HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Calgary Flames

Old
10-23-2012, 08:33 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Close to suicidal from a Leafs standpoint.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Compared to top teams in the league and SC calibre teams, how do our centres compare going down the depth chart.

#1 C - no debate, we dont have one
#2 C - I would argue we dont have a C good enough to be a #2 on a SC team. Grabo whos never topped 60 points and lacks size vs guys like M. Richards, Krejci, Sharp, Malkin, Zetterberg, Getzlaf, Brind'Amour, etc. who are all the guys in the #2 spot on SC winners since the last lockout#3 C - Again, compared to SC calibre #3 centres, McClement matches up well defensively, but guys like Stoll, Bolland, Kelly, Staal, etc brought considerably more offence. Connolly? Not nearly good enough defensively.
#4 C - Sure, we have a #4 quality C.

I wouldnt call that depth, if we dont have legitimate centres for the 1-3 positions. Just cause we have guys who play C, doesnt mean its actually good depth if barely any of them can actually fill a role properly.
Kreijci, Brind'Amour and Sharp are not leaps and bounds ahead of Grabovski. If the Leafs win a Cup suddenly Grabovski is not so dubious on that list. Who is the 1C for the Ducks? I thought Getzlaf was their 1C...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Kreijci, Brind'Amour and Sharp are not leaps and bounds ahead of Grabovski. If the Leafs win a Cup suddenly Grabovski is not so dubious on that list. Who is the 1C for the Ducks? I thought Getzlaf was their 1C...
Meant when they won the cup.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Both teams have similar problems (ie. no number one center, poor depth down the middle overall) so I doubt trading maybe the best center on either squad for an underwhelming return is going to fly.

On the plus side, acquiring Jay Bouwmeester would free the Leafs up to trade Dion Phaneuf.
Dion would not be a fan of this trade for that reason; it would be the second time his team traded for Bouwmeester, pushing Phaneuf to the #2 slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRash61 View Post
Not a good deal for the leafs. Grabovski is a great second line center (he's actually our best center). We already traded for Calgarys best dman a few years ago too
Phaneuf was #2 in Calgary. Behind who? Why, Jay Bouwmeester!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
Bouwmeester doesn't beat out Franson with the last years he has had.
Franson>Phaneuf? Because unless Phaneuf has had some kind of career renaissance (he hasn't), that's what you're saying.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacadoh View Post
I was expecting the OP to be a Flames fan. Certainly not a Leafs fan.
Why? Bouwmeester is more valuable to the Flames then Grabovski would be.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:43 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Leafs have to send back a d-man for cap purposes, but it's a good deal for both IMO.

J-Bo, Gardiner and Phaneuph in your top 4 isn't bad.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
This is funny. Fans of both sides think it's absolutely horrible for their team. Grabovski's a 2c and Bouwmeester is a top-2 pairing dman. Both teams say no.

Leafs say no because it leaves a big hole at center.

Calgary says no because it isn't fair value, and Grabovski's contract is outrageous.
Next to J-Bo's contract it sure isn't.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Rhinorage

"Grabovski's contract is outrageous"

That will be the typical response of every drama queen trying to just stir the pot. Grabovski's may be overpaid by $500,000 but that is not outrageous for the amount of money these players get. Anyone who thinks that needs to understand the hockey market better.

Rhinorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:50 PM
FoppaForsberg*

No idea why either team would do this,espically Calgary. Leafs have plenty of Dmen, Toronto would have to add.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:01 AM
HellsBells

Terrible trade for the Flames.

Who's going to replace the minutes Bouwmeester plays?

The Flames are much better off with Cervenka as #2C with Bouwmeester on the backend. Trading Bouwmeester for a slight upgrade at C is not a good move for Calgary.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Christ

Why do the Leafs need another defensemen, especially another of the overpaid, underacheiving variety? I mean don't they already have Komi over here? Last I checked the Leafs were also kind of weak at the center position...makes no sense to trade from a position of weakness to "upgrade" a position where the Leafs look to have some depth.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
Terrible trade for the Flames.

Who's going to replace the minutes Bouwmeester plays?

The Flames are much better off with Cervenka as #2C with Bouwmeester on the backend. Trading Bouwmeester for a slight upgrade at C is not a good move for Calgary.
lol, slight upgrade?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Bouwmeester is cursed. He will never play in the playoffs. The only way it will happen is if he gets traded at the deadline to a team that has already clinched a playoff berth. Even then, he'd get some freak injury a day after the trade and never actually play for the team, who'd go on to win the Cup, but since Bouwmeester wouldn't have played a game, he wouldn't be included on the Cup.

That team would not make the playoffs again...

Sending him to Toronto would cause a black hole to form over the Q.E.W.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:36 PM
FoppaForsberg*

I'd much rather keep Bouwmeester and letting our younger guys do the job, even if the job isn't that great, it'd mean experience for them, and maybe a high pick. Don't want to see another trade for a temporary patch to put off the inevitable. Wouldn't go near Grabovski anyways, Leafs trash

Last edited by FoppaForsberg*: 10-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Hell no. We'd be doing the Flames a favor with that contract. Our defensive core is fine.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
I'd much rather keep Bouwmeester and letting our younger guys do the job, even if the job isn't that great, it'd mean experience for them, and maybe a high pick. Don't want to see another trade for a temporary patch to put off the inevitable. Wouldn't go near Grabovski anyways, Leafs trash
Grabovski is the Leafs hardest worker and brings it every game. When he's on he is dominant. Last guy I'd trade off our roster. Worth every penny.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Hell no. We'd be doing the Flames a favor with that contract. Our defensive core is fine.
so much lol, so little time.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
Wouldn't go near Grabovski anyways, Leafs trash
Wow. Talk about having biased hatred to a player strictly becauseh e wears a certain jersey. I'm guessing you wouldn't want Lupul or Kessel either, right?

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
gabeliscious

why would toronto trade from an area of little depth to acquire another player to fill an area of good depth????

leafs centers = bozak, grabs, lombardi, connolly, steckel, mclemment. i think the common consensus is that only grabs is an actual top 6 center. bozak might be but most people outside of leaf land consider him a 3rd line center.( for the record i think he is a 2b center).

leafs defense = phaneuf, gunnarson, gardiner, liles, komisarek, holzer + prospects reilly, finn, blacker, percy all with nice varying degrees of upside.

bouwmeester - grabs = not an improvement on the leafs. the value is irrelevant because the leafs cant afford to move a center without bringing one back who is as good or better.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:42 AM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Wow. Talk about having biased hatred to a player strictly becauseh e wears a certain jersey. I'm guessing you wouldn't want Lupul or Kessel either, right?
Take Kessel in a heart beat, or Phaneuf, Gardiner, Kadri, Rielly. Not sure about Lupul, take him away from Kessel and I'm not sure if he would keep up that production. Got nothing against the leafs, but If I was Calgary I wouldn't trade with the leafs if it's just for Grabovski.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 712
Flames should never trade with the Maple Leafs ever again. Seems they always find a way to get fleeced...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
FireEverybody*

Leafs can't trade from a weakness for a strength position. No matter how questionable the strength is.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Flames rebuilder

Actually like it better if we add Komi and Stajan in.

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:25 PM
TheSilencer

We have no need for Bowmeester, especially at the expense of our only top 6 center.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:29 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Yeah because Grabovski for 5 years at 5.5m is a totally sweet deal yo!

...I'll gladly keep Bouw for the next 2 years.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote