HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 08:40 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Google Now is insane. It has figured out where I work with the travel estimate feature. I look at my notifications and see, "Home to Work: Estimated 5 minutes"

Old
01-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Google Now is insane. It has figured out where I work with the travel estimate feature. I look at my notifications and see, "Home to Work: Estimated 5 minutes"
My schedule is all over the place, but my girlfriend always works at the same time. She even gets a notification about ten minutes before she normally leaves to catch the bus to go to work. Google Now is pretty great.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Anyone know of any good screen protectors for the Galaxy S2? I bought one from Koodo and it's garbage, I essentially just cut up my $10.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:14 PM
awesomo
HARD!

how excrutiating..

out for delivery since 815.

come on nexus... come to meeee

Old
01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Anyone know of any good screen protectors for the Galaxy S2? I bought one from Koodo and it's garbage, I essentially just cut up my $10.
I simply buy a half-dozen at a time off of ebay, and get a good application on about the third try. Phone store accessories are pure mark-up.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Didn't know where to put this, so I figured the Android thread would be the proper place.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/4/383...ss-google-maps

Looks like Google is engaging in more anti-competitive practices. Removing (or modifying) a software to not work with a competitors product is blatantly anti-competitive (as shown in Microsoft's very own anti-trust action a decade ago).

This is pretty disgraceful behavior from Google. Curious if that laughable slap on the wrist they got emboldened them.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw

Last edited by Bird Law: 01-04-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Didn't know where to put this, so I figured the Android thread would be the proper place.

Looks like Google is engaging in more anti-competitive practices. Removing (or modifying) a software to not work with a competitors product is blatantly anti-competitive (as shown in Microsoft's very own anti-trust action a decade ago).

This is pretty disgraceful behavior from Google. Curious if that laughable slap on the wrist they got emboldened them.
More anti-Microsoft more than anything. This goes along with dropping Exchange support for Gmail on Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.
Google still wants people to use Google services on iPhone.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
invictus

Do I need to have the newest version of Android to use Google Now? Stupid Galaxy S2

Old
01-04-2013, 11:15 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Doesn't this all go back to MS denying Google the low level access necessary to run Chrome on Windows phones? In return for denying them the opportunity to support their browser, Google modified Maps to no longer be supported by IE on Windows phones. Basically a statement of "let us run Chrome or you can't run Maps". Not the classiest move, but if that's the case I can see where it comes from.

At least that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong (very likely, not much of a techie) please correct me.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Do I need to have the newest version of Android to use Google Now? Stupid Galaxy S2
Galaxy S II is slated for and upgrade to Jelly Bean.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Galaxy S II is slated for and upgrade to Jelly Bean.
Always the bearer of good news. It appears it has been claimed to be coming "next month" since November. So, we must be close!

Old
01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Always the bearer of good news. It appears it has been claimed to be coming "next month" since November. So, we must be close!
LOL, yeah so long as the Galaxy Nexus is getting updates you can assume the Galaxy S II should get updates.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
I know this doesn't help a ton for us in the US/Canada, but.... Samsung announced Korean models will get Jellybean this month

Old
01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Finnpin

I bought Galaxy Ace 2 about 2 months ago (already fixed broken glass once) and now I'm seeing S2 in sale almost the same price...well whatta hell... actually 3.8 inch screen fits my jeans perfect. I wonder when the promised JB update comes.

I've never been a huge gamer with phones as I don't like the touch screen gaming experience but picked up game called: Top Eleven (online soccer manager game) and I'm totally hooked I guess I have to give the developers money because I need tokens to buy players... they have totally build it to get players hooked and to buy tokens. Soon I'm gonna be sucker.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I was looking through pictures in my reviews and I noticed the HUGE difference between LCD RGB vs AMOLED PenTile.

I mean this has been beaten into ground but I just can't get over the big difference in the way pixels are rendered.

Last edited by Sined: 01-05-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

What might be the best phone out between April and June that has a large screen (And looking at Sined's post above, AMOLED or equivelent screen). I like the look and feel of the Nokia Lumina. The HTC One X also looks nice and something that would feel good, but I've never held one.

I prefer Android, but would consider a Windows phone or alternative other than the Iphone.

EDIT: In May I can upgrade with Sprint. In June I can change if I want to ATT or Verizon.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Led Zappa: 01-05-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
What might be the best phone out between April and June that has a large screen (And looking at Sined's post above, AMOLED or equivelent screen). I like the look and feel of the Nokia Lumina. The HTC One X also looks nice and something that would feel good, but I've never held one.

I prefer Android, but would consider a Windows phone or alternative other than the Iphone.

EDIT: In May I can upgrade with Sprint. In June I can change if I want to ATT or Verizon.
Sorry I mislabeled that pic. It's RBG LCD on top and PenTile AMOLED on the bottom.

Considering what you're looking for in a phone I'd say these are your possibilities:
- HTC One X
- HTC Windows Phone 8X
- Nokia Lumia 920
- HTC DROID DNA

The EVO 4G LTE is pretty good too. In fact it is already on Jelly Bean.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
My schedule is all over the place, but my girlfriend always works at the same time. She even gets a notification about ten minutes before she normally leaves to catch the bus to go to work. Google Now is pretty great.
I too had a Google Now moment a few minutes ago

I have been out of town for a few hours, and when I grabbed my phone in a coffee shop, I got a notification showing me the estimated time to go back home with the map and best road, etc etc

Out of the blue, amazing

Old
01-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Finnpin

I've always owned Nokias before....now owner of Android phones of 1.5 years and I'm quite disappointed.

ZTE Blade. My 1st Android. Build quite strong I liked it. Otherwise so meh. Synch...nothing working etc.
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. After 2 months. Somebody buy this? It's build so poorly...first time I hold it...it felt like when I fart it will crash...1st drinking night out... and the glass gets broken. Samsung Go F Yourself! Poor build phones. Yeah blah blah get gorilla glass...but the covers also... profit plastic.

My next phone WP8. And Lumia.

Nokia builds the phones "for Finns" because we like to drink,,,when ya drink ya drop ya phone... see?

Last edited by Finnpin: 01-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Gah, I want the Nexus 4 to be back in stock already Can't beat the value for this phone. I've been stuck on my crappy LG Neon 2 slide phone for a while now and it's irritating me using it, especially when almost everyone has a smartphone these days Now that I can actually afford something better the damn Nexus 4 is never in stock. Hopefully the Google Play store figures out their inventory issues by the end of the month.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I was looking through pictures in my reviews and I noticed the HUGE difference between LCD vs AMOLED.

I mean this has been beaten into ground but I just can't get over the big difference in the way pixels are rendered.
Is that LCD vs. Amoled, or LCD vs. PenTile? Because I really can't tell the difference between my iPad 3 and my Note 2.

Edit: Bah. Should have refreshed before posting.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I've always owned Nokias before....now owner of Android phones of 1.5 years and I'm quite disappointed.

ZTE Blade. My 1st Android. Build quite strong I liked it. Otherwise so meh. Synch...nothing working etc.
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. After 2 months. Somebody buy this? It's build so poorly...first time I hold it...it felt like when I fart it will crash...1st drinking night out... and the glass gets broken. Samsung Go F Yourself! Poor build phones. Yeah blah blah get gorilla glass...but the covers also... profit plastic.

My next phone WP8. And Lumia.

Nokia builds the phones "for Finns" because we like to drink,,,when ya drink ya drop ya phone... see?
Budget phone. You get what you pay for.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Budget phone. You get what you pay for.
For 270 eur Samsung phone I expect something better what Samsung delivers. 270 ain't budget imo. ZTE was budget but even that was buildwise better than Samsung. Samsung is a ripoff company and I still hold hold their devices. Phone, tv and blu-ray player. I can only blame myself.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
KISSland

Think I'm going to buy the N4 for $500 on craigslist. 100 more, but I want it now.

Edit: It's actually $422 w/ tax and shipping. So it's only $80 more. I might be able to get it down to 460.

Also is the phone 4G LTE or not... Says here it is for Canada: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...of-has-4g-lte/

Sined can you clarify for me?

Last edited by KISSland: 01-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
For 270 eur Samsung phone I expect something better what Samsung delivers. 270 ain't budget imo. ZTE was budget but even that was buildwise better than Samsung. Samsung is a ripoff company and I still hold hold their devices. Phone, tv and blu-ray player. I can only blame myself.
IMO Anything by Samsung that isn't an S series or Note series really is a budget phone. And EVERY Samsung phone needs a case. And I agree, I'd never buy an Ace 2, and I'd never recommend one. For Samsung it's go big or go home. They would do well to improve their low end phones rather than lose customers like you.

Closed Thread