HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Curious, do you think I should really go for the Nexus 7 32GB (Wi-Fi only) or do you think I should spend the extra $150 for the 10" 16GB? I mean, even though the Nexus 7 has been out since July, is the hardware good enough to last longer than my Droid Incredible 2?

Old
10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Always wary of phones built by LG.

Good specs, great price tho
The price is the ultimate determining factor here. A phone of that caliber simply doesn't sell for $300. Look at the price for an unlocked HTC One X - a pretty similar phone in lots of specs - it's around $500 last time I checked. There are definitely better phones out there but at that price unlocked you can't do better.

It's curious though that a Nexus device wouldn't be top of the line. Seems like it's Google's opportunity to showcase what Android is capable of and to position it as a legitimate platform (not defined by sketchy low-end no-name manufactured junk).

I'll add that although I don't like a lot of the design of the Nexus 4, they nailed it with the sides tapering to the back. Too few phones do that and it's crucial for it to fit nicely in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, do you think I should really go for the Nexus 7 32GB (Wi-Fi only) or do you think I should spend the extra $150 for the 10" 16GB? I mean, even though the Nexus 7 has been out since July, is the hardware good enough to last longer than my Droid Incredible 2?
The hardware of the Nexus 7 is perfectly capable. The difference in specs is minimal compared to the difference in form factors - choose the screen size that suits your needs best.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
The price is the ultimate determining factor here. A phone of that caliber simply doesn't sell for $300. Look at the price for an unlocked HTC One X - a pretty similar phone in lots of specs - it's around $500 last time I checked. There are definitely better phones out there but at that price unlocked you can't do better.

It's curious though that a Nexus device wouldn't be top of the line. Seems like it's Google's opportunity to showcase what Android is capable of and to position it as a legitimate platform (not defined by sketchy low-end no-name manufactured junk).

I'll add that although I don't like a lot of the design of the Nexus 4, they nailed it with the sides tapering to the back. Too few phones do that and it's crucial for it to fit nicely in your hand.

The hardware of the Nexus 7 is perfectly capable. The difference in specs is minimal compared to the difference in form factors - choose the screen size that suits your needs best.
Then I will stick with the Nexus 7. I just wish the data version is not ONLY HSPA+ when I have Verizon.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Osprey

I was pretty interested in the Nexus 4 until I saw that it has no microSD slot and comes in only 8GB and 16GB models. That's a big killer for me.

I really like the wireless charging orb. It makes the phone more useful than charging pads.

BTW, the new version of Google Now (the one that comes in 4.2) is available in the Play Store for Jelly Bean devices to update to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
As for SD Card storage, here's why it's a sticky issue:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11...-mass-storage/
That was informative, but not really satisfying. At the end, he says, "But until we have that, devices will generally either have an SD card, or a large internal storage, but not both." The problem is that most of these phones have neither. He must be calling 8GB or 16GB "large internal storage," but that's not large at all anymore, according to users' needs. Give me 64GB of internal storage and I'll be perfectly happy to say bye-bye to the microSD slot. Heck, I could live with even 32GB (I wouldn't call it "large," but it'd be adequate), but Google's new flagship phone is coming in only 8GB and 16GB models. That's completely ridiculous.

BTW, Sined, you may want to change the title of the thread, since 4.2 is still just "Jelly Bean."

Last edited by Osprey: 10-30-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old
10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
I say go for the Nexus 10 if you don't mind moving up in form factor and losing a bit of portability. The Nexus 10's spec sheet is INSANELY good.

The processor in this beast is one of the first Cortex A-15 CPUs. These processors destroy ANYTHING on the market right now.

The Nexus 10 has to be the most underrated launch today, this tablet out specs the iPad 4 and will be released months before it (not that it makes a difference to the mainstream consumer but since you're on this forum you're not a mainstream consumer).

If you want longevity, which is what you seem to be implying, the Nexus 10 is the way to go. Seriously.

I feel a little burned by nvidia and the support for the Tegra 2. It was one of the first Dual Core CPUs but other than the Motorola XOOM there has yet to be a device with a Tegra 2 upgraded to ICS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That was informative, but not really satisfying. At the end, he says, "But until we have that, devices will generally either have an SD card, or a large internal storage, but not both." The problem is that most of these phones have neither. He must be calling 8GB or 16GB "large internal storage," but that's not large at all anymore, according to users' needs. Give me 64GB of internal storage and I'll be perfectly happy to say bye-bye to the microSD slot. Heck, I could live with even 32GB (I wouldn't call it "large," but it'd be adequate), but the Google's new flagship phone is coming in only 8GB and 16GB models. That's completely ridiculous.

BTW, Sined, you may want to change the title of the thread, since 4.2 is still just "Jelly Bean."
I agree, 32GB should be the minimum. I still am baffled by how 8GB of storage equates to $50 on the Nexus 4. At 8GB there should be an SD Card slot.
But again, if you read into the technicalities of USB Mass Storage and how data concurrency causes a problem, it becomes clear that there is no current method to fix the issue.
The problem lies in that Android is open that you can fool around in the storage with a host PC yet that opens up a can of worms.

I always keep the title ahead of the curve.

Last edited by Sined: 10-29-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old
10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I finally took the dive and rooted my Transformer now that there is a stable build of a CM10 based ROM for the Transformer and I'm glad I did.

I know I did a full wipe so there could be a bit of a placebo, but man what an improvement in performance.

Just sucks that I lose my ASUS preloaded apps (who would have ever though of that?).
Sucks not having remote desktop and the different note taking apps.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Dr GLU

I'm almost certainly going to jump to the Nexus 4. I wonder how much it'll end up costing me after I sell my Galaxy Nexus.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:00 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GLU View Post
I'm almost certainly going to jump to the Nexus 4. I wonder how much it'll end up costing me after I sell my Galaxy Nexus.
Ditto. Just posted it up on craigslist.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:31 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 831
With the updated Nexus 7, the new Nexus 10 and the Surface all coming out in the span of a week it's getting more difficult to convince myself I don't need tablet. For those that have them, how often do you find yourself actually taking it out of the house? And for those who browse a lot on their phones at home, do you go out of your way to pick up the tablet instead of your phone?

Old
10-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
With the updated Nexus 7, the new Nexus 10 and the Surface all coming out in the span of a week it's getting more difficult to convince myself I don't need tablet. For those that have them, how often do you find yourself actually taking it out of the house? And for those who browse a lot on their phones at home, do you go out of your way to pick up the tablet instead of your phone?
I use the tablet over the phone for everything at home, save for music in the speaker dock. Same goes for at work, using the phone only for its 3G tethering. Phone used only when I'm out and about.

I actually notice that I don't ever use the DESKTOP anymore now that the tablet does everything. The phone stays in pocket just so the battery lasts through the day. The tablet has the Herculean battery so there's no worries there.

I'm sure you won't regret either a Nexus tab or the Surface. They all look awesome.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:23 AM
SolidSnakeUS

For the size, performance and price of the Nexus 7, is there anything better than it right now (in that price range)?

Old
10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
I agree

Im not sure I need a tablet yet - I already returned a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (it was a laggy piece of **** tbh) and a few months later an iPad 2.

But damn, and Nexus tablet made by Asus in that price range ... hard to resist

Old
10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GLU View Post
I really want to get a Nexus 4 and finally get updates... but I'm apprehensive about making the move to either TMo or ATT. I absolutely love VZW's network coverage and blazing LTE speeds... but I'm done with VZW's locked down crap policies. It aggravates me so much.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I really want to get a Nexus 4 and finally get updates... but I'm apprehensive about making the move to either TMo or ATT. I absolutely love VZW's network coverage and blazing LTE speeds... but I'm done with VZW's locked down crap policies. It aggravates me so much.
I'm in the same boat. Only problem is I have 4 lines with them, and I work for a premium retailer that strictly sells Verizon products and contracts.

I love the speed on my S3 with unlimited data, but their bloatware crap and the fact that its ever more clear that they are gonna take my unlimited data, I really want to switch. Not to mention it is really pricey as well. And like you said, how controlling they are is icing on the cake.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Well, what do you value more, LTE or being carrier agnostic?

Old
10-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
I'm in the same boat. Only problem is I have 4 lines with them, and I work for a premium retailer that strictly sells Verizon products and contracts.

I love the speed on my S3 with unlimited data, but their bloatware crap and the fact that its ever more clear that they are gonna take my unlimited data, I really want to switch. Not to mention it is really pricey as well. And like you said, how controlling they are is icing on the cake.
Ooh. That's a tough bind. But I rooted and custom ROM'd my Bionic the day I got it (first day of availability when it was still $299.....). But I've never had any carrier other than Verizon and I'm worried about coverage. VZW has absolutely spectacular coverage where I've lived whereas I've had many a friend complain about all the other carriers.

But yeah, losing unlimited data would suck for me since I've had unlimited for several years now. But I can't fathom paying the VZW price of $600+ for a handset to keep unlimited data. Oh, such a bind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Well, what do you value more, LTE or being carrier agnostic?
It's less LTE and more overall quality of coverage I'm worried about. TMo has a bad wrap for poor coverage, and I'm afraid that even though my device is better, I'll have dropped calls and data or no signal at all in places where I'd previously have very strong coverage. But is that worth half the price? Tough to say.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Forget Panorama, Photo Sphere is where it's at!

Quote:
For the size, performance and price of the Nexus 7, is there anything better than it right now (in that price range)?
Not that I know of...

Quote:
Ooh. That's a tough bind. But I rooted and custom ROM'd my Bionic the day I got it (first day of availability when it was still $299.....). But I've never had any carrier other than Verizon and I'm worried about coverage. VZW has absolutely spectacular coverage where I've lived whereas I've had many a friend complain about all the other carriers.

But yeah, losing unlimited data would suck for me since I've had unlimited for several years now. But I can't fathom paying the VZW price of $600+ for a handset to keep unlimited data. Oh, such a bind...

It's less LTE and more overall quality of coverage I'm worried about. TMo has a bad wrap for poor coverage, and I'm afraid that even though my device is better, I'll have dropped calls and data or no signal at all in places where I'd previously have very strong coverage. But is that worth half the price? Tough to say.
Man you're in a tough bind. VZ's network is (from what I've read) pretty friggin solid. It would suck to have to leave that and lose your unlimited data plan.

I just got 6GB from Rogers' and I've always had rock solid coverage ans speeds (especially LTE) have been phenomenal. Thankfully they are a GSM/HSPA/LTE network.

You could try this:
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-tr...-no-commitment

Basically they tell you to get a Nexus 4, sign up for StraightTalk, try AT&T or T-Mobile whatevery ou think has better coverage in your area and see if you can live with it. If you can grats you have unlimited everything plan for $45 if you don't like it stick with VZW.

Last edited by Sined: 10-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Man you're in a tough bind. VZ's network is (from what I've read) pretty friggin solid. It would suck to have to leave that and lose your unlimited data plan.

I just got 6GB from Rogers' and I've always had rock solid coverage ans speeds (especially LTE) have been phenomenal. Thankfully they are a GSM/HSPA/LTE network.

You could try this:
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-tr...-no-commitment

Basically they tell you to get a Nexus 4, sign up for StraightTalk, try AT&T or T-Mobile whatevery ou think has better coverage in your area and see if you can live with it. If you can grats you have unlimited everything plan for $45 if you don't like it stick with VZW.
Yeah, I think I'll probably try out Straight Talk when my contract is up in a few months. I'm hoping ATT is decent enough since I live in a major city.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

My god, how does Google do it?

Just read about the latest Google information about the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7...dear lord. I have a Kindle Fire, but I seriously feel the need to buy a Nexus 7 now.

The one gripe I have about the Google Ecosystem is the store. They rarely run promotons in the way that Amazon constantly does with their content. Amazon is constantly giving away mp3 and video credits to test their waters.

My dream is Google and Amazon getting in bed together and making a baby. It would essentially digitalize everything in my life.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Well go figure, the launch of the Galaxy Note 2 has been "delayed" in my town.

Just like the iPhone 5, it'll be "whenever we've started to pile up unsold stock in Eastern Canada".

Old
10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Dave

Went out trying to get my note2, no one has it. Samsung issued a statement saying their shipments will go out to venders over the next 1-2 weeks. Kind a of a huge fail imo, even though it's not going to deter me from getting the phone.

But still, samsung looks kinda stupid saying "A next big thing, the note2 releases on oct30........................ available in stores mid november"

Old
10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
bigred50

Well, never thought I was missing anything by not having a tablet...

But I was invited to a Google event last week and everyone who attended received a Nexus 7. And now, after a few days of use I must say: this thing is awesome! Instead of coming home to my laptop and firing it up, loading windows, etc etc etc I now just quickly fire through my Nexus to check email, browse the web, etc. Simple, fast, and fun. It's comfortable to hold too. Loving the Nexus 7. Thanks Google!

Anyone know of some essential apps for the 7?

Old
10-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I might just wait for that awesome 5" HTC to come out to be my phone. Seriously looks GORGEOUS.
When is it coming out? Has there been any more news on it?

Old
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:

Yea I had got a Thunderbolt in April of 11 right before they got rid of unlimited data. And with my job being what it is, Ive been able to have the Rezound, Razr Maxx, and now the S3 while only spending about 100$ on each one without renewing my contract. But those situations are few and far between. I developed a real good relationship with a Protect Cell cell phone insurance account rep, where If I get a broken phone, I can just pay the 100$ deductible and shell get it replaced for me. People bring in broken phones all the time, and end up just leaving them if they are SOL. So ive been lucky.

I currently have the 10/2 CM 10 monthly on my S3 right now. I like it a lot. Love getting rid of all the Verizon uselessware.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

bestbuy.ca has the 16GB Nexus 7 listed for $239.99 and the 32GB for $269.99

Closed Thread