HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
One of those instances where the reward has more to do with the mise en scene than it does with the cinematography, maybe?
Maybe, but I'm no mise-en-scene expert - which is why I stayed out of that discussion earlier

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
vecens24

My assumption is that they almost fill out the 10 picture quota for Best Picture this year:

Argo, Lincoln, SLP, Les Mis, The Master, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, Moonrise Kingdom, Hitchcock, Life of Pi, Beasts of the SW, Anna Karenina.....plus longer shots like Amour, The Sessions, Avengers (should be at least short listed even if it doesn't make the cut).

This is a really strong year for the Academy in my opinion as far as depth of nominees. My guess is that something like Django Unchained gets left out and gets cited for acting with DiCaprio and maybe another. Moonrise Kingdom will probably get a nom for writing and left out of BP (although it is my favorite movie of the year so far). Same with Amour. But this is definitely the strongest year for films we've had in a while.

By the way, totally random comment #1: but I've totally seen Chris Pratt getting some random buzz for Supporting Actor in Zero Dark Thirty. That would probably be the most insane unpredictable nomination ever if you watch him in Parks and Rec.

Totally Random Comment #2: I'm rooting for Bill Murray in Hyde Park on Hudson. Any chance he beats Phoenix or Lewis? Anyone seen it?

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:22 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Anyone else really surprised at Lincoln's critical reception so far? I thought for sure this was going to be another sentimental, manipulative cheesefest from Spielberg. Didn't think it was going to be an intelligent and thought provoking movie. Tony Kushner's script probably deserves a lot of thanks for that, as it looks like the film focuses on the meaty part of Lincoln's final years in office, as opposed to a formulaic, "epic" life story.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
Anyone else really surprised at Lincoln's critical reception so far? I thought for sure this was going to be another sentimental, manipulative cheesefest from Spielberg. Didn't think it was going to be an intelligent and thought provoking movie. Tony Kushner's script probably deserves a lot of thanks for that, as it looks like the film focuses on the meaty part of Lincoln's final years in office, as opposed to a formulaic, "epic" life story.
I've only heard great things about the original source of the screenplay, Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Stu Macher

Zero Dark Thirty is getting awards buzz, and I saw something on it today that was interesting to me. In an interview with the films composer, he said it doesn't seem like an action movie, but more like a Kurosawa film. If true, that sounds good to me. But who knows how accurate that is.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Lincoln is a very good movie. It does its job in the way a good shoe does its job: well made, comfortable, functional, no unwanted surprises, but not very exciting. It is certainly an absolute lock for a nomination for both best picture and direction. Day-Lewis provides a fine impersonation of Lincoln. Though it's not the kind of performance that excites me, it will undoubtedly get nominated, as well. So I mostly agree with the positive reviews that it seems to be getting: I can't imagine ever wanting to see it again, though.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:10 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
There are a couple of moments when Spielberg can't resist a little nod to the sentimental, but almost entirely he sticks to telling the story in an informative way, minus the usual cheese. I don't know how thought provoking I'd call the movie, but it does definitely focus on the meaty parts of Lincoln's career. It's a very literate, intelligent script, for sure, though on the windy side in some sections. It looked like everybody did their homework.

I'd say it is a serious contender (I don't know if it is funny or pathetic, but if the nominations came out today, my English-language rooting interest for the Best Picture award would be Skyfall. Fat chance, though).

Last edited by kihei: 11-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Zero Dark Thirty is getting awards buzz, and I saw something on it today that was interesting to me. In an interview with the films composer, he said it doesn't seem like an action movie, but more like a Kurosawa film. If true, that sounds good to me. But who knows how accurate that is.
That's some great news.

The thing with The Hurt Locker is that we had no idea how the story was going to play out, who was going to succeed, who was going to fail, etc. Bigelow made it extremely intense with her directing. Now she has to go a different route because we know none of these guys die and Osama is killed. I'm interested to see how she approaches the story, and I'm glad to hear it's not simply an action film.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Habsfan22100

Looks like Christoph Waltz will be in the running for lead actor instead of supporting. Really looking forward to see what he does.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Stu Macher

New trailer for Les Miserables. Judging from that, it seems to me that at the very least, it will look great. It truly looks like a big production. Should be interesting.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:16 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
I thought the song in Skyfall was pretty good. I could see it being nominated for original song (assuming it is original), however I doubt it wins this year with Les Mis coming out.

edit: Although now that I think about it all the songs in Les Mis would probably be adapted from the musical, so unless they make their own then Les Mis won't win

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Apparently the Silver Linings Playbook is getting a lot of Oscar buzz(entertainment magazine) marking Jennifer Lawrence as one of the front runners in the best Actress category. Loved her in Winters Bone.

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Apparently the Silver Linings Playbook is getting a lot of Oscar buzz(entertainment magazine) marking Jennifer Lawrence as one of the front runners in the best Actress category. Loved her in Winters Bone.
I guess that would make at a pretty good year for her. Starring in a movie that grossed nearly 700 million worldwide, then winning an Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role.

That would be pretty good for a 22 year old.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:31 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Any chance for Tommy Lee Jones for supporting actor?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
From the early buzz, it seems like he has a good chance. I would say it might depend what the studio decides to do with Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master. If they put him in supporting, he could be some good competition for TLJ.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post

New trailer for Les Miserables. Judging from that, it seems to me that at the very least, it will look great. It truly looks like a big production. Should be interesting.
I can't be the only who cracked up when Russell Crowe started singing.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:13 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
He is a lock for a nomination in what will likely be a very strong category. In addition to Seymour Hoffman, I like Arkin (Argo) and DeNiro's (Silver Lining Playbook) chances for nominations as well.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Anyone seen The Sessions yet?

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
http://www.goldderby.com/odds/experts/56/

She got 21 out of 35 votes by "experts" that list is actually a pretty good reference for this thread as a whole.

Skyfall #6 in Cinematography which I disagree with wholeheartedly. Maybe Life of Pi has it beat, but the Master and Lincoln absolutely don't have it beat.

Brave should not be that high over Wreck it Ralph. If it wins it will simply be because of the message of female empowerment and the Pixar name. Very forgettable film. No where near Wall-E and Toy Story 3. Hell even How to Train Your Dragon was better.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

She got 21 out of 35 votes by "experts" that list is actually a pretty good reference for this thread as a whole.

Skyfall #6 in Cinematography which I disagree with wholeheartedly. Maybe Life of Pi has it beat, but the Master and Lincoln absolutely don't have it beat.

Brave should not be that high over Wreck it Ralph. If it wins it will simply be because of the message of female empowerment and the Pixar name. Very forgettable film. No where near Wall-E and Toy Story 3. Hell even How to Train Your Dragon was better.
The one that jumps out at me is Looper in 11th for Make-up...

11-20-2012, 01:21 AM
kihei

Quote:
The Master is a serious contender for best cinematography, but I agree about Lincoln.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:44 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:

How to Train Your Dragon is better than Wall-E and Toy Story 3.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Stu Macher

I wouldn't mind seeing Roger Deakins win for Skyfall, which is wonderfully shot, but my rooting interest there is still with The Master. Not just because it's still my #1 of the year, but because it just looks that great.

I haven't seen Lincoln yet (I will hopefully be seeing it tomorrow), but it seems like every time Janusz Kaminski makes a movie with Spielberg, he has a chance of getting nominated. Just like how Best Makeup or Best Visual Effects often are awarded to the film with the MOST makeup or visual effects, Kaminski seems to get it by MOST Cinematography. You almost have to wear sunglasses in the theater to not be blinded by the light.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:

Haven't seen Lincoln yet, but The Master easily has Skyfall beat for cinematography. As they say, AINEC.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:42 PM
SB164

Does Sally Field have a chance of winning Best Actress for Lincoln? I mean, we know the Academy like her, they really like her.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote