HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The one that jumps out at me is Looper in 11th for Make-up...
Didn't ROTK and FOTR win?

I would imagine the Hobbit has a chance, especially with all the dwarfs and creatures and what not

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Does Sally Field have a chance of winning Best Actress for Lincoln? I mean, we know the Academy like her, they really like her.
From what I've seen, she's more likely to be considered as Best Supporting. I know Anne Hathaway is an early favorite for that, and I really liked Amy Adams in The Master (how weird is it to think that Amy Adams is already a 3 time Oscar nominee?).

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
SB164

Anthony Hopkins is no fan of Oscar campaigning:

"I've got the Oscar myself for "Silence of the Lambs" -- and having to be nice to people and to be charming and flirting with them ... oh, come on! People go out of their way to flatter the nominating body and I think it's kind of disgusting. That's always been against my nature.

You know, kissing the backside of the authorities that can make or break it; I can't stand all that. I find it nauseating to watch and I think it's disgusting to behold. People groveling around and kissing the backsides of famous producers and all that. It makes me want to throw up, it really does. It's sick-making. I've seen it so many times. I saw it fairly recently, last year. Some great producer-mogul and everyone kisses this guy's backside. I think, "What are they doing? Don't they have any self respect?" I wanted to say, "**** off."

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Stu Macher

After Joaquin Phoenix's, and now Anthony Hopkins thoughts on the Academy, maybe Day-Lewis will win Best Actor by default after Academy members don't want to vote for anyone else (not that I assumed Hopkins would be a serious contender for a win).

Old
11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Didn't ROTK and FOTR win?

I would imagine the Hobbit has a chance, especially with all the dwarfs and creatures and what not
I don't necessarily expect it to win, but Looper has some of the most effective make-up I've seen with one of the more unique and ambitious goals in mind. It deserves recognition.

11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
I don't necessarily expect it to win, but Looper has some of the most effective make-up I've seen with one of the more unique and ambitious goals in mind. It deserves recognition.
It has been a month or so since I saw Looper, and I don't know much anything about makeup, but I don't really remember anything standing out. I'm pretty sure the Hobbit is pretty much the same team, so I would expect it to be at least nominated

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
SB164

Before all is said and done (after the third installment of the Hobbit is released two years from now), I wonder if Andy Serkis will garner a nomination for his work as Smeagol/Gollum? That'd be quite something, wouldn't it?

Last edited by SB164: 11-20-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Before all is said and done (after the third installment of the Hobbit is released two years from now), I wonder if Andy Serkis will garner a nomination for his work as Smeagol/Gollum. That'd be quite something, wouldn't it?
That'd be great. I love his work.

Also,
I saw Lincoln today. Wow, was I ever disappointed. Not a very memorable film, for me. I find a lot of Spielberg's work to be impersonal, though, so I can't say I'm overly surprised. I like maybe less than 10% of his films, oddly. But I had big time expectations for the actors, and while good, I was left wanting more. DDL brought Lincoln to life, but in comparison to films like My Left Foot, Last of The Mohicans, and There Will Be Blood, it was boring. He usually jumps off the screen. I didn't get that "ahhh, yes. I forgot that was you!" kind of acting, feeling. Tommy Lee Jones was very meh for me. I think I need to see more of his films, because he seems really repetitive in his roles to me. And the big spoiler about his character was so cheap and hamfisted. I definitely didn't get a sincere feeling out of it. I am guessing it will get a lot of nominations, but hope it doesn't win any. It wasn't very good, IMO.

I saw The Sessions last night. It was pretty awesome. I was in the mood for having some good feels, though, so that helped. John Hawkes is one of my favourites, so his performance was well received on my end. I bought him being in that condition. It was very lighthearted and didn't take its self too seriously, which is key for me. William H Macy and Helen Hunt were great support to Hawkes performance. Overall I really enjoyed it, and hope Hawkes gets at least a nomination for his performance.

I saw Wreck-It Ralph on Sunday. It was one of the better animated movies in recent history, IMO. I liked the actors who contributed their voices, they all nailed their parts. The plot was fun and made you experience some feelings. Some cool visuals, too, since I saw it in 3D. I would recommend seeing it if you're feeling like having some fun at the movies. I am thinking/hoping it wins some Oscars in the animated categories.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
SB164

Or who knows, Helen Hunt may just be the "dark-horse" winner this year. The Academy loves her.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Or who knows, Helen Hunt may just be the "dark-horse" winner this year. The Academy loves her.
They like a good come back story too and that would certainly qualify.

My one bummer so far is that I'd really like to see Matthew McConaghey make the supporting actor cut for Magic Mike (seriously), I think he's going to get squeezed out by several older actors doing fairly typical Oscar work. No knock on Tommy Lee Jones or Alan Arkin both of whom I enjoyed or DeNiro (which I haven't seen yet), but it's always nice to see something a little less traditional making the cut. Throw in Hoffman and the four favorites are all former winners. Going by GoldDerby, DiCaprio (multi-time nominee) and Crowe, another former winner are next in line.

Last edited by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe: 11-20-2012 at 06:10 PM.
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
It has been a month or so since I saw Looper, and I don't know much anything about makeup, but I don't really remember anything standing out. I'm pretty sure the Hobbit is pretty much the same team, so I would expect it to be at least nominated
Did Joseph Gordon Levitt look anything like he normally does?

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:27 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Did Joseph Gordon Levitt look anything like he normally does?
Lol. He looked kinda like some other actor.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
People praise the make-up in Looper but I found it distracting more than anything else. They made JGL look like some kind of uncanny-valley robot. I don't need make-up to convince me that JGL and Bruce Willis, despite bearing little resemblance to one another, could be the same person. It's Hollywood! I've been suspending my beliefs for all sorts of crazy **** in the past, why would that be a sticking point for me? Especially since I know going in they're the same guy.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
People praise the make-up in Looper but I found it distracting more than anything else. They made JGL look like some kind of uncanny-valley robot. I don't need make-up to convince me that JGL and Bruce Willis, despite bearing little resemblance to one another, could be the same person. It's Hollywood! I've been suspending my beliefs for all sorts of crazy **** in the past, why would that be a sticking point for me? Especially since I know going in they're the same guy.
Although I disagree and liked what they did, I don't think Looper has much chance at a nomination considering part of it was digital effects and it was only ever on one person. Compared to something like The Hobbit or The Hunger Games it won't really stand much of a chance in that category.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:38 PM
snowden
Man is matter

If both Best Actor and Supporting Actor weren't stacked deep with possible nominees, I'd like to see one of Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena get a chance. Really enjoyed that movie because those two had amazing chemistry and nailed their parts.

Interesting how the Actor categories are deep while the Actress categories are so thin with nominees. Tells you how much we need better roles for women.

snowden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:48 PM
kihei

vCash: 671
Great day for contenders in Toronto as both Life of Pi and Silver Lining Playbook opened. Both films should be locks for nominations. Life of Pi is a fine adaptation of an impossible novel to adapt (or at least I thought so before seeing it) and is incredibly beautiful, and both Cooper and Lawrence are brilliant in SLP. I was expecting Lawrence to be stellar, even though she is a bit young for the role, but Cooper was every bit her equal. In fact, I was surprised how good he was. I think they have a big hit on their hands. Life of Pi is the real stunner, though--everybody should see it in 3D if they have the chance.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Great day for contenders in Toronto as both Life of Pi and Silver Lining Playbook opened. Both films should be locks for nominations. Life of Pi is a fine adaptation of an impossible novel to adapt (or at least I thought so before seeing it) and is incredibly beautiful, and both Cooper and Lawrence are brilliant in SLP. I was expecting Lawrence to be stellar, even though she is a bit young for the role, but Cooper was every bit her equal. In fact, I was surprised how good he was. I think they have a big hit on their hands. Life of Pi is the real stunner, though--everybody should see it in 3D if they have the chance.
As I said in the other thread, I saw Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, and Lincoln yesterday. Honestly, if I had an awards ballot, I'd put Bradley Cooper ahead of Daniel Day Lewis at this point (but still behind Joaquin Phoenix). He is so committed (pardon the pun) to that role, which isn't an easy one.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
As I said in the other thread, I saw Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, and Lincoln yesterday. Honestly, if I had an awards ballot, I'd put Bradley Cooper ahead of Daniel Day Lewis at this point (but still behind Joaquin Phoenix). He is so committed (pardon the pun) to that role, which isn't an easy one.
I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook yet, but I'm assuming my choices will line up similarly with yours. I can't figure out exactly why, as DDL did a very good job, but I really wasn't feeling that movie at all. I wrote earlier that its because its a Spielberg pic, but I like DDL, JGL, John Hawkes, Sally Field, David Strathairn, etc. None of them really did the trick for me. I am still disappointed about it. I wanted to like that movie.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:48 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Life of Pi is out this weekend. That should get at least a couple nominations.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anthony Hopkins is no fan of Oscar campaigning:

"I've got the Oscar myself for "Silence of the Lambs" -- and having to be nice to people and to be charming and flirting with them ... oh, come on! People go out of their way to flatter the nominating body and I think it's kind of disgusting. That's always been against my nature.

You know, kissing the backside of the authorities that can make or break it; I can't stand all that. I find it nauseating to watch and I think it's disgusting to behold. People groveling around and kissing the backsides of famous producers and all that. It makes me want to throw up, it really does. It's sick-making. I've seen it so many times. I saw it fairly recently, last year. Some great producer-mogul and everyone kisses this guy's backside. I think, "What are they doing? Don't they have any self respect?" I wanted to say, "**** off."

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:16 PM
SB164

So guys, which films do you see being nominated in the Best Foreign Film category?

I've been reading great things about Cate Shortland's Lore (Australia).

Old
11-22-2012, 03:22 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Hmm...Amour (Germany), No (Chile), A Royal Affair (Denmark), The Intouchables (France) and Children of Sarajevo (Bosnia & Hezegovina) are my guesses.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:49 PM
kihei

vCash: 671
Quote:
So guys, which films do you see being nominated in the Best Foreign Film category?

I've been reading great things about Cate Shortland's Lore (Australia).
This is such a volatile category, that there is no such thing as a lock, but in order of likelihood, I think the five nominees will come from among these seven films:

Amour
The Intouchables
A Royal Affair
No
Lore

Behind the Hills
Kon-Tiki

I'm a bad one to guess, though. My favourite films of the past two years, Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives in 2010 and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia last year didn't even make the reduced field of nine films that the Academy always announces in mid January. Come to think of it, my #2 film this year, A Simple Life, didn't make the short list last year either. I do think that I am going to have better luck with Amour, but you never know.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
They like a good come back story too and that would certainly qualify.

My one bummer so far is that I'd really like to see Matthew McConaghey make the supporting actor cut for Magic Mike (seriously), I think he's going to get squeezed out by several older actors doing fairly typical Oscar work. No knock on Tommy Lee Jones or Alan Arkin both of whom I enjoyed or DeNiro (which I haven't seen yet), but it's always nice to see something a little less traditional making the cut. Throw in Hoffman and the four favorites are all former winners. Going by GoldDerby, DiCaprio (multi-time nominee) and Crowe, another former winner are next in line.
I thought McConaghey's performance in Bernie was worthy of a nomination. He was great in that movie.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Saw it last night. Visually stunning. Really good movie.

The Man in White is online now   Reply With Quote