HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Antoine Vermette

Old
10-21-2012, 09:18 PM
ALI

vCash: 50
Antoine Vermette

I just want to know his value with phoenix? Also if he is available? what would it take for to flames get him?

ALI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:22 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
I just want to know his value with phoenix? Also if he is available? what would it take for to flames get him?
Given Phoenix's current center issues, he is not available. Everyone is pretty excited to have him for a full season too.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Far more than what you would be willing to give I think

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:57 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Given Phoenix's current center issues, he is not available. Everyone is pretty excited to have him for a full season too.
This. Not available. Was great last year during the playoffs. Curious to see what he can do.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Doug19

Curious to see if he was Blue Jacketed, or he just genuinely isn't anything more than a 2b center.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:30 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought the Hawks should have got him 2 years ago. Love Vermette

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Phoenix is a team desperate for centers. Without Vermette we'd have Hanzal, Gordon, Chipchura, and Andy Miele down the middle. In other words, the poorest center depth in the NHL.

So, the question really becomes what would it take to convince a team attempting to contend to go from passable center depth to rock bottom center depth? The answer is so much more than it would be worth for a team like Calgary to acquire a player like Vermette.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Curious to see if he was Blue Jacketed, or he just genuinely isn't anything more than a 2b center.
He's a number two center. That's suits Phoenix just fine.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's a number two center. That's suits Phoenix just fine.
As a Blues fan, if he were ever to become available I would pray to God that Armstrong would at least kick the tires. I think he's criminally underrated because he was stuck in that awful mess of Columbus.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

Pascal Leclaire + 2nd round pick

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
As a Blues fan, if he were ever to become available I would pray to God that Armstrong would at least kick the tires. I think he's criminally underrated because he was stuck in that awful mess of Columbus.
Columbus wasn't the best team all the years he was there, but it wasn't like he wasn't getting playing time in the top-six like he very rarely got in Ottawa. He had a way bigger role as a Blue Jacket than as a Senator where he began his career and did very well with that increased role. With better teammates, yeah I think he'd be even better, but it wasn't like he was stuck behind a ton of good players (like on those Senators teams) that he wasn't getting time to play.

This is coming from someone who likes him a lot. I think he's ideally a nice second-line center in this league and a great #3 on the best teams.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Vermette is an awesome player to have in the top 9 but all that really counts for him is chemistry. If he finds chemistry with your PPG player, he can be near PPG. If he finds chemistry with no one, he'll be a great 35 point 3rd liner who can PK as well. He scored PPG with Stillman and then later with Nash, and then once he lost that chemistry he reverted back to a .5 PPG guy. I would never bring him in expecting him to help carry a significant load, but he could surprise and be a far more valuable player than you were banking on.

That's how I see him, anyways, and that's why he's not gonna get traded for at least two or three years.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Vermette is an awesome player to have in the top 9 but all that really counts for him is chemistry. If he finds chemistry with your PPG player, he can be near PPG. If he finds chemistry with no one, he'll be a great 35 point 3rd liner who can PK as well. He scored PPG with Stillman and then later with Nash, and then once he lost that chemistry he reverted back to a .5 PPG guy. I would never bring him in expecting him to help carry a significant load, but he could surprise and be a far more valuable player than you were banking on.

That's how I see him, anyways, and that's why he's not gonna get traded for at least two or three years.
He formed an effective line with Doan and Boedker in the playoffs.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Columbus wasn't the best team all the years he was there, but it wasn't like he wasn't getting playing time in the top-six like he very rarely got in Ottawa. He had a way bigger role as a Blue Jacket than as a Senator where he began his career and did very well with that increased role. With better teammates, yeah I think he'd be even better, but it wasn't like he was stuck behind a ton of good players (like on those Senators teams) that he wasn't getting time to play.

This is coming from someone who likes him a lot. I think he's ideally a nice second-line center in this league and a great #3 on the best teams.
I didn't mean it to come off like I thought he was the next coming of Gretzky. Just that he is a very good player that a lot of people over looked because of where he was. I'd love to have him on the Blues.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Flyerfan52

Vermette is a 2/3 center. Calgary has those & needs a 1C. He also carries a contract of 3.75 in both cap & true $s for 3 more years.
Stajan is a 2/3 center that carries a 3.5 cap hit but 2.5 true $s for 2 more years.

Even between 2 teams in normal situations that sounds reasonable given the true $ saving & shorter contract when 1 is a budget team if 1 of the 2 filled a need better.
Given the unique circumstances in the desert as the search for an owner continues it's not unlikely the current owners would prefer the $5 million out of pocket over 2 years rather then 11.25 over 3. Especially when the cap value is only .5 for the 2 years. The BoG would likely be on board as it doesn't really devalue the team as the bids come & go.

The bigger ? is why would Calgary want the longer contract/bigger hit without improving their team.

Flyerfan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I didn't mean it to come off like I thought he was the next coming of Gretzky. Just that he is a very good player that a lot of people over looked because of where he was. I'd love to have him on the Blues.
Disagree, Vermette was put out there with Nash consistently and couldn't keep up after his first year. Columbus was a mess, yes, but Vermette was a big reason why the team was a mess with his consistent bad play. He's probably a good 2nd line guy to have, but in recent times that wasn't the case in Columbus.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Vermette isn't a very good #2.

He's an exceptional 3rd liner and amazing PKer.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I'd say he's ok as a 2nd liner, great as a 3rd liner.

He's a 50 point guy in a good year with talent around him (Nash and Huselius, for instance). Problem was he wasn't producing well last year for the Jackets and they were looking to shed salary.

A good 2nd liner IMO should be able to reliably put up 50 points without much talent supporting him and should make the guys on his line better. Instead, he'd disappear when taken off the line with Nash.

He's like Dubinsky. Maybe he can rebound or improve upon his high marks next year or maybe he can't. If he can't, he's an overpaid 3rd liner. If he can, he's a good 2nd line player.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post

He's an exceptional 3rd liner and amazing PKer.
He was just fine carrying the load as a second line center in Phoenix and he didn't manage to get much PK time considering the Coyotes had Gordon and Hanzal filling that role.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Clowe Me

What's Viktor Tihkanov up to these days?

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
What's Viktor Tihkanov up to these days?
Chilling out in Russia. Passed through nhl waivers twice without a claim. I dont get it. He's pretty cheap and is a good fourth line RW, in my opinion. A good PKer as a rookie and a decent shot. I really could see him being an effective fourth liner who can pot ten goals and kill some penalties, while being an excellent ambassador for potentially Russian acquisitions.

Phoenix gambled on Brule as a fourth line RW and I thought he was pretty decent. They let him go and have now picked up Nick Johnson. I expect him to he a decent 4th RW too. Still, I don't understand why we wont give Tikhonov a shot. We already burned a 1st rounder on him, we might as well get something out of him.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:21 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
Vermette is a 2/3 center. Calgary has those & needs a 1C. He also carries a contract of 3.75 in both cap & true $s for 3 more years.
Stajan is a 2/3 center that carries a 3.5 cap hit but 2.5 true $s for 2 more years.

Even between 2 teams in normal situations that sounds reasonable given the true $ saving & shorter contract when 1 is a budget team if 1 of the 2 filled a need better.
Given the unique circumstances in the desert as the search for an owner continues it's not unlikely the current owners would prefer the $5 million out of pocket over 2 years rather then 11.25 over 3. Especially when the cap value is only .5 for the 2 years. The BoG would likely be on board as it doesn't really devalue the team as the bids come & go.

The bigger ? is why would Calgary want the longer contract/bigger hit without improving their team.
I hope I'm reading this wrong. Surely nobody thinks that Stajan is as good as Vermette...right?

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Chilling out in Russia. Passed through nhl waivers twice without a claim. I dont get it. He's pretty cheap and is a good fourth line RW, in my opinion. A good PKer as a rookie and a decent shot. I really could see him being an effective fourth liner who can pot ten goals and kill some penalties, while being an excellent ambassador for potentially Russian acquisitions.

Phoenix gambled on Brule as a fourth line RW and I thought he was pretty decent. They let him go and have now picked up Nick Johnson. I expect him to he a decent 4th RW too. Still, I don't understand why we wont give Tikhonov a shot. We already burned a 1st rounder on him, we might as well get something out of him.
Completely agree. I think Tikhonov would actually thrive in Tippett's system and he did ok as a 20 year old in Gretzky's "system". Not sure if utilizing his KHL-out clause has irked Maloney or something. Might as well give him those 8 games while Raffi's suspended and see if he fits. If not, at least you've given your own prospects an honest shot before going after other teams' reclamations projects. I think we need to instill the idea that if you work your way up in our system, you'll get an honest shot and it's yours to earn. The last few years have been marred with guys under 25 asking out of our club. That needs to change or we'll keep seeing more of the same.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Pascal Leclaire + 2nd round pick
This... I'd do it in a heartbeat...

I miss Vermette.. But if he stayed with us, he'd be down on the depth chart and probably wouldn't be half as good as he is now...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
If we could drop Malhotra, easily a first from Van. I doubt that is enough and I would like to see if Manny can rebound prior to shipping off picks but Vermette would be ideal on our third line.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote