HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Dolphin is still my favorite browser
People should give ICS Browser+ a shot. I've tried just about every browser out there and it's my favorite. A lot of customization.

I would like to use Chrome, but as someone alluded to earlier, bookmarks are a pain in the ass to use.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I wonder if the Note 2 will be still a great choice when February rolls around. Since I have Verizon, I'd probably have to take a sugar cube to rub that ****ing atrocious logo off the home button.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
People should give ICS Browser+ a shot. I've tried just about every browser out there and it's my favorite. A lot of customization.

I would like to use Chrome, but as someone alluded to earlier, bookmarks are a pain in the ass to use.
Well my stock browser on HTC One S is pretty close ICS+

Old
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Well my stock browser on HTC One S is pretty close ICS+
In looks, yes. But there's more customization options.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I wonder if the Note 2 will be still a great choice when February rolls around. Since I have Verizon, I'd probably have to take a sugar cube to rub that ****ing atrocious logo off the home button.
The only thing it's really lacking is a 1080p screen, although the new LED pattern makes everything look a lot sharper than older 720p screens. It's good enough that I won't upgrade to the Note 3 unless it absolutely blows the doors off the entire industry.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Dave

Is 1080p even going to do anything noticeable on screens the size of phone screens?

Old
11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Is 1080p even going to do anything noticeable on screens the size of phone screens?
Yep...

I've never fully understood the claims that PPI isn't discernible after a certain point, at least not yet. Most reviews of the Droid DNA state that the screen is just beautiful, but not as dramatic as previous generational display improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget Review on the Droid DNA Display
And here it is: the crown jewel of the DNA. The feature that makes it stand out above the rest of the quad-core crowd: that 5-inch, 1080p (1,920 x 1,080) display. More specifically, this IPS panel -- also known as the Super LCD3 -- is an evolution of the SLCD2 you can find on the One X. If you recall, we declared that device's display to be the best we'd ever laid eyes on; the DNA, however, easily steals that title away. Granted, it's an iterative bump in resolution: the Super LCD2 panel on the One X had packed more pixels than the naked eye could discern, so pushing the density by over 100ppi merely makes the DNA screen sharper and clearer.

How good is it? Images appear to just float above the screen. The font rendering is crisper than anything we've ever seen, and 1080p movies look simply stunning. Colors seem to appear more natural (without being overly saturated), the darks are darker and whites are not as harsh to our eyes as they were on the One X. Viewing angles are just as stellar, and you will love to use this phone in direct sunlight because even at 50 percent brightness you can see everything without straining your eyes -- something that we can only say about a select few devices.

We give the Super LCD3 display all the praise in the world, because it's the current undisputed champion in the mobile industry. It can't be argued that the 1080p screen is the most beautiful we've laid eyes on to date, but don't go giving your current 720p display the heave-ho just for that single reason. It's an iterative improvement to be sure, and it's love at first sight, but it's a bit more nuanced than any previous bump in resolution. To put it more succinctly: it's difficult to go back to a qHD screen after using 720p for an extended period of time, but we don't have the same reservations going back to the One X+ display after using the DNA.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:08 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
In looks, yes. But there's more customization options.
Probably

Im gonna download ICS+ and try it

Old
12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
TJ21
MFW canucks

vCash: 827
Nexus 10 came yesterday, absolutely love it so far. Any of you guys have any suggestion as to cases?

Old
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
discostu

I was hoping for a little shopping help. I have the Galaxy S3, which I've been a fan of. My wife needs a new phone, as, she'll be losing her work Blackberry around February, and, we're looking for a personal phone for her.

I'm looking for an Android for her, but I worry that the Galaxy S3 is too big, and too difficult to handle with one hand. What are some Android alternatives that aren't quite as big (in the 3.5" to 4.0" screen size), that are still powerful enough phones.

Both my wife and I are not Apple fans, or otherwise, I'd be going with Iphone 5, as it seems like the ideal size. I prefer Android, because it's what I have, and, she's not that technically inclined, but, if we're on the same operating system, it's easier for me to help her set things up.

Appreciate any help and suggestions. If I can do this as a Xmas gift, I will. But, if there's any upcoming phones coming out early in 2013 that are worth waiting for, I'd consider that option as well.

Thanks

Old
12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
CloudReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I'm looking for an Android for her, but I worry that the Galaxy S3 is too big, and too difficult to handle with one hand. What are some Android alternatives that aren't quite as big (in the 3.5" to 4.0" screen size), that are still powerful enough phones.
If you're looking for ~top of the line devices at that size, I'm afraid it's pretty much iPhone 5 for Canada. If she can tolerate 4.3', then there's the HTC One S.

The US has a Razr M exclusive to Verizon: 4.3' but the bezel is thin enough to practically match the iPhone in width. If you're willing to pony up the money on Ebay, the Xperia SX (Japan exclusive ~$900 CAD) is what you're looking for at 3.7' with good specs. Must check radio compatibility though.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Wish there were something packing the specs of the Nexus 4 in something smaller 4.0-4.3'.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
I was hoping for a little shopping help. I have the Galaxy S3, which I've been a fan of. My wife needs a new phone, as, she'll be losing her work Blackberry around February, and, we're looking for a personal phone for her.

Both my wife and I are not Apple fans, or otherwise, I'd be going with Iphone 5, as it seems like the ideal size. I prefer Android, because it's what I have, and, she's not that technically inclined, but, if we're on the same operating system, it's easier for me to help her set things up.

Appreciate any help and suggestions. If I can do this as a Xmas gift, I will. But, if there's any upcoming phones coming out early in 2013 that are worth waiting for, I'd consider that option as well.

Thanks
As the poster above me said, it's hard to find a top of the line Android with that screen size. I'd go ahead with a bigger screen. Typing is the only con for one-handed use. It's actually not that hard using the Android phones in one hand.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:

Thanks
HTC One S

Old
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

My co-worker just got a 16 gb Nexus 7

Im playing with it right now

She got it at Best Buy along with a protective film, all that for 170$

Because the box was open

FML

Old
12-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Just got an email that the Nexus 4 will be on sale (in Canada) at 12PM PST today.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
Just got an email that the Nexus 4 will be on sale (in Canada) at 12PM PST today.
on sale as in available, or as in cheaper?

Old
12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
on sale as in available, or as in cheaper?
The former.

I'm going to try and get one. Hopefully the shipping time isn't too ridiculous.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
The former.

I'm going to try and get one. Hopefully the shipping time isn't too ridiculous.
I want a Nexus but dont know where to spend the money

Nexus phone or tablet ?

I have an HTC One S, which is still great TBH; running Apex pro with Jelly bean launcher

Old
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

I got my order in for a Nexus 4. Google says it will ship in 1-2 weeks.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:14 PM
awesomo
HARD!

3-4 weeks for me

Old
12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
CloudReader

Wow, 20 min later and it's already up to 6-7 weeks. I don't think the 8 gb version ever became available.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:

Thanks
People seem to be afraid of larger screen sizes until they get to try them out in person.

I'd take her to a Best Buy and have her take each phone for a 5 minute test drive.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:

Thanks
Have your wife play with your GS3 for a couple hours at home one day. It takes more time to get used to the size than you'd ever spend in the store trying one out. Otherwise, if she's coming from a Blackberry and isn't tech savvy, there's no reason why she even needs a phone that powerful. As long as you're not looking for high-end Android phones you can still get them with smaller screens.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Okay...so I just rewarded myself with an early christmas present and got myself a Samsung Galaxy S3. First droid ever (well I've owned a tab previously)

What are some absolute essentials for this thing? Or maybe just anything cool that you can recommend? Other than Swiftkey and Zedge

1 day in and I already have one complaint. Went from 91 to 70% battery in 1 1/2 hours keeping it off wi-fi and data and just answering a few texts and the rest of the time keeping it on standby. How can the battery already be this bad? 1 charge so far.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Okay...so I just rewarded myself with an early christmas present and got myself a Samsung Galaxy S3. First droid ever (well I've owned a tab previously)

What are some absolute essentials for this thing? Or maybe just anything cool that you can recommend? Other than Swiftkey and Zedge

1 day in and I already have one complaint. Went from 91 to 70% battery in 1 1/2 hours keeping it off wi-fi and data and just answering a few texts and the rest of the time keeping it on standby. How can the battery already be this bad? 1 charge so far.
Have you updated to jelly bean yet?

Closed Thread