HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Have you updated to jelly bean yet?
Uhmmm...no.

What's the difference? And my experience with software updates is they take up more battery life.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
TomPlex

vCash: 500
FINALLY ordered my N4 today. So excited.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
1 day in and I already have one complaint. Went from 91 to 70% battery in 1 1/2 hours keeping it off wi-fi and data and just answering a few texts and the rest of the time keeping it on standby. How can the battery already be this bad? 1 charge so far.
Do a full cycle charge (drain to 0% and charge fully to 100%) and then try out the battery. Not sure how it went so fast if that's all you're doing. Because you'll probably want mobile data on the phone, if you have a good Wi-Fi connection, use it. It actually helps save battery vs 3G or LTE.

Other than that, what's your screen brightness? Not really sure what to sell you about that issue.

Quote:
Uhmmm...no.

What's the difference? And my experience with software updates is they take up more battery life.
Can't really comment on battery life for it, but Jelly Bean is awesome. It introduces Project Butter, which is a smoother experience. You'll notice a smoother transition when switching between windows, apps, etc. It also introduces Google Now, which is a Google Search engine that uses voice commands. It learns your interests and likes through what you search to provide you easy access to the stuff you enjoy the most. An example would be if you used Google Now to check Yankee scores a lot. It would recognize that you like the Yankees, and send you more updates for Yankee's games automatically. The notification bar is also a big upgrade. You can expand your notifications to see more of the important ones and swipe them away.

Definitely recommend Jelly Bean. I'd check our articles online for battery management if the full cycle charge didn't do any help. It should, though. If it gets really bad, just buy an extra battery. They're pretty cheap and handy.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:38 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

I'm planning on buying one of those mophie cases for it. Another thing I'm not liking is how hot it gets running apps. Even through the case it's uncomfortably warm. But other than that it's a stellar device.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

The transition from GB to ICS was huge

JB adds a few nice features, but I can wait for the update

I played with one of my friend's JB device, and the transitions are not any smoother than my ICS phone
Regarding Google Now, it'S nice, but I can live without it

ICS is good enough for me

Old
12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
The transition from GB to ICS was huge

JB adds a few nice features, but I can wait for the update

I played with one of my friend's JB device, and the transitions are not any smoother than my ICS phone
Regarding Google Now, it'S nice, but I can live without it

ICS is good enough for me
If you have a device that has plenty of JB ROMs available for it, you deserve to try a version of JB on your phone. It's absolutely awesome. In particular, the expanded/enhanced notifications is a killer feature.

On the Bionic, JB ROMs have the camera borked, so for me that's a deal breaker, but good god, the rest of the phone just hums along.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
optimus2861

I actually tried to use Kies to update my Galaxy S2 from GB to ICS, and the piece of junk can't recognize my phone. Guess all the horror stories I heard about Kies were true.

I really haven't the patience to troubleshoot the thing. I uninstalled it and it won't find its way onto my PC again.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
TJ21
Canucks GOAT of WOAT

vCash: 827
Quote:
Okay...so I just rewarded myself with an early christmas present and got myself a Samsung Galaxy S3. First droid ever (well I've owned a tab previously)

What are some absolute essentials for this thing? Or maybe just anything cool that you can recommend? Other than Swiftkey and Zedge

1 day in and I already have one complaint. Went from 91 to 70% battery in 1 1/2 hours keeping it off wi-fi and data and just answering a few texts and the rest of the time keeping it on standby. How can the battery already be this bad? 1 charge so far.
Go into your drop-down settings and try turning off GPS, Bluetooth, and sync if they aren't off already. Helped me quite a bit.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
CloudReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
what are some new 10" models from these brands (or better brands) up to around 400 bucks, 16GB would be fine too if it has an SD slot
This should interest you.
http://gizmodo.com/5965562/toshibas-...et-on-a-budget

Old
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ21 View Post
Go into your drop-down settings and try turning off GPS, Bluetooth, and sync if they aren't off already. Helped me quite a bit.
Both gps and Bluetooth were off but turning off sync has made a huge difference.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

http://www.***********/r/Android/comm...sers_platform/

Very interesting results compared to Official Android Distribution Numbers.

Just goes to show that the enthusiast community is most probably relatively up to date with OS versions.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
If you have a device that has plenty of JB ROMs available for it, you deserve to try a version of JB on your phone. It's absolutely awesome. In particular, the expanded/enhanced notifications is a killer feature.

On the Bionic, JB ROMs have the camera borked, so for me that's a deal breaker, but good god, the rest of the phone just hums along.
I'm afraid to brick my phone if I root

I've read the tutorials, and it seems doable, but then I read horror stories on Android forums about bricked phones/features missing/etc...

Old
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
I'm afraid to brick my phone if I root

I've read the tutorials, and it seems doable, but then I read horror stories on Android forums about bricked phones/features missing/etc...
Rooting is pretty simple and as long as you follow the tutorial you'll be ok. It's loading custom ROMs on your phone that's a bit harder.

I actually thought I bricked my Galaxy S2 (only about two months after getting it). I went to install CM10 onto it and it went well. The camera didn't work, however. The next alpha came out, so I downloaded it and the camera got better, although no video recording. Alpha 3 had video recording, so I flashed it. Somewhere something went wrong and one of the cache's corrupted. This caused the update to keep trying to update that part for an hour. It eventually shut off and back on and it would get stuck in a loop.

I tried everything but nothing was working. I tried connecting to my phone through Odin and that didn't even work. The last thing I read was to connect it to Odin through the computer I originally rooted it on. This solved the problem and I was able to upload the stock OS to the phone. This didn't turn me off of flashing custom ROM's, though. Right away I flashed another one.

tl;dr it's tempting but risky if you're not careful.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Got my S3, perfect other than it's pretty infuriating to get media on to the SD card.

More than how to fix it, does anyone have a reason as to why they wouldn't make the SD card mountable on a Mac?

Old
12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Got my S3, perfect other than it's pretty infuriating to get media on to the SD card.

More than how to fix it, does anyone have a reason as to why they wouldn't make the SD card mountable on a Mac?

I would think it's like a Note 2?

Open folder, drag files... drop... ?

Old
12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post

or any android phone really.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Rooting is pretty simple and as long as you follow the tutorial you'll be ok. It's loading custom ROMs on your phone that's a bit harder.

I actually thought I bricked my Galaxy S2 (only about two months after getting it). I went to install CM10 onto it and it went well. The camera didn't work, however. The next alpha came out, so I downloaded it and the camera got better, although no video recording. Alpha 3 had video recording, so I flashed it. Somewhere something went wrong and one of the cache's corrupted. This caused the update to keep trying to update that part for an hour. It eventually shut off and back on and it would get stuck in a loop.

I tried everything but nothing was working. I tried connecting to my phone through Odin and that didn't even work. The last thing I read was to connect it to Odin through the computer I originally rooted it on. This solved the problem and I was able to upload the stock OS to the phone. This didn't turn me off of flashing custom ROM's, though. Right away I flashed another one.

tl;dr it's tempting but risky if you're not careful.
lol I thought loading the custom ROMs was the easiest part

Anyway, if I'm gonna root, I'm gonna do it on a day I'm fully awake

Old
12-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:

Avoid all that. Just use AirDroid.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

On a Mac?

My brief readings suggest this could also be a case of ICS vs JB

Old
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
On a Mac?

Oh.

On a Mac I don't know.

Is it really that much different?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Oh.

On a Mac I don't know.

Is it really that much different?
Yes it is because Android has moved to the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) away from the UMS Mode (Universal Mass Storage Mode) for several reasons.

MTP is mainly a Windows Standard.

Quote:
On a Mac?

If you're absolutely DEAD SET on using USB to transfer your stuff, you can use this: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

But again, I don't know if you're ignoring me, but just use AirDroid it's far easier and has great features.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
So I was never a big fan of Swype. SwiftKey is the way to go. It's the best keyboard app out there for any product on any OS that I've seen.

Even with my hatred of Swype, I have to say--SwiftKey Flow is ****ING amazing. LOL. So cool. Typing entire sentences without lifting my finger? WITH predictive text? Awesome, awesome, awesome.

It's just pain.
Old
12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Avoid all that. Just use AirDroid.

Thanks for the tip. I've never had a problem with dragging and dropping, but this is that much easier.

Just installed SwiftKey Flow, but can't get the English language pack to download.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
SoulPatch

Quote:
lol I thought loading the custom ROMs was the easiest part

Anyway, if I'm gonna root, I'm gonna do it on a day I'm fully awake
Just make sure to read up on all the info. Also make sure you're following the right instructions (some devices are a bit different depending on the region). When I rooted my Atrix, I had a mini-heart attack because I soft-bricked my phone by follwoing the US-Atrix instructions. Luckily there was an easy fix, but for a couple of hours I seriously thought I was phoneless.

Also, I rooted my HTC One X immediately, but once again, I had some problems trying to install a custom recovery b/c I was follwoing the international instructions. There was no brick issue though.

IMO depending on the device, rooting + installing a custom recovery is the hardest part. Once you have a custom recovery on the device you can backup/restore to whatever rom you want. If you make a mistake, you can just restore to a prior date and don't have to worry.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I rooted my SGSIII as soon as a method was available. Rooting went off without a hitch, though when I was pushing the custom recovery in ADB I made a typo and bricked myself. Device wouldn't even power up, couldn't access recovery menu or download mode.

Fortunately, the Verizon store reps had no idea how to do anything and took me at my word that the device randomly stopped working. Got a replacement later that day.

Closed Thread