HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
CoopALoop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
1. Don't use HTC Sync, that's garbage. Use AirDroid for managing stuff on your phone
2. Try out PowerAmp as a music player, (kinda) has gapless playback and (ironically) a really nice equalizer
3. Customization can be as simple as folders, lockscreen backgrounds, widgets and changing the shortcut on your bottom bar or as advanced as home replacements (like APEX, ADW ,etc)
Thanks for the tips.

I get the basic customization features. Just wanted to know what else was out there to really spice it up. Based on the pictures you linked, it seems like it can be almost endless.

Thanks for the response.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Thanks for the tips.

I get the basic customization features. Just wanted to know what else was out there to really spice it up. Based on the pictures you linked, it seems like it can be almost endless.

Thanks for the response.
Ya you can mod out Android phones like crazy, especially if you root them.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:46 PM
awesomo
HARD!

I'm using a ROM on my nexus right now. It runs the latest jelly bean. But for some it keeps telling me to update the software

Old
01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Yes if it's unlocked.

Where's it from?

If it's a Bell one and you get it unlocked it should work on Koodo which is Telus owned.
What if the phone is bnib? Can i just unlock it myself? And would it egen jeed to he unlocked if its from telus? And thanks for actually replying.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
What if the phone is bnib? Can i just unlock it myself? And would it egen jeed to he unlocked if its from telus? And thanks for actually replying.
There's lots of ways to get unlocked.

You can probably root it to get it unlocked or go through 3rd party places $20-$35? Maybe?

It should run on a Koodo sim if it's from Bell, Telus,Rogers etc. All on same HSPA/LTE bands.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Ya you can mod out Android phones like crazy, especially if you root them.
I've seen the term "root" before, but am not sure what it means.

Any chance of a quick explanation?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Aah rooting HTC phones

What a fun experience

Old
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
SixthSens
RIP Kev

Just called Koodo and managed to get a Galaxy S2 for $130, I'm pretty happy with that.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
KISSland

Quote:
There's lots of ways to get unlocked.

You can probably root it to get it unlocked or go through 3rd party places $20-$35? Maybe?

It should run on a Koodo sim if it's from Bell, Telus,Rogers etc. All on same HSPA/LTE bands.
Thanks. I'm trying to buy one off some guy for $340. Although I really want the benefit of getting updates from the Nexus 4.

Decisions, decisions. =/

Old
01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Just called Koodo and managed to get a Galaxy S2 for $130, I'm pretty happy with that.
Nice! I just got one yesterday from Future Shop for $99 dollars up front plus $150 on tab, but they gave me a $100 store gift certificate with it so it feels like I spent nothing.

Now, one day into my new phone experience, I'm trying to customize the bugger and unsure how to proceed. Would the Android junkies in here recommend rooting it? Also, can anyone recommend me a good launcher? I'm not too impressed with the TWLauncher that came with it.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Sorry I missed your post. It will work on Bell no problem.
The LG Optimus G is a great device by the way, if I haven't shamelessly posted my review:
http://www.androidbugle.com/2012/12/...-g-review.html

Old
01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Co Ho*

Just got a Galaxy S3 for $200 on a 2 year contract on Fido. Free service the first month, $56 a month for 2G of data, unlimited cross Canada calling, call display + visual voicemail, and unlimited international texting - not a bad deal.

It's my first Android phone; can anyone recommend some great apps?

Old
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
I've seen the term "root" before, but am not sure what it means.

Any chance of a quick explanation?
Essentially 'rooting' is the same thing as the Iphone user term 'jailbreaking.'

Explanation:
Quote:
The process of allowing root access on a phone and/or other device. The term "rooting" is most often associated with Android devices. It's often thought of as the Android equivalent of iOS Jailbreaking.

Rooting began when the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1 in the US) was released, and people complained that the developer's version (called Android Dev Phone 1) had more features and more power than what was released to the general public. The first root just included simple tweaks and a few features that weren't available on phones running stock Android. However, as time progressed rooting evolved from simple tweaking of features to giving the Android experience a whole new look and feel.

The process of rooting was originally something that was complex and only those with a knack for technology should do, however the process, much like jailbreaking was simplified to the point where you can obtain root access with just the click of a button. Unlike jailbreaking however, there is no unsigned app store, like Cydia for iOS.

Instead, a program called "Superuser" is the main signal that your device is rooted. What this program does is that it allows certain applications to gain root access to do things like create wireless hotspots, view your device's files, or other functions that can otherwise only be done by Android support staff.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rooting
Basically it completely unlocks the phone and gives you what would be considered developer access.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Nice! I just got one yesterday from Future Shop for $99 dollars up front plus $150 on tab, but they gave me a $100 store gift certificate with it so it feels like I spent nothing.

Now, one day into my new phone experience, I'm trying to customize the bugger and unsure how to proceed. Would the Android junkies in here recommend rooting it? Also, can anyone recommend me a good launcher? I'm not too impressed with the TWLauncher that came with it.
Anything to do with rooting or how to root... best info is on XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Old
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Milan the God*

Quote:

I had my Galaxy S2 rooted and CM10 installed. It was in the beta stage. The camera wasn't working through that ROM quite yet. I had some problems and thought I bricked my device but I was able to flash the stock ROM. It used the Nexus launcher which I loved.

However, I chose to go to a different ROM after a few weeks. I tried Sky-ICS and enjoyed it. The battery life on CM10 sucked at the time and I missed my camera. I installed Google Now onto it which was pretty easy. I also switched to the Nexus launcher as I liked it a lot more than the stock one.

Look at the features and choose what's best for you. It's hard to say. Flashing ROMs failed on me a few times but it was never permanent damage.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:05 PM
StringerBell

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, I obviously need to do a few weeks (at least) of research before taking the step of rooting it. However in the meantime I want to install a new launcher due to my bad first impression of TouchWiz. Can anyone make a recommendation between the likes of Nova, GO, ADW, Zeam, Apex or something else entirely?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:11 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, I obviously need to do a few weeks (at least) of research before taking the step of rooting it. However in the meantime I want to install a new launcher due to my bad first impression of TouchWiz. Can anyone make a recommendation between the likes of Nova, GO, ADW, Zeam, Apex or something else entirely?
I use Nova Launcher. It does the job. I don't use anything fancy like infinite scrolling though, I like to keep things simple.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
SoulPatch

More details on where this is from please:

Quote:

Old
01-03-2013, 11:51 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Sorry I missed your post. It will work on Bell no problem.
The LG Optimus G is a great device by the way, if I haven't shamelessly posted my review:
http://www.androidbugle.com/2012/12/...-g-review.html
It's okay. I read your site every now and then. It's bookmarked. And I enjoy reading your reviews.

My biggest concern for me now is that.. 1. I want a phone ASAP. 2. I want pure android. 3. How's LGs interface compared to Nexus 4.

I know the specs are almost identical.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:07 AM
KISSland

Also which camera would you guys rank the highest?

LG Optimus G, Nexus 4, or the HTC One X+?

Last edited by KISSland: 01-04-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Unfortunately small battery.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:57 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:

HTC is never known for great cameras... though LG isn't much better...

Old
01-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I use Nova Launcher. It does the job. I don't use anything fancy like infinite scrolling though, I like to keep things simple.
Haha, infinite scrolling is one of my favourite features in Nova. That, and being able to choose how many rows of apps on the homescreen.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
It's okay. I read your site every now and then. It's bookmarked. And I enjoy reading your reviews.

My biggest concern for me now is that.. 1. I want a phone ASAP. 2. I want pure android. 3. How's LGs interface compared to Nexus 4.

I know the specs are almost identical.
Thanks!

1. The LG Optimus G is widely available!
2. LG's version of Android is significantly different than stock so that's a thumbs down
3. See #2, it reminded me A LOT of Nature UI from Samsung, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

Quote:

HTC One X+, LG Optimus G, Nexus 4.
To be fair, the hardware itself is probably VERY similar in real world capabilities but it's software that makes a world of difference. LG's options out of the box aren't well tuned.

Quote:
HTC is never known for great cameras... though LG isn't much better...
HTC One X and One S series are a quantum leap above the last HTC offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
More details on where this is from please:
How to make The Explorer home screen

Greg Wright's Explorer home screen got lots of attention, and for good reason. Wright's creation is actually even cooler than you might realize, as many of the visual elements are interactive: Tapping the compass opens Google Now; tapping the caliper toggles the notification bar; tapping the lion at the bottom of the map opens a folder of frequent apps; and tapping the date at the top opens the system clock. The paper scroll at the bottom-left, meanwhile, shows a dynamic representation of the phone's current battery level.

Like the last setup, Wright's home screen uses Nova Launcher Prime to accomplish some of its magic. The wallpaper comes from Wallbase.cc; the widgets for the date, time, and battery level were all made using the Ultimate Custom Widget (UCCW) application along with a font called FoglihtenNo06 (Google it and you'll find several sites offering free downloads).

As for the interactive functions, Wright used Nova Launcher to create shortcuts on the spots he wanted and then set their icons to be blank images. That makes it seem like you're tapping the actual map instead of a regular app shortcut.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/andro...reens-yourself

I really liked this one:
http://arandompackage.blogspot.ca/20...y-android.html

Last edited by Sined: 01-04-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

I agree with Sined,

HTC One S and X's cameras are amazing

Closed Thread