HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 09:24 AM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madvie View Post
How about between the SIII ($299) and the Nexus ($0)?
I think the camera is worse on the Nexus and no expandable memory, but it's supposed to get faster updates, right? Worth the price difference?
Galaxy Nexus? Still a good phone one year after being launched.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And now I am deciding whether or not I want to jettison the iPhone 5 for a Note II.
So you took the plunge on the 5, hey?

Anything glaringly wrong with it, or it just the dull familiarity of the platform?

I'm still mulling over the same dilemma. With a careful eye on the new 1080p phones hitting next year.

1080p + removable battery + micro SD + quad core + 2gb RAM = perfect phone.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvie View Post
How about between the SIII ($299) and the Nexus ($0)?
I think the camera is worse on the Nexus and no expandable memory, but it's supposed to get faster updates, right? Worth the price difference?
Updates aren't guaranteed to be fast if it's from a Canadian Carrier actually.
Long story short, Samsung is in charge of updating Carrier bought Galaxy Nexii in Canada so updates aren't nearly as fast as Galaxy Nexii bought directly from Google.

That being said. You nailed the rest on the head. The Galaxy S III has a better camera, expandable memory and on top of that faster internal hardware and LTE connectivity.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:41 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Note II? Really? But I thought you wanted build quality...
That's Samsung Achilles heel IMO.
Apparently the build quality on the Note 2 is much better than the first.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
100% agree. BUT, 8GB only means one thing and one thing only. They are aiming for a floor buster price.

I'd predict something like $350, maybe even $300 no contract for the 8GB version.

Note II? Really? But I thought you wanted build quality...
That's Samsung Achilles heel IMO.
I generally hate Samsung's build quality. This is true. It's actually been that way since I had my first Samsung phone when I was like 14. Although I would never buy anything BUT a Samsung LCD or LED TV (for plasma, the only answer is Panasonic).

But I was able to hold the phone the other day and it was pretty damn nice. If the HTC phablet comes out on Sprint, I may spring for that instead. Has there been any new news on the One X 5 or Nexus 5 or whatever the hell they think it will be called? I saw a bunch of stuff in September and then radio silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
So you took the plunge on the 5, hey?

Anything glaringly wrong with it, or it just the dull familiarity of the platform?

I'm still mulling over the same dilemma. With a careful eye on the new 1080p phones hitting next year.

1080p + removable battery + micro SD + quad core + 2gb RAM = perfect phone.
The iPhone 5 is a nice phone. I don't hate anything about it. It's light as **** and the build quality is insanely stout. Except for the fact that it scratches badly on the body. The anodizing is so ****ing poor that it can scratch just being in your pocket.

Other than that, the phone is amazing. Maps is actually pretty damn good. I used it the other day and the traffic re-routing is far better than even stand-alone GPS units. I was really impressed by that. I am starting to use Maps more than my $40 Navigon app.

So yeah. It's a hell of a phone. The only thing I would consider trading it in for is one of the phablets.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
For those who don't know, Google has cancelled their Android event tomorrow due to Sandy. However, if you are looking for a Nexus 7 32 GB model...

http://betanews.com/2012/10/28/nexus...ane.ws-twitter

Old
10-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Google has also rolled out movie purchases to Canadians. So you can now buy your movies from the store

Old
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Android 4.1 arrives for HTC One X in Europe and Asia

Quote:
The rollout of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for the HTC One X commenced over the weekend in parts of Asia and Europe. The update first arrived in Taiwan but has since been reported in other regions.

The new software brings the One X to Android 4.1.2 and includes HTC Sense 4+, the latest version of the Taiwanese smartphone maker’s custom user interface. New features include SMS forwarding, password protection for the message inbox, and an updated Gallery. In addition, Sense 4+ is said to bring a 10 percent performance boost in addition to the enhancements of Jelly Bean’s Project Butter. Users can also expect other Jelly Bean features, including Google Now and actionable notifications.

For now the update is making its way to the Tegra 3-powered version of the handset with no exact timeline for the arrival of Jelly Bean for users in the US. Next up for HTC is getting Android 4.1 to the international version of their One S handset.
http://phandroid.com/2012/10/29/andr...rope-and-asia/

Old
10-29-2012, 09:50 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I'm disappointed the Google event was canceled. I was really looking forward to seeing the new Nexus 10.

Quote:
Google has also rolled out movie purchases to Canadians. So you can now buy your movies from the store
The pricing is pretty terrible. $20 for purchase or $5 to rent? My local video store - some still exist - does rentals for half that. I thought the whole point of streaming services was to be cheaper and more convenient, not just the latter.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I'm disappointed the Google event was canceled. I was really looking forward to seeing the new Nexus 10.

The pricing is pretty terrible. $20 for purchase or $5 to rent? My local video store - some still exist - does rentals for half that. I thought the whole point of streaming services was to be cheaper and more convenient, not just the latter.
So, same pricing as Apple iTunes, then.

I have to laugh at the movie industry. VHS tapes found their niche at $15. DVDs sit at $20-25. Blu-rays are $25-40. Downloads are $20. It seems like the less hassle there is to produce and distribute, the higher their profit margins, but who the hell would spend $20 to "own" the right to download when it is all available for free? They've really wrecked their business by not lowering their prices to encourage more purchasing. I know when Blockbuster and Rogers Video went under, I quit purchasing, cold turkey, save for the 4-5 Blu-rays per year I must own. There's no compulsion to own a collection of downloads at $20 apiece.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Tomorrow is Galaxy Note 2 launch day in Canada. And I have no idea whether preorders are sold out, if there are going to be units available tomorrow morning, if there will be lineups...

I was at West Edmonton Mall on Saturday and there was a pretty big buzz around the Microsoft Surface kiosk, so it's nice to see non-Apple products getting some love. Mind you, there were plenty of teenage nerds walking by and shouting "iPad, iPad!" at them, which I thought rather pathetic.

One thing I find funny in Edmonton is that, outside of Apple Stores, you really can't find a demo model of a newly released phone. Just the dummy models. Maybe one or two Galaxy S models at a Best Buy. But they want you to buy most new phones sight-unseen. Really hoping Samsung gets the inshore demos going.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

TON of Nexus news hitting the web:

- Google Now:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...eural-networks

Android 4.2 Features:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...s-photo-sphere

The Nexus Brand:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...10-android-4-2

Nexus 10:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...e-release-date

Nexus 7 + 3G + 32GB:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...le-november-13

No LTE for Nexus 4:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...lte/in/3335719

Orb Wireless charger for Nexus 4:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...-qi/in/3335719

Nexus 4:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...e-release-date

All Nexus devices on Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/device...orpus_selector

Old
10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Apprently the 16 gb Nexus 7 will be priced at 200$ @ Walmart

Old
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Always wary of phones built by LG.

Good specs, great price tho

Old
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Google Magazines now available to Canadians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Apprently the 16 gb Nexus 7 will be priced at 200$ @ Walmart
Yeah, they are doing away with the 8GB version (although I wish they kept making it and priced it at $150).

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Always wary of phones built by LG.

Good specs, great price tho
Yeah, I'm still treading lightly about and LG device, but I think this is going to be a good device.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I seriously want the Nexus 4. But this means leaving Verizon and LTE. Screw Verizon. I hate them so much. I've given them too much money over the past decade.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

No LTE and no expandable memory on the Nexus 4 is a ridiculous decision. Talk about going backwards.

In the world of non-unlimited data, I would never want a device that so heavily relied on the cloud.

With that said, it is a gorgeous, gorgeous device with what looks like an amazing screen. I just don't now why anyone would want to give up LTE or expandable memory with only 8 or 16GB options (I could see giving it up for 32 or 64GB).

Old
10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Benny Lava

The lack of an sd slot sucks, but I don't get why no LTE is a ridiculous decision. The difference between it and HSPA+ is negligible, and a lot of Verizon customers seem to be fine with going to another provider.

It'll be interesting to see how many people go the unlocked route.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
The lack of an sd slot sucks, but I don't get why no LTE is a ridiculous decision. The difference between it and HSPA+ is negligible, and a lot of Verizon customers seem to be fine with going to another provider.

Yeah, that's not true.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No LTE and no expandable memory on the Nexus 4 is a ridiculous decision. Talk about going backwards.

In the world of non-unlimited data, I would never want a device that so heavily relied on the cloud.

With that said, it is a gorgeous, gorgeous device with what looks like an amazing screen. I just don't now why anyone would want to give up LTE or expandable memory with only 8 or 16GB options (I could see giving it up for 32 or 64GB).
Pretty good explanation why the lack of LTE:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...lte/in/3335719

As for SD Card storage, here's why it's a sticky issue:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11...-mass-storage/

If you read through the whole thing you understand why Apple won't ever do SD Cards.

But that being said, it's a complicated technical issue involving data concurrency.

Quote:

Not really "negligible" when the speed increases are in the order of 100-200% speed increases.

I think sales will continue to be poor for the Nexus devices, and it didn't help they didn't get to unveil the devices at an official keynote event because of Sandy.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:55 PM
awesomo
HARD!

I'm not a big fan of no sd either. I have no memory left on my nexus. Would love an expandable sd

Old
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
ThaDevilGirl

So, when should the prices drop in stores for the 16GB N7? Don't feel like adding $20 for shipping

Old
10-29-2012, 05:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I might just wait for that awesome 5" HTC to come out to be my phone. Seriously looks GORGEOUS.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
So, when should the prices drop in stores for the 16GB N7? Don't feel like adding $20 for shipping
The one article posted says the 32GB is scheduled for release on November 13, so I would assume the 16GB will be down to $199 then?

Old
10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:

It's actually a huge difference. If you've tried out HSPA+ then tried out LTE you'd see the huge difference. LTE is for real. It's insanely fast for a phone.

Closed Thread