HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
bestbuy.ca has the 16GB Nexus 7 listed for $239.99 and the 32GB for $269.99
So is Staples and Memory Express. Oh well. Let's choose the fastest shipping.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

So here's an anecdotal story on the reach of the Apple Reality Distortion Field.
It's my sister's birthday today and she wants an iPhone 5.
She has gotten a bit of money here and there to put it together and get an unlocked iPhone 5.

So to troll her I said; "Hey, I'll tell you what, I'll buy you a Nexus 4 and you get to keep the money everyone has given you to get an iPhone"

So in the end she would have a Nexus 4 16GB + $450 in her pocket and she turned it down.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

That's... Really ****ed up...

Old
10-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
So here's an anecdotal story on the reach of the Apple Reality Distortion Field.
She has gotten a bit of money here and there to put it together and get an unlocked iPhone 5.

So to troll her I said; "Hey, I'll tell you what, I'll buy you a Nexus 4 and you get to keep the money everyone has given you to get an iPhone"

So in the end she would have a Nexus 4 16GB + $450 in her pocket and she turned it down.
Pretty stupid indeed. What she should've done is taken the nex4 and then flipped that to all the android fan boys who are fawning over it. Then end up with ~350 in her pocket with the phone she wants.

When I was out shopping for a phone today I got a chance to look at the iphone5. I couldn't believe how small the screen was, definitely wouldn't want a screen that small.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:57 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

Quote:

I tell you, the Apple Propaganda is super strong.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Pretty stupid indeed. What she should've done is taken the nex4 and then flipped that to all the android fan boys who are fawning over it. Then end up with ~350 in her pocket with the phone she wants.

When I was out shopping for a phone today I got a chance to look at the iphone5. I couldn't believe how small the screen was, definitely wouldn't want a screen that small.
You think it would fetch $350? I mean is it that hard to go to play.google.com and buy one?
A real Android Fanboy fould have and NFC tag that would automatically launch the play.google.com on his phone!

Old
10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
I Am Beat You

Got a Galaxy s3 recently because the guy at the store convinced me to get it over the Iphone 5. I'm new to android and while I like this phone, I feel like I am severely under-utilizing it. Needless to say, I know very little about technology and would like to get my money's worth. Are there any must have apps or cool things I may not know when it comes to this phone or android in general?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old
10-30-2012, 10:42 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
Got a Galaxy s3 recently because the guy at the store convinced me to get it over the Iphone 5. I'm new to android and while I like this phone, I feel like I am severely under-utilizing it. Needless to say, I know very little about technology and would like to get my money's worth. Are there any must have apps or cool things I may not know when it comes to this phone or android in general?

For a ridiculous amount of info on android phones and how they work checkout XDA Devs forum:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/
XDA is also where you can find info on rooting your phone should you ever wish to.

For more general info I like the regular android forums:
http://androidforums.com/

Since my phone is old old old I don't use a lot of apps right now but a fun hobby one is "Google Sky Maps" which shows where all the planets and stars are in relation to where the phone is facing.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...icleid=4924633

Funny post from ******; for the price of a Macbook Air, you can get a Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 AND a Chromebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post

Check out the first post of this thread, lots of good info there
Also, there isn't really such a thing as under utilizing something.
Use it for whatever you feel like doing, it's your device.
Think up stuff you'd like your phone to do and maybe by searching through the Play Store you'll find an app that can actually do it.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
We were briefly discussing launchers in here the other day, and my personal favorite, ADW EX, finally put out an update. It's super slick now. I'd recommend anyone not totally satisfied with Apex or Nova to give it a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

It runs like butter on my SGSIII with Synergy ROM.

It's just pain.
Old
10-31-2012, 09:26 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We were briefly discussing launchers in here the other day, and my personal favorite, ADW EX, finally put out an update. It's super slick now. I'd recommend anyone not totally satisfied with Apex or Nova to give it a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

It runs like butter on my SGSIII with Synergy ROM.
Wow I thought it was abandoned so I bought Nova as well. I just might have to switch back now. What'd they change? Under "What's New" in the Playstore it just says "Tons of fun!".

Old
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Wow I thought it was abandoned so I bought Nova as well. I just might have to switch back now. What'd they change? Under "What's New" in the Playstore it just says "Tons of fun!".
They basically rebuilt the app from the ground up. Completely new interface, the addition of an optional "action bar" at the top of your screen (it's a Google search/voice search box with an additional launcher settings button), launcher groups that work, and a lot more. I don't feel so behind the times now.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
I finally took the dive and rooted my Transformer now that there is a stable build of a CM10 based ROM for the Transformer and I'm glad I did.

I know I did a full wipe so there could be a bit of a placebo, but man what an improvement in performance.

Just sucks that I lose my ASUS preloaded apps (who would have ever though of that?).
Sucks not having remote desktop and the different note taking apps.
Did you flash RaymanFX's build? I'm thinking of flashing a JB rom, but last time I tried it wasn't very stable.

Has anyone tried the Android 4.2 keyboard yet? I just started using it and it is entirely possible I prefer it to Swiftkey 3. Might be my new keyboard at least until Swiftkey Flow.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The JB camera with Photo Sphere has leaked. It's meant for the G-Nex, but it's running fine on my SGSIII. I've seen a few other people say they've got it running fine on various other devices as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1965895

Old
10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Just got amazon to authorize a refund for a Transformer Prime I purchased from them back in May. Trying to decide if I want to buy the Asus TF700T or wait and get the Nexus 10.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Osprey

It should be noted that, to use the 4.2 camera, you need a rooted phone. You probably also need 4.x, but that's just a guess.

Also, the 4.2 keyboard (with Swype-like gestures) has been leaked. Again, you need a rooted phone.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/02...-for-flashing/

Last edited by Osprey: 11-03-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updated with link to final keyboard build
Old
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Warren Piece

4.2 Camera and Gallery works on my 4.0.4 GS2. Except for photo sphere that is.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:53 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Also, a pre-final version of the 4.2 keyboard (with Swype-like gestures) has been leaked. Again, you need a rooted phone.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/30...n-early-build/
I like how the words appear as you're sliding your thumb across the keyboard.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I like how the words appear as you're sliding your thumb across the keyboard.
Yeah, that's a nice feature that distinguishes it from the other tracing keyboards (AFAIK). It means that your eye doesn't have to look quite as far away to see what the guessed word is. Also, it's nice that you can kind of cycle through potential words by trying to re-trace over letters.

The only issue, as the video brought up, is that it the hovering words don't look as they're supposed to in the final version and look bad when they hover over the app, itself. It's just a minor thing, though, and we'll probably get the final version any day or week now, anyways.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piece View Post
4.2 Camera and Gallery works on my 4.0.4 GS2. Except for photo sphere that is.
The camera runs fine on my SGSIII with the exception of filters/editing. When I hit the icon, I get a FC. The folks on XDA say that this is fixed by pushing some additional libs to system, but it still doesn't work for me. I'm on a stock ICS ROM (Synergy), so maybe that's my issue?

I'm not big into tinkering with my pictures, so it's no big deal to me. Just frustrating that I can't figure it out.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piece View Post
Did you flash RaymanFX's build? I'm thinking of flashing a JB rom, but last time I tried it wasn't very stable.
Yeah I'm using RaymanFX's Unofficial Cyanogenmod V6. Seems very stable and fast so far. It's out of Beta status.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Hey, a friend of mine worked on this game it's free so I'd really appreciated if you guys tried it out and maybe give it a rating.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fdog.roadtrip2

Last edited by Sined: 11-01-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'm getting an s3 in the next few days, just waiting for it to arrive. My BB finally died forever and since I like my Galaxy tab so much I figured I'd get the phone version too.

Can anyone suggest a good case for it? I'm really scared of ruining it.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

So the LG Nexus 4's order page is up on Google Play

349$, unlocked (canadian)

Not available yet though

https://play.google.com/store/device...cyNjkwMzA4MiJd

And the 16g Nexus 7 at 209$
https://play.google.com/store/device...cyNjkwMzA4MiJd

Last edited by McSorleyStick: 11-01-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'm getting an s3 in the next few days, just waiting for it to arrive. My BB finally died forever and since I like my Galaxy tab so much I figured I'd get the phone version too.

Can anyone suggest a good case for it? I'm really scared of ruining it.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Protec...ef=pd_cp_cps_1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089VO7A6/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

Closed Thread