HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
What a fail by Google, its didn't even let me ****ing buy the damn thing. Refreshed the page 100 times from 11am central and all it said was coming soon. ****ers.
How dare they!

Old
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
How dare they!
Well the thing I'm pissed off about was that its was never on sale for me. I never once got the "add to cart" button, always coming soon, and I spent the entire morning refreshing the page.... I would have gladly pre-ordered it, at least google could have gauged the demand somewhat then.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
What a fail by Google, its didn't even let me ****ing buy the damn thing. Refreshed the page 100 times from 11am central and all it said was coming soon. ****ers.
Yup, apparently the new definition of a successful launch is that at least half of the people wanting the product are turned away. That way they can spread word of mouth while they wait for stock to come in.

Anyways, I feel your pain, bro.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
How long do you think it would take for it to arrive? I didn't see anywhere where it gave an approximate timeline. I don't order things off of the internet very often.

11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Never got the chance to order the N4 here in BC (or i couldn't! i was refreshing all day at work and even asked for a notification).

Old
11-13-2012, 09:57 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

They should ship Monday or before according to my receipt

Old
11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III to get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update around November 22?

Rogers Motorola RAZR HD to get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Mid-December?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
They should ship Monday or before according to my receipt
Shipped or delivered?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Shipped or delivered?
Shipped

Old
11-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
Shipped
Was able to find the receipt, and it said to be delivered within 3-5 business days.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Jelly Bean 4.2 pushed to my Nexus 7 last night.

A few quick first impressions.

- The new lock screen widgets are meh. The new default clock widget is kind of ugly. The other available widgets (Gmail, Calendar, Sound Search) aren't particularly interesting to me. Maybe some future Google or third party apps will make this useful. I wish you could just delete the clock widget and just go back to the old clock/date display. If you delete all the widgets, you just get this big ugly add widget plus sign icon on top of the lock screen.

edit: no, if you delete all widgets, the clock widget comes back by default.

- The swiping ability of the new stock android keyboard is very nice. I've only played around with Swype (and other Swype-like keyboards) a little bit - but this seemed easier to use and more accurate.

- The ability to add multiple user accounts could be useful to some people - especially people who share their tablet with kids. It adds a bunch of small colored circle icons (one per account) at the bottom of the lock screen - tap on one and it transitions to the lock screen for that account - but the bright colors of the icons do detract from the lock screen look. It doesn't seem possible to switch users without hitting the power button off/on or closing the smart cover to get back to your lock screen.

- The update for the Nexus 7 did not seem to include Photo Sphere - which isn't to surprising, since the N7 shipped without the Camera App (well, no icon, but the Camera Launcher for Nexus 7 app works around that).

Last edited by kdb209: 11-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

guys im looking to switch to android from my iphone as I know the possibilities are just more in there. I am curious on one thing is it possible to link up my itunes with an android? I am a huge music fan and literally everything is there I have an iphone 4 and I'll prolly make the switch next year around april when I get a good deal from rogers for the latest phones.

11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Jelly Bean 4.2 pushed to my Nexus 7 last night.

A few quick first impressions.

- The new lock screen widgets are meh. The new default clock widget is kind of ugly. The other available widgets (Gmail, Calendar, Sound Search) aren't particularly interesting to me. Maybe some future Google or third party apps will make this useful. I wish you could just delete the clock widget and just go back to the old clock/date display. If you delete all the widgets, you just get this big ugly add widget plus sign icon on top of the lock screen.

edit: no, if you delete all widgets, the clock widget comes back by default.

- The swiping ability of the new stock android keyboard is very nice. I've only played around with Swype (and other Swype-like keyboards) a little bit - but this seemed easier to use and more accurate.

- The ability to add multiple user accounts could be useful to some people - especially people who share their tablet with kids. It adds a bunch of small colored circle icons (one per account) at the bottom of the lock screen - tap on one and it transitions to the lock screen for that account - but the bright colors of the icons do detract from the lock screen look. It doesn't seem possible to switch users without hitting the power button off/on or closing the smart cover to get back to your lock screen.

- The update for the Nexus 7 did not seem to include Photo Sphere - which isn't to surprising, since the N7 shipped without the Camera App (well, no icon, but the Camera Launcher for Nexus 7 app works around that).
I didn't play with it too much but I found the user accounts a little annoying. All the photos, apps and videos on my main account weren't on the secondary account. The apps should be shared imo.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
guys im looking to switch to android from my iphone as I know the possibilities are just more in there. I am curious on one thing is it possible to link up my itunes with an android? I am a huge music fan and literally everything is there I have an iphone 4 and I'll prolly make the switch next year around april when I get a good deal from rogers for the latest phones.
You can probably just copy all of your MP3s or MP4s (whatever itunes uses) from your itunes folder to your phone. An Android phone should be able to play the files. I don't use itunes so I can't comment much more than that.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
CyanogenMod member goes rogue, demands $10K for domain
Nov. 14, 2012 (3:13 pm) By: Russell Holly

CyanogenMod

Open source projects are strange creatures. When it’s just one person, it’s not a major issue if the project lives or dies but when you have a large open source project, teamwork is everything. They live and die by the cooperation of the entire group. The CyanogenMod project is comprised entirely of members who contribute in their spare time. It is their passion, but often times it can be incredibly demanding in order to keep up with the breakneck speed of the Android release cycle. For reasons still not entirely clear, one member of the CyanogenMod team has taken the project’s domain hostage, as well as being responsible for several under-the-table payment deals that wound up going straight into someone’s pocket instead of supporting the project.

As it stands right now, the CyanogenMod team has effectively halted progress on their project to deal with this internal matter. The CM team warns that any @cyanogenmod.com email address is no longer valid since the rogue member controls the Google Apps account, and all of the content from the CM website has been ported to Cyanogenmod.org until the team can get the domain back. ICANN has been contacted regarding this matter, but since the rogue member has had no problems posing as Steve Kondik in the past, the process is rather complicated.

Until the team is able to regain complete control of the project, the CyanogenMod team is advising to simply ignore anything that comes from their lost .com.

The CyanogenMod ROM has been referred to on several occasions as a fork of Android, much in the same way SenseUI and TouchWiz are. It’s easy to look at the project and see a group of people trying to have some fun with an open source project, but now it is important that the team be seen as members of a legal entity that must now engage in what will more than likely be legal action to regain control of their domain name.
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...main-20121114/

Old
11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I didn't play with it too much but I found the user accounts a little annoying. All the photos, apps and videos on my main account weren't on the secondary account. The apps should be shared imo.
Automatically shared apps would defeat some of the point of a multi-user environment. You wouldn't want your kids' apps/games to be polluting your app drawer and you might not want some of yours accessible to them. There should be an easier way to add apps that are already on the device, though; I agree there. You should be able to select an app that's on the device and add it to another user without you having to go through the Play Store all over again. At the very least, it should be automated, so that they're "installed" from the Play Store without you having to search for them and click Install and Accept for each one. Perhaps we'll see something like that in an upcoming release, like 4.2.1 or not until 5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
There's a lot more information in the blog post at the temporary website:
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/psa-...yanogenmod-org

Here's just some of it:
Quote:
But, a little over a week ago, things took a bad turn. The person owning the CyanogenMod.com domain was caught impersonating Steve to make referral deals with community sites. When confronted and asked to hand over control of the domain amicably, he decided he wanted 10K USD for it, which we won’t (and can’t) pay.

We contacted those he had established deals with, only to discover that the person tasked with maintaining our web presence was setting up deals under the CM name, and impersonating Cyanogen himself. Plenty of satisfying evidence was provided by those sites / entities to make us certain that this wasn’t a misunderstanding or one-time thing.
Quote:
We have changed ownership of the social media accounts. When asked again to make the transition nicely, he responded with the following

“Hi, so you think by removing all my access across the infrastructure was going to be a great idea? We had a chat yesterday, you’ve decided to end this bitter. How about I just change the DNS entries right now. CM will practically go down.”

Refusing to be extorted for funds, and then being threatened is “ending it bitter”? Today, it happened: all of our records were deleted, and cyanogenmod.com is slowly expiring out of the Internet and being replaced by blank pages and non-existing sites. @cyanogenmod.com e-mail is now being directed to a mailserver completely out of our control, too.
EDIT: They got their .com domain back, though they decided to simply have it redirect to their new .org address from now on.
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/doma...-been-resolved

Last edited by Osprey: 11-15-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Google just send me an email stating that my order for the GN4 is on backorder and will be shipped within 3 weeks

Old
11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Google just send me an email stating that my order for the GN4 is on backorder and will be shipped within 3 weeks
Lots of folks were getting these. The Android Central forums were full of them. I was unable to get an order in. I imagine it'll be at least a month before they will be available in the Google Play store again.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:10 PM
awesomo
HARD!

horrible launch by google. i just want taht damn phone

Old
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Really loving what I'm seeing for the Droid DNA. But I will say the Verge review is completely full of ****. Android Police did a great analysis of the battery and honestly, I'd be ok with that. The only two nitpicks is that it's only 16GB (11/12GB usable) and the little plastic door that covers the USB port, but I know why that's there.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Really loving what I'm seeing for the Droid DNA. But I will say the Verge review is completely full of ****. Android Police did a great analysis of the battery and honestly, I'd be ok with that. The only two nitpicks is that it's only 16GB (11/12GB usable) and the little plastic door that covers the USB port, but I know why that's there.
I like Dan Seifert so I can't bash the guy. But I will say I do not like the Verge's battery test.

Last edited by Sined: 11-16-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

You know he happened to miss a lot of info he should of put in the review like how it's waterproof and comparisons to other phones in battery life. But seriously, it's a pretty bad review. How could they test it so poorly? I'd have to go find it, but another site got at least 6 hours out of it (I think it was Laptop Mag) with straight LTE usage.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Dr GLU

It turns out there's a Qualcomm seven-band LTE chip inside the Nexus 4. I wonder what they're going to do with that?

Old
11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Dave

If that's true why would they advertise their phone as not being LTE capable if it is?

Old
11-16-2012, 09:33 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i like 4.2. Enjoy the multiple lock screens that i didnt have before.

using a rooted 4.2 but really just stock 4.2

Closed Thread