HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
So this is a dumb question, but I've always used iTunes because of having an iPod, but now I want to be able to sync all my media from iTunes to my Asus tablet, whats the best way of doing this? Is there a new media library program I should download? I want to be able to keep all the artwork, ratings and data I've created in my iTunes library and just sync it ideally, or import that info into a new program from which I can sync and control it. Whats the best way of doing this?
I just transferred all of my music from my itunes music folder to a 64gb micro sd card. All of the id3 info and a lot of the cover art transfers over, and there are apps that will download missing album art, retag mp3s, or download lyrics for you.

From there you can just add music and retag things on the go. No need to sync ever again. Maybe just copy the directory back to your computer every couple months to keep a backup.

The nice thing about having multiple music apps is that you can point them to different folders. One app can play your regular music library, another can do instrumental/classical music, another for weird stuff (video game soundtracks, I know, lame).

Old
12-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
hey guys I'm having problems tethering my new phone (HTC Rezound)...none of the apps I dl'd worked including foxfi....Foxfi worked on my old samsung phone, and I still have the same carrier....

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't think my phone is rooted....Do I have to root it ? And what does that mean ? thanks

Or if anyone knows of a wifi app that would work too.
Not to sound like a dick, but didn't we already go over this?
Verizon wants their users to buy their stupid add on to legally tether, so they tell manufacturers to lock down bootloaders and patch root exploits.

If you don't want to pay it and go adhoc wifi hotspot you'll probably need to root your phone.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Got the Nexus 7 32GB today for my B-Day !
got one of those for Xmas. pretty cool little device. its my first tablet, btw.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Same here. Fun as hell to use and damn does the battery just last forever.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
So yeah. I consider the RAZR HD LTE to be a flagship, albeit one that I expect will do moderately in sales but won't be a barn burner.
I wouldn't. Moto clearly doesn't consider it one, either, if they are desperate to make this new flagship phone.

It's a nice phone, for sure. Just like the Photon was a year and a half back (I only ditched that phone because they gave up on updating it when they were being purchased).

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
12-27-2012, 03:53 PM
ZenMaster*

It's their current flagship phone, just as the S3 is samsung's current flagship. I'm sure Samsung is working on a S4, it doesn't necessarily mean the S3 isn't their current flagship. Also Motorola/Google have not officially announce anything, the public isn't even aware of an "X Phone" except for the android junkies like you and I.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Same here. Fun as hell to use and damn does the battery just last forever.
the only thing i really don't like about it so far is the ridiculously short charge cable. its basically arms length.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
It's their current flagship phone, just as the S3 is samsung's current flagship. I'm sure Samsung is working on a S4, it doesn't necessarily mean the S3 isn't their current flagship. Also Motorola/Google have not officially announce anything, the public isn't even aware of an "X Phone" except for the android junkies like you and I.
I just don't see it as a flagship device. I think it's a nice higher end Android phone, but nothing about it wowed me other than battery life. And that's coming from a Moto fanboy like myself.

But that's why I'm so excited about the X-Phone. If they can take their great build quality, add SIV / 5s level interior specs, and also a great screen? That will be the single best phone on the market. I really hope that that is the route that they go. I'd pay iPhone-like prices for a phone like that (I have zero problem paying good money for the phone I consider to be the best around). Just has me drooling!!!

Old
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Moto's are great but I, personally, would like Nokia to drop the Windows phones and head to Android.

Love my Note 2 but Nokia can build them some phones.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Moto's are great but I, personally, would like Nokia to drop the Windows phones and head to Android.

Love my Note 2 but Nokia can build them some phones.
For sure. Shame it won't happen.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:05 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
For sure. Shame it won't happen.
*sigh* At least it's better than freaking Symbien.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wouldn't. Moto clearly doesn't consider it one, either, if they are desperate to make this new flagship phone.

It's a nice phone, for sure. Just like the Photon was a year and a half back (I only ditched that phone because they gave up on updating it when they were being purchased).
That's like saying the One X/X+ isn't a flagship, or the S3 isn't a flagship or the Optimus G isn't a flagship because HTC/Samsung/LG are already working on successors for next year.

They aren't desperate because the RAZR HD LTE isn't a flagship, they are desperate because they are becoming more and more irrelevant in the mobile space they basically created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Exactly.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
That's like saying the One X/X+ isn't a flagship, or the S3 isn't a flagship or the Optimus G isn't a flagship because HTC/Samsung/LG are already working on successors for next year.

They aren't desperate because the RAZR HD LTE isn't a flagship, they are desperate because they are becoming more and more irrelevant in the mobile space they basically created.
The S3 IS a flagship because Samsung makes a number of other products and have designated the Galaxy their flagship device. Same with the One/Evo/Whatever. I would say that Moto is not the same. Moto makes a number of similar level products where one is not exponentially above the rest. That's why I would say they need that flagship device. Perhaps I have a "stricter" definition of the word flagship. At this point, we're arguing semantics so we may as well agree to disagree.

I do think we can agree that a Moto flagship phone to compete with the SIV and 5s will be fantastic for the industry.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I see why you would object, but I guess we don't agree on what a flagship is.

For me the biggest factor I've noticed that worked AGAINST Motorola, is that the RAZR HD LTE was incredibly late to launch.

Like it's predecessor the RAZR, it got overshadowed by not only a Nexus device, but a superior flagship phone in the LG Optimus G.

If you were going to be that late to launch you flagship in the calendar year, it better have been for a good reason.
In Motorola's case;
- Was it new hardware like the Quad Core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor? No
- Was it so that it could launch with Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean? No
- Was it so that it could have a crazy 1080p display? No

I mean I could go on, and really if you think about it, had Motorola launched the RAZR HD LTE before the Galaxy S III it might have had a fighting chance.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Shameless plug:
My Motorola RAZR HD LTE Review

Old
12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Funny this topic came up. I just got rid of my s3 for the RAZR maxx HD. Couldn't be happier. Love the build quality so much. GPS had no issues unlike on my s3. Not awkward to hold in my hand like the s3.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Dave

Quote:
What happens to the phones after you're done reviewing?

Old
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
What happens to the phones after you're done reviewing?
I throw them in the pile of phones that I have in my basement.

I send em back to the PR firm that sent them to me.
To be honest if I got to keep the phones I'd probably give them away in contests or something.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Like it's predecessor the RAZR, it got overshadowed by not only a Nexus device, but a superior flagship phone in the LG Optimus G.
Totally agree. I played around with an Optimus G for a bit this week. It's a top-tier phone, solid construction, smooth UI, premium feel. Legit contender to the iPhone, Galaxies and X series phones. Nice to have another strong competitor with its own niche at the top.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
Funny this topic came up. I just got rid of my s3 for the RAZR maxx HD. Couldn't be happier. Love the build quality so much. GPS had no issues unlike on my s3. Not awkward to hold in my hand like the s3.
A friend of mine made the exact same move

He couldnt believe how overrated the S3 was

Samsung has become the Apple of Android; better sales thanks to great marketing, but not better than other Android brands

Old
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
KISSland

When will the Nexus 4 go on sale in Canada. Damn it.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
When will the Nexus 4 go on sale in Canada. Damn it.
Google has been pretty terrible in meeting demand for their products. I kinda want to get a Nexus 10 and they haven't had it available in well over a month.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:52 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
Google has been pretty terrible in meeting demand for their products. I kinda want to get a Nexus 10 and they haven't had it available in well over a month.
I'm in the same position. I was all ready to splurge on a Nexus 10 only to be dissapointed by its unavailableness. Pretty bad supply & demand on Google's part. By the time it's available, I may not be interested or may want something else.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:28 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
Just got my Sennheiser MM55i. Great sound quality but since their optimized for Apple products, the sound is obnoxiously loud on Android for some reason. On my iPod Touch, at the lowest volume setting it's good but on my HTC One V, the lowest volume setting sounds like near max volume for other earphones/headphones.

My question is, is there any app or program that I can download that will lower the volume of my music and stuff without messing up the sound quality too bad? I've tried fiddling around with Equalizers (Though I'm pretty bad) and whenever I get it quieter, I have worse sound quality.

Thanks.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
A friend of mine made the exact same move

He couldnt believe how overrated the S3 was

Samsung has become the Apple of Android; better sales thanks to great marketing, but not better than other Android brands
I sell Verizon wireless products and contracts all day, so I handle phones so often. I haven't been happy with my s3 since day one. It feels so flimsy and cheap. Battery was ok compared to other Androids. But I would always hit the home or back buttons accidentally while holding it horizontally, could never watch a video. Love this maxx HD more than any phone on the market. It was this or the DNA. Glad I went this route.

Closed Thread