HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post

Apple Maps had 10M+ downloads in the first 48 hours they were available. I think that's all that needs to be said.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/17/g...medium=twitter

You mean Google Maps?

Old
12-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Yeah, meant Google. Thanks.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:11 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So... Bell, Telus, Rogers just dropped their 3 year term pricing on the Note 2 to $99.95...

Now begs my question of why anyone would get an Iphone 5 @ $169.95 vs Note 2 at $99.95 or Galaxy S3 @ $49.95... was grappling with this at work all day...
Why would that be such a ridiculous question? Some don't want or need a big screen. I was thinking of selling my 5 for a Note 2, but once I handled one I couldn't imagine ever having it as my daily driver. It was unwieldy. I don't get this about Android fanboys. You can't fathom why someone would want to own an impeccably built phone over a plastic-y, cheap feeling Samsung? Sined was actually correct when he referred to Samsungs as being fragile feeling when I was contemplating buying the Note.

Apple fanboys who "can't understand" why someone would want an Android phone have now been equaled or surpassed by Android fanboys spouting the opposite.

The 5 is the best made phone (in terms of build quality) on the market right now. HTC has narrowed the gap considerably. And this is a very important aspect to a lot of people when purchasing a phone. I'm sincerely hoping Samsung catches up with Apple and HTC in that regard, because I'd consider buying the GS4 if it didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why would that be such a ridiculous question? Some don't want or need a big screen. I was thinking of selling my 5 for a Note 2, but once I handled one I couldn't imagine ever having it as my daily driver. It was unwieldy. I don't get this about Android fanboys. You can't fathom why someone would want to own an impeccably built phone over a plastic-y, cheap feeling Samsung? Sined was actually correct when he referred to Samsungs as being fragile feeling when I was contemplating buying the Note.

Apple fanboys who "can't understand" why someone would want an Android phone have now been equaled or surpassed by Android fanboys spouting the opposite.

The 5 is the best made phone (in terms of build quality) on the market right now. HTC has narrowed the gap considerably. And this is a very important aspect to a lot of people when purchasing a phone. I'm sincerely hoping Samsung catches up with Apple and HTC in that regard, because I'd consider buying the GS4 if it didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.
The 5 is the best made phone in terms of build quality? What about the light leak on the camera? What about the cheap pvd coating that scratches off?

The One X is the best made phone IMO. I'd even argue that material quality isn't the same as build quality, and that the S3 doesn't have the build quality problems that the iphone 5 has. Material quality is a different matter but even then you could say the iphone 5 has expensive but poorly chosen materials that don't enhance durability (the only reason it wins drop tests is because it's small) or performance. If we're looking at the high-end feel of it in your hand, then sure, the iphone is fine. I'd still probably take the One X though since the polycarbonate feels awesome. The new BB10 devices actually look very nice and have a textured back (which I can't believe others don't do) - they should rank right up there when they come out finally.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

As someone who handles and sells cell phones from Verizon all day, the razr hd and the dna are my favorite phones when it comes to feeling. And the one x+ is also a great feeling phone. I'd put the iPhone in 4th after those phones.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Curious, if I were to still go to the point where I would upgrade my phone and lose my unlimited data (and go for something like a 4GB shared data over 3 phones a month), should I go for the DNA or the Note 2?

Old
12-19-2012, 03:08 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:

As someone who has used both the Iphone 5 and the Note 2... I'm not sure if you understood my point.

The iphone 5 is fine, but there's no chance it's worth double the Note, or triple the S3.

Not sure what part of the Note 2 and Galaxy you're referring to in terms of build. I dropped my note from 7 feet up, back popped off and phone was immaculate.

I watched my father drop an Iphone 4S out of his hand and watched the screen shatter...

Not to mention the many issues over the last few iphones: Camera leak, antenna placement etc.

It was a price point comparison I was referring to, regardless.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:

That's iPhone in a nutshell. "Some don't want or need" all of the benefits that Android/Samsung phones offer. It's a fair statement.

My wife needs only phone/text/FB/Pinterest, and to throw some music on it once in a while from the computer. iPhone is perfect for her.

Though the times that she wishes she had a bigger/removable battery, music editing capabilities, more storage, torrent downloading, live wallpaper, widgets, USB OTG connectivity, HDMI-out, etc. do seem to happen more frequently as of late.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:53 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
That's iPhone in a nutshell. "Some don't want or need" all of the benefits that Android/Samsung phones offer. It's a fair statement.

My wife needs only phone/text/FB/Pinterest, and to throw some music on it once in a while from the computer. iPhone is perfect for her.

Though the times that she wishes she had a bigger/removable battery, music editing capabilities, more storage, torrent downloading, live wallpaper, widgets, USB OTG connectivity, HDMI-out, etc. do seem to happen more frequently as of late.
Well... more money was really my point, but there's that too.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:12 AM
TomPlex

Sent from my Nexus 4.

You're all jelly.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Sent from my Nexus 4.

You're all jelly.
Ive been Jelly for a few days now

Old
12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Shameless plug for my LG Optimus G review.
http://www.androidbugle.com/2012/12/...-g-review.html

Really nice phone. If I liked the Optimus G this much I can't wait to try out the Nexus 4.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Acer smartphone ?

http://www.androidauthority.com/acer...ements-141312/

Old
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM
CloudReader

I find complaints about Samsung build quality overblown. Some tech sites (The Verge) love to push that opinion, which is reinforced by those horrible in-store display demos -empty plastic shells that in no way reflect the real feel of the device.

My Nexus 4 arrived yesterday. Its build quality is universally praised by reviewers. Yet between the N4 and my friend's GSIII, I wouldn't consider the feel of the device to be a deal-breaker at all. Both still feel inferior to an iPhone 5 though, but that probably has something to do with how light the devices are compared to their sizes.

Quote:
Shameless plug for my LG Optimus G review.
http://www.androidbugle.com/2012/12/...-g-review.html
This is the first time I see a review done so close to where I live lol.

Last edited by CloudReader: 12-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Still wish there was a CDMA version (eventually) of the Nexus 4. But I understand why there isn't one (GSM is WAY more widespread and 3G is easily the most common data technology).

Old
12-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, if I were to still go to the point where I would upgrade my phone and lose my unlimited data (and go for something like a 4GB shared data over 3 phones a month), should I go for the DNA or the Note 2?
Hopefully somebody can answer this question cause I'm curious, too. I think the Note 2 is the best phone on the market at this time, but I haven't used the Droid DNA yet. I'd love to hear someone's opinion who have used both. I know the DNA has an amazing screen so I'd love to hear people's opinions.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post

Because once a person realizes that there's more you can do with a phone than what Apple allows, you want to have those features. However, if you never know of the existence of those features, then it's all fine. Ignorance is bliss. It's only once you've experienced it, it's tough to go back.

I feel this way about Nexus phones now. I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Nexus phone after having one.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Well... more money was really my point, but there's that too.
The higher price for the phone is only the start. Cables, adapters, nearly every accessory Apple sells is overpriced and of poor build.

I feel like Homer in the Flaming Moe episode, yelling, trying to tell Moe "You just lost yourself a customer!". Oh well.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Even with the tabs covering the ports, it's ******* sexy.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12...-rear-shooter/

Old
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Hopefully somebody can answer this question cause I'm curious, too. I think the Note 2 is the best phone on the market at this time, but I haven't used the Droid DNA yet. I'd love to hear someone's opinion who have used both. I know the DNA has an amazing screen so I'd love to hear people's opinions.
DNA over the note 2 imo. Screen quality is outstanding. And the note 2 is just too big. But that's just my preference

Old
12-19-2012, 07:40 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
DNA over the note 2 imo. Screen quality is outstanding. And the note 2 is just too big. But that's just my preference
For me, going from a Droid X to the DNA has been almost unnoticeable in terms of how it feels in the hand. It's longer, but only slightly wider. This sucker is thin, too. The screen is something to behold. I'm not fibbing when I say that a few coworkers with the iPhone 5 were impressed with it (wallpapers and Angry Birds SW, at least).

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
12-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Even with the tabs covering the ports, it's ******* sexy.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12...-rear-shooter/
That looks awesome. I wish it had weight/thinness specs, along with battery specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
For me, going from a Droid X to the DNA has been almost unnoticeable in terms of how it feels in the hand. It's longer, but only slightly wider. This sucker is thin, too. The screen is something to behold. I'm not fibbing when I say that a few coworkers with the iPhone 5 were impressed with it (wallpapers and Angry Birds SW, at least).
Thanks guys. I've heard amazing things about the Droid DNA's screen, but I haven't been able to see it in person (being from Canada). Is it going to come out on any other carriers?

Old
12-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've heard amazing things about the Droid DNA's screen, but I haven't been able to see it in person (being from Canada). Is it going to come out on any other carriers?
It doesn't look like it.

Also, I want to point out that the Galaxy Note II has insanely good battery life. Also it's available on every major carrier in Canada.

(I do wish the DNA/Butterfly would come to Canada though)

Old
12-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Got the S3 today. Neat phone, I quite like it. I'll still keep my Nexus and just use it when I travel. I won't bother getting the S3 unlocked or rooting it for the time being.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
It doesn't look like it.

Also, I want to point out that the Galaxy Note II has insanely good battery life. Also it's available on every major carrier in Canada.

(I do wish the DNA/Butterfly would come to Canada though)

I ran 5 hours of straight youtube on mine (HSPA+ though, not LTE) and still had over 60% battery.

My old desire z would have been dead 2 hours in.

Closed Thread