HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 12:27 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Is Pulock as good offensively as Morgan Reilly?
Definite no. He's good but I don't think he's as intelligent as Rielly and that's a big difference.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:51 AM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Definite no. He's good but I don't think he's as intelligent as Rielly and that's a big difference.
How does he stack up defensively as compared to Reilly?

Old
11-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Is Pulock as good offensively as Morgan Reilly?
They are completely different types of players. Rielly can skate by a couple of defenders and pass the puck or deke the goalie (something Pulock would have a hard time doing) but then again Pulock can stand in the high slot and blast the puck past the goalie, something Rielly would have trouble doing.

Pulock (24 gp - 9g - 16a - 25pts) has more points than Rielly (25gp - 4g - 18a - 22pts), so they both are relied on for their offense but they go about it differently. Pulock is more about passing and shooting and Rielly is more about using his skating to create opportunities - a puck possession type of player.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:23 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
A player who's slowly catching my attention is the Saginaw Spirit's RW Nick Moutrey. He's a 6'4" 208 lb powerforward. He's listed as a RW, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him play a few games on the left side. When I say powerforward, I mean powerforward. He's physical, punishing and will beat you in a variety of ways. He's got soft hands too, so he will either go through you or around you. Good instincts around the crease and a solid wrist shot. He uses his body effectively too, protects the puck well and creates space using his body. He needs to work on his passing and puck skills. He got pretty good hands, but they could definitely be better. He does have good vision, but his passing isn't ideal.

Really talented player already and some room to grow. Could be a great late round pick, however if he keeps up the pace that he's playing at he'll most likely be a second rounder.

I watched him the other night against Kamloops. I had no idea that he was draft eligible. He played a solid game. He's still really raw, but he's got some great tools to work with. He's an intriguing player for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Latest Woodlief article. Should get us even more excited about having 4 picks in the top 60.
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1719797
Moutrey,& 9th overall on Woodlief's list Tyler Hill,Mike McCarron,Samuel Henley and Frederick Gauthier are all good sized players with talent and Montreal has a really good chance at getting a couple of these players in the next draft.Hill plays for Hotchkiss School,McCarron for USNTDP,Henley & Gauthier QMJHL.McNulty a defenceman from WHL is a good 3rd -4th round choice with size and skating.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
They are completely different types of players. Rielly can skate by a couple of defenders and pass the puck or deke the goalie (something Pulock would have a hard time doing) but then again Pulock can stand in the high slot and blast the puck past the goalie, something Rielly would have trouble doing.

Pulock (24 gp - 9g - 16a - 25pts) has more points than Rielly (25gp - 4g - 18a - 22pts), so they both are relied on for their offense but they go about it differently. Pulock is more about passing and shooting and Rielly is more about using his skating to create opportunities - a puck possession type of player.
When I watched Pulock a comparable for me would me Schenn/Komisarek type.Has a hard shot but not smooth or has the ability to skate the puck or pass well.Gets most of points setup on PP.probably a poor comparison but was trying to think of someone who is not a great skater.Whereas Reilly would be more like a Karlsson who can skate the whole rink with the puck and organize the PP.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
When I watched Pulock a comparable for me would me Schenn/Komisarek type.Has a hard shot but not smooth or has the ability to skate the puck or pass well.Gets most of points setup on PP.probably a poor comparison but was trying to think of someone who is not a great skater.Whereas Reilly would be more like a Karlsson who can skate the whole rink with the puck and organize the PP.
I can see the Schenn/Komisarek comparisons but Pulock plays a more offensive style of game with less focus on the physical type of play. Schenn or Komisarek just didn't have it in them to lead their team offensively, something Pulock has been doing.

I watched a period of the Brandon game last night, Pulock wasn't dressed and they really missed him, they looked confused and were running all over the place. He gives the team structure, something good players tend to do and are really noticeable in their absence.

---
Josh Morrissey would more of a comparable to Rielly, if someone is looking for someone with Rielly's skillset in this draft. Morrissey can't skate or carry the puck as well as Rielly but there are very that can.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Sounds like Souray, offensively anyway.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Say we have the 3rd overall pick again, and Mackinnon and Jones have already been picked; Would you rather pick Drouin or Barkov? or is there someone else you would rather pick?

Old
11-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Say we have the 3rd overall pick again, and Mackinnon and Jones have already been picked; Would you rather pick Drouin or Barkov? or is there someone else you would rather pick?
Monahan or even Lindholm

Old
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
S Bah

Quote:
That sounds eerily like the 1980 draft question,Wickenheiser or Savard?Looking back it's obvious the pressure in Montreal was to much for Wick.This time around both players would love to play for the Habs,my feeling is Drouin is the BPA,based on his skill level and ability to make players around him better.I know Barkov is similar and bigger but IMO Drouin will have the better career and the Habs fans would be ecstatic having a Francophone leading the team with Galchenyuk.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Nitehowl

[QUOTE=Frozenice;55999773]I can see the Schenn/Komisarek comparisons but Pulock plays a more offensive style of game with less focus on the physical type of play. Schenn or Komisarek just didn't have it in them to lead their team offensively, something Pulock has been doing.

Ya I didn't mean comparison offensively but the style of skater, player that Pulock reminds me of.He didn't seem a smooth corordinated skater. He has a plus shot but I would rate quickness ,skating,passing ,physical as average.

I was hoping to see Dalton Thrower last night but they said he is out with a concussion but did get to see Dietz . I was quite impressed with him.Huge amount of icetime,PP..PK .He is a very good skating smooth puck handling dman.Nice wrist shot rang off the post a couple times.Physical but not dirty.He must have taken power skating lessons cause he has just great skating and balance.If he was a few inches taller he would really be talked about more IMHO.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:07 PM
pcamp

Quote:
Easy pick Barkov for me

Old
11-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan. Not sure which of the three at this point, but I lean toward Barkov. Lindholm is the grittiest of the three and has chemistry with Collberg, but Barkov is is unreal.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:24 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Drouin.

Barkov is a physical beast and is one of the youngest player available for the draft, but he needs to add an extra gear that Drouin already has. I don't think he has the same offensive vision as Jonathan has either.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
That

Quote:
Barkov or Monahan for me. What Barkov is doing in the SM-Liiga is unbelievable. So I'd probably lean towards him.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Drouin.

Barkov is a physical beast and is one of the youngest player available for the draft, but he needs to add an extra gear that Drouin already has. I don't think he has the same offensive vision as Jonathan has either.
I really don't know how you can say Drouin has an extra gear from Barkov when Barkov plays more physical and has stood out at every level he has played at.

Neither are super fast, Drouin might have a little more agility, but he also has to show it more because he doesn't have Barkov's strength. Barkov is also a deceptively good skater, I've noticed lately he's gotten faster.

Both are unreal playmakers.

As much as I like Drouin, if the Habs picked him over Barkov I'd be a bit cynical about the reasons.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:35 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really don't know how you can say Drouin has an extra gear from Barkov when Barkov plays more physical and has stood out at every level he has played at.

Neither are super fast, Drouin might have a little more agility, but he also has to show it more because he doesn't have Barkov's strength. Barkov is also a deceptively good skater, I've noticed lately he's gotten faster.

Both are unreal playmakers.

As much as I like Drouin, if the Habs picked him over Barkov I'd be a bit cynical about the reasons.
I purely was talking about skating, not physicality. I find that Drouin has better footspeed and skating than Barkov. Now, that's something you can work on.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 11-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 03:54 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Sasha Barkov, AINEC.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:03 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
1. Alexander Barkov
2. Elias Lindholm
3. Jonathan Drouin
4. Sean Monahan

-Barkov plays a smart 2-way game and has over a .ppg against men in the Finnish League. I honestly would not be surprised if he passes 1 of Jones or MacKinnon before the draft. He is 6"2, 203 pounds. Honestly, if Drouin goes over him there is something wrong.
-Lindholm is a gritty, skilled forward who is also responsible defensively. He would make a sick 1-2 punch with Gally in the future. He probably wont go 3rd but if he goes after 5th he will be a steal. He is 6"0, 192 pounds.
-Drouin is tearing up the Q. The main issue for me is that he is only 5"11 and 176 pounds. He needs to gain weight or he will easily get pushed of the puck. He is very skilled and is an elite playmaker but will it work in the NHL?
-Monahan is a pure two-way forward. He is robably a better prospect than Drouin but I dont think he fits in with Montreal. He is a great playmaker too but so are Gally, DD and Pleks. More of the same here.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
1. Alexander Barkov
2. Elias Lindholm
3. Jonathan Drouin
4. Sean Monahan

-Barkov plays a smart 2-way game and has over a .ppg against men in the Finnish League. I honestly would not be surprised if he passes 1 of Jones or MacKinnon before the draft. He is 6"2, 203 pounds. Honestly, if Drouin goes over him there is something wrong.
-Lindholm is a gritty, skilled forward who is also responsible defensively. He would make a sick 1-2 punch with Gally in the future. He probably wont go 3rd but if he goes after 5th he will be a steal. He is 6"0, 192 pounds.
-Drouin is tearing up the Q. The main issue for me is that he is only 5"11 and 176 pounds. He needs to gain weight or he will easily get pushed of the puck. He is very skilled and is an elite playmaker but will it work in the NHL?
-Monahan is a pure two-way forward. He is robably a better prospect than Drouin but I dont think he fits in with Montreal. He is a great playmaker too but so are Gally, DD and Pleks. More of the same here.
Who would you rather have ?

Anze Kopitar, Claude Giroux, Niklas Backstrom or Jonathan Toews ?

Old
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Who would you rather have ?

Anze Kopitar, Claude Giroux, Niklas Backstrom or Jonathan Toews ?
Giroux or Toews. What is the point of your question exactly?

If you are comparing 1 of the draft eligible players to an established NHLer, you cant assume they will turn out like each of them. How many players are there in the NHL like Giroux?

Old
11-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
1. Alexander Barkov
2. Elias Lindholm
3. Jonathan Drouin
4. Sean Monahan

Barkov. Kid is the real deal. I don't get all the hype with Drouin... he is good but we are comparing apples and oranges when we compare him to Barkov.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:02 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Barkov. Kid is the real deal. I don't get all the hype with Drouin... he is good but we are comparing apples and oranges when we compare him to Barkov.
That is why I have Barkov at 1 and Drouin at 3. Barkov is a complete player. He plays D, physical, scores, makes plays and can play any forward position.

Drouin is good but I think overhyped. He has good hands and vision but he is not in the same class as barkov at this point.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I purely was talking about skating, not physicality. I find that Drouin has better footspeed and skating than Barkov. Now, that's something you can work on.
I'm not convinced they are worlds apart when it comes to skating though. Barkov's biggest knock his his explosiveness, but I still have questions over how much of it is just because he doesn't have to be - he has wheels and like a lot of those bigger guys, is faster than he looks. He is a deceptive skater. There's room for improvement, but that's the thing with Barkov, he looks like such a pro already it's hard to imagine him improving that much until you realize how young he is.

Drouin has better footspeed, but as much as I value speed, Drouin just still has more flaws when comparing prospects as complete as Barkov and to an extent Lindholm.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Lebowski

The thing is, when have the possibility to draft a game changer, you look for his offensive output, not his "two-way play". Drouin has the kind of skills that can't be taught. He is blowing out of the water, statistically, every single player in the CHL, even the ones older than him that have been drafted in the top ten one or 2 years ago. That includes guys such as Huberdeau, Strome, Galchenyuk, Scheifle (sp.) and more. At this rate, he would be the 3rd player with the best PPG to be drafted since the lock-out, behind Crosby (2,7ish) and P. Kane (2,5ish) if I'm not mistaken.

If he can maintain that level of play for the whole year, I don't see how you can't consider him over a guy like Barkov. Honestly, he may very well go 1st as well. I can't predict how he will develop, but a guy who arguably has the best hockey sense and the best hands in an absolutely stacked draft class sounds like a solid candidate for the 1st overall, or at least the top 3.

Whatever happens, I hope the Habs can draft him. It would shut the media once and for all relatively to the French superstar drama that has been haunting the Habs for the last decade or more. He's also kinda good at playing hockey.

Closed Thread