HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Anyone get a high-pitched whine when connecting their Android to their car via aux cable?

It's a ****ing dealbreaker for me. I bought the S3 so I could load 60+gb of music and drop my iPod from regular use, now it's barely listenable in the car.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Anyone get a high-pitched whine when connecting their Android to their car via aux cable?

It's a ****ing dealbreaker for me. I bought the S3 so I could load 60+gb of music and drop my iPod from regular use, now it's barely listenable in the car.
Wow, does it happen with headphones?
The Qualcomm S4's Digital-to-Analog converter is one of the best on the market.
So sound quality should be top notch.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:

Are you charging it at the same time. Sounds like a grounding loop problem to me. Cheap cigarette lighter chargers have this problem.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:25 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Are you charging it at the same time. Sounds like a grounding loop problem to me. Cheap cigarette lighter chargers have this problem.
My thoughts as well. If you're not charging it, just try another cable. If the phone sounds fine through headphones, it's extremely unlikely it's a problem with the phone.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
KISSland

Which phone is better? By how much? Is it worth the $200 difference?

HTC oneS or the Samsung Galaxy S3?

Old
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post

S3 is better. Never handled a oneS so I can't tell you by how much but the S3 has the same tabbed video watching as my Note 2 which I must say is amazing.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

It's likely alternator whine because 1) the accessories in your car weren't grounded properly or 2) your accessory cable is a piece of junk.

Much more likely to be #2, though.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/27189

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...car-aux-ports/

Old
12-11-2012, 10:07 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
S3 is better. Never handled a oneS so I can't tell you by how much but the S3 has the same tabbed video watching as my Note 2 which I must say is amazing.
I'm coming from a HTC evo hd.. I'm looking at camera, performance, battery. Heavy usage. I use my camera a lot. And I don't want my phone to die half way using my phone.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:21 AM
KISSland

I need an unbiased opinion:

Galaxy S3, LG Optimus 4X HD, and HTC One S.

Which one is the best and worse with:

Battery life:
Camera:
Processor:

I don't have the budget to afford the galaxy s3 right now that's why I'm considering the other two because they're much cheaper.

Like I said before I'm coming off a HTC EVO HD. The biggest problem with this POS is that it dies after 3-4 hours of use. It lags tremendously now. And it's just time to move on. I go on the internet often. I listen to music with this. I'm in class often. I take many pictures. Again heavy usage.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:35 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:

What about the One X? It's closer to the S3 and in my case was $80 cheaper, which I believe the S3 wasn't worth the difference. Seeing as there's a One X+ now while the S3 is still their top of the line the price difference might be even greater.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
I'm really liking the Nexus 4.

12-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Osprey

Quote:

I followed Jonathan's links and, eventually, came across this, which may be the best option for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Red.../dp/B0031U1ATQ

It's a few bucks more than the isolators on eBay, but is a 3.5mm cable with the isolator built into it, is from a well-known accessory maker and through Amazon.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
What about the One X? It's closer to the S3 and in my case was $80 cheaper, which I believe the S3 wasn't worth the difference. Seeing as there's a One X+ now while the S3 is still their top of the line the price difference might be even greater.
Damn that's not an option for me right now.

I'm thinking of switching to WIND Mobile cause someone I know can give me a great deal.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:01 AM
KISSland

Why's the nexus 4 priced at $600 now? When I heard it was for $300?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Dave

I just checked the googleplay store and the nexus4 is $310 and $360 for 8gb and 16gb.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:37 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I just checked the googleplay store and the nexus4 is $310 and $360 for 8gb and 16gb.
Derp. Sold out.

Anyone know when they'll come back in stock?

This phone is priced specifically for me.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Dave

They went on sale last week and sold out within a few hours. The last people to get them were quoted 6-8 weeks for delivery. Not sure if that represents a similar time frame for restocking. I also read that people were quoted long delivery times but ended up getting them sooner.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:05 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
They went on sale last week and sold out within a few hours. The last people to get them were quoted 6-8 weeks for delivery. Not sure if that represents a similar time frame for restocking. I also read that people were quoted long delivery times but ended up getting them sooner.
Damn I'm not sure if i can wait for a whole 2 months plus the additional time it will take to ship the phone. But its so much cheaper than buying either of the 3 phones and matches best with the S3 . Not sure what to do. Hm. Will ask my bud if the plan can wait 2 months+

Old
12-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Damn I'm not sure if i can wait for a whole 2 months plus the additional time it will take to ship the phone. But its so much cheaper than buying either of the 3 phones and matches best with the S3 . Not sure what to do. Hm. Will ask my bud if the plan can wait 2 months+
You could sign up with the plan, use a crappy phone (buy some older phone off ebay or something, make sure its AWS compatible for WIND) for the 2 months then get the Nexus 4 once its available.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
You could sign up with the plan, use a crappy phone (buy some older phone off ebay or something, make sure its AWS compatible for WIND) for the 2 months then get the Nexus 4 once its available.
I'm going to try this. Need to find one on clist though.

I had the galaxy nexus when it first came out and it was a beast. I'm looking forward to the nexus 4. Thanks.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
I'm going to try this. Need to find one on clist though.

I had the galaxy nexus when it first came out and it was a beast. I'm looking forward to the nexus 4. Thanks.
You gotta be more in the loop. At this pace you're not going to get this phone till the summer lol

Old
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I followed Jonathan's links and, eventually, came across this, which may be the best option for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Red.../dp/B0031U1ATQ

It's a few bucks more than the isolators on eBay, but is a 3.5mm cable with the isolator built into it, is from a well-known accessory maker and through Amazon.
That's what I'm using. Before that I had some ground noise buzz if I also had my phone or ipod plugged in to a 12V car adapter to charge - although this was more of an issue with my old ipod classic than with my Galaxy Nexus.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
You gotta be more in the loop. At this pace you're not going to get this phone till the summer lol
It's pretty funny you say that. I used to be up to date with every android news out there. Before I had my galaxy nexus I was looking for the best phone out there. It was galaxy nexus at the time. I got the phone and 6 months in, my phone got stolen. I got the HTC from my friend and I've been using this for the longest time.

But this phone is so useless(aside from the camera.) It's time to move on. I'm sure once I factory reset it I can sell it for $50 to some teeny bopper lol.

I didn't even know the n4 was out till I looked up the posts in this thread and Finish Your Czeck mentionned it.

Anyway can I get a notification when theyll be up ? Like you said i dont want to miss out. And taking 5/6 classes will likely get me to forget.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:20 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
It's pretty funny you say that. I used to be up to date with every android news out there. Before I had my galaxy nexus I was looking for the best phone out there. It was galaxy nexus at the time. I got the phone and 6 months in, my phone got stolen. I got the HTC from my friend and I've been using this for the longest time.

But this phone is so useless(aside from the camera.) It's time to move on. I'm sure once I factory reset it I can sell it for $50 to some teeny bopper lol.

I didn't even know the n4 was out till I looked up the posts and Finish Your Czeck mentionned it.

Anyway i can get a notification when theyll be up ? Like you said i dont want to miss out. And taking 5/6 classes will likely get me to forget.
I think you can go on the play store and get email notifications on when our comes out again. That's how I was notified like a week ago.

Google **** the bed on this release big time. They even admitted along with lg that they never thought the demand would be this heavy. Which is hilarious considering it's a top line phone selling at an unlocked price of about 400

Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Curious, is the ONLY phone on Verizon that's unlocked is the iPhone 5? Apparently it's because of some FCC rule... but Android phones can't come like this? I love Verizon's coverage and their prices are reasonable... but holy balls... The only reason this got brought up was because I saw a video on unlocking the Galaxy Note II on Verizon.

Closed Thread