HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2012, 02:08 PM
  #601
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,263
vCash: 500
Got the Nexus 7 32GB today for my B-Day !

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 03:48 PM
  #602
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bruins4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,926
vCash: 500
SaskTel has some pretty sweet deals for phones right now. iPhone 5 for $79, SGS3 for $0, and the Note 2 for $50 on 3-year contracts.

Looks like I'm getting a Note 2 tomorrow.

__________________

Bruins4Lifer is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
  #603
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,568
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post


I ran 5 hours of straight youtube on mine (HSPA+ though, not LTE) and still had over 60% battery.

My old desire z would have been dead 2 hours in.
Awesome to have a phone where you can leave the charger at home every single day.

Try multitasking on it. I was downloading several torrents, watching Louie on the pop-up window, and either surfing the web or retagging mp3s at the same time. Battery didn't even wince.

Really hoping for a better Note 10.1 tablet next year, one that lives up to this beauty's standard.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
  #604
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
It doesn't look like it.

Also, I want to point out that the Galaxy Note II has insanely good battery life. Also it's available on every major carrier in Canada.

(I do wish the DNA/Butterfly would come to Canada though)
I'm actually really surprised from what I've read about the battery. Yeah, I know the battery is huge. But I figured with the multitasking capabilities, screen size, processor, etc. it would be a huge battery hog and the battery would be average. I wish I had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
SaskTel has some pretty sweet deals for phones right now. iPhone 5 for $79, SGS3 for $0, and the Note 2 for $50 on 3-year contracts.

Looks like I'm getting a Note 2 tomorrow.
Lucky.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 12:46 AM
  #605
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
SaskTel has some pretty sweet deals for phones right now. iPhone 5 for $79, SGS3 for $0, and the Note 2 for $50 on 3-year contracts.

Looks like I'm getting a Note 2 tomorrow.
Don't you already have a nexus 4?

Here I am with a Nexus S... life.

KISSland is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
  #606
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bruins4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Don't you already have a nexus 4?

Here I am with a Nexus S... life.
Not yet, order still hasn't shipped and I ordered back on Dec. 3rd. I'll probably either cancel the order or sell it when I get. I just don't want to wait anymore for a phone and the battery life issues of the N4 worry me.

Bruins4Lifer is offline  
Old
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
  #607
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,060
vCash: 500
Note 2 is now $50 @ Bell... should be at Telus and Rogers as well I would think.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  #608
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 73,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Anyone else excited about the Motorola "X Phone"?

I love Moto's build quality, so if they can make a phone that rivals the iPhone in build quality and specs . . . It should put Moto back on the map.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:11 PM
  #609
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Anyone else excited about the Motorola "X Phone"?

I love Moto's build quality, so if they can make a phone that rivals the iPhone in build quality and specs . . . It should put Moto back on the map.
Have they released any specs, other than it will have Google's fingerprints on it?

As for the build quality, when I played around with something like the Razr, I thought it was nice, but I thought the biggest complaint with Moto, were the lack of updates. I wouldn't want to buy into a phone, and then worry about getting updates months after other phones get them, or possibly never.

guinness is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:59 PM
  #610
Dave
º
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
Has anyone bought a Nexus7 and had it shipped to Canada? Wondering how much shipping fees were.

Dave is online now  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
  #611
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Has anyone bought a Nexus7 and had it shipped to Canada? Wondering how much shipping fees were.
Shipping: $16.99
Ordered on Dec 14, arrived on Dec 20.

pine* is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
  #612
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
Not yet, order still hasn't shipped and I ordered back on Dec. 3rd. I'll probably either cancel the order or sell it when I get. I just don't want to wait anymore for a phone and the battery life issues of the N4 worry me.
Battery issues? And my bad didn't know.

KISSland is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 05:35 PM
  #613
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Brp got me a replacement battery and repaired the volume on my HTC goiimg to sell it for 100-120. Going to sodder this phone and replace the port. Should be able to flip for 120+

Hopefully I'll have enough for the n4, but need to check on that battery problem since that'some of my main concern.

KISSland is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
  #614
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 73,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Have they released any specs, other than it will have Google's fingerprints on it?

As for the build quality, when I played around with something like the Razr, I thought it was nice, but I thought the biggest complaint with Moto, were the lack of updates. I wouldn't want to buy into a phone, and then worry about getting updates months after other phones get them, or possibly never.
No specs at all yet. I'm assuming it'll come out near the summer, so specs in a few months.

And yeah, the lack of updates is a bummer. But if Moto goes with vanilla Android, you'd get updates ASAP.

So if they can combine vanilla Android with typical great Moto build quality? Likely my next phone. Going after the GSIII and the iPhone 5, so I assume the build quality will be closer to Apple than the crappy GSIII.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
  #615
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Nexus 4 btterly life horrible - major drainage.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-drainage.html

KISSland is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 07:35 AM
  #616
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Best Buy will have the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II and the HTC One X+ all for $0 on Boxing Day (or tomorrow night at 8PM online).

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 11:07 AM
  #617
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Best Buy will have the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II and the HTC One X+ all for $0 on Boxing Day (or tomorrow night at 8PM online).
Can you even activate a new line on contract online? I don't think you can. I believe you'd have to go in store.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
  #618
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greater Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Anyone else excited about the Motorola "X Phone"?

I love Moto's build quality, so if they can make a phone that rivals the iPhone in build quality and specs . . . It should put Moto back on the map.
One site had rumors it'd have a flexible display inside a ceramic case (so the phone wouldn't be flexible but the screen wouldn't break under pressure of it being dropped). I doubt the accuracy of that somewhat because ceramic tends to shatter, where a polycarbonate phone with a flexible display would just bend a bit and bounce back to shape after impact - still, it's a good principle: using a flexible display not to make a flexible phone but to make an unbreakable phone.

If that's true and they make it a reasonable screen size, they might have the top selling phone next year. I fully believe that the iphone is the most attractive phone for new smartphone users not because there's anything inherently intuitive about iOS but because they're coming from phones with 2" screen and the iphone screen looks gigantic enough already. I also believe people who have an Android or iphone are unlikely to switch so the new users are the final battleground. If Google has any direct say in it and it's unclear they actually do (so as to not spoil relationships with other manufacturers), it'd be interesting to see if they'd build a smaller, more premium feeling phone to win over those customers. Even if a smaller Android phone isn't something I'd buy, you can easily make the case that the 4.7"+ Android market is already saturated by flagship phones while the <4.7" Android market is barren of highend devices.

vBurmi is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 11:31 AM
  #619
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,263
vCash: 500
Hope it comes around by the time I can update . I know I always bring it up, but it would be damn awesome.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
  #620
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 73,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
One site had rumors it'd have a flexible display inside a ceramic case (so the phone wouldn't be flexible but the screen wouldn't break under pressure of it being dropped). I doubt the accuracy of that somewhat because ceramic tends to shatter, where a polycarbonate phone with a flexible display would just bend a bit and bounce back to shape after impact - still, it's a good principle: using a flexible display not to make a flexible phone but to make an unbreakable phone.

If that's true and they make it a reasonable screen size, they might have the top selling phone next year. I fully believe that the iphone is the most attractive phone for new smartphone users not because there's anything inherently intuitive about iOS but because they're coming from phones with 2" screen and the iphone screen looks gigantic enough already. I also believe people who have an Android or iphone are unlikely to switch so the new users are the final battleground. If Google has any direct say in it and it's unclear they actually do (so as to not spoil relationships with other manufacturers), it'd be interesting to see if they'd build a smaller, more premium feeling phone to win over those customers. Even if a smaller Android phone isn't something I'd buy, you can easily make the case that the 4.7"+ Android market is already saturated by flagship phones while the <4.7" Android market is barren of highend devices.
Engadget pretty much ruled out flexible and ceramic.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 12:11 AM
  #621
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Can you even activate a new line on contract online? I don't think you can. I believe you'd have to go in store.
Nah, probably not. I forgot about this. The entire Boxing Day sales start at 8PM on Christmas Eve online. But you'd obviously need to go into a store on Boxing Day to get the phone.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 08:53 AM
  #622
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 14,916
vCash: 500
Looks like HTC is finally rolling out JB on the One X and S in North America


Too bad I didnt wait for them and rooted/flashed a JB rom

**** them

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
  #623
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bruins4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Nexus 4 btterly life horrible - major drainage.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-drainage.html
Yeah that's what I was talking about. ~3 hrs of screen time is pretty bad. Don't really regret cancelling my order on it.

Loving my Note 2 right now. So much better in every way than my old Galaxy S. Yeah, it's big, but I don't think I could go back to a sub-5'' phone after this.


Last edited by Bruins4Lifer: 12-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Bruins4Lifer is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 10:07 AM
  #624
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Looks like HTC is finally rolling out JB on the One X and S in North America
Where did you read this?

Sined is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 10:36 AM
  #625
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 14,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Where did you read this?
Or it was in Europe I guess

McSorleyStick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.