HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
11-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
In really starting to wonder is Leo is going to turn into our generations Peter O'Toole.
He'd have to be a better actor that shows more range to be our generations Peter O'Toole. Just my personal opinion, I know most people love him. For me, I've always preferred Matt Damon as an actor out of that generation. I think Damon can do anything DiCaprio can do (but better), and more. But again, I think I like Matt Damon more than most.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:17 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
He'd have to be a better actor that shows more range to be our generations Peter O'Toole. Just my personal opinion, I know most people love him. For me, I've always preferred Matt Damon as an actor out of that generation. I think Damon can do anything DiCaprio can do (but better), and more. But again, I think I like Matt Damon more than most.
Russell Crowe would be my guy from that generation of English language actors. He's full of little surprises. Not getting any buzz whatsoever for his supporting role in Les Mis, though.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:35 PM
SB164

Since we're on the subject, here's a brilliant scene from the great Peter O'Toole:

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:40 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...cent-is-better

Maybe you're also South African or Zimbabwean and hear it differently, but having spent a bit of time with people from that part of the world, I also think his accent was pretty on the ball.
Quote:
Because I love movies, that's why I care. I just would like to think that the best actually gets recognized.

His accent was pretty dead on, but I thought the performance in the Departed was better regardless. In really starting to wonder is Leo is going to turn into our generations Peter O'Toole.
I have spent a about a year and a half in Africa. I honestly think all the praise for his accent was akin Americans get when they make attempts to speak less common foreign languages.

For example, if I speak French averagely, the French are notorious for not taking too kindly to their language not sounding great. Whenever I speak to Russians, I get praised to no end for how good I sound, even though I know my Russian pronunciation is rather similar in quality to my French.

Either way, I was just trying to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. I just don't see why anyone cares what the Oscars think. They do a terrible job picking best picture candidates and winners most years. Three 6 Mafia has more Oscars than Alfred Hitchcock. Why do these people have any credibility?

Anyway, I always thought Leo would have a great second career behind the scenes in Hollywood. He seems to have a very good eye for scripts.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Russell Crowe would be my guy from that generation of English language actors. He's full of little surprises. Not getting any buzz whatsoever for his supporting role in Les Mis, though.
That is certainly not a bad choice. My personal favorite Russell Crowe performance that I've seen would probably actually be Master and Commander. Love that movie.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:03 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I like Russell Crowe. I do believe that Leonardo DiCaprio will be remembered as one of the greatest actors of our generation. He has had some amazing roles, and almost every single one of them has been in amazing movies.

I find it ridiculous that you can say that the guy doesn't have depth when you take a look at his résumé and he has been in almost every kind of role, minus comedy(but he's kind of tackled that with Django Unchained, it looks funny at least).

The guy has portrayed historical figures(Howard Hughes and j.edgar), a merc(blood diamond), cops(the departed, shutter island), a criminal(inception, gangs of bew york) and been a piece of something bigger(titanic)...

He has done it all, so I find it strange that you can say that he lacks depth. The guy even pulled off Shakespeare really well.

I'm also partial to Robert Downey Jr.(who's accents are impeccable.)

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:48 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I know it is slightly OT for the thread, but Les Miserables has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. Is it just me or has that movie been made like 5 times already

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I know it is slightly OT for the thread, but Les Miserables has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. Is it just me or has that movie been made like 5 times already
It's been done a few times, and you know it was just done...probably fifteen years ago. I'm pretty sure it had Liam Neeson in it.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Looking at IMDB, it seems that this is the 18th full length film adaptation to be released in theatres (albeit over the span of a 100 years and most of those many years ago). That's not including all the TV movies, series, or short films based on the book. Although this is the first adaptation of the musical, so it does have that uniqueness.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:21 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
Looking at IMDB, it seems that this is the 18th full length film adaptation to be released in theatres. That's not including all the tv movies, series, or short films based on the book. Although this is the first adaptation of the musical, so it does have that uniqueness.
According to Wikipedia these are all the adaptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Books

1935, Jean Val Jean, a condensed retelling by Solomon Cleaver

Film and television

1897, Victor Hugo et les principaux personnages des misérables by the Lumière brothers
1907, On the barricade, directed Alice Guy Blaché, early adaptation of a part of the novel
1907, Le Chemineau
1909, directed by J. Stuart Blackton
1909, The Bishop's Candlesticks, directed by Edwin S. Porter
1910, Aa mujo, first Japanese adaptation
1911, directed by Albert Capellani
1913, directed again by Albert Capellani
1913, The Bishop's Candlesticks, directed Herbert Brenon, adaptation of the second book of the first volume
1917, directed by Frank Lloyd
1922, director unknown
1923, Aa Mujou, directed by Kiyohiko Ushihara and Yoshinobu Ikeda, Japanese film, production cancelled after two of four parts
1925, directed by Henri Fescourt
1929, The Bishop's Candlesticks, directed by Norman McKinnell, first sound film adaptation
1929, Aa Mujo, directed by Seika Shiba, Japanese film
1931, Jean Valjean, directed by Tomu Uchida, Japanese film
1934, 4.5 hour French version directed by Raymond Bernard
1935, directed by Richard Boleslawski, starring Fredric March and Charles Laughton, nominated for Best Picture Academy Award
1937, Gavrosh, directed by Tatyana Lukashevich, Soviet film
1938, Kyojinden, directed by Mansaku Itami, Japanese film
1943, Los Miserables, directed by Renando A. Rovero, Mexican film
1944, El Boassa, directed by Kamal Selim, Egyptian film
1948, I Miserabili, directed by Riccardo Freda
1949, Les Nouveaux Misérables, directed by Henri Verneuil
1950, Re mizeraburu: Kami to Akuma, directed by Daisuke Ito (English title: Gods and Demons)
1950, Ezhai Padum Padu and Beedala Patlu, directed by K. Ramnoth in Tamil and Telugu.
1952, directed by Lewis Milestone
1952, I miserabili, re-release of the 1948 film
1955, Kundan, directed by Sohrab Modi, Indian Hindi film
1955, Aa mujo, Japanese adaptation, director unknown
1956, Duppathage Duka, Sri Lankan Sinhala film
1957, Sirakaruwa, directed by Sirisena Wimalaweera, Sri Lankan Sinhala film
1958, directed by Jean-Paul Le Chanois, starring Jean Gabin
1958, Os Miseráveis, directed by Dionísio Azevedo, Brazilian film
1961, Jean Valjean, Korean film by Seung-ha Jo
1961, Cosette, directed by Alain Boudet on Claude Santelli’s program Le Théâtre de la jeunesse
1962, Gavroche, directed by Alain Boudet on Le Théâtre de la jeunesse
1963, Jean Valjean, directed by Alain Boudet on Le Théâtre de la jeunesse
1964, I miserabili, Italian TV-miniseries directed by Sandro Bolchi, starring: Gastone Moschin (Jean Valjean), Tino Carraro (Javert), Giulia Lazzarini (Fantine/adult Cosette), Loretta Goggi (young Cosette), Antonio Battistella (Thénardier), Cesarina Gheraldi (Mme. Thénardier), Angela Cardile (Éponine), Roberto Bisacco (Marius), Claudio Sora (Enjolras), Aldo Silvani (Monseigneur Bienvenu) and Edoardo Nevola (Gavroche), nearly ten hours long
1964, Aa mujo, Japanese film, director unknown
1967, TV miniseries directed by Alan Bridges, starring: Frank Finlay (Jean Valjean), Anthony Bate (Javert), Alan Rowe (Thénardier), Judy Parfitt (Mme. Thénardier), Michele Dotrice (Fantine), Lesley Roach (Cosette), Elizabeth Counsell (Éponine), Vivian Mackerall (Marius), Derek Lamden (Gavroche), Cavan Kendall (Enjolras), Finlay Currie (Bishop of Digne)
1967, Os Miseráveis, Brazilian film
1967, Sefiller, Turkish film
1972, Beedala Patlu, Indian Telegu film directed by B. Vittalacharya
1972, Gnana Oli ("The light of wisdom"), Indian Tamil loose adaptation, directed by P. Madhavan
1972, French TV miniseries directed by Marcel Bluwal, starring: Georges Géret (Jean Valjean), Bernard Fresson (Javert), Nicole Jamet (Cosette), François Marthouret (Marius), Alain Mottet (Thénardier), Micha Bayard (Mme. Thénardier), Hermine Karagheuz (Éponine), Anne-Marie Coffinet (Fantine), Jean-Luc Boutté (Enjolras), Gilles Maidon (Gavroche), François Vibert (Monseigneur Myriel)
1973, Los Miserables, Mexican TV adaptation directed by Antulio Jiménez Pons. Starring: Sergio Bustamante (Jean Valjean), Antonio Passy (Javert), Blanca Sánchez (Fantine), Edith González (Young Cosette), Carlos Ancira (Thénardier), Magda Guzmán (Mme. Thénardier), Diana Bracho (Cosette), Luis Torner (Marius), María Rojo (Éponine), Carlos Arguelles (Gavroche), Héctor Bonilla (Enjolras), Ángel Garasa (Bishop Myriel), Fernando Soler (M. Gillenormand), Alejandro Ciangherotti (Fauchelevent), José Luis Jiménez (Mabeuf)
1977, Neethipeedam, In Indian Malayalam, based on Alfred Hitchcock's The Wrong Man and Les misérables
1978, UK telefilm, directed by Glenn Jordan and starring Anthony Perkins, Richard Jordan, John Gielgud, Cyril Cusack, and Claude Dauphin
1978, Al Boasa, Egyptian adaptation
1980/81, Inochimoyu, Japanese TV series for NHK with 23 episodes
1982, directed by Robert Hossein
1985, TV version of the 1982 film, which is 30 minutes longer and divided into four parts
1987 directed by Mara Mattuschka
1988, Nihon Jean Valjean monogatari: Ai mujo ("Japanese Jean Valjean's story"), Japanese TV series
1989, Ngon Co Gio Dua, Vietnamese film directed by Hgô Ngoc Xun
1995, directed by Claude Lelouch (a loose, multi-layered adaptation set in the 20th century starring Jean-Paul Belmondo)
1995, Les Misérables – The Dream Cast in Concert (musical done in concert style)
1998, directed by Bille August and starring Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush, Uma Thurman, Hans Matheson, and Claire Danes
1998 මනුතාපය Sinhala Translation (Manutaapaya) by ඊරියගොල්ල සූරීන් (Mr. Iiriyagolla)
2000, 6-hour French TV miniseries directed by Josée Dayan and co-produced by Gérard Depardieu, starring: Gérard Depardieu (Jean Valjean), John Malkovich (Javert), Christian Clavier (Thénardier), Veronica Ferres (Mme. Thénardier), Charlotte Gainsbourg (Fantine), Virginie Ledoyen (Cosette), Enrico Lo Verso (Marius), Asia Argento (Éponine), Jeanne Moreau (Mother Innocente), Steffen Wink (Enjolras), Jérôme Hardelay (Gavroche), Otto Sander (Monseigneur Bienvenu)
2000, 3-hour English TV movie version of the 2000 French miniseries.
2010, Les Misérables – 25th Anniversary (musical done in concert style)
2011, Les Misérables – Sold in the US, played on PBS in early March.
2011, Les misérables: Tempête sous un crâne, filmed stage play by Jean Bellorini and Camille de la Guillonnière
2012, adaptation of the stage musical, directed by Tom Hooper.

Animation

1966, Gavrosh, Soviet animation short
1977, Cosette, Soviet claymation short
1977, Shoujo Cosette, broadcast on the Japanese television program Manga Sekai Mukashi Banashi, 1 episode, Japanese animation
1978, Aa Mujo, cover the first two volumes of the novel, broadcast on Manga Sekai Mukashi Banashi, 13 episodes, Japanese animation
1979, Jean Valjean Monogatari, directed by Takashi Kuoka for Toei Animation and written by Masaki Tsuji, Japanese animation
1988, by Emerald City Productions
1992, a 26 episode French animated TV series by Studios Animage, AB Productions and Pixibox
1993, 90-minute animated movie cut together from the just mentioned series
2007, Les Misérables: Shōjo Cosette, a 52 episode Japanese animated TV series by Nippon Animation

Radio

1937, Les Misérables, a seven-part series written, produced, directed by and starring Orson Welles[14][15]
1952, directed by Earl Ebi[16]
1982, directed by Hyman Brown[17]
2001, directed by Sally Evans and Jeremy Mortimer[18][19]
2002, directed by Philip Glassborow[20]

Musical
Main article: Les Misérables (musical)

In 1980, a musical of the same name opened in Paris at the Palais des Sports. It has gone on to become one of the most successful musicals in history. It was directed by Robert Hossein, the music was composed by Claude-Michel Schönberg, and the libretto was written by Alain Boublil.

An English language version opened in London at the Barbican Arts Centre in 1985. It was produced by Cameron Mackintosh and adapted and directed by Trevor Nunn and John Caird. The lyrics were written by Herbert Kretzmer and additional material by James Fenton.

Other notable production:

1987: the musical debuted on Broadway in New York City at the Broadway Theatre.
1987: "Les Misérables premiered in the National theatre of Iceland
1992: the musical premiered in Madrid at Teatro Nuevo Apolo.
2003: Les Misérables: School Edition
2008" Les Misérables: Le Capitole de Québec version, directed by Frédéric Dubois
2010: Les Misérables, 25th Anniversary Production opened in Madrid at Teatro Lope de Vega.
2011: Les Misérables at Malmö Opera, Sweden
2011: Les Misérables at The Kennedy Center, Washington DC

Plays

In 1863, one year after the novel was published, Charles Victor Hugo (Hugo's son) and Paul Meurice first adapted the novel for theatre.[21][22]
In 1906, Broadway actor Wilton Lackaye wrote an adaptation in five acts, titled The Law and the Man, though primarily with the interest of creating himself a strong role (he would play Valjean).[23]
An outdoor adaptation is performed in the summer every year at the Citadelle in Montreuil-sur-Mer,[21][24] the setting of the first part of the book.
There is a play adaptation by Jonathan Holloway.[21][25] Donvale Christian College performed the Holloway adaptation for stage during late April 2010, using limited modern objects for certain scenes.
There is a play adaptation by Tim Kelly.[21][26]
There is a play adaptation by Spiritual Twist Productions titled, "Les Miserables: A Story of Grace".[21][27] This play highlights more of the religious aspect from the novel.[21][27] It was last performed in April 2010 at Colonial Baptist Church in Cary.[27]

Games

An adventure game has been released by Chris Tolworthy, intended as a direct adaptation of the book.[28][29]
There is a free downloadable amateur 2D fighting game based on the musical. The game is called ArmJoe, which is created by Takase.[30][31][32] The name is a pun on the novel's Japanese title Aa Mujou (ああ無情).[31][32] The game incorporates the major characters as they appear in the musical, namely Jean Valjean, Enjolras, Marius, Cosette, Éponine, Thénardier, and Javert – as well as a policeman, a robotic clone of Valjean called RoboJean, an embodiment of Judgement, and a rabbit named Ponpon.[32]

Unofficial sequels

In July 1995, Laura Kalpakian's novel Cosette: The Sequel to Les Misérables was released. The novel is published by HarperCollins. Tom De Haven from Entertainment Weekly called the novel "dull and overwrought and corny,"[33] and gave it a C- grading.[33] The novel is more of a sequel to the musical than to Hugo's novel.

In 2001, François Cérésa released his own two sequels to the novel: Cosette or the Time of Illusions and the follow-up Marius or The Fugitive. Both novels are published by Plon. Hugo's descendants, including his great-great-grandson Pierre Hugo, wanted the novels banned, considering that they breach the moral rights of the author and betrays the "respect of the integrity" and "spirit" of Hugo's original novel to make money.[34][35][36][37] Cérésa had even retconned a key scene in the original novel, bringing back the character Inspector Javert and changed him to be a hero.[34][37][38] In 2007, the Cour de Cassation ruled in favour of Cérésa and Plon.[34][35][36]

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
I like Russell Crowe. I do believe that Leonardo DiCaprio will be remembered as one of the greatest actors of our generation. He has had some amazing roles, and almost every single one of them has been in amazing movies.

I find it ridiculous that you can say that the guy doesn't have depth when you take a look at his résumé and he has been in almost every kind of role, minus comedy(but he's kind of tackled that with Django Unchained, it looks funny at least).

The guy has portrayed historical figures(Howard Hughes and j.edgar), a merc(blood diamond), cops(the departed, shutter island), a criminal(inception, gangs of bew york) and been a piece of something bigger(titanic)...

He has done it all, so I find it strange that you can say that he lacks depth. The guy even pulled off Shakespeare really well.

I'm also partial to Robert Downey Jr.(who's accents are impeccable.)
Yes, DiCaprio has played a lot of different types of parts. But they always go through the DiCaprio filter and become exactly the same. I'll be interested to see his next role where he's got his hair slicked back, and is dead serious until he yells.

EDIT: To be fair, of the best actor nominees that year, I would have picked DiCaprio pver Foxx.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:41 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Crowe as Javert really intrigues me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
That is certainly not a bad choice. My personal favorite Russell Crowe performance that I've seen would probably actually be Master and Commander. Love that movie.
Hated M&C myself. Much preferred Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Crowe as Javert really intrigues me.

Hated M&C myself. Much preferred Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind.
And I liked him best in The Insider and 3:10 to Yuma. I think these picks go to show that he is very good in a lot of varied movies.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
And I liked him best in The Insider and 3:10 to Yuma. I think these picks go to show that he is very good in a lot of varied movies.
I haven't seen either of them yet...one day I'll get around to it.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
You're right, he was tremendous in The Insider, and would have been my pick for best actor that year. I had been talking to a friend recently about Crowe's combination of brains and brawn as an actor. You've obviously got your performances like Gladiator and Master and Commander or L.A. Confidential, where his strength is in the forefront. Then you've got roles like The Insider and A Beautiful Mind where he's more reserved and a rack of nerves, and he knocks that out of the park too. He really is a terrific actor.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is that pretty. She kinda looks weird to me. She's definitely a great actress, though. Could be the next Tilda Swinton.

I haven't seen most of these movies you guys are mentioning. I should probably change that.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Russell Crowe had such a great run from the late 1990s through the mid-2000s that I can't even hold his lackluster last few years against him.
Put my votes down for The Insider and LA Confidential as his best with Master & Commander and A Beautiful Mind (a movie, I actual strongly dislike overall) next.

I think Matt Damon is very versatile and almost always delivers as well.

As for Leo -- he's good, but he's limited. He's very good at what he does, but other than The Aviator, his post Titanic career seems to be playing the same brooding, intense, serious role over and over. Some are shaded more than others, but it all feels the same, which is part of the reason I'm excited/interested in Django Unchained where it looks like he might even be having ... gasp ... FUN with a role for once.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
It's like Pride and Prejudice. Gets redone every 10 years or so.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Russell Crowe had such a great run from the late 1990s through the mid-2000s that I can't even hold his lackluster last few years against him.
Put my votes down for The Insider and LA Confidential as his best with Master & Commander and A Beautiful Mind (a movie, I actual strongly dislike overall) next.

I think Matt Damon is very versatile and almost always delivers as well.

As for Leo -- he's good, but he's limited. He's very good at what he does, but other than The Aviator, his post Titanic career seems to be playing the same brooding, intense, serious role over and over. Some are shaded more than others, but it all feels the same, which is part of the reason I'm excited/interested in Django Unchained where it looks like he might even be having ... gasp ... FUN with a role for once.
I know, I know. Leo having fun. Just imagine. Hell must be in the process of freezing over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
It's like Pride and Prejudice. Gets redone every 10 years or so.
Hugo's novel gets adapted every decade of so somewhere, but this movie is an adaptation of the monster hit musical that set records on Broadway and everywhere else it played. One of those hugely expensive theatrical extravaganzas like Phantom of the Opera. It comes with its own built-in audience, plus the curious who like me didn't want to pay a fortune to see a musical in a theatrical production. Same director as The King's Speech, Tom Hooper, and a top flight cast (Jackman, Hathaway, Crowe, Seyfried), all of whom (I think) can sing. The trailer looks like no expense was denied the production. Definitely a major league contender, sight unseen.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
I know, I know. Leo having fun. Just imagine. Hell must be in the process of freezing over.
In a bit of fairness to Leo, it isn't like Crowe is the jolliest of actors (though his Jack Aubrey, still not a barrel of monkeys, is charming). But Crowe has at least shown plenty of range in his seriousness.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Saw a trailer for Hitchcock last night before The Sessions, which made me remember its existence. It's not getting any Oscar buzz which I find unusual, considering it's Anthony Hopkins (incarnating one of cinema's own) and Helen Mirren. That's gotta count for something for the voters, no?

It doesn't look like a real heavyweight of a movie, but I'm surprised it isn't being mentioned for any acting nods...anybody heard anything?

Stealth edit: There was also a trailer for Stoker, the new film by Park Chan-wook. Another movie I totally forgot about it but looks like it could be very interesting. Really don't see any Oscar hopes for it though.

Last edited by hototogisu: 11-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.
hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
kihei

Quote:
In a bit of fairness to Leo, it isn't like Crowe is the jolliest of actors (though his Jack Aubrey, still not a barrel of monkeys, is charming). But Crowe has at least shown plenty of range in his seriousness.
Definitely disagree. I think he has a little sparkle in his eye in a lot of roles, which is one of the things I liked about him in 3:10 to Yuma. Even in his throwaway works like A Good Year and State of Play, he can communicate a bit of playfulness. He looks to me like, whatever else his life is like, he has fun at his job. Well, maybe not Robin Hood.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Saw a trailer for Hitchcock last night before The Sessions, which made me remember its existence. It's not getting any Oscar buzz which I find unusual, considering it's Anthony Hopkins (incarnating one of cinema's own) and Helen Mirren. That's gotta count for something for the voters, no?

It doesn't look like a real heavyweight of a movie, but I'm surprised it isn't being mentioned for any acting nods...anybody heard anything?

Stealth edit: There was also a trailer for Stoker, the new film by Park Chan-wook. Another movie I totally forgot about it but looks like it could be very interesting. Really don't see any Oscar hopes for it though.
I don't think I've seen any advance word about Hitchcock other than the fact that it was bumped up into 2012, which means someone behind the scenes thinks it can make a play for something.

I agree that it doesn't seem like a heavy hitter, but with the two leads and the subject matter, I don't think either Hopkins or Mirren could be counted out at this early point.

Gold Derby has them both slotted 7th in their respective races at this point:
http://www.goldderby.com/odds/experts/56/

Old
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Definitely disagree. I think he has a little sparkle in his eye in a lot of roles, which is one of the things I liked about him in 3:10 to Yuma. Even in his throwaway works like A Good Year and State of Play, he can communicate a bit of playfulness. He looks to me like, whatever else his life is like, he has fun at his job. Well, maybe not Robin Hood.
Ok, you got me. I forgot 3:10 to Yuma and most egregiously A Good Year, which I think is one of the most unfairly maligned movies of the 2000s. Bad job by me.

Edit: Cinderella Man too -- flawed movie, good performance (and likeable too).

Old
11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
kihei

Quote:
I don't think I've seen any advance word about Hitchcock other than the fact that it was bumped up into 2012, which means someone behind the scenes thinks it can make a play for something.

I agree that it doesn't seem like a heavy hitter, but with the two leads and the subject matter, I don't think either Hopkins or Mirren could be counted out at this early point.

Gold Derby has them both slotted 7th in their respective races at this point:
http://www.goldderby.com/odds/experts/56/
Wow. Great site.