HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
  #801
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
First 5 conversations with Iphone owners today leads me to believe the world is far scarier than I realized. Yeesh...
Eh?

Do explain.

CoopALoop is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  #802
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 29,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Eh?

Do explain.
Entitlement.

Had someone claim Apple had offered to replace an out of warranty Iphone 4 with two new Iphone 5's ... just because... and were mad at me because I didn't know about it (I don't work for apple).

EDIT: as one example. Seems like lots of Iphones dieing recently.


Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 01-08-2013 at 01:15 PM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
  #803
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Entitlement.

Had someone claim Apple had offered to replace an out of warranty Iphone 4 with two new Iphone 5's ... just because... and were mad at me because I didn't know about it (I don't work for apple).

EDIT: as one example. Seems like lots of Iphones dieing recently.
Figured. Just wanted clarification.

Really, the rift between android users and Iphone users is directly relate able to mac vs pc.

CoopALoop is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
  #804
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 29,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Figured. Just wanted clarification.

Really, the rift between android users and Iphone users is directly relate able to mac vs pc.
I like apple hardware fine, it's Itunes that I dislike... that and their pricing.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
  #805
Power Man
Grrrr
 
Power Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 21,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I like apple hardware fine, it's Itunes that I dislike... that and their pricing.
Apple's hardware is very high quality stuff

The rest (itunes, outdated UI, late features, etc ) is **** though

Power Man is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
  #806
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,595
vCash: 500
Has anyone had experience with trying to get a replacement/upgrade from Verizon before their two-year commitment has expired?

My 13 mos old Galaxy Nexus has begun to act flaky - I'm guessing some intermittent internal short. It periodically thinks it's charging even when not plugged in to USB - it bounces back and forth between charging and not, turning on the screen at each transition, and having a high battery drain (if/when it happens, a full battery can drain in about 1-3 hrs).

I'm trying to decide if/when to deal with the issue and the hassle - I'm not keen on paying an unsubsidized price for a replacement.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
  #807
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Rogers finally pushed the update for the One X. No more screen space lost to the freaking submenu button!
Installed the update and it broke my data entirely. Not just mobile data either - Wifi doesn't work now. Thanks, HTC.

vBurmi is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
  #808
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,896
vCash: 500
Just... what the ****?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ictures-tweets

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  #809
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 29,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post


Lol Ohhh Qualcomm you crazy sobs.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
  #810
Power Man
Grrrr
 
Power Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 21,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Rogers finally pushed the update for the One X. No more screen space lost to the freaking submenu button!
Fido has yet to push JB for the One S


So I decided to root and flash a JB custom ROM

Power Man is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
  #811
Gobias Industries
Registered User
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post


Lol Ohhh Qualcomm you crazy sobs.
Wow, can anyone weigh in if they were this crazy before?

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
  #812
Milan the God*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Apple's hardware is very high quality stuff

The rest (itunes, outdated UI, late features, etc ) is **** though
Agreed. I have an iPhone 5. The hardware is super nice. Feels great. In the screen, it's boring and the same old thing.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
  #813
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Installed the update and it broke my data entirely. Not just mobile data either - Wifi doesn't work now. Thanks, HTC.
I installed if from work. I'm good to go. =[

Sined is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
  #814
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Well **** me. S4 to be released in May.

Comes with 2ghz quad core, 2g ram, 13mp, & 2mp rear cam!!!

If I buy my N4 now anyone think I can get 350-400 for it if i decide to swtch to s4?

KISSland is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:16 PM
  #815
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,896
vCash: 500
Got a link for the release date or only from rumors?

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
  #816
Hunter Gathers
Raise hell and . . .
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: . . . eat cornbread.
Country: United States
Posts: 98,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Agreed. I have an iPhone 5. The hardware is super nice. Feels great. In the screen, it's boring and the same old thing.
And even the huggiest of all the nut huggers are beginning to feel jaded about the software. I don't blame them -- I felt that way before I even bought an iPhone!!

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
My MS Excel crashed so I couldn't watch the game. - ReggieDunlop68
Hunter Gathers is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
  #817
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,295
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Well **** me. S4 to be released in May.

Comes with 2ghz quad core, 2g ram, 13mp, & 2mp rear cam!!!

If I buy my N4 now anyone think I can get 350-400 for it if i decide to swtch to s4?
How big is the screen on the S4?

I doubt you'll get $300 since you can buy them unlocked new for $350. If they follow the Nexus7 pattern, the storage will be upgraded at least once by then.

Timmer44 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
  #818
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
How big is the screen on the S4?

I doubt you'll get $300 since you can buy them unlocked new for $350. If they follow the Nexus7 pattern, the storage will be upgraded at least once by then.
that's 350 with out tax&shipping. With tax&shipping its 422.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...tton-50010099/

KISSland is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
  #819
SoulPatch
Registered User
 
SoulPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I installed if from work. I'm good to go. =[
It seems I'm also able to upgrade. Noob question but just curious if I update like this, will it remove the custom recovery from my phone and/or break root? Should I wait on this?

SoulPatch is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
  #820
Moves Like Jagr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Would anyone happen to know if the jelly bean update will be pushed to my Roger Samsung S2 LTE if I'm not with Rogers? I purchased the phone off my friend and am not with Rogers but Rogers is releasing the update late january. Will I need to have a Rogers sim to get the update? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Moves Like Jagr is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
  #821
Hunter Gathers
Raise hell and . . .
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: . . . eat cornbread.
Country: United States
Posts: 98,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
that's 350 with out tax&shipping. With tax&shipping its 422.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...tton-50010099/
Will purchase the GSIV if it isn't plastic-y junk like the GSIII. Not holding my breath.

Also, "tax and shipping" doesn't factor into re-sale at all.

Hunter Gathers is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
  #822
Stories
Science!
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Has anyone had experience with trying to get a replacement/upgrade from Verizon before their two-year commitment has expired?

My 13 mos old Galaxy Nexus has begun to act flaky - I'm guessing some intermittent internal short. It periodically thinks it's charging even when not plugged in to USB - it bounces back and forth between charging and not, turning on the screen at each transition, and having a high battery drain (if/when it happens, a full battery can drain in about 1-3 hrs).

I'm trying to decide if/when to deal with the issue and the hassle - I'm not keen on paying an unsubsidized price for a replacement.
I've never had any success trying to convince them my Bionic was POS when I got it. They wouldn't do anything for me except give me a $40 credit one month. And I've been a Verizon customer for 9+ years.

Stories is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
  #823
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
It seems I'm also able to upgrade. Noob question but just curious if I update like this, will it remove the custom recovery from my phone and/or break root? Should I wait on this?
Don't update if you are rooted.
Wait for an XDA rooted ROM.

Sined is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 01:57 PM
  #824
Power Man
Grrrr
 
Power Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 21,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Don't update if you are rooted.
Wait for an XDA rooted ROM.
This.

TBH I'm enjoying the JB custom ROM on my One S


And since my phone is gonna get the official JB update around the year 2025, I said " **** it, I'm rooting "



Problem, HTC and Fido ?

Power Man is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
  #825
SoulPatch
Registered User
 
SoulPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 500
Yea, I only rooted my One X so that I could use Titanium Backup and get all my app data from my Atrix. I like Sense's ICS and felt no reason to try out custom Roms yet. Now that an official JB has been released, I look forward to installing Sense 4.1+ roms. Was just surprised to see that I could even download an update (I'm with Bell and it's a Rogers phone).

SoulPatch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.