HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part V: The "Back to square one" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
#NHL exec tells me both sides speak everyday in some form or fashion. Says these aren't "touching base" talks, more substantive than that
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...97869345202179

Old
11-01-2012, 03:44 PM
mike14

Yeah, Prust will come out of this whole thing looking pretty stupid IMO. His tweets early on about how he's better than Bettman because there's a potential for injury on the ice (paraphrasing obviously) were dumb and his comments now aren't much better.

Was one of my favourite Rangers when he was here, and I was planning on watching some Habs games to see how he was going, but have lost a lot of respect for him (not that it will affect him in any way)

Old
11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Really how most of the negotiations take place and not in big publicized meetings

still not sure if that means anything is close though

Old
11-01-2012, 04:16 PM
DutchShamrock

It's stupid to make the rich man/losing money argument. It's a business venture, making money is not a guarantee. That's not the issue, only support for your stance.

The owners want more of the money, the players want their share phased down. Once they settle on how each side gets to that point, we will have hockey. Unfortunately, the two sides have an amount of money they will part with and a time line before they throw their hands up and say, "ok this is as good as it gets."

The aftermath is key. The rest of the lockout is details. These guys need to work together. Bettman well and truly sucks and impossible to trust. Unlike many people I think the union strength will help labor stability in the future... skip this step where the will of the player is tested. This needs to be the last CBA with the current system. They'll lose two years next time if the same approach is taken, and rest assured, the same problems will exist in 6 years. Start working on a new system earlier.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:34 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Prust is an idiot. Not only that but enjoying losing $2.5M you will never sniff again under the next CBA.

11-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Winter Classic being cancelled means there will be no season. See you all next October.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

I hope they get back to the table.

Quote:
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Have to say, players I spoke with tonight offered little or no details ... but sounded strangely optimistic. #NHLlockout

Old
11-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Winter Classic being cancelled means there will be no season. See you all next October.
No it does. That simply not true.

The reason the Winter Classic might be cancelled is over - what else - money. They owe the Big House in Michigan a $100,000 payment to use their building soon. Not a very good decision for a league thats not generating any money at the moment.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

The reason the Winter Classic might be cancelled is over - what else - money. They owe the Big House in Michigan a $100,000 payment to use their building soon. Not a very good decision for a league thats not generating any money at the moment.
Even more then that, going by the article on the last page. $250k owed if its not cancelled by tomorrow.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:29 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

adater ‏@adater
NHL plans to "discuss" Eugene Melnyk's comments with him. Make the check out to "Gary B. Bettman" Mr. Melnyk

11-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Chileiceman

Organized lockout protests - NYC

Do you guys think it'd be possible to gather enough hockey fans in Toronto and New York and stage (peaceful) protests outside the NHLPA and NHL's office one day? Of course this couldn't be a spur of the moment thing, it'd have to get media attention and enough people to want to do it for it to have any effect.

I mean I doubt it will actually have any bearing on the negotiations, but I think the message would be heard loud and clear by both sides. Thousands of angry hockey fans with inside out jerseys on (just an idea) on the Sportscenter in both countries would be an example of what we can do as fans.
The players especially need to know that the people are not all necessarily on their side as a lot of them seem to believe.

Anyone down? HF has the capability of getting things to go viral (see: Rory Fitzpatrick the all-star). These days with Twitter and Facebook its easy to spread the message.

All it would take would be one Facebook group where we all joined and invited our friends. Let guys like Mirtle, McKenzie and Wyshinski know to spread the word. Our date can be a key date before more cancellations are announced, maybe the end of this month.

I'm maybe getting a little too carried away here, but I really think there are enough upset hockey fans in those too cities (like myself) that we could get a really huge amount of people outside the offices.

We could also shamelessly promote HFBoards
I will now turn it to the masses to see what they think.

I'll start a Facebook group tomorrow afternoon and see how it goes.

Note: I've posted this thread in the main board, Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Leafs boards.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Perhaps you heard? A large hurricane just hit the New York City area--I don't think a protest in the near future would be such a great idea.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

This whole thing with the league in 2003 and now with another lockout was not a very good decision, that didnt stop them from still doing it and negotiating in bad faith during both lockouts. Whats another 100K thrown in the crapper for these guys. All they care about is making sure they beat down the NHLPA in the CBA negotiations.

Plus 100K is peanuts, thats one crappy entry league salary for an AHL player, and thats split up between 30 teams.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-refrains.html

Last week I would have said the Islanders are undoubtedly involved, but since the announcement of the Brooklyn move, I think Wang has likely backed off his demands.

But Jacobs, is there a cheaper owner in the league?

The other teams, as the guys from PPP said, you could contract all of those teams and the NHL wouldn't be that worse off. If these are the guys holding things up, can you imagine how they will be treated during owners meetings?
I can just go ahead and hate those teams more than I already do, or begin to, if that's the case. This is lame.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

They can play some type of season without the Winter Classic. The NHL needs to prepare for that game.

Quote:
The NHL will not cancel the Winter Classic on Friday and is not expected to do so before Nov. 15.

But exactly when the league, which has locked out the players, will call off the annual outdoor game is the subject of some conjecture, even among those who have spoken to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly. Some sources say Bettman believes Nov. 15 is the last possible day to make a decision because of the preparations involved for the game, between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings and planned for Jan. 1 at the University of Michiganís 115,000-seat stadium.

However, Daly declined to comment on any potential deadlines, saying only that the decision will rest more on the preparations involved for the game rather than the stalled labour negotiations. But a league source suggested Nov. 15 may not be the day an announcement is made.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4843978/

Old
11-02-2012, 07:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Expectation is NHL will cancel Winter Classic later today.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...48253133357057

Old
11-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

A natural disaster like Sandy truly bring out the best and the worst of people. Got people here that lost thier homes, yet still managed to go grab a bag of candy and set up a fold out table where the homes USED to be just to give out candy to the neighborhood kids. Others take the opportunity to rob homes and loot stores.

This whole lockout as this point is petty in the wake of what transpired here on Long Island and the Tri state area in general. Squabbling over a million dollars here, and the lenght of a contract extension there is a bit of a joke. Any player that is tweeting about it, rather than maybe making a donation to the people of Breezy, Long Beach, Seaside, SI, Fire Island, AC, Sayville, Lindy is incredibly norrowminded.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
NHL has internal mtngs today and will talk with PA (phone). Players are hopeful of face to face negotiations this wknd or early next week.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...49819689111552

Old
11-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

"@DarrenDreger: I don't share the optimism of some of my colleagues who see a 2 week delay in Winter Classic cancellation."

Old
11-02-2012, 07:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
A natural disaster like Sandy truly bring out the best and the worst of people. Got people here that lost thier homes, yet still managed to go grab a bag of candy and set up a fold out table where the homes USED to be just to give out candy to the neighborhood kids. Others take the opportunity to rob homes and loot stores.

This whole lockout as this point is petty in the wake of what transpired here on Long Island and the Tri state area in general. Squabbling over a million dollars here, and the lenght of a contract extension there is a bit of a joke. Any player that is tweeting about it, rather than maybe making a donation to the people of Breezy, Long Beach, Seaside, SI, Fire Island, AC, Sayville, Lindy is incredibly norrowminded.
The NBA and their PA. The NFL and their PA. $1M each.

Quote:
The NFL and its players' union and the NBA and its players' union each will donate $1 million to the American Red Cross and other organizations to help in the recovery efforts in the Northeast after Hurricane Sandy.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...-relief-effort

NHL and NHLPA.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The NBA and their PA. The NFL and their PA. $1M each.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...-relief-effort

NHL and NHLPA.
I strongly advise both NHL and NHLPA to pick up a Websters and check out the definition of moral compass.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Bill Daly says he expects the NHL and NHLPA to meet again in the "relatively near future."
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...58765866913792

Old
11-02-2012, 09:09 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I really feel that if the WC goes the season could be toast. Just "another game" or not I think the publicity and notoriety it brings is a huge incentive for owners to get a deal done.

On the flip side, it may also be what finally signals to the players that despite their best efforts they will not be able to out wait the owners.

Either way this situation is just pathetic at this point. I started out being pissed at both sides but am now apathetic. How either could be so selfish and short-sighted is mind-blowing. Add in this weeks events and it is clear how big of a joke this is, especially in the grand scheme of things.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
That is far from the truth.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Bill Daly and Steve Fehr have tentatively agreed on resuming bargaining, however, they've yet to agree on the format, the location, the day

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: In other words, still very early in that discussion however looks like talks should resume at some point soon

Closed Thread