HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' Diaz Impressive In Switzerland

Old
11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Yozzy

vCash: 500
Habs' Diaz Impressive In Switzerland

Not sure if this has been passed around yet or not, it's just over a week old, but a good read on one of my favourite players.

Possible any of this success translates to the NHL?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...940/story.html

Yozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

22 games, 22 points, +18.

He's killing it.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post

He's killing it.
He's really one of those guys I just couldn't wait to see play this year, along with Emelin and Eller.

Kid's got some good hockey sense in him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:18 PM
NewHabsEra*

Most underrated Habs player no doubt..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Yozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's really one of those guys I just couldn't wait to see play this year, along with Emelin and Eller.

Kid's got some good hockey sense in him.
Completely agreed. All three I was hoping to see play and improve this year.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post

He's killing it.
At the same age Streit have had 24 pts in 37 NLA games (02/03). Nowdays NLA should be stronger than almost decade ago, so Diaz stats looks even more impressive. Only "doubt" about his current stats could be the fact that he is playing in the same unit with Brunner, Zetterberg and Omark which is easier path to get a lot of points.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Yozzy

Are there any pretty highlights from this season? He's got some nice ones from his previous tenures I believe.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozzy View Post
Are there any pretty highlights from this season? He's got some nice ones from his previous tenures I believe.
Bluewin.ch then go to hockey and you should find highlights.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:07 PM
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.

vCash: 187
I seriously don't see how Bouillon is supposed to be higher on the depth chart than Diaz.

thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
chadwilliams

Quote:
here you go (goals from yesterday's game between zug (diaz, zetterberg, brunner) and davos (thornton, nash)):

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...sset_id=135530

chadwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
I seriously don't see how Bouillon is supposed to be higher on the depth chart than Diaz.
I think it has to do with the type of pairing you have, ex if Markov is paired with Emelin, and Gorges with Subban, there is a mix of size and a puck moving d-men, a pairing of Kaberle and Diaz would be too soft IMO, hence Bouillon.

IMO when/if Markov proves that he can stay in the lineup, Kaberle is a goner, can easily be moved for a 2nd round pick or something (ex Marke Zidlicky for those that are gonna say Kaberle isn't worth anything). And you can simply move Bouillon to LD play him with Daiz.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
Therrien, that's how.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

One thing I noticed last year, was that he was very good positional, I think that was one of the reason JM use to play him instead of Emelin early on, JM system was always being in position to block shots, something Diaz was already good at, and something Emelin is still learning.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Therrien, that's how.
We have a depth chart that was disclosed to the public?

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
We have a depth chart that was disclosed to the public?
We know that Therrien has a massive mancrush on the cube.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Maxpac

I like Diaz, but last season he completely blew it on the power play. The kid had the chance to play with Subban early in the season but for some reason refused to feed him for the 1-timer.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I like Diaz, but last season he completely blew it on the power play. The kid had the chance to play with Subban early in the season but for some reason refused to feed him for the 1-timer.
I wouldn't say blew it, the guy wasn't even expected to play in the NHL to start the year, plus he is a RH shot, and so is Subban, so making those passes are much harder to make, specially for a rookie.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
ChoseLa

Don't forget that Diaz was said to be playing with a nagging injury from early in the season till he was finaly out of the line-up because of the injury.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:22 PM

I just hope he has improved his strength. Big difference in strength in the NHL and NLA.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Andy

Diaz is another one of those players that is overlooked because he lacks size and physicality. One area of his game that is seriously underrated is his gap control. He has very good positioning and vision. Unfortunately, I think his size may prevent him from being a top 4 guys, but he is more than adequate as a bottom pairing guy. Given his age and salary, he's pretty a great option. I'm never worried when this guy is on the ice.

The one thing he does need to work on is to realize that he actually had more time to make plays then he thought he had. We often saw him rushing plays thinking he had very little space to make a decision when he in fact dad. Kudos to the scout for identifying his talent and Kudos to Gauthier for offering him a contract.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Yozzy

Hopefully Therrien gives him some chances out there... he molded Letang right?

Old
11-29-2012, 12:12 PM
NewBlood

Quote:
Hopefully Therrien gives him some chances out there... he molded Letang right?
No doubt. Letang would be a 3rd pairing d-man at best if it wasn't for MT.

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Diaz is another one of those players that is overlooked because he lacks size and physicality. One area of his game that is seriously underrated is his gap control. He has very good positioning and vision. Unfortunately, I think his size may prevent him from being a top 4 guys, but he is more than adequate as a bottom pairing guy. Given his age and salary, he's pretty a great option. I'm never worried when this guy is on the ice.

The one thing he does need to work on is to realize that he actually had more time to make plays then he thought he had. We often saw him rushing plays thinking he had very little space to make a decision when he in fact dad. Kudos to the scout for identifying his talent and Kudos to Gauthier for offering him a contract.
I think he could be a second pairing with a monster like Tinordi with him. He was solid last season but he was redundant with a bums like Kaberle/Campoli and another undersized guy in Weber all getting time where Emelin brought something different to the D. He will be in a better situation whenever the next season starts.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I think he could be a second pairing with a monster like Tinordi with him. He was solid last season but he was redundant with a bums like Kaberle/Campoli and another undersized guy in Weber all getting time where Emelin brought something different to the D. He will be in a better situation whenever the next season starts.
Habs would have been wise to look for a legit 2nd pair RD to play with Markov. The Emelin-Diaz pairing was quite good at one point and I agree with you, Diaz needs a hulking type partner to help some shield his weaknesses. Very smart player positionally, no question about that. Along the boards and infront of the net is where he tends to struggle more so.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-?
Emelin-Diaz

Considering Kaberle is likely still in the mix, in terms of balancing things out..

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
Emelin-Diaz

Gorges game likely to take a hit from having to cover Kaberle, but it should also make it a useful pairing. Emelin-Diaz despite inexperience are relatively solid defensively. Gorges can play with Subban in the dying minutes and the PK.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:46 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Even physically, he was surprising for his size..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote