HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
MacKinnon better bring it on Friday vs Gatineau in that nationally televised game or else I will start wondering if he's a tad overhyped.

This is 3-4 times I've see him on TV over the last 2 seasons and I haven't been wowed once.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:31 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Would MacKinnon be as hyped if he were not a 5'11" offensive center from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia?

Old
11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Et le But

One thing that concerns me about all these Q prospects...

I know it's only one game, and I know the last two Memorial Cup winners come from the league...but it's pretty obvious to me the Q doesn't have very strong defensive depth. The best teams in the Q are perhaps the best in the CHL but after that you don't have the same depth, especially on the back end.

So while it's obviously this years Q forward class has a lot of talent, I can't help but to wonder that a lot of these guys have bigger adjustments than we may think...I was actually more impressed with Hudon than a lot of the bigger names.

Now the Russians on the other hand...wow, plenty of skill there.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Would MacKinnon be as hyped if he were not a 5'11" offensive center from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia?
1) He's definately not 5'11, no matter what the Q site says. He's probably close to 6'2.

2) Yes, he would. He's a very special talent, best prospect since Tavares, no doubt in my mind.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
I am not sure what the Rangers saw in Stephan Matteau. He's listed as 6-2, 215 but seldom used it to his advantage in this game. My son suggested he might have had an off-day. I was impressed by D Samuel Carrier, a Capital's 2010 pick.
Matteau is a DEvils prospect, and Carrier wasn't signed by Washington I believe, thus the reason he's in the Q at 20.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:54 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Well he's not 5'11 and yes he would be.... The sid comparisons are just an aside, and stupid lol.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:56 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
MacKinnon better bring it on Friday vs Gatineau in that nationally televised game or else I will start wondering if he's a tad overhyped.

This is 3-4 times I've see him on TV over the last 2 seasons and I haven't been wowed once.
He has these games from time to time, but he didn't look good... If he was in his natural position and not play for the 3rd time in 48 hours, I'd expect more from him....

Once he goes back to center and is rested on wednesday, there's no excuse, he needs to be better.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Et le But

Mackinnon isn't as good as Crosby, or even Taveres, but I think it's absurd to say he's only hyped because of where he's from...people on the general board are now saying he's not going to be anything more than a 30 goal winger....

Old
11-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Rikiki Bousquet

Was at the game tonight.

The first period was very intense, but the two periods that followed were less action packed.

In short, I found that Grigorenko, Yakupov and Nesterov showed the more potential. Yakupov was very intimidating the few times he actually cared to skate. At one point in the game, the coach couldn't understand the ref, so he was asked to translate for them. Grigorenko was very uneven in his implication tonight. He floated from time to time, but, in general, he looked good. In the second or third period, MacKinnon checked Grigs and he hated it, you could see it in his eyes and he skated the whole ice with very surprising speed and intensity. He had vision and skill ; he just needs to though up a little bit And be more consistent. He seems to be a pretty nice guy : every time he skated near the bench and people in the stands were saying hi to him he smiled. I know it doesn't have nothing to do with hockey, but I just can't hate the guy.

As for the Q team, I was very disappointed with the defence. None of them made a big impression of me. The only good ones were Ouellet and Fournier, but even them didn't look very good and, mostly, stable. The players that showed the most potential in offence were Huberdeau, Mackinnon and Mantha. As for Hudon, he was the only one that was good in all three zones, constantly breaking plays or creating ones. Between plays, I was pleasantly surprised to see him go talk to his teammates and showing great leadership.

The game itself wasn't overly fun, but it was a great appetizer for the WCJ's.
I don't know how I'll manage to wait for this year's edition. Begin already !

Old
11-06-2012, 07:25 AM
BigHab*

My bad...meant to type the Devils for Matteau...but my opinion remains the same, at least according to Sunday's game, he did very little to excite us and we left wondering why he was chosen in first round. As to Carrier...the Caps picked him but refused to sign him. I am surprised no one jumped on him this past summer. He logged a lot of ice time Sunday and was impressive. Perhaps the Habs may take a look at him at some point.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:35 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
1) He's definately not 5'11, no matter what the Q site says. He's probably close to 6'2.

2) Yes, he would. He's a very special talent, best prospect since Tavares, no doubt in my mind.
Maybe you should watch the OHL, there's a kid there named Connor McDavid who's only 15 and already playing very well, pretty sure everyone will agree that he's a better prospect than Nathan.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
newtown33

Was at the game last night. Basically, the Q had two good lines (McKinnon/Huberdeau and Hudon/Danault) and 1 dman. Few observations...

Marcoux: Played so bad it wasn't funny, battled with the puck all night...

Ouellet: Wow, he controlled the play when he was on the ice. Definitly on the team comes Christmas.

Other dmen: Wasn't impressed by any of them.

McKinnon: He's big, very agile on his skates, but he didn't impress me last night...thought he played much better when moved to center

Huberdeau: Played like he hate the Russians, was looking for a spark and made things happened, best player for the Q last night.

Hudon: Played very good, alwalys active and made things happened. Liked him a lot...

Dea: That wa sabout time the coach took him off the big line. That line started playing good when Dea was demoted for Mantha

Mantha: He's huge! Looked very good when moved to the big line.

Carrier: Invisible...

Grigorenko: Good game, he made some incredible passes...

Yakupov: He's gonna put up some points, but wouldn't build my team around him.

Vasilevski: Wow! He put on a show last night, he's agile and battles to the end, he's very hard to beat

Old
11-06-2012, 09:03 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Maybe you should watch the OHL, there's a kid there named Connor McDavid who's only 15 and already playing very well, pretty sure everyone will agree that he's a better prospect than Nathan.
I don't.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

MacKinnon is still an exceptional prospect to me. I wouldn't call him overhyped at all. I would keep in mind two things:
1) He was playing on the wing, not his natural position.
2) This is probably the biggest stage MacKinnon has played on so far, in terms of national exposure. Nervousness is forgiveable, and MacKinnon did look nervous to me last night.

I've seen MacKinnon play quite a few times this year. His two worst games I've watched were both televised - the Drummondville game last month and the Super Series game last night. But even his worst games don't give me pause to mention him alongside the likes of Tavares and Stamkos. He's worthy of their company IMO.

Coincidentally enough, he was without Drouin for both those games. I never would have suspected Drouin of "making" MacKinnon look any better than he already is, but maybe he brings more to the duo than I initially thought.

Some of my own thoughts, cross-posted from our CHL prospects thread here:

Quote:
From the Q I was impressed by Hudon, Ouellet, Tesink, Paquette and Culkin. Not impressed by Marcoux, MacKinnon, Mantha, Dea, Oligny, Andrews.

Grigorenko has been Russia's best forward by far, and Vasilevski is playing great.

Really wish we could've seen Nichushkin and Kucherov though.
Don't have much to say about the 2013's.
Mantha is still something of an enigma to me - he was throwing around his body a bit but didn't show much of his skills and I thought his stride looked terribly choppy, something I didn't notice when I saw him play a couple of weeks ago. Maybe something we can chalk up to fatigue?

MacKinnon looked completely out of sorts on the wing, made some brutal passes and lost the handle a few times - totally unlike him. Looked nervous but finally settled down in the 3rd when he played centre.

Zykov looked good, one of Russia's better forwards. Didn't notice Carrier hardly at all. I know some people like Dea as an overager, but I didn't see much that would translate beyond junior.

Last edited by hototogisu: 11-06-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old
11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
It's so heartwarming to know that the Habs have a 1st round pick and three 2nd round picks after all the years they didn't have one or the other.The timing couldn't be better for the rebuilding Habs,the 2013 draft looks so deep the Habs could draft four players with top six potential and maybe another in the 3rd round.If there is no NHL hockey played this season,I wonder how the UFA signings will go this summer.It might serve the Habs well to trade a veteran player or two for another couple of picks for the 2014 draft.It would be nice to have three picks in the 1st round next year like Columbus has this year,Sam Rinehart is on my shopping list can never have too many Centers.My favorite player for this draft like lots of Hab fans Johnathan Drouin,followed closely by many other QMJHL players,this could be another special draft for the Habs & fans.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
MaxLacoste

Here's the players I'm looking closely for the next draft and that I want the Habs to pick. I order them in round.

First Round (Except the obvious Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones and Mohanan that I would take in that order):

-Jonathan Drouin: Very skill playmaker/gamebreaker that could go between 4-10 overall, where Montreal could pick if there's a season. Should perfectly compliment the style of Galchenyuk.
-Adam Erne: Great goalscorer with some size. Could be pick between 10-20 overall.
-Anthony Mantha: My choice if we don't pick Drouin. Goalscorer with great size/skating. Would make a deadly line: Mantha - Galchenyuk - Pacioretty. If we pick Drouin and he's still available in the end of the 1st round, trade every 2nd round picks to get him.
-Nikita Zarodov: Very big defenseman with offensive skill. Very physical. A young defense with Zadorov-Tinordi-Beaulieu-Ellis-Subban-Gorges would be deadly and very physical.

Second round:

-Jordan Subban: You never have enough player like PK Subban and his little brother look a lot like him. Jordan don't have the upside of his older brother but he have the same attitude and character. Could be a great 5-6 D.
-Anthony Duclair: Very skilled foward who could see the same fate has a other Habs pick, Sebastian Collberg. Could drop in the 2nd round because of the depth of this draft. Top finishing ability.
-Frederik Gauthier: Huge center with good puck protection ability. Could be our 2nd center. Great upside.
-Tyler Hill: 6ft.6, 220lbs. Could become our Lucic. Don't have his offensive ceiling but could play in the Top 6.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Just curios, is Mads Elller eligible for this years draft? And if he is, where do you suppose he'll go?

Old
11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Just curios, is Mads Elller eligible for this years draft? And if he is, where do you suppose he'll go?
Yes, probably 3rd or 4th round, but who knows. If I remember correctly, he's considered a "C" skater by the scouts.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
2) This is probably the biggest stage MacKinnon has played on so far, in terms of national exposure. Nervousness is forgiveable, and MacKinnon did look nervous to me last night.
Agreed. I've never seen him so uncomfortable and out of sorts. Middle of the ice at the top of circles on the PP seemed very weird to see him play wing. When moved back to center he played better.

Quote:
Coincidentally enough, he was without Drouin for both those games. I never would have suspected Drouin of "making" MacKinnon look any better than he already is, but maybe he brings more to the duo than I initially thought.
Drouin brings a lot to the duo because of his exceptional passing and hands. He'll take two players with him and stickhandle out of it to create space for MacKinnon, which certainly makes them better... MacKinnon was still noticeable and dominant without him, but they compliment each other nicely...

Old
11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
-Adam Erne: Great goalscorer with some size. Could be pick between 10-20 overall.
Imo will go higher. There's a plethora of power forwards out of the Q this season with Erne, Mantha, Carrier, Gauthier... I believe he's the best one, with the best chance at having success in the bigs. Skates pretty well, very strong and can dominate offensively.... He has the potential to go top 10 with the way his game projects to the NHL, but as you said... depth... lots of it. Mantha and Gauthier are good back up options for power from the Q...

Old
11-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

even tho he won't get drafted....signed by Habs

17 games
11 goals
12 asst
23 pts...

Old
11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
NewHabsEra*

After the outstanding draft we had last year, drafting Drouin this year would be the cherry on the cake!!

Old
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
MUCH better game by MacKinnon tonight.

Drouin is awesome.

Carrier has been very quiet again.

Nichushkin has had some flashes.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Drouin is playing very good hockey. Everytime he touches the puck, something happens.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
MacKinnon is still an exceptional prospect to me. I wouldn't call him overhyped at all. I would keep in mind two things:

I've seen MacKinnon play quite a few times this year. His two worst games I've watched were both televised - the Drummondville game last month and the Super Series game last night. But even his worst games don't give me pause to mention him alongside the likes of Tavares and Stamkos. He's worthy of their company IMO.
No way from me. Not yet at least. I don't see that special hockey sense those other two have. I'm not sold on him even going 1st overall this year. From what I've seen, he'll be a dynamic goal scorer, but I can't say that I see him as an elite franchise conerstone. He's got a lot of time to prove me wrong though..

Connor Mcdavid is a SPECIAL player, Mack has nothing on him IMO.

Closed Thread