HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 01:03 PM
TJ21
MFW canucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Any tips for keeping battery life going on the S3? I find it dies pretty fast, at least compared to my old Blackberry. I was told that the battery life sucks for the first week or so and then somehow it gets better? Is that true?
Pretty much everything Sined mentioned, but i also had that same issue. Try turning off things like GPS, Sync, Bluetooth, and Wifi from the notification bar when you're not using them. Made a boatload of a difference, and don't have any problem any more.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:17 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ21 View Post
Pretty much everything Sined mentioned, but i also had that same issue. Try turning off things like GPS, Sync, Bluetooth, and Wifi from the notification bar when you're not using them. Made a boatload of a difference, and don't have any problem any more.
Between cellular data - 4G in my case - and WIFI, which one is the most battery consuming?

(I own an HTC One S)

Old
11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Between cellular data - 4G in my case - and WIFI, which one is the most battery consuming?

(I own an HTC One S)
Depends on signal strength. A cellular radio struggling to keep connection with a tower will consume much more power than Wifi.

Same can be said about a Wifi connection, it can consume a ton of power trying to hold a weak connection compared to a a solid 3G/4G connection.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Any tips for keeping battery life going on the S3? I find it dies pretty fast, at least compared to my old Blackberry. I was told that the battery life sucks for the first week or so and then somehow it gets better? Is that true?
You should look into an app like Better Battery Stats. It will give you an analysis of what processes are running that create partial wakelocks, keeping your phone from deep sleep.

As others have said, watch your screen brightness. There's an app called Lux Auto Brightness that's helpful in maintaining reasonable, efficient brightness levels.

You can also root your phone, remove the bloatware, undervolt your battery and set a custom governor to regulate your CPU cores. A combination of all these things has my phone getting battery life far greater than what I had on the stock setup.

It's just pain.
Old
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Depends on signal strength. A cellular radio struggling to keep connection with a tower will consume much more power than Wifi.

Same can be said about a Wifi connection, it can consume a ton of power trying to hold a weak connection compared to a a solid 3G/4G connection.
I see

Thanks

Old
11-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
I see

Thanks
I forgot to say though, if you have good signal strength with both, wifi should be more power efficient.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

https://www.humblebundle.com/

New Android bundle.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I just use Wifi File Explorer. You connect to your home's wifi, enable the app on your phone, then enter the displayed URL on your computer. You can move anything around however you want.
That's a 3rd option that I should've remembered and mentioned. I'm not a big fan of it, though, because it means going through a web browser instead of through Windows Explorer. It's a good option if you don't have a Windows computer, however.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:37 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
I forgot to say though, if you have good signal strength with both, wifi should be more power efficient.
AH ok

Old
11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
https://www.humblebundle.com/

New Android bundle.
Machinarium is awesome!

Old
11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
If you'd like to be able to copy files to your phone wirelessly and directly (i.e. without using a 3rd-party hosting service like Dropbox), here are two options for you.

A. Share a folder on your Windows PC, install a file manager that supports SMB, then have the file manager connect to that share. I highly recommend Solid Explorer (link here), a new file manager that has SMB support built-in. The cool thing about Solid Explorer is that it has two panels, so that you can copy and move files between two locations without having to copy/cut, change folder and paste. A few other file managers have SMB support built-in, as well, while some (like Astro and Ghost Commander) have SMB plugins that you have to install from the Play Store to add that functionality.

B. This option requires a rooted phone. Install SambaDroid (link here), which will create an SMB server on your Android device (as opposed to your PC being the SMB server, as in option A). Next, go on your Windows PC and either 1) find SAMBADROID under Network, 2) put \\SAMBADROID\sdcard into Windows Explorer's address bar, or, for a more permanent option, 3) go to "Computer" in Windows Explorer, click on "Map Network Drive" and put in \\SAMBADROID\sdcard as the folder.

BTW, you may recall that I posted a year ago about a similar app, named Samba Filesharing. In case any of you have been using it, it has problems with Jelly Bean and the author has seemingly abandoned the app, which is why Samba Droid was developed. So, if you've been using Samba Filesharing, especially with Jelly Bean, you'll probably want to switch to SambaDroid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I just use Wifi File Explorer. You connect to your home's wifi, enable the app on your phone, then enter the displayed URL on your computer. You can move anything around however you want.
Airdroid is another good app that does all of this (and doesn't require root). I've been using it for awhile.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Machinarium is awesome!
It comes with both a normal and tablet version of the game as well. For some reason though, Splice will not install for me.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Osprey

For those who may have missed it, Angry Birds Star Wars was released the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but it's getting good reviews.

Google Play - Angry Birds Star Wars
Google Play - Angry Birds Star Wars HD

Also, apparently, the Galaxy S III was the #1-selling phone in Q3, outselling the iPhone (apparently, the first quarter in years that the iPhone hasn't been #1)... though it was also pointed out that it was likely due to Apple fans holding off on purchases until the iPhone 5 came out, and sales of the iPhone 5 are expected to be #1 in Q4.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/08/best-selli...3/#more-190188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
Airdroid is another good app that does all of this (and doesn't require root). I've been using it for awhile.
Just to be clear, Airdroid does what WiFi File Manger does, which is create a web server on your device for access through a web browser, but it doesn't do what the two options that I presented do (which is utilize Windows' own SMB protocol, rather than HTTP). Each is a way of achieving the goal of wireless transfer, but via different means and with different pros and cons.

Last edited by Osprey: 11-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Going to be going SGIII shortly...looking forward to it!...

Are there any modders of the SGIII on the board? I'm debating the merits...

Old
11-09-2012, 06:52 PM
madvie
female habs fan

So, I got the SIII a week ago and...holy **** it's awesome. I'm sure I haven't even unlocked its true potential.

I got the pebble blue version (I really like how it looks), but I figured I should get a case to protect it. Do you guys have any suggestions...that will ship to Canada? I was looking at some Elago cases, but shipping doubled the price. And checking out Chinatown here--everything was bedazzled.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Going to be going SGIII shortly...looking forward to it!...

Are there any modders of the SGIII on the board? I'm debating the merits...
Mhmm. SGS3 geek right here.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by madvie View Post
So, I got the SIII a week ago and...holy **** it's awesome. I'm sure I haven't even unlocked its true potential.

I got the pebble blue version (I really like how it looks), but I figured I should get a case to protect it. Do you guys have any suggestions...that will ship to Canada? I was looking at some Elago cases, but shipping doubled the price. And checking out Chinatown here--everything was bedazzled.
Part of me wishes I had kept my S3. Slap a hard gel/plastic case on it and it's perfect.

I'd grab a clear hard gel case (keep that sweet blue color visible) off of eBay for cheap, then study up and find the perfect case for it. The Android Central store has some good ones for $5 each, on special. My ideal case would be the Otterbox commuter (?), the really slim dual-layer one. I have it for my iPhone 3GS and it's nigh-bulletproof.

I'm hoping they get around to making them for the Note 2 eventually.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:19 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Absolutely loving Star Wars Angry Birds.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Noori

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by madvie View Post

After dropping my screen and having it crack (which was a $250 replacement), I went and ordered an Otterbox Commuter from Amazon for ~$30. That + Ghost Armor makes me feel pretty safe that my phone is indestructible.

Get a case on it ASAP. It's a very fragile device. An Otterbox may be a bit much but for me the peace-of-mind is nice.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
Absolutely loving Star Wars Angry Birds.
Best Angry Birds, easily.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I also got an Otterbox commuter. The phone feels like it's bulletproof and sturdy now.

The only gripe is that the case tends to make the power button hard to push. However, after about a week it seems to be getting much better.

waffledave
Old
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
Best Angry Birds, easily.
I have to admit the gameplay is pretty different instead of being a simple graphical rehash.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:27 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

So pumped to buy a Nexus 4. Looks sexy!
I'll use my old Galaxy Nexus as a Bluetooth media hub for my car.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:33 AM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Been up all night waiting.

Phones been selling out in under an hour in every region it opens.
NA is going to be a real **** show.
Really hope I can get a 16GB

Old
11-13-2012, 05:58 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Didn't realize how inexpensive the Nexus 4 is just at retail price of $299... That's very impressive. Hopefully that starts a bit of a downward swing in some of the more expensive type phones. Would love devices like the Note 2 at $500 retail instead of $750.

Closed Thread