HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Also doesn't help in Olsen's eyes when I look at Leddy who was drafted same year in same 1st round and progress he has made (Still has long way to go defensively of course)

Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
No one's pulling the plug on him yet

But being "meh" about a 22-year-old 1st round pick who you don't think will ever move past the bottom pair at the NHL level sounds pretty fair to me.
Some people have, though. BWC hasn't to my knowledge, wasn't my intention to state that he has so my apologies for that. I still think it's early to "meh", personally, but that's just my opinion. Defensemen have to be looked at under a different microscope. Comparing him to Leddy, while I understand it, is a little unfair because of how naturally gifted a skater Leddy is. Olsen will never remotely move like that, but then there aren't a ton of defensemen in the league even currently who do. Leddy's another one some people already have given up on or are ready to which baffles me even more but that's neither here nor there.

I wish I could see more of Olsen, I've heard he has indeed been "meh" this year by some people's accounts. A late first-rounder turning out to be a bottom-pairing guy isn't an ideal outcome, but I'm not ready to say that's where he's going to wind up yet.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Hawkaholic

I don't really care about Olsen, because picking at 28 or 29, w/e it was, is a crap shoot anyway. But missing out on 2 top 10 picks so badly like Tallon did, is unforgivable.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
hawksfan50

Just a reminder ALERT: the ICEHOGS game in Toronto against the Marlies this SATURDAY JAN 5th will be shown on SPORTSNET (all regions) in CANADA -game time is 3pm EST ...

So for us Blackhawks fans living in Canada it will be one of the rare chances to see our AHL farm prospects in action ...

Old
01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I don't really care about Olsen, because picking at 28 or 29, w/e it was, is a crap shoot anyway. But missing out on 2 top 10 picks so badly like Tallon did, is unforgivable.
I believe it was 28.

And you are right. There's no doubt you can't fan on two top-10 picks like that. That can't happen.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Just a reminder ALERT: the ICEHOGS game in Toronto against the Marlies this SATURDAY JAN 5th will be shown on SPORTSNET (all regions) in CANADA -game time is 3pm EST ...

So for us Blackhawks fans living in Canada it will be one of the rare chances to see our AHL farm prospects in action ...
I will be at the game, first live AHL game for me.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I'm as big of a Tallon supporter as you'll find round these parts, and I've soured on Olsen already. Really, really a bad skater and not very bright in his own zone.

Still the whole "gimme pick" arguement is stupid. I can show you plenty of "gimme picks" which devastated franchises.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Relax, Olsen had high praise in his stint here...now everyone hates the guy.

If you took the way Seabrook skates(he is good but not lightening fast) and said can Olsen reach that speed and positional prowess? I think it is very possible.

Just like the way Stalberg improved at age 26 like many of you didn't see happening, and Stalberg did just that being one of the best players in the NHL (offensively) with basically 0 PP time.
If Olsen can develop in a poor man's Seabs in 2 seasons as a 24 year old who can bump people away from our average goaltending I am happy.

Olsen in two seasons:
-Big hitting
-Physical
-good point shot
-crease clearing
-PK performer

Poor man's Seabs

Old
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Praise from whom? Olsen looked like a 20 year younger SO'D.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

he performed admirably based on the standard of being really raw during his time in the NHL.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Sevanston

Precisely.

Olsen got praise for being an okay bottom pairing defenseman at 21 years old.

As he gets older, being an okay bottom-pairing defenseman isn't something to praise anymore.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

My opinion, Olsen is a stiff. Id rather see Stanton than Olsen. Teams hate to give up on first rounders but Barker anyone. How about DP. Took the Hawks long enough to finally give up on him. What a pick DP was. Reached way down to grab him in the second with Jamie McBain picked right behind.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

sure, as rookie he will get praise for this. He just needs to develop more and work more to get this done

Old
01-04-2013, 08:01 AM
BobbyJet

Double post.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
BobbyJet

Attending the game against Hamilton Bulldogs tonight. Iíll finally get to see some of our prospects in action.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
ChiefWampum

I haven't seen the Hogs play much this year, but when Olsen was up last season, he was the only defenseman I saw consistently clear the crease. If nothing else, I hope that is contagious. The Hawks are by far the softest team in front of its own net. That needs to change.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I'm as big of a Tallon supporter as you'll find round these parts, and I've soured on Olsen already. Really, really a bad skater and not very bright in his own zone.

Still the whole "gimme pick" arguement is stupid. I can show you plenty of "gimme picks" which devastated franchises.
I agree. There's no such thing as a sure-thing in any sport. You never know for sure and even a sure-shot "can't-miss" can be miss. It's all a crapshoot.

Alexandre Daigle is one that comes to mind immediately.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
I agree. There's no such thing as a sure-thing in any sport. You never know for sure and even a sure-shot "can't-miss" can be miss. It's all a crapshoot.

Alexandre Daigle is one that comes to mind immediately.
There was no other choice but Kane in 2007

Hawks needed face of franchise with #1 pick (1st one in team history)

JVR was too raw to select and Turris was playing inferior competition

Hawks weren't passing up the Golden Boy American in Kane #1

That was not a pick that could be missed ,, If He would have busted like Daigle it would have been "Oh well he was the best prospect"

I dont believe credit should be given for selecting the #1 prospect with #1 pick

Old
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
There was no other choice but Kane in 2007

Hawks needed face of franchise with #1 pick (1st one in team history)

JVR was too raw to select and Turris was playing inferior competition

Hawks weren't passing up the Golden Boy American in Kane #1

That was not a pick that could be missed ,, If He would have busted like Daigle it would have been "Oh well he was the best prospect"

I dont believe credit should be given for selecting the #1 prospect with #1 pick
You're missing the point entirely. Not speaking just about Kane, but in general in any sports. A number one prospect going number one in the draft doesn't mean they're going to turn out to be worth a ****. There's no such thing as a guarantee and even though he was considered the number one prospect there was still risk of him busting out given his size and every other negative scouts gave him at the time. I'm not giving Tallon "credit" for it, I think any GM probably would've taken Kane I'm guessing for the most part. But generally speaking people talking of first-rounders being "gimmes" I simply don't agree with. There's plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise, even within this organization as we clearly know.

And if you don't think people would've been all over Tallon if Kane turned out to be **** you're completely crazy. Anytime anyone misses on a number 1 overall pick they get hell for it. It's the nature of the business, right or wrong. As many people that have a hate-boner in here for Tallon would call for his head on a stick for it. C'mon.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

I dont blame GM's when clear cut #1's fail

I cant bash the Daigle pick because he was the most talked about guy to come from QMJHL since Mario. There was no other that year at time ,, He was going #1

Only extreme examples are worhty of laughter/scorn

2007 Oakland Raiders selection of QB Jamarcus Russell for instance.. Many people knew that was awful pick the moment it was made

Passing up Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas at time was headscratcher ,, Today it looks absolutely embarrassing

Old
01-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Sevanston

EDIT: This post fits better in the WJC thread. Delete.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

agree with BWC on #1 prospect as #1 is a gimme. Kane was a gimme as was Crosby as was OV as was RNH as was Daigle.
If they bust, we say hindsight is 20/20

Old
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I dont blame GM's when clear cut #1's fail

I cant bash the Daigle pick because he was the most talked about guy to come from QMJHL since Mario. There was no other that year at time ,, He was going #1

Only extreme examples are worhty of laughter/scorn

2007 Oakland Raiders selection of QB Jamarcus Russell for instance.. Many people knew that was awful pick the moment it was made

Passing up Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas at time was headscratcher ,, Today it looks absolutely embarrassing
Personally I think the Raiders knew it was an awful pick too, but then again, its the Raiders. No team bit into the whole "late rising combine champion" more then the Raiders.

Russell, Maclin, and the kicker they wasted a first rounder on, thats almost as putrid as Angelo's first round resume.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
HjamSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Personally I think the Raiders knew it was an awful pick too, but then again, its the Raiders. No team bit into the whole "late rising combine champion" more then the Raiders.

Russell, Maclin, and the kicker they wasted a first rounder on, thats almost as putrid as Angelo's first round resume.
Russell wasn't a combine champion, he killed it in his bowl game.

They drafted Darius Heyward-Bey, not Jeremy Maclin.

The kicker is Sebastian Janikowski who is awesome.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
RomersWorld*

Great stream going here:

http://atdhenet.tv/52563/watch-rockf...oronto-marlies

Closed Thread