HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 02:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Got the Nexus 7 32GB today for my B-Day !

Old
12-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

SaskTel has some pretty sweet deals for phones right now. iPhone 5 for $79, SGS3 for $0, and the Note 2 for $50 on 3-year contracts.

Looks like I'm getting a Note 2 tomorrow.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post

I ran 5 hours of straight youtube on mine (HSPA+ though, not LTE) and still had over 60% battery.

My old desire z would have been dead 2 hours in.
Awesome to have a phone where you can leave the charger at home every single day.

Try multitasking on it. I was downloading several torrents, watching Louie on the pop-up window, and either surfing the web or retagging mp3s at the same time. Battery didn't even wince.

Really hoping for a better Note 10.1 tablet next year, one that lives up to this beauty's standard.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
It doesn't look like it.

Also, I want to point out that the Galaxy Note II has insanely good battery life. Also it's available on every major carrier in Canada.

(I do wish the DNA/Butterfly would come to Canada though)
I'm actually really surprised from what I've read about the battery. Yeah, I know the battery is huge. But I figured with the multitasking capabilities, screen size, processor, etc. it would be a huge battery hog and the battery would be average. I wish I had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
SaskTel has some pretty sweet deals for phones right now. iPhone 5 for $79, SGS3 for $0, and the Note 2 for $50 on 3-year contracts.

Lucky.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:46 AM
KISSland

Quote:

Don't you already have a nexus 4?

Here I am with a Nexus S... life.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Don't you already have a nexus 4?

Here I am with a Nexus S... life.
Not yet, order still hasn't shipped and I ordered back on Dec. 3rd. I'll probably either cancel the order or sell it when I get. I just don't want to wait anymore for a phone and the battery life issues of the N4 worry me.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Note 2 is now $50 @ Bell... should be at Telus and Rogers as well I would think.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Anyone else excited about the Motorola "X Phone"?

I love Moto's build quality, so if they can make a phone that rivals the iPhone in build quality and specs . . . It should put Moto back on the map.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:11 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

I love Moto's build quality, so if they can make a phone that rivals the iPhone in build quality and specs . . . It should put Moto back on the map.
Have they released any specs, other than it will have Google's fingerprints on it?

As for the build quality, when I played around with something like the Razr, I thought it was nice, but I thought the biggest complaint with Moto, were the lack of updates. I wouldn't want to buy into a phone, and then worry about getting updates months after other phones get them, or possibly never.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Dave
º

Has anyone bought a Nexus7 and had it shipped to Canada? Wondering how much shipping fees were.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Has anyone bought a Nexus7 and had it shipped to Canada? Wondering how much shipping fees were.
Shipping: $16.99
Ordered on Dec 14, arrived on Dec 20.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Not yet, order still hasn't shipped and I ordered back on Dec. 3rd. I'll probably either cancel the order or sell it when I get. I just don't want to wait anymore for a phone and the battery life issues of the N4 worry me.
Battery issues? And my bad didn't know.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:35 PM
KISSland

Brp got me a replacement battery and repaired the volume on my HTC goiimg to sell it for 100-120. Going to sodder this phone and replace the port. Should be able to flip for 120+

Hopefully I'll have enough for the n4, but need to check on that battery problem since that'some of my main concern.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Have they released any specs, other than it will have Google's fingerprints on it?

As for the build quality, when I played around with something like the Razr, I thought it was nice, but I thought the biggest complaint with Moto, were the lack of updates. I wouldn't want to buy into a phone, and then worry about getting updates months after other phones get them, or possibly never.
No specs at all yet. I'm assuming it'll come out near the summer, so specs in a few months.

And yeah, the lack of updates is a bummer. But if Moto goes with vanilla Android, you'd get updates ASAP.

So if they can combine vanilla Android with typical great Moto build quality? Likely my next phone. Going after the GSIII and the iPhone 5, so I assume the build quality will be closer to Apple than the crappy GSIII.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
KISSland

Nexus 4 btterly life horrible - major drainage.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-drainage.html

Old
12-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Best Buy will have the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II and the HTC One X+ all for $0 on Boxing Day (or tomorrow night at 8PM online).

Old
12-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Best Buy will have the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II and the HTC One X+ all for $0 on Boxing Day (or tomorrow night at 8PM online).
Can you even activate a new line on contract online? I don't think you can. I believe you'd have to go in store.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

One site had rumors it'd have a flexible display inside a ceramic case (so the phone wouldn't be flexible but the screen wouldn't break under pressure of it being dropped). I doubt the accuracy of that somewhat because ceramic tends to shatter, where a polycarbonate phone with a flexible display would just bend a bit and bounce back to shape after impact - still, it's a good principle: using a flexible display not to make a flexible phone but to make an unbreakable phone.

If that's true and they make it a reasonable screen size, they might have the top selling phone next year. I fully believe that the iphone is the most attractive phone for new smartphone users not because there's anything inherently intuitive about iOS but because they're coming from phones with 2" screen and the iphone screen looks gigantic enough already. I also believe people who have an Android or iphone are unlikely to switch so the new users are the final battleground. If Google has any direct say in it and it's unclear they actually do (so as to not spoil relationships with other manufacturers), it'd be interesting to see if they'd build a smaller, more premium feeling phone to win over those customers. Even if a smaller Android phone isn't something I'd buy, you can easily make the case that the 4.7"+ Android market is already saturated by flagship phones while the <4.7" Android market is barren of highend devices.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:31 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Hope it comes around by the time I can update . I know I always bring it up, but it would be damn awesome.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
One site had rumors it'd have a flexible display inside a ceramic case (so the phone wouldn't be flexible but the screen wouldn't break under pressure of it being dropped). I doubt the accuracy of that somewhat because ceramic tends to shatter, where a polycarbonate phone with a flexible display would just bend a bit and bounce back to shape after impact - still, it's a good principle: using a flexible display not to make a flexible phone but to make an unbreakable phone.

If that's true and they make it a reasonable screen size, they might have the top selling phone next year. I fully believe that the iphone is the most attractive phone for new smartphone users not because there's anything inherently intuitive about iOS but because they're coming from phones with 2" screen and the iphone screen looks gigantic enough already. I also believe people who have an Android or iphone are unlikely to switch so the new users are the final battleground. If Google has any direct say in it and it's unclear they actually do (so as to not spoil relationships with other manufacturers), it'd be interesting to see if they'd build a smaller, more premium feeling phone to win over those customers. Even if a smaller Android phone isn't something I'd buy, you can easily make the case that the 4.7"+ Android market is already saturated by flagship phones while the <4.7" Android market is barren of highend devices.
Engadget pretty much ruled out flexible and ceramic.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Can you even activate a new line on contract online? I don't think you can. I believe you'd have to go in store.
Nah, probably not. I forgot about this. The entire Boxing Day sales start at 8PM on Christmas Eve online. But you'd obviously need to go into a store on Boxing Day to get the phone.

Old
12-24-2012, 08:53 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Looks like HTC is finally rolling out JB on the One X and S in North America

Too bad I didnt wait for them and rooted/flashed a JB rom

**** them

Old
12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Nexus 4 btterly life horrible - major drainage.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-drainage.html
Yeah that's what I was talking about. ~3 hrs of screen time is pretty bad. Don't really regret cancelling my order on it.

Loving my Note 2 right now. So much better in every way than my old Galaxy S. Yeah, it's big, but I don't think I could go back to a sub-5'' phone after this.

Last edited by Bruins4Lifer: 12-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Looks like HTC is finally rolling out JB on the One X and S in North America
Where did you read this?

Old
12-24-2012, 10:36 AM
McSorleyStick