HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 09:12 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
So let's say we finish around 10th overall, with Shinkaruk/Monahan/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov already selected.

If we were to pick a forward, between Mantha, Gauthier, Erne, Duclair, and Lindholm, who do we pick?

I'd say Erne.
Lindholm
Erne
Mantha
Gauthier
Duclair.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:35 AM
MXD

If Erne is available at 10...
PICK ERNE ASAP.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't see Erne as a top 10 talent. He's a guy that should go in the 15-25 range.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
I'd take Lazar if that scenario happens even though he's off to a timid start in the WHL.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Habnot

Really was not impressed with Mantha in the Super Series and he was given a spot on the top power play unit. I thought they were trying to showcase him, but he loked somewhat out of his element playing with MacKinnon, Drouin and Huberdeau.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:09 AM
S Bah

Quote:
So let's say we finish around 10th overall, with Shinkaruk/Monahan/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov already selected.

If we were to pick a forward, between Mantha, Gauthier, Erne, Duclair, and Lindholm, who do we pick?

I'd say Erne.
Going BPA it would be Lindholm,after him,for me it would be Mantha,Gauthier,Erne and last Duclair.If either Ristolainen or Pulock are still there it would be extremely hard to pass on them,Pulock is actually my favorite between the two and Fucale if still available.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:13 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

There's also that Russian in the mix.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:42 AM
OneSharpMarble

I tend to shy away from drafting the older players like Mantha and Carrier.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Et le But

Quote:

I'd say Erne.

Lindholm (who is closer to a top 5 pick IMO, if he drops I'd be celebrating. Best Swedish forward prospect since Backstrom)

Erne
Mantha

Gauthier
Duclair

Old
11-10-2012, 10:54 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Lindholm (who is closer to a top 5 pick IMO, if he drops I'd be celebrating. Best Swedish forward prospect since Backstrom)

Erne
Mantha

Gauthier
Duclair
Yea Lindholm is certainly above Shinkaruk who I doubt is even 5'10".

Old
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
PICK ERNE ASAP.
Yes. If MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Drouin, Shinkaruk and Pulock are already gone. But even at that, Lazar and Nichushkin are still there.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:02 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
There's also that Russian in the mix.
Valeri Nichushkin? He is 6"3 and almost 200lbs. He would be a perfect player for Montreal to draft. But there is the Russian factor.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Valeri Nichushkin? He is 6"3 and almost 200lbs. He would be a perfect player for Montreal to draft. But there is the Russian factor.
As long as they do their research first, assuming he's interested in playing in the NHL he's ahead of all of those except Lindholm IMO. I hear he plays selfish though. But we are talking about high skilled power forward potential.

The other guy I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is Burakowsky.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:39 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Yea he has all the tools, it's just those other things like NHL desire, and character that one worries about. I definitely have him above Shinkaruk though, who reminds me too much of Gallagher. Not that that is a bad thing, just we already have a Gallagher.

For me it's

mackinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Drouin
Nichushkin
Shinkaruk

Among forwards. (at the moment)

Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 11-10-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old
11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
That

I have no doubts about Nichushkin's skill level, but I do about his hockey sense. In my very limited viewings of him, he doesn't use his teammates enough and never seems to be in positions. I see him just stand around behind the net or along the boards when he could be slipping away to get a scoring chance.

He's got a tantalizing package of size, speed and skill, but he strikes me as a player who has all the tools, but no tool box.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:43 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I have no doubts about Nichushkin's skill level, but I do about his hockey sense. In my very limited viewings of him, he doesn't use his teammates enough and never seems to be in positions. I see him just stand around behind the net or along the boards when he could be slipping away to get a scoring chance.

He's got a tantalizing package of size, speed and skill, but he strikes me as a player who has all the tools, but no tool box.
So a sort of Latendresse or Pouliot?

Old
11-10-2012, 01:00 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Yea he has all the tools, it's just those other things like NHL desire, and character that one worries about. I definitely have him above Shinkaruk though, who reminds me too much of Gallagher. Not that that is a bad thing, just we already have a Gallagher.

For me it's

mackinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Drouin
Nichushkin
Shinkaruk

Among forwards. (at the moment)
I dont think Shinkaruk and Gallagher are THAT similar. Gallagher is more of an annoying player that plays with energy and can score from about anywhere. Shinkaruk is a finesse player.

For me:

1-10: MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Drouin and Shinkaruk.
11-20: Nichushkin, Erne, Burakovsky, Gauthier and Domi. If Lazar is available at this point then sure.
21-30: Lekhonen, Dickinson, De La Rose, Compher, Duclair and Kujawinski. If Rychel is still available then sure.

Those picks in that order.
21-30:

Old
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Rikiki Bousquet

Imo, I'd take Nichushkin before Erne. Didn't like Erne that much after my viewings, while Nichushkin made a good impression on me. He wasn't dominant at the Subway series, but he reminded me very much of a young Patches : skates fast, big body, good athletics, etc.

But I admit that I maybe saw Erne in his worst games, and for that I might change opinion before the draft.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:10 PM
That

Quote:
So a sort of Latendresse or Pouliot?
Not really. Well all three have similar levels of skill, it's the style of game that is different. Latendresse and Pouliot both have a tendency to go invisible for long periods of time. Very rarely do they also involve themselves along the boards and in front of the net. From what I've seen of Nichushkin, he heavily involves himself in the play and is willing to battle it to get the puck.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Not really. Well all three have similar levels of skill, it's the style of game that is different. Latendresse and Pouliot both have a tendency to go invisible for long periods of time. Very rarely do they also involve themselves along the boards and in front of the net. From what I've seen of Nichushkin, he heavily involves himself in the play and is willing to battle it to get the puck.
I just meant the "all the tools but no toolbox part".
As long as he gives 100% all the time, I would take him before Erne. You can teach a player to use his teammates more and fix his flaws.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:

Totally agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
PICK ERNE ASAP.
Also agree here. He has a great frame at 6'2 and he has a very powerful, low and efficient skating stride. He goes into the corners and wins battles. He goes to the slot and has a pretty nifty release. His puck skills are not top 10 quality, but his hockey IQ, work ethic, scoring instincts and size are. Perfect compliment to Galchenyuk IMO.

Quote:
I just meant the "all the tools but no toolbox part".
As long as he gives 100% all the time, I would take him before Erne. You can teach a player to use his teammates more and fix his flaws.
Not so sure about this. Hockey IQ and vision are two things that I personally believe someone has or does not have. Its the most pivotal characteristic a player needs to make it in the NHL IMO.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
delete

Last edited by Rise from the Ashes: 11-10-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: delete
Old
11-10-2012, 04:10 PM
LeHabsMan

Not so sure about this. Hockey IQ and vision are two things that I personally believe someone has or does not have. Its the most pivotal characteristic a player needs to make it in the NHL IMO.[/QUOTE]

I personally like what I saw from Nichushkin, the few times I saw his action. Given it was only highlights and streams. He does evrything right on the ice other than using his teammates and positioning himself for his teammates.

I agree that you cant teach hockey IQ but as for the vision, you can solve that by practices and telling him his mistakes. He wont have elite vision but it can still be good enough for the NHL.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:45 PM
LesCanadiensSontLą

Hey guys, maybe some of you know about it, and maybe it was talked about in this thread before (haven't search...), but there is a podcast on the upcoming draft on TSN, with two guys from TSN and Craig Button. It's pretty interesting, in the October 31st episode, they talked about JC Lipon (comparing him to Tanner Pearson), he also talked about Ekblad. They also talked a lot about the Halifax kids. Craig Button says that Drouin is climbing in his rankings, he is now in his top 5!

Anyway, it is another source for information about the draft. Here's the link if you are interested. You can also download it on Itunes (TSN Draftcenter).

http://www.tsn.ca/window/podcastcent...id=13527&id=65

Old
11-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Drouin with a goal and 2 more assists so far today. Just ripping it up.

MacKinnon has no points, so Drouin is not leaching off of him.

Closed Thread