HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
kihei

vCash: 1800
I think we can knock Cloud Atlas safely off best movie list. I saw it this afternoon and thought it was awful.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:55 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I think we can knock Cloud Atlas safely off best movie list. I saw it this afternoon and thought it was awful.
I don't think you can ever knock anything done by Tom Hanks off the list for the Oscars that quickly...they absolutely love him. Plus, Extremely Loud and Incredible Close wasn't that great either, but it got a nomination.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:06 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't think you can ever knock anything done by Tom Hanks off the list for the Oscars that quickly...they absolutely love him. Plus, Extremely Loud and Incredible Close wasn't that great either, but it got a nomination.
Both your points are good ones. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was worse, I must admit. That one was sickeningly bad, this one is just in the god-awful category. If Cloud Atlas does manage to get nominated, it will certainly qualify as our mediocre nominee for the year, that's for sure.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Philly85
Moody'

for all the flack Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got here, I thought that kid actor was awesome. I have to admit I didn't mind the movie. just saw it a few nights ago.

For some reason there's always a couple movies released throughout the year which seem to be universally panned by critics yet I'm able to enjoy/appreciate. I have a feeling Cloud Atlas may be one of those movies. Wish I hadn't read all the reviews and seen all the comments on it yet, I wanted to see it in theatres.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:58 PM
kihei

Saw the Les Mis trailer yesterday, and it looks very, very classy. Same director as The King's Speech. If I were a betting man....

John Hawkes is very deserving for The Sessions, as well. A beautiful performance and all from the neck up.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Stu Macher

I don't know how good Les Mis will be, but as far as trailers go, I think that's a really well made one.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:21 PM
SB164

Quote:
John Hawkes is very deserving for The Sessions, as well. A beautiful performance and all from the neck up.
John Hawkes is on quite a hot streak recently. In the past year or so, he's starred in Winter's Bone and Martha Marcy May Marlene, and now he'll be seen The Sessions and Lincoln.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:57 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Saw the Les Mis trailer yesterday, and it looks very, very classy. Same director as The King's Speech. If I were a betting man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I don't know how good Les Mis will be, but as far as trailers go, I think that's a really well made one.
Les Mis is going to depend on the quality of the music...and from the parts that have been in the trailers...it looks like it does the musical part justice.

It certainly has an excellent cast and as mentioned direction...I'm really looking forward to it.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:41 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Yep.

As I said a few posts ago, I thought it just might have enough passionate defenders to squeeze in based on the advanced word, but I don't think as much passion as I anticipated ever materialized and the box office thud of this past weekend surely will doom it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Stu Macher

Some critics I really respect (Roger Ebert and Michael Phillips) have given Flight glowing reviews, especially Denzel Washington. I'm definitely going to see it this weekend, so I'll know more, but I'm wondering what his chances are of getting nominated. It's well received so far, with a mid 80's percentage on RT. Plus, as we know, Denzel is a 2 time Oscar winner, so he's obviously very respected in that community.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
sully1410

I could see Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce being nominated for Lawless.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
sully1410

Isn't Django Unchained coming out soon? I imagine that will attract some buzz for best picture, screen play and acting I imagine.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
SB164

Quote:
Some critics I really respect (Roger Ebert and Michael Phillips) have given Flight glowing reviews, especially Denzel Washington. I'm definitely going to see it this weekend, so I'll know more, but I'm wondering what his chances are of getting nominated. It's well received so far, with a mid 80's percentage on RT. Plus, as we know, Denzel is a 2 time Oscar winner, so he's obviously very respected in that community.
I've been looking forward to that movie. I think at this point, anything Denzel does which even comes close to Oscar territory, will garner him a nomination (Tom Hanks is another example.)

Old
11-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
The role was tailor-made from Denzel and he killed it. I think he'd be getting more buzz if the film had marketed as the character study it actually is instead of as a thriller.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Isn't Django Unchained coming out soon? I imagine that will attract some buzz for best picture, screen play and acting I imagine.
Christmas Day 2012: Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and Les Miserables. That's a hell of a lineup huh?

Edit: The Great Gatsby has been moved to summer 2013. My bad.

Last edited by SB164: 11-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 07:46 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Christmas Day 2012: Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and Les Miserables. That's a hell of a lineup huh?
Gatsby will get a lot. Will we see Leo break his losing streak?

Old
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Stu Macher

Didn't The Great Gatsby get pushe back to 2013?

Old
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Didn't The Great Gatsby get pushe back to 2013?
I didn't think so...but when died the "season" end? It doesn't actually stop at the end of December does it?

Old
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
I didn't think so...but when died the "season" end? It doesn't actually stop at the end of December does it?
Oscar season ends in December. From what I'm seeing the new release date of The Great Gatsby is in May 2013.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:08 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Lincoln is going to win a lot.

The academy has a huge bias for biopics, especially if they are about royalty/politics/elitists and are 19th century setting

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Lincoln is going to win a lot.

The academy has a huge bias for biopics, especially if they are about royalty/politics/elitists and are 19th century setting
I KNOW!!!!

It pisses me off to no end. They also seem to favour the obscure. Take for example the year 2005. Forest Whitaker won for the last king of Scotland...when the trophy should have gone to Leo for Blood Diamond. You had a mainstream movie with amazing acting and a movie that was made famous by the Oscar.

Man is that guy ever due. I feel so bad for him lol.

The fact that Al Pacino only has one Oscar, for Scent of a Woman of all things, when he played in some of the defining roles of film during the time. Michael Corleone, Serpico, Sonny in Dog Day Afternoon, Carlito, Scarface...

Sometimes I think they avoid giving oscars to the popular movies just make themselves look more cultured or something by going against public opinion.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:14 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
I KNOW!!!!

It pisses me off to no end. They also seem to favour the obscure. Take for example the year 2005. Forest Whitaker won for the last king of Scotland...when the trophy should have gone to Ryan Gosling for Half Nelson. You had a mainstream movie with amazing acting and a movie that was made famous by the Oscar.
Fixed. .

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:01 PM
invictus

Quote:
I KNOW!!!!

It pisses me off to no end. They also seem to favour the obscure. Take for example the year 2005. Forest Whitaker won for the last king of Scotland...when the trophy should have gone to Leo for Blood Diamond. You had a mainstream movie with amazing acting and a movie that was made famous by the Oscar.

Man is that guy ever due. I feel so bad for him lol.

The fact that Al Pacino only has one Oscar, for Scent of a Woman of all things, when he played in some of the defining roles of film during the time. Michael Corleone, Serpico, Sonny in Dog Day Afternoon, Carlito, Scarface...

Sometimes I think they avoid giving oscars to the popular movies just make themselves look more cultured or something by going against public opinion.
Why do you care about the Oscars when you are so aware of their limitations in voting and such? The history of the Academy is rife with examples of real head-scratchers. It isn't like getting an Oscar or not changes the inherent value of the film.

Also, Leo did not deserve the Oscar that year if for no other reason than his godawful accent in the film

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:13 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
I called on two friends to help me judge. The first is Ryan, a lawyer from Johannesburg. I showed him the above trailer for Invictus and the below trailer for Blood Diamond.

As far as their accents go, I don’t really think it’s close—Leo is just unbelievable. Although he’s not perfect, I could believe that he was a South African (he plays a Zimbabwean [in The Blood Diamond], but the accents can be the same).
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...cent-is-better

Maybe you're also South African or Zimbabwean and hear it differently, but having spent a bit of time with people from that part of the world, I also think his accent was pretty on the ball.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:15 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Why do you care about the Oscars when you are so aware of their limitations in voting and such? The history of the Academy is rife with examples of real head-scratchers. It isn't like getting an Oscar or not changes the inherent value of the film.

Also, Leo did not deserve the Oscar that year if for no other reason than his godawful accent in the film
Because I love movies, that's why I care. I just would like to think that the best actually gets recognized.

His accent was pretty dead on, but I thought the performance in the Departed was better regardless. In really starting to wonder is Leo is going to turn into our generations Peter O'Toole.