HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
  #576
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post


Apple Maps had 10M+ downloads in the first 48 hours they were available. I think that's all that needs to be said.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/17/g...medium=twitter

You mean Google Maps?

Sined is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 07:06 PM
  #577
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Yeah, meant Google. Thanks.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 07:11 PM
  #578
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,851
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So... Bell, Telus, Rogers just dropped their 3 year term pricing on the Note 2 to $99.95...

Now begs my question of why anyone would get an Iphone 5 @ $169.95 vs Note 2 at $99.95 or Galaxy S3 @ $49.95... was grappling with this at work all day...
Why would that be such a ridiculous question? Some don't want or need a big screen. I was thinking of selling my 5 for a Note 2, but once I handled one I couldn't imagine ever having it as my daily driver. It was unwieldy. I don't get this about Android fanboys. You can't fathom why someone would want to own an impeccably built phone over a plastic-y, cheap feeling Samsung? Sined was actually correct when he referred to Samsungs as being fragile feeling when I was contemplating buying the Note.

Apple fanboys who "can't understand" why someone would want an Android phone have now been equaled or surpassed by Android fanboys spouting the opposite.

The 5 is the best made phone (in terms of build quality) on the market right now. HTC has narrowed the gap considerably. And this is a very important aspect to a lot of people when purchasing a phone. I'm sincerely hoping Samsung catches up with Apple and HTC in that regard, because I'd consider buying the GS4 if it didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is online now  
Old
12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
  #579
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Totally lost
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,371
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why would that be such a ridiculous question? Some don't want or need a big screen. I was thinking of selling my 5 for a Note 2, but once I handled one I couldn't imagine ever having it as my daily driver. It was unwieldy. I don't get this about Android fanboys. You can't fathom why someone would want to own an impeccably built phone over a plastic-y, cheap feeling Samsung? Sined was actually correct when he referred to Samsungs as being fragile feeling when I was contemplating buying the Note.

Apple fanboys who "can't understand" why someone would want an Android phone have now been equaled or surpassed by Android fanboys spouting the opposite.

The 5 is the best made phone (in terms of build quality) on the market right now. HTC has narrowed the gap considerably. And this is a very important aspect to a lot of people when purchasing a phone. I'm sincerely hoping Samsung catches up with Apple and HTC in that regard, because I'd consider buying the GS4 if it didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.
The 5 is the best made phone in terms of build quality? What about the light leak on the camera? What about the cheap pvd coating that scratches off?

The One X is the best made phone IMO. I'd even argue that material quality isn't the same as build quality, and that the S3 doesn't have the build quality problems that the iphone 5 has. Material quality is a different matter but even then you could say the iphone 5 has expensive but poorly chosen materials that don't enhance durability (the only reason it wins drop tests is because it's small) or performance. If we're looking at the high-end feel of it in your hand, then sure, the iphone is fine. I'd still probably take the One X though since the polycarbonate feels awesome. The new BB10 devices actually look very nice and have a textured back (which I can't believe others don't do) - they should rank right up there when they come out finally.

vBurmi is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 09:31 PM
  #580
Gonzothe7thDman
Registered User
 
Gonzothe7thDman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bridgewater, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 5,655
vCash: 500
As someone who handles and sells cell phones from Verizon all day, the razr hd and the dna are my favorite phones when it comes to feeling. And the one x+ is also a great feeling phone. I'd put the iPhone in 4th after those phones.

Gonzothe7thDman is online now  
Old
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
  #581
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,643
vCash: 500
Curious, if I were to still go to the point where I would upgrade my phone and lose my unlimited data (and go for something like a 4GB shared data over 3 phones a month), should I go for the DNA or the Note 2?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:08 AM
  #582
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why would that be such a ridiculous question? Some don't want or need a big screen. I was thinking of selling my 5 for a Note 2, but once I handled one I couldn't imagine ever having it as my daily driver. It was unwieldy. I don't get this about Android fanboys. You can't fathom why someone would want to own an impeccably built phone over a plastic-y, cheap feeling Samsung? Sined was actually correct when he referred to Samsungs as being fragile feeling when I was contemplating buying the Note.

Apple fanboys who "can't understand" why someone would want an Android phone have now been equaled or surpassed by Android fanboys spouting the opposite.

The 5 is the best made phone (in terms of build quality) on the market right now. HTC has narrowed the gap considerably. And this is a very important aspect to a lot of people when purchasing a phone. I'm sincerely hoping Samsung catches up with Apple and HTC in that regard, because I'd consider buying the GS4 if it didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.
As someone who has used both the Iphone 5 and the Note 2... I'm not sure if you understood my point.

The iphone 5 is fine, but there's no chance it's worth double the Note, or triple the S3.

Not sure what part of the Note 2 and Galaxy you're referring to in terms of build. I dropped my note from 7 feet up, back popped off and phone was immaculate.

I watched my father drop an Iphone 4S out of his hand and watched the screen shatter...

Not to mention the many issues over the last few iphones: Camera leak, antenna placement etc.

It was a price point comparison I was referring to, regardless.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 04:15 AM
  #583
Psycho Dad
Registered User
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 11,122
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why would that be such a ridiculous question? Some don't want or need a big screen. I was thinking of selling my 5 for a Note 2, but once I handled one I couldn't imagine ever having it as my daily driver. It was unwieldy. I don't get this about Android fanboys. You can't fathom why someone would want to own an impeccably built phone over a plastic-y, cheap feeling Samsung? Sined was actually correct when he referred to Samsungs as being fragile feeling when I was contemplating buying the Note.

Apple fanboys who "can't understand" why someone would want an Android phone have now been equaled or surpassed by Android fanboys spouting the opposite.

The 5 is the best made phone (in terms of build quality) on the market right now. HTC has narrowed the gap considerably. And this is a very important aspect to a lot of people when purchasing a phone. I'm sincerely hoping Samsung catches up with Apple and HTC in that regard, because I'd consider buying the GS4 if it didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.
That's iPhone in a nutshell. "Some don't want or need" all of the benefits that Android/Samsung phones offer. It's a fair statement.

My wife needs only phone/text/FB/Pinterest, and to throw some music on it once in a while from the computer. iPhone is perfect for her.

Though the times that she wishes she had a bigger/removable battery, music editing capabilities, more storage, torrent downloading, live wallpaper, widgets, USB OTG connectivity, HDMI-out, etc. do seem to happen more frequently as of late.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 06:53 AM
  #584
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
That's iPhone in a nutshell. "Some don't want or need" all of the benefits that Android/Samsung phones offer. It's a fair statement.

My wife needs only phone/text/FB/Pinterest, and to throw some music on it once in a while from the computer. iPhone is perfect for her.

Though the times that she wishes she had a bigger/removable battery, music editing capabilities, more storage, torrent downloading, live wallpaper, widgets, USB OTG connectivity, HDMI-out, etc. do seem to happen more frequently as of late.
Well... more money was really my point, but there's that too.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 08:12 AM
  #585
TomPlex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
Sent from my Nexus 4.

You're all jelly.

TomPlex is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
  #586
McSorleyStick
GIJON !
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 17,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Sent from my Nexus 4.

You're all jelly.
Ive been Jelly for a few days now

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
  #587
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Shameless plug for my LG Optimus G review.
http://www.androidbugle.com/2012/12/...-g-review.html

Really nice phone. If I liked the Optimus G this much I can't wait to try out the Nexus 4.

Sined is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
  #588
McSorleyStick
GIJON !
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 17,023
vCash: 500
Acer smartphone ?

http://www.androidauthority.com/acer...ements-141312/

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM
  #589
CloudReader
Registered User
 
CloudReader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
I find complaints about Samsung build quality overblown. Some tech sites (The Verge) love to push that opinion, which is reinforced by those horrible in-store display demos -empty plastic shells that in no way reflect the real feel of the device.

My Nexus 4 arrived yesterday. Its build quality is universally praised by reviewers. Yet between the N4 and my friend's GSIII, I wouldn't consider the feel of the device to be a deal-breaker at all. Both still feel inferior to an iPhone 5 though, but that probably has something to do with how light the devices are compared to their sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Shameless plug for my LG Optimus G review.
http://www.androidbugle.com/2012/12/...-g-review.html
This is the first time I see a review done so close to where I live lol.


Last edited by CloudReader: 12-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
CloudReader is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
  #590
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,643
vCash: 500
Still wish there was a CDMA version (eventually) of the Nexus 4. But I understand why there isn't one (GSM is WAY more widespread and 3G is easily the most common data technology).

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 02:27 PM
  #591
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, if I were to still go to the point where I would upgrade my phone and lose my unlimited data (and go for something like a 4GB shared data over 3 phones a month), should I go for the DNA or the Note 2?
Hopefully somebody can answer this question cause I'm curious, too. I think the Note 2 is the best phone on the market at this time, but I haven't used the Droid DNA yet. I'd love to hear someone's opinion who have used both. I know the DNA has an amazing screen so I'd love to hear people's opinions.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
  #592
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
That's iPhone in a nutshell. "Some don't want or need" all of the benefits that Android/Samsung phones offer. It's a fair statement.

My wife needs only phone/text/FB/Pinterest, and to throw some music on it once in a while from the computer. iPhone is perfect for her.

Though the times that she wishes she had a bigger/removable battery, music editing capabilities, more storage, torrent downloading, live wallpaper, widgets, USB OTG connectivity, HDMI-out, etc. do seem to happen more frequently as of late.
Because once a person realizes that there's more you can do with a phone than what Apple allows, you want to have those features. However, if you never know of the existence of those features, then it's all fine. Ignorance is bliss. It's only once you've experienced it, it's tough to go back.

I feel this way about Nexus phones now. I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Nexus phone after having one.

Stories is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 04:26 PM
  #593
Psycho Dad
Registered User
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 11,122
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Well... more money was really my point, but there's that too.
The higher price for the phone is only the start. Cables, adapters, nearly every accessory Apple sells is overpriced and of poor build.

I feel like Homer in the Flaming Moe episode, yelling, trying to tell Moe "You just lost yourself a customer!". Oh well.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
  #594
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,643
vCash: 500
Even with the tabs covering the ports, it's ******* sexy.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12...-rear-shooter/

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
  #595
Gonzothe7thDman
Registered User
 
Gonzothe7thDman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bridgewater, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 5,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Hopefully somebody can answer this question cause I'm curious, too. I think the Note 2 is the best phone on the market at this time, but I haven't used the Droid DNA yet. I'd love to hear someone's opinion who have used both. I know the DNA has an amazing screen so I'd love to hear people's opinions.
DNA over the note 2 imo. Screen quality is outstanding. And the note 2 is just too big. But that's just my preference

Gonzothe7thDman is online now  
Old
12-19-2012, 07:40 PM
  #596
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central Coast CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
DNA over the note 2 imo. Screen quality is outstanding. And the note 2 is just too big. But that's just my preference
For me, going from a Droid X to the DNA has been almost unnoticeable in terms of how it feels in the hand. It's longer, but only slightly wider. This sucker is thin, too. The screen is something to behold. I'm not fibbing when I say that a few coworkers with the iPhone 5 were impressed with it (wallpapers and Angry Birds SW, at least).

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 09:19 PM
  #597
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Even with the tabs covering the ports, it's ******* sexy.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12...-rear-shooter/
That looks awesome. I wish it had weight/thinness specs, along with battery specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
DNA over the note 2 imo. Screen quality is outstanding. And the note 2 is just too big. But that's just my preference
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
For me, going from a Droid X to the DNA has been almost unnoticeable in terms of how it feels in the hand. It's longer, but only slightly wider. This sucker is thin, too. The screen is something to behold. I'm not fibbing when I say that a few coworkers with the iPhone 5 were impressed with it (wallpapers and Angry Birds SW, at least).
Thanks guys. I've heard amazing things about the Droid DNA's screen, but I haven't been able to see it in person (being from Canada). Is it going to come out on any other carriers?

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 09:44 PM
  #598
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Thanks guys. I've heard amazing things about the Droid DNA's screen, but I haven't been able to see it in person (being from Canada). Is it going to come out on any other carriers?
It doesn't look like it.

Also, I want to point out that the Galaxy Note II has insanely good battery life. Also it's available on every major carrier in Canada.

(I do wish the DNA/Butterfly would come to Canada though)

Sined is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 01:22 AM
  #599
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,300
vCash: 50
Got the S3 today. Neat phone, I quite like it. I'll still keep my Nexus and just use it when I travel. I won't bother getting the S3 unlocked or rooting it for the time being.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
  #600
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
It doesn't look like it.

Also, I want to point out that the Galaxy Note II has insanely good battery life. Also it's available on every major carrier in Canada.

(I do wish the DNA/Butterfly would come to Canada though)


I ran 5 hours of straight youtube on mine (HSPA+ though, not LTE) and still had over 60% battery.

My old desire z would have been dead 2 hours in.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.