HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
Yeah that's what I was talking about. ~3 hrs of screen time is pretty bad. Don't really regret cancelling my order on it.

Loving my Note 2 right now. So much better in every way than my old Galaxy S. Yeah, it's big, but I don't think I could go back to a sub-5'' phone after this.
Quit gloating. I went with Virgin mobile, so I can't upgrade to the Note 2 because they don't carry it. I love my SGS II but I want me some Note.

12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Loving my Note 2 right now. So much better in every way than my old Galaxy S. Yeah, it's big, but I don't think I could go back to a sub-5'' phone after this.
I went from an S to a Note II as well (with a iPhone 4S in between). It's like going from a hatchback (to a Honda Civic, great car for most) to a truck. Yeah it's big, but it can do everything.

I'm amused by the people online who say "eww, plastic" or "migod itsobig how could you make a call in public how embarrassing". To each their own, but this thing hits the bullseye in every way for me.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:25 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
I saw the note 2 the other dayat my friends work. I checked it out just to see how it works and all, I liked it a lot, but it's way too big for me. I'm only 5'8. The thing next to my head makes me look like I'm stuck in the 80s.

My friend(who works at the store,) picked it up and put it next to his ear, and said "Look I'm a ********," while there was a couple looking to buy a pair of em. Idiot.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:36 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

HTC S owners who just got official JB (Europe) are reporting a bunch of bugs.

Thanks God for XDA Developers

Old
12-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I went from an S to a Note II as well (with a iPhone 4S in between). It's like going from a hatchback (to a Honda Civic, great car for most) to a truck. Yeah it's big, but it can do everything.

I'm amused by the people online who say "eww, plastic" or "migod itsobig how could you make a call in public how embarrassing". To each their own, but this thing hits the bullseye in every way for me.
Yeah I got a white one, and I think it looks and feels great. No issues with the build quality.

All it would take is Apple to release a 5''+ iPhone and no one would talk about how ridiculous they think it looks.

12-24-2012, 04:37 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Yeah I got a white one, and I think it looks and feels great. No issues with the build quality.

All it would take is Apple to release a 5''+ iPhone and no one would talk about how ridiculous they think it looks.
Really enjoy Note 2 also.

Battery life is killer, screen is killer, speed is great, pen is incredibly usefull for certain things.

Not much I can complain about frankly.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:46 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:

That's really not true. I wouldn't buy one unless it was 5" on the nose. That is the max I would ever buy. Anything above that is unwieldy. And I don't have tiny hands. 5.5" is just ridiculous for a phone.

Hoping the Motorola X phone is a 5" 1080p phone.

Old
12-25-2012, 03:12 AM
ZenMaster*

Just got a Motorola Razr HD a 6 hours ago, been tweaking it ever since.

This is the best phone I have ever owned. Im surprised this doesn't get as much hype as the iPhone or Galaxy S3. The Razr has the best battery life out of the aforementioned phones with exceptional build quality (kevlar, glass, and metal).

Old
12-25-2012, 09:32 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hoping the Motorola X phone is a 5" 1080p phone.
Why? Every flagship Android phone next year will be 5" 1080p. You hope there's 5+ phones with nearly identical specs? I'd love to see some variety in the high-end offerings for a change; some interesting designs, new materials and most of all, not every manufacturer trying to see how big they can make phones.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Why? Every flagship Android phone next year will be 5" 1080p. You hope there's 5+ phones with nearly identical specs? I'd love to see some variety in the high-end offerings for a change; some interesting designs, new materials and most of all, not every manufacturer trying to see how big they can make phones.
I know HTC will be trying to go smaller which I'm excited to see.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3...-cpo-interview

Quote:
Kodera agrees that we’ve more or less hit a ceiling with 5-inch screens, but that’s no reason to think image quality will stand still. "We’re going to see smaller displays that are capable of that resolution, so pixel density is going to keep going up."

Old
12-25-2012, 08:00 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Identical specs? Based on what? Not many phones will have the build quality of a Motorola phone. And, no offense, but what variety? These are phones. You don't need that much variety. If Motorola can make a phone with similar internals to the SGIII but make the build-quality equal or near to Apple then how is that not a great thing?

4-5" is going to be the sweet spot for phones, I would say. Somewhere in that vicinity. Lower isn't good and bigger isn't all that good.

Bring the PPI up and it will kill.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:12 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Identical specs? Based on what? Not many phones will have the build quality of a Motorola phone. And, no offense, but what variety? These are phones. You don't need that much variety. If Motorola can make a phone with similar internals to the SGIII but make the build-quality equal or near to Apple then how is that not a great thing?

4-5" is going to be the sweet spot for phones, I would say. Somewhere in that vicinity. Lower isn't good and bigger isn't all that good.

Bring the PPI up and it will kill.
I bet we'll see 5", 1080p, 1.5-1.7GHz quad-core, 2GB RAM, 16/32GB flagship offerings from Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and Motorola in the spring - completely speculation but I'd like to hear an argument pointing to one of them going against this. Just the same way the current flagship devices from each of those brands are largely interchangeable (and the "build quality" argument clearly falls apart when you consider the success of the S3 versus all the others combined).

Variety, as I mentioned, could easily be found in screen size. Scaling back any other spec would just be seen as a mid-tier offering but top of the line specs with a more widely acceptable screen size would easily differentiate any of those companies from the Samsung offering (which will likely kill all the others). I agree completely with your range of 4"-5", my point is that high-end Android at the moment seems entirely targeted to one single point in that range. Also consider the speculation that of those companies only Samsung and HTC (for now) are profiting off Android this year - these companies should be trying to do something different to shake things up and build a brand.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

So I have an Asus Transformer tablet, what apps should I be downloading (free)

Old
12-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Tablet Information:
(shamelessly stolen from XDA Eee Pad Transformer Forums but can be applied to most Android Tablets)

Software/Apps/Games Info:
Official Google list of countries supported for Android Market app installs/development (Market workaround details HERE)
List of compatible apps/games/etc
Office apps comparison thread
Game Emulator roms compatibility
Interesting apps to try out/show off your nice new device

Another Comprehensive list of Apps Optimized for Tablets

http://androidcommunity.com/happy-ho...blet-20121225/

Old
12-26-2012, 12:12 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
I bet we'll see 5", 1080p, 1.5-1.7GHz quad-core, 2GB RAM, 16/32GB flagship offerings from Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and Motorola in the spring - completely speculation but I'd like to hear an argument pointing to one of them going against this. Just the same way the current flagship devices from each of those brands are largely interchangeable (and the "build quality" argument clearly falls apart when you consider the success of the S3 versus all the others combined).

Variety, as I mentioned, could easily be found in screen size. Scaling back any other spec would just be seen as a mid-tier offering but top of the line specs with a more widely acceptable screen size would easily differentiate any of those companies from the Samsung offering (which will likely kill all the others). I agree completely with your range of 4"-5", my point is that high-end Android at the moment seems entirely targeted to one single point in that range. Also consider the speculation that of those companies only Samsung and HTC (for now) are profiting off Android this year - these companies should be trying to do something different to shake things up and build a brand.
Well, not everyone LOOKS for build quality (as can be seen in the GSIII sales). With that said, even the people I know with them wish that they weren't as fragile. Samsung also ran an amazing ad campaign where the other makers simply can't afford to do that. So it's a bit unfair to compare Samsung's success with other Android phones. The advertising blitz they did paid off. It also could've backfired. But the phones are nice devices for sure (I'd own one today if it wasn't so cheap feeling).

And also keep in mind -- not everyone looks to build quality as their killer feature. I do because I use my phone constantly for work email, school email, etc. It gets dropped and needs to NOT be fragile (one of the reasons I have always loved Moto phones -- they can take a ****ing beating). The business class also wants a high build quality phone (look at how well Blackberry did and now Apple is taking over that category and leaving Android in the dust).

If Moto can make a phone with the build quality they are known for that is a true flagship device (will compete with the 5S and the GSIV), then they will sell a boatload.

I don't see much of a reason to really worry about .1 or .2 inches on the screen size for variety. The variety should be making the bezel smaller, the battery thinner, the housing thinner, etc. The size of the screen itself doesn't mean all THAT much to me as long as it is in the 4-5" range.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:48 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
If Moto can make a phone with the build quality they are known for that is a true flagship device (will compete with the 5S and the GSIV), then they will sell a boatload.

I don't see much of a reason to really worry about .1 or .2 inches on the screen size for variety. The variety should be making the bezel smaller, the battery thinner, the housing thinner, etc. The size of the screen itself doesn't mean all THAT much to me as long as it is in the 4-5" range.
They already have built that device, Motorola Razr HD, the build quality feels like im holding a thin brick. No plastic at all, everything is made out of metal, kevlar, and glass. Not to mention the best battery life of any android not named Razr Maxx hd.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:31 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
They already have built that device, Motorola Razr HD, the build quality feels like im holding a thin brick. No plastic at all, everything is made out of metal, kevlar, and glass. Not to mention the best battery life of any android not named Razr Maxx hd.
It's a nice phone, but it's not a flagship device.

Why do you think Moto is planning on building a flagship device? They don't have one right now.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Any idea when the X Phone should be out?

Old
12-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
It's a nice phone, but it's not a flagship device.

Why do you think Moto is planning on building a flagship device? They don't have one right now.
Actually, after spending time with the RAZR HD LTE, I think it's a very underrated phone.

Performance was snappy, LTE speeds were fast, build quality was solid (like run it over with a car solid), battery life was spectacular. My only gripe was its camera to be honest. Some might think the phone is ugly but that's pretty subjective.

The only argument I can see as to why it isn't a flagship device is that it was a bit late to the party sort of speak (considering it's specs).

LG's Optimus G was late but brought insanely powerful hardware to compensate.

So yeah. I consider the RAZR HD LTE to be a flagship, albeit one that I expect will do moderately in sales but won't be a barn burner.

I do however think that people who will take a chance on the RAZR HD LTE will have a lot to like.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:19 PM
SoulPatch

My only issue with Motorola phones is the lack of updates/promised updates. I was very dissapointed when Motorola announced that ICS would be released for the Atrix in the fall, and then pulled out last second. Especially when other similar phones had ICS released for them prior. I won't be going the Motorola route anytime soon.

As for tablers, I'm looking to buy a 10inch highend android tablet. I really want the Nexus 10, but it appears to be MIA in Canada and no word on when more will be released. I see that the Nexus 4 is receiving the same treatment and I'm left to wonder wtf Google is thinking making these items scarce/not anticipating the demand. How can a flagship phone or tablet be advertised/released and then be sold-out immediately for weeks/months.

So now my options are to, a) wait it out, or b) purchase the 2nd best option (transformer pad infinity t700)?

Any recommendations? I was close to purchasing the transformer but I'm a bit discurraged by some of the reviews. Apparently the 1gb RAM causes delays in the web browsing? Sined I know you've had an older transformer prime, any comments on your ASUS experience?

I haven't really looked into it, but If I do choose to wait it out for the Nexus 10, does Google release some every month? Or am I due for a long wait here?

Old
12-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
My only issue with Motorola phones is the lack of updates/promised updates. I was very dissapointed when Motorola announced that ICS would be released for the Atrix in the fall, and then pulled out last second. Especially when other similar phones had ICS released for them prior. I won't be going the Motorola route anytime soon.
I understand your frustration. My own Tegra 2 device (ASUS Transformer) got ICS but a less than optimal build of it. A few bugs, but mostly stable just not very snappy.

I have a feeling it's the Tegra 2 just not being a very good SoC.

Quote:
As for tablers, I'm looking to buy a 10inch highend android tablet. I really want the Nexus 10, but it appears to be MIA in Canada and no word on when more will be released. I see that the Nexus 4 is receiving the same treatment and I'm left to wonder wtf Google is thinking making these items scarce/not anticipating the demand. How can a flagship phone or tablet be advertised/released and then be sold-out immediately for weeks/months.
Yeah, this was a bit of a head scratcher. Now imaging hurricane Sandy didn't derail their product unveiling. There would be even more hype behind the device.

Quote:
So now my options are to, a) wait it out, or b) purchase the 2nd best option (transformer pad infinity t700)?

Any recommendations? I was close to purchasing the transformer but I'm a bit discurraged by some of the reviews. Apparently the 1gb RAM causes delays in the web browsing? Sined I know you've had an older transformer prime, any comments on your ASUS experience?

I haven't really looked into it, but If I do choose to wait it out for the Nexus 10, does Google release some every month? Or am I due for a long wait here?
The Infinity seems like a good tablet on paper and my experience with ASUS' original Transformer TF101 (not prime) was pretty good. As far as I know the Inifinity basically fixed what little was wrong about the Transformer Prime TF201.

Updates for bugs were pushed out relatively quickly for the TF101, and firmware updates to the latest versions were relatively speedy (for a non-nexus device).

And the developer community for the device is relatively strong (I'm running CyanogenMod 10 on it)

The Nexus 10, however, is a better long term bet for official updates (as that seems important to you), so I'd recommend waiting.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

So this is a dumb question, but I've always used iTunes because of having an iPod, but now I want to be able to sync all my media from iTunes to my Asus tablet, whats the best way of doing this? Is there a new media library program I should download? I want to be able to keep all the artwork, ratings and data I've created in my iTunes library and just sync it ideally, or import that info into a new program from which I can sync and control it. Whats the best way of doing this?

Old
12-26-2012, 08:56 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
So this is a dumb question, but I've always used iTunes because of having an iPod, but now I want to be able to sync all my media from iTunes to my Asus tablet, whats the best way of doing this? Is there a new media library program I should download? I want to be able to keep all the artwork, ratings and data I've created in my iTunes library and just sync it ideally, or import that info into a new program from which I can sync and control it. Whats the best way of doing this?
You can try "doubletwist" to transfer from Itunes to Android devices.

I don't know about the settings and all all that.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
You can try "doubletwist" to transfer from Itunes to Android devices.

I don't know about the settings and all all that.
downloading now, will see how this goes

Old
12-26-2012, 09:23 PM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

hey guys I'm having problems tethering my new phone (HTC Rezound)...none of the apps I dl'd worked including foxfi....Foxfi worked on my old samsung phone, and I still have the same carrier....

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't think my phone is rooted....Do I have to root it ? And what does that mean ? thanks

Or if anyone knows of a wifi app that would work too.

Closed Thread