HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have the Blues ever had so much home-grown talent and prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
  #1
jessejames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Carberry, MB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Have the Blues ever had so much home-grown talent and prospects

I've been a Blues' fan since the team began and I can't recall the team ever having as many players that it drafted being key parts. Too, I can't think of a time when it had so many key prospects.
The one other time for player development is the late 70s when the Blues brought in such young players as Federko, Sutter, Babych, Liut, Petterson, Turnbull, and Staniouwski.
Interested to hear/read your thoughts

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
  #2
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Agreed. Back in the Federko days the Blue line was a bit thin but up front high end players Federko, Sutter, Babych(too bad he injured his shoulder), Turnbull, Mullen (undrafted free agent), Gilmore several drafts later, Petterson ( I think aa undrafted free agent like Mullen) and Luit. The Blues gave up several #1 picks for Ramage.

Now, the Blues have done a great job of drafting and using picks and drafted players to aquire more talent. They have all their #1 picks going forward and next draft an extra 2nd and 4th rounder. The Blues are looking good for now and the forseeable future.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:08 PM
  #3
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The IL Side
Country: United States
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 500
Jarmo really hooked us up. All we're waiting on now is to see if we can strike gold to put us over the top...But Tarasenko and Schwartz just might be those guys.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
  #4
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
just saying jori lehtera is leading the league in points so far

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
  #5
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
I've been a Blues' fan since the team began and I can't recall the team ever having as many players that it drafted being key parts. Too, I can't think of a time when it had so many key prospects.
The one other time for player development is the late 70s when the Blues brought in such young players as Federko, Sutter, Babych, Liut, Petterson, Turnbull, and Staniouwski.
Interested to hear/read your thoughts
From ANOTHER Manitoban who has been a Blues Fan since 1967: No! The Blues have NEVER had so much young talent stored up on their roster, plus rights owned. I'm looking forward to their finally winning The Stanley Cup.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:59 PM
  #6
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
We need to keep it up though.

It is easy to be critical of the '90's because we didn't get the Cup, but there needs to be a balance that was completely lacking then. The most promising thing where we have drafted to build our team. It is really easy to overlook the fact that we have only picked 2 players inside the top 10 (EJ & Pietrangelo), I think a lot of opposition fans look at us and think it is easy to draft good players when your team sucks on the ice and assume we've been picking in the top-10 continually.

Tarasenko might be our first "home-run" pick, but we have been outstanding at picking very solid NHL players in the mid-late first round.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
  #7
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Blues ownership financial struggles has played a major role in failing to win a cup. Without parking and concession revenue how can Owne rship ever make any money?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
  #8
Bluesnatic27
Registered User
 
Bluesnatic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
We need to keep it up though.

It is easy to be critical of the '90's because we didn't get the Cup, but there needs to be a balance that was completely lacking then. The most promising thing where we have drafted to build our team. It is really easy to overlook the fact that we have only picked 2 players inside the top 10 (EJ & Pietrangelo), I think a lot of opposition fans look at us and think it is easy to draft good players when your team sucks on the ice and assume we've been picking in the top-10 continually.

Tarasenko might be our first "home-run" pick, but we have been outstanding at picking very solid NHL players in the mid-late first round.
And with the 2013 draft looking like a spectacular draft while also having a stable management with Doug Armstrong being general manager Jesus, I think our drafting will stay outstanding for a bit longer

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
  #9
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
We need to keep it up though.

It is easy to be critical of the '90's because we didn't get the Cup, but there needs to be a balance that was completely lacking then. The most promising thing where we have drafted to build our team. It is really easy to overlook the fact that we have only picked 2 players inside the top 10 (EJ & Pietrangelo), I think a lot of opposition fans look at us and think it is easy to draft good players when your team sucks on the ice and assume we've been picking in the top-10 continually.

Tarasenko might be our first "home-run" pick, but we have been outstanding at picking very solid NHL players in the mid-late first round.
even though he was the 4th overall pick i'd say pietrangelo was a HOME-RUN pick as well. he was a risk back at that draft and now he's become a norris caliber dman. I definitely put him in the top 5 in the league and he's still improving

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:53 AM
  #10
D3Devildog
Step 3: Profit
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
even though he was the 4th overall pick i'd say pietrangelo was a HOME-RUN pick as well. he was a risk back at that draft and now he's become a norris caliber dman. I definitely put him in the top 5 in the league and he's still improving
i don't recall anyone thinking Pietrangelo was a risk at the draft. I believe he was considered to be the least NHL ready (thanks to a bout of mono) but having the highest potential ceiling of the big 3 defensemen that year.

D3Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:51 AM
  #11
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
even though he was the 4th overall pick i'd say pietrangelo was a HOME-RUN pick as well. he was a risk back at that draft and now he's become a norris caliber dman. I definitely put him in the top 5 in the league and he's still improving
I'd say Pietrangelo is a top 3 defenseman in the League, but my reference to the "home-run" pick was about guys we've drafted from playoff teams 1st round picks (14-30 range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Devildog View Post
i don't recall anyone thinking Pietrangelo was a risk at the draft. I believe he was considered to be the least NHL ready (thanks to a bout of mono) but having the highest potential ceiling of the big 3 defensemen that year.
That was a bit of a crazy year. He wasn't a risk, but almost all scouts said the same thing... he had the highest ceiling of the 5 (Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn & Myers being the others) but he was the least likely to come close to their ceiling.

From what I heard at the time, if we had the third pick we would have taken Pietrangelo, the Leafs had Schenn rated above Pietrangelo and the Sabres had Myers either 3rd or 4th on their list and managed to get him at 12. And Karlsson wasn't even in the discussion!

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
  #12
jessejames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Carberry, MB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I don't know what qualifies as a 'home-run' pick, but Pietrangelo at #4 is extra bases at least. I strongly believe that he has the potential to one day be regarded as the best Blues player of all-time.
Another 'extra bases' pick of recent years is Perron. At pick 26 the Blues took a 19-year old (something that's almost unheard of) and he stepped right into the line-up (something that's almost unheard of). Since then he's put up more points than all but three '07 picks.
Perron was a steal that would make Missourians of old Jesse, Frank and Cole proud.
Of the current prospects, Tarasenko and Schwartz warrant the highest expectations -- and for good reason. I really like Rattie though. I just wish he was bigger. In Rattie you have a goal scorer that the current team doesn't.

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
  #13
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
I don't know what qualifies as a 'home-run' pick, but Pietrangelo at #4 is extra bases at least. I strongly believe that he has the potential to one day be regarded as the best Blues player of all-time.
Another 'extra bases' pick of recent years is Perron. At pick 26 the Blues took a 19-year old (something that's almost unheard of) and he stepped right into the line-up (something that's almost unheard of). Since then he's put up more points than all but three '07 picks.
Perron was a steal that would make Missourians of old Jesse, Frank and Cole proud.
Of the current prospects, Tarasenko and Schwartz warrant the highest expectations -- and for good reason. I really like Rattie though. I just wish he was bigger. In Rattie you have a goal scorer that the current team doesn't.
Yeah, in 6 years 1st round picks we acquired
2005: Oshie
2006: EJ-->Shattenkirk and Stewart, Berglund
2007:Eller-->Halak, Cole, Perron
2008: Petro
2009:Rundblad-->Tarasenko
2010: Schwartz

6 forwards, 3 defenders and a goalie, incredibly balanced as well.

Id predict their peak ranks as
Petro
Tarasenko

Shatty
Halak
Oshie
Perron

Berlgund
Schwartz
Stewart

Cole

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.