HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Microsoft Surface Tablet

Old
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Microsoft Surface Tablet

Apologies if this has been posted before, but any thoughts on the new Microsoft Surface tablet coming out at the end of the month? I'm not one to dive into most brand new technology, but it's very intriguing as I'm in market for a tablet and am trying to resist the urge to go with the iPad 3.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:55 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

The concept is very nice, especially the keyboard integrated in the cover. Look, hardware wise and OS wise, I'm sure it's gonna be great. The thing is there is two versions: the RT and the Pro. The first one runs Windows RT and the second one runs Windows 8. The Pro has better specs, etc but the biggest advantage is has on the RT is it will be able to run legacy software made for your PC. The RT will only run apps from the Windows Store. While I'm sure the app number will grow super fast because it's Windows, the iPad sure has a bit of an advantage at first.

It also depends if you like Metro UI vs iOS. I personally like it but it's quite different if you never used it.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm very interested in these. Last I checked there wasn't price info out yet.

10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Osprey

Here's the launch event thread from June, if you want to read the impressions that people here have already posted:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1210673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'm very interested in these. Last I checked there wasn't price info out yet.
There is now (which makes sense, since TV commercials are now running):
http://surface.microsoftstore.com/st...c_id=FY13WinHH
(to summarize... 32GB without Touch Cover: $499, 32GB with Touch Cover: $599, 64GB without Touch Cover: $699)

I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping for $499 with the Touch Cover (cover + keyboard). That pricing is important, IMO, since, to the average person, the Touch Cover is the main "wow" feature that sets Surface apart from the iPad, but if it's not included at the same price as the iPad, people may just go with the iPad. Oh well; maybe it'll take only a month, until Black Friday and other holiday sales, for us to see the combo going for $499.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Thanks! It's just a little more than I want to dump into a tablet. I'll probably end up diverting that money to a new gaming desktop, or at least a new motherboard.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
The price kind of soured me a bit, too. I love the concept of it and all, but for $500 I want the keyboard cover.

10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I want to see if a Surface tablet plus keyboard can be a real laptop replacement. I plan on being at the Microsoft Store on launch day to try it out.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Thanks! It's just a little more than I want to dump into a tablet. I'll probably end up diverting that money to a new gaming desktop, or at least a new motherboard.
Agreed, I thought they would have went with a lower price point.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Thanks! It's just a little more than I want to dump into a tablet.
Yeah, it's the same with me. You have to be in the market for a high-end tablet or a low-end laptop to consider the Surface at the moment. I definitely want one eventually, but can't afford that now. I hope to buy one sometime in 2013, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
I want to see if a Surface tablet plus keyboard can be a real laptop replacement. I plan on being at the Microsoft Store on launch day to try it out.
The Windows 8 Pro tablets should be real laptop replacements, but they won't be out until January, at the earliest, and will be about $1000. The RT models, which'll be out in 9 days, might serve as laptop replacements for a lot of people who have simple needs, like web browsing, e-mail, Office and such and who don't need to install existing Windows apps or games (like Photoshop, Civilization V and the like).

When you go, make sure that you try out the Type Cover. That's different than the Touch Cover. People who want a laptop replacement and intend to do a fair amount of typing may prefer the Type Cover, since it has keys that move a little up and down (in exchange for a bit more thickness, naturally). The Touch Cover, in contrast, is completely flat and non-mechanical.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-17-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:27 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 744
As far as build quality, design and not just being a blown-up phone, the Surface looks like it might be the best tablet on the market when it lands. However, they won't get any recognition if they don't undercut Apple on price. For a company that's shifting their business to being device and service centric to not only start out with no market share but to not price it aggressively at all is ridiculous. Google is supplementing the Nexus 7 to gain market share with the expectation that they'll recoup that money in services later (ads/search, apps/media, etc.) and Microsoft should have followed suit - not that the Surface could compete in pricing with the Nexus 7, but they needed to not try to make money on the first hardware generation.

Regarding using one to replace a laptop: the vast majority of people don't need the processing power of a laptop for anything they do - i.e. browsing, emails, videos - and would likely even get more use/enjoyment out of a device with a well integrated app store, especially with the increasing popularity of casual games, ex Angry Birds. I believe this is already showing up in PC sales, as they've recently dropped for the first time in recorded history (an exaggeration).

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
As far as build quality, design and not just being a blown-up phone, the Surface looks like it might be the best tablet on the market when it lands. However, they won't get any recognition if they don't undercut Apple on price. For a company that's shifting their business to being device and service centric to not only start out with no market share but to not price it aggressively at all is ridiculous. Google is supplementing the Nexus 7 to gain market share with the expectation that they'll recoup that money in services later (ads/search, apps/media, etc.) and Microsoft should have followed suit - not that the Surface could compete in pricing with the Nexus 7, but they needed to not try to make money on the first hardware generation.

Regarding using one to replace a laptop: the vast majority of people don't need the processing power of a laptop for anything they do - i.e. browsing, emails, videos - and would likely even get more use/enjoyment out of a device with a well integrated app store, especially with the increasing popularity of casual games, ex Angry Birds. I believe this is already showing up in PC sales, as they've recently dropped for the first time in recorded history (an exaggeration).
We'll have to wait and see if they drop the price after the initial release. MS isn't Apple and I suspect business' will be able to get discounts in quantities.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

So, nobody ran out and picked up a Surface Pro? I'm looking for feedback people. Get on the ball

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote