HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
  #301
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greater Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
What a fail by Google, its didn't even let me ****ing buy the damn thing. Refreshed the page 100 times from 11am central and all it said was coming soon. ****ers.
How dare they!

vBurmi is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM
  #302
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons
 
Ghost in the Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 9,022
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
How dare they!
Well the thing I'm pissed off about was that its was never on sale for me. I never once got the "add to cart" button, always coming soon, and I spent the entire morning refreshing the page.... I would have gladly pre-ordered it, at least google could have gauged the demand somewhat then.

Ghost in the Shell is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
  #303
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
What a fail by Google, its didn't even let me ****ing buy the damn thing. Refreshed the page 100 times from 11am central and all it said was coming soon. ****ers.
Yup, apparently the new definition of a successful launch is that at least half of the people wanting the product are turned away. That way they can spread word of mouth while they wait for stock to come in.

Anyways, I feel your pain, bro.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
  #304
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend
 
Finnish your Czech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,405
vCash: 50
How long do you think it would take for it to arrive? I didn't see anywhere where it gave an approximate timeline. I don't order things off of the internet very often.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94272&dateline=135589  1618
Finnish your Czech is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
  #305
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 136
Never got the chance to order the N4 here in BC (or i couldn't! i was refreshing all day at work and even asked for a notification).


chewey is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:57 PM
  #306
D Fresh
Lost Horizons
 
D Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 50
They should ship Monday or before according to my receipt

D Fresh is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
  #307
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III to get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update around November 22?

Rogers Motorola RAZR HD to get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Mid-December?

Sined is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
  #308
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend
 
Finnish your Czech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,405
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
They should ship Monday or before according to my receipt
Shipped or delivered?

Finnish your Czech is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
  #309
D Fresh
Lost Horizons
 
D Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Shipped or delivered?
Shipped

D Fresh is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:58 PM
  #310
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend
 
Finnish your Czech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,405
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
Shipped
Was able to find the receipt, and it said to be delivered within 3-5 business days.

Finnish your Czech is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  #311
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Jelly Bean 4.2 pushed to my Nexus 7 last night.

A few quick first impressions.

- The new lock screen widgets are meh. The new default clock widget is kind of ugly. The other available widgets (Gmail, Calendar, Sound Search) aren't particularly interesting to me. Maybe some future Google or third party apps will make this useful. I wish you could just delete the clock widget and just go back to the old clock/date display. If you delete all the widgets, you just get this big ugly add widget plus sign icon on top of the lock screen.

edit: no, if you delete all widgets, the clock widget comes back by default.

- The swiping ability of the new stock android keyboard is very nice. I've only played around with Swype (and other Swype-like keyboards) a little bit - but this seemed easier to use and more accurate.

- The ability to add multiple user accounts could be useful to some people - especially people who share their tablet with kids. It adds a bunch of small colored circle icons (one per account) at the bottom of the lock screen - tap on one and it transitions to the lock screen for that account - but the bright colors of the icons do detract from the lock screen look. It doesn't seem possible to switch users without hitting the power button off/on or closing the smart cover to get back to your lock screen.

- The update for the Nexus 7 did not seem to include Photo Sphere - which isn't to surprising, since the N7 shipped without the Camera App (well, no icon, but the Camera Launcher for Nexus 7 app works around that).


Last edited by kdb209: 11-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
kdb209 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
  #312
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,554
vCash: 500
guys im looking to switch to android from my iphone as I know the possibilities are just more in there. I am curious on one thing is it possible to link up my itunes with an android? I am a huge music fan and literally everything is there I have an iphone 4 and I'll prolly make the switch next year around april when I get a good deal from rogers for the latest phones.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
  #313
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Jelly Bean 4.2 pushed to my Nexus 7 last night.

A few quick first impressions.

- The new lock screen widgets are meh. The new default clock widget is kind of ugly. The other available widgets (Gmail, Calendar, Sound Search) aren't particularly interesting to me. Maybe some future Google or third party apps will make this useful. I wish you could just delete the clock widget and just go back to the old clock/date display. If you delete all the widgets, you just get this big ugly add widget plus sign icon on top of the lock screen.

edit: no, if you delete all widgets, the clock widget comes back by default.

- The swiping ability of the new stock android keyboard is very nice. I've only played around with Swype (and other Swype-like keyboards) a little bit - but this seemed easier to use and more accurate.

- The ability to add multiple user accounts could be useful to some people - especially people who share their tablet with kids. It adds a bunch of small colored circle icons (one per account) at the bottom of the lock screen - tap on one and it transitions to the lock screen for that account - but the bright colors of the icons do detract from the lock screen look. It doesn't seem possible to switch users without hitting the power button off/on or closing the smart cover to get back to your lock screen.

- The update for the Nexus 7 did not seem to include Photo Sphere - which isn't to surprising, since the N7 shipped without the Camera App (well, no icon, but the Camera Launcher for Nexus 7 app works around that).
I didn't play with it too much but I found the user accounts a little annoying. All the photos, apps and videos on my main account weren't on the secondary account. The apps should be shared imo.

Timmer44 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  #314
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
guys im looking to switch to android from my iphone as I know the possibilities are just more in there. I am curious on one thing is it possible to link up my itunes with an android? I am a huge music fan and literally everything is there I have an iphone 4 and I'll prolly make the switch next year around april when I get a good deal from rogers for the latest phones.
You can probably just copy all of your MP3s or MP4s (whatever itunes uses) from your itunes folder to your phone. An Android phone should be able to play the files. I don't use itunes so I can't comment much more than that.

WhipNash27 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
  #315
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
CyanogenMod member goes rogue, demands $10K for domain
Nov. 14, 2012 (3:13 pm) By: Russell Holly

CyanogenMod

Open source projects are strange creatures. When it’s just one person, it’s not a major issue if the project lives or dies but when you have a large open source project, teamwork is everything. They live and die by the cooperation of the entire group. The CyanogenMod project is comprised entirely of members who contribute in their spare time. It is their passion, but often times it can be incredibly demanding in order to keep up with the breakneck speed of the Android release cycle. For reasons still not entirely clear, one member of the CyanogenMod team has taken the project’s domain hostage, as well as being responsible for several under-the-table payment deals that wound up going straight into someone’s pocket instead of supporting the project.

As it stands right now, the CyanogenMod team has effectively halted progress on their project to deal with this internal matter. The CM team warns that any @cyanogenmod.com email address is no longer valid since the rogue member controls the Google Apps account, and all of the content from the CM website has been ported to Cyanogenmod.org until the team can get the domain back. ICANN has been contacted regarding this matter, but since the rogue member has had no problems posing as Steve Kondik in the past, the process is rather complicated.

Until the team is able to regain complete control of the project, the CyanogenMod team is advising to simply ignore anything that comes from their lost .com.

The CyanogenMod ROM has been referred to on several occasions as a fork of Android, much in the same way SenseUI and TouchWiz are. It’s easy to look at the project and see a group of people trying to have some fun with an open source project, but now it is important that the team be seen as members of a legal entity that must now engage in what will more than likely be legal action to regain control of their domain name.
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...main-20121114/

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
  #316
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I didn't play with it too much but I found the user accounts a little annoying. All the photos, apps and videos on my main account weren't on the secondary account. The apps should be shared imo.
Automatically shared apps would defeat some of the point of a multi-user environment. You wouldn't want your kids' apps/games to be polluting your app drawer and you might not want some of yours accessible to them. There should be an easier way to add apps that are already on the device, though; I agree there. You should be able to select an app that's on the device and add it to another user without you having to go through the Play Store all over again. At the very least, it should be automated, so that they're "installed" from the Play Store without you having to search for them and click Install and Accept for each one. Perhaps we'll see something like that in an upcoming release, like 4.2.1 or not until 5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
There's a lot more information in the blog post at the temporary website:
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/psa-...yanogenmod-org

Here's just some of it:
Quote:
But, a little over a week ago, things took a bad turn. The person owning the CyanogenMod.com domain was caught impersonating Steve to make referral deals with community sites. When confronted and asked to hand over control of the domain amicably, he decided he wanted 10K USD for it, which we won’t (and can’t) pay.

We contacted those he had established deals with, only to discover that the person tasked with maintaining our web presence was setting up deals under the CM name, and impersonating Cyanogen himself. Plenty of satisfying evidence was provided by those sites / entities to make us certain that this wasn’t a misunderstanding or one-time thing.
Quote:
We have changed ownership of the social media accounts. When asked again to make the transition nicely, he responded with the following

“Hi, so you think by removing all my access across the infrastructure was going to be a great idea? We had a chat yesterday, you’ve decided to end this bitter. How about I just change the DNS entries right now. CM will practically go down.”

Refusing to be extorted for funds, and then being threatened is “ending it bitter”? Today, it happened: all of our records were deleted, and cyanogenmod.com is slowly expiring out of the Internet and being replaced by blank pages and non-existing sites. @cyanogenmod.com e-mail is now being directed to a mailserver completely out of our control, too.
EDIT: They got their .com domain back, though they decided to simply have it redirect to their new .org address from now on.
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/doma...-been-resolved


Last edited by Osprey: 11-15-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Osprey is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
  #317
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend
 
Finnish your Czech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,405
vCash: 50
Google just send me an email stating that my order for the GN4 is on backorder and will be shipped within 3 weeks

Finnish your Czech is online now  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
  #318
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Google just send me an email stating that my order for the GN4 is on backorder and will be shipped within 3 weeks
Lots of folks were getting these. The Android Central forums were full of them. I was unable to get an order in. I imagine it'll be at least a month before they will be available in the Google Play store again.

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * Landeskog * Tulowitzki
Jori is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:10 PM
  #319
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,596
vCash: 500
horrible launch by google. i just want taht damn phone

awesomo is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
  #320
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,260
vCash: 500
Really loving what I'm seeing for the Droid DNA. But I will say the Verge review is completely full of ****. Android Police did a great analysis of the battery and honestly, I'd be ok with that. The only two nitpicks is that it's only 16GB (11/12GB usable) and the little plastic door that covers the USB port, but I know why that's there.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 07:13 PM
  #321
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Really loving what I'm seeing for the Droid DNA. But I will say the Verge review is completely full of ****. Android Police did a great analysis of the battery and honestly, I'd be ok with that. The only two nitpicks is that it's only 16GB (11/12GB usable) and the little plastic door that covers the USB port, but I know why that's there.
I like Dan Seifert so I can't bash the guy. But I will say I do not like the Verge's battery test.


Last edited by Sined: 11-16-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Sined is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
  #322
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,260
vCash: 500
You know he happened to miss a lot of info he should of put in the review like how it's waterproof and comparisons to other phones in battery life. But seriously, it's a pretty bad review. How could they test it so poorly? I'd have to go find it, but another site got at least 6 hours out of it (I think it was Laptop Mag) with straight LTE usage.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
  #323
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: United States
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
It turns out there's a Qualcomm seven-band LTE chip inside the Nexus 4. I wonder what they're going to do with that?

Dr GLU is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
  #324
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,468
vCash: 500
If that's true why would they advertise their phone as not being LTE capable if it is?

Dave is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 09:33 PM
  #325
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,596
vCash: 500
i like 4.2. Enjoy the multiple lock screens that i didnt have before.

using a rooted 4.2 but really just stock 4.2

awesomo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.