HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 05:47 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Dillon Fournier has registered a point in ONE out of his last TWELVE games. Disappointing considering how high scoring the Q is and his team has been scoring plenty of goals. He is only 3rd on his team in points for D-Men and Mathieu Brisbois has 36 points as a dman compared to Fournier's 12.

What I don't understand is why we drafted him with a 2nd round pick when he would've probably been there in the 3rd. Hasn't he been a kind of disappointment for being the #1 overall pick in the Q draft? Yet, we apparently don't care about that.

Hopefully, I'm wrong but when I saw him play in the Subway series he doesn't have much standing out for him but his skating. Maybe he'll end up as a good defensive player utilizing his skating and decent size but he'll need to develop better d-zone instincts. Or maybe his offensive skills do end up coming around but I won't hold my breath.
There was no guarantee Fournier was going to be around when the Hawks picked in the third round, that's why they picked him in the second. Too much of stats is based off of ice-time (PP) and linemates.. What PP unit is Fournier on? How much time does he get on the PP per game? What are his defensive/offensive zone starts? There's alot of things that go into producing points. Outside of point production, there's alot to like about Fournier: Size (6'2"), great skating ability, good puck-mover.. he's may not be a great offensive Dman, but he doesn't need to be to impact a game.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Sevanston

Found this on EliteProspects today and thought it was interesting

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...tion=&sort=u20

Despite playing fewer games than most of his peers, Teuvo is still the 3rd highest scorer of SM-Liiga players under 20.

That list also highlights what solid prospects Barkov and Lehkonen are going to be in this year's draft.

EDIT: Extra fun

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44567

In 24GP this season, TT already has more points (19) than he did after 40 SM-Liiga games last season (18).

Last edited by Sevanston: 12-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

2nd highest PpG, despite getting off to a really rough start production-wise (0 points through first 6 games).

I still remember being shocked when I came on the board and there were people upset that Chicago picked Teuvo, who was projected to go in the top-10, at 18th overall. He's such an exciting prospect.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
2nd highest PpG, despite getting off to a really rough start production-wise (0 points through first 6 games).

I still remember being shocked when I came on the board and there were people upset that Chicago picked Teuvo, who was projected to go in the top-10, at 18th overall. He's such an exciting prospect.
So far only one from the draft who is looking better than TT is Yakupov, also he's playing with slighty better players so it's kinda 50-50 at the moment, we'll see better at U20. Also a fact that i happen to know: diens headscout is upset because he didn't get what he wanted from the draft and he wanted to walk away from the draft with TT.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Sevanston

Not surprisingly, 8 points in 2 games earned Danault the QMJHL first star of the week.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

thanks for the writeups guys. Keep them coming

Old
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

canada's wjc camp (mcneill, danault) is now under way. there's an in-camp game tonight that they're streaming live somewhere (TSN website maybe?)

cuts are announced thursday.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:25 PM
thrillhous

Danault had a nice snipe tonight.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:26 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

cdn wjc cuts are thurs - but danault seems 100% on the team and mcneill isn't far behind (this is mcn's last yr to make the team and 'go canada go' aside, it's all political - and i don't see them cutting mc'n this year).

if danault and mc'n both make it on canada's wjc team can we agree, in support of the hawks' prospects, to cheer (as a board) for canada at the wjc...it makes sense, no? if everyone's on board, i can float some Hockey Canada avatars that everyone might be agreeable to using for the next three weeks.

in honour of danault and mcneill?..as hawks prospects?

yes????

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 12-12-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

no.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Unfortunately, I don't think McNeill will be making the team. He's more than good enough, but he's not the kind of big guy HC wants. McNeill can be overpowering and can bring an elite physical game, but that's not really his style.. he leans on guys, but doesn't go all out trying to destroy guys all over the ice.

He's a smart, two-way player who's great along the boards, protects the puck very well and does play physical, but not to the extent I think HC will be looking for and therefore, I think a lesser player like Anthony Cammara or Tom Wilson are more likely to make the team, and it's unfortunate, because McNeill can bring more to the team than either of those players.

I'd have the roster look like:

Rattie - RNH - Schiefele
Huberdeau - Strome - Ritchie
Jenner - Danault - Hudon
Wilson - MacKinnon - McNeill
Drouin/Shinkaruk

Reilly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Sproul - Reinhart
Murphy

Subban
Binnington

Old
12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
cdn wjc cuts are thurs - but danault seems 100% on the team and mcneill isn't far behind (this is mcn's last yr to make the team and 'go canada go' aside, it's all political - and i don't see them cutting mc'n this year).

if danault and mc'n both make it on canada's wjc team can we agree, in support of the hawks' prospects, to cheer (as a board) for canada at the wjc...it makes sense, no? if everyone's on board, i can float some Hockey Canada avatars that everyone might be agreeable to using for the next three weeks.

in honour of danault and mcneill?..as hawks prospects?

yes????

My international hockey backup team is Finland, so no.

They also match the Hawks prospect criteria with TT. We could even end up drafting one of the other players on their roster.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
My international hockey backup team is Finland, so no.

They also match the Hawks prospect criteria with TT. We could even end up drafting one of the other players on their roster.
The only player Chicago really has a chance at, unless they get extremely lucky, is Lehkonen. Personally, I'd rather Chicago takes a Dman this year unless they do get lucky (either draft high from the season being locked out all year, or a player falls unexpectedly) and someone like Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or Shinkaruk are available. I like Lazar, but I don't like him enough to take him over someone like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock or Morissey. And, of course, the Hawks aren't likely to pick the high-end Russian Valeri Nichushkin.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The only player Chicago really has a chance at, unless they get extremely lucky, is Lehkonen. Personally, I'd rather Chicago takes a Dman this year unless they do get lucky (either draft high from the season being locked out all year, or a player falls unexpectedly) and someone like Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or Shinkaruk are available. I like Lazar, but I don't like him enough to take him over someone like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock or Morissey. And, of course, the Hawks aren't likely to pick the high-end Russian Valeri Nichushkin.
I completely agree, and have my eyes set on Ristolainen right now.

I think he's one of the safest defensive prospects in this draft. You don't play top-pairing minutes against men at the age of 18 unless you've got real talent, and projecting him as a solid NHL player hardly sounds like a tall order given what he's already accomplished. Similar to Hampus Lindholm last year (though I liked Lindholm last year more than I do Ristolainen this year).

This draft seems to be pretty deep in forward talent, so I'm hoping to see last year's trend reversed. Everyone will pick the high-end forward talent over the high-end defensive talent, and a player like Ristolainen will fall to us.

Obviously this is all assuming we have a mid-late pick. If we luck into an early pick, all bets are off.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I completely agree, and have my eyes set on Ristolainen right now.

I think he's one of the safest defensive prospects in this draft. You don't play top-pairing minutes against men at the age of 18 unless you've got real talent, and projecting him as a solid NHL player hardly sounds like a tall order given what he's already accomplished. Similar to Hampus Lindholm last year (though I liked Lindholm last year more than I do Ristolainen this year).

This draft seems to be pretty deep in forward talent, so I'm hoping to see last year's trend reversed. Everyone will pick the high-end forward talent over the high-end defensive talent, and a player like Ristolainen will fall to us.

Obviously this is all assuming we have a mid-late pick. If we luck into an early pick, all bets are off.
I'd definitely love to add Ristolainen.. everything I've read about him suggests top-pairing potential, and that's why I don't think he'll be available. One of the things that caused Teravainen to fall, outside of the run on Dmen, was his size.. unlike TT, Risto has great size, and that, combined with his obvious talent, makes him a guaranteed top-10 pick IMO.

Someone like Darnell Nurse (Big Dman, physical, quality puck-mover) seems like a more likely target.. but, as I've said before, the guy I'd really love to draft and the guy I think has huge potential is Josh Morrissey. He hasn't produced as much as I think people expected in PA this year, although he does have 25 points in 31 games, but everything I've read about him sounds like he could be a simular Dman to Justin Schultz.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:54 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Mark McNeill had a strong game for Canada today; only caught the third period, but the announcers liked him and he's gotten positive reviews by HF.. He deserves to be on the team with the year he's had and after getting cut in the first round of cuts last year, after such a strong game before being cut.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
RomersWorld*

I thought he looked pretty good today...he had one really good shift where he went 1 on 4 for the puck on the PK and was able to kill off some time.

He had a big hit but it did go for a penalty, but not anything like Wilson's stupid hit where it was a blatant penalty. When McNeill puts his mind to it and really tries out there he is a great two-way player who is solid offensively and good defensively. But sometimes I see him not backchecking as hard as others.

I'd say he deserves to make the team as a 3rd/4th line winger but to me he looked really good last camp in the scrimmages but ended up one of the 1st cuts, so who knows.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Sevanston

Brandon Whitney got pulled after allowing 4 goals on 17 shots (.765 SVP, 25:26 TOI) in a 6-4 loss to Rimouski.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Hawkaholic

He's been terrible since having a good 5-10 games to start the year. Although, I read that his defense corps isn't so great, 3 rookies and 3 vets that have a combined 200 career JR games. Hard to judge him at this point.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:34 PM
RomersWorld*

He actually has been good the past few games before today. Had his SV% up to .904 which is pretty good for the QMJHL. Still, he is at .902 SV% which is 4th for goalies with at least 20 starts(2 others have 17 starts..not a great sample).

Old
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
RomersWorld*

As more evidence....after the hot start, he had a brutal month but then has been good the rest of the way.

September
2-2-1, 2.38 GAA, .926 SV%
October
3-4, 3.83 GAA, .868 SV%
November
4-3-2, 3.22 GAA, .906 SV%
December
2-2-1, 2.92 GAA, .916 SV% (and that includes tonights bad game which really brought his numbers down)

Old
12-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
As more evidence....after the hot start, he had a brutal month but then has been good the rest of the way.

September
2-2-1, 2.38 GAA, .926 SV%
October
3-4, 3.83 GAA, .868 SV%
November
4-3-2, 3.22 GAA, .906 SV%
December
2-2-1, 2.92 GAA, .916 SV% (and that includes tonights bad game which really brought his numbers down)
I guess he has turned it around a bit in December, but I haven't been paying attentionto him as much lately. I just remember him having terrible numbers for quite a while there after a very good start.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Anything above a .900Sv% in the Q is good. Zach Fucale, the most hyped goaltending prospect in a while and the guy most likely to be the first goaltender selected in the draft has a Sv% of .891.. playing on the #1 rated team in the CHL.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:08 PM
thrillhous

McNeil was cut. I feel bad for him, but with the lockout in place it was always going to be tough for him to make that team.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:16 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
McNeil was cut. I feel bad for him, but with the lockout in place it was always going to be tough for him to make that team.
I get the feeling that he was cut before the tryouts even took place.

Closed Thread