HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 08:39 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Say we have the 3rd overall pick again, and Mackinnon and Jones have already been picked; Would you rather pick Drouin or Barkov? or is there someone else you would rather pick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Monahan or even Lindholm
For me, it's either Barkov or Monahan.

Monahan has been the only offense that the Ottawa 67's have had this year, but what Barkov is doing in a men's league, I lean towards him.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Who would you rather have ?

Anze Kopitar, Claude Giroux, Niklas Backstrom or Jonathan Toews ?
Kopitar 10 times out of 10.

Or maybe Nik if he gets back to his 100 points form.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
The thing is, when have the possibility to draft a game changer, you look for his offensive output, not his "two-way play". Drouin has the kind of skills that can't be taught. He is blowing out of the water, statistically, every single player in the CHL, even the ones older than him that have been drafted in the top ten one or 2 years ago. That includes guys such as Huberdeau, Strome, Galchenyuk, Scheifle (sp.) and more. At this rate, he would be the 3rd player with the best PPG to be drafted since the lock-out, behind Crosby (2,7ish) and P. Kane (2,5ish) if I'm not mistaken.

If he can maintain that level of play for the whole year, I don't see how you can't consider him over a guy like Barkov. Honestly, he may very well go 1st as well. I can't predict how he will develop, but a guy who arguably has the best hockey sense and the best hands in an absolutely stacked draft class sounds like a solid candidate for the 1st overall, or at least the top 3.

Whatever happens, I hope the Habs can draft him. It would shut the media once and for all relatively to the French superstar drama that has been haunting the Habs for the last decade or more. He's also kinda good at playing hockey.
Talking entirely offensive output, Barkov is 5th in scoring in a defense-first league playing against adults. And he doesn't play with anyone as good as Nathan Mackinnon. You want to talk unprecedented, a 17 year old being at above a PPG pace in SM-liiga is just that.

And being French is a nice tiebreaker but two way play and size both come before speaking the right language IMO, even if offensive skill comes first.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Talking entirely offensive output, Barkov is 5th in scoring in a defense-first league playing against adults. And he doesn't play with anyone as good as Nathan Mackinnon.

And being French is a nice tiebreaker but two way play and size both come before speaking the right language IMO, even if offensive skill comes first.
+being a tought mofo.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:15 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Kopitar 10 times out of 10.

Or maybe Nik if he gets back to his 100 points form.
I would take Toews or Giroux.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:17 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Talking entirely offensive output, Barkov is 5th in scoring in a defense-first league playing against adults. And he doesn't play with anyone as good as Nathan Mackinnon. You want to talk unprecedented, a 17 year old being at above a PPG pace in SM-liiga is just that.

Quote:
+being a tought mofo.
The reasons why I would take Barkov with the 3rd Overall pick. Well said.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Et le But

Quote:
+being a tought mofo.
I mean Drouin doesn't play scared by any means, he's not as tough as Giroux but he's not as soft as Kane either IMO. Barkov doesn't have a mean streak either the way Lindholm does, but he easily overpowers adults, something Drouin probably won't ever come close to.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I mean Drouin doesn't play scared by any means, he's not as tough as Giroux but he's not as soft as Kane either IMO. Barkov doesn't have a mean streak either the way Lindholm does, but he easily overpowers adults, something Drouin probably won't ever come close to.
Overpowering adults goes right in my tough mofo list.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Lebowski

Quote:

I'm not discrediting Barkov or anything. I'd love to have him with the Habs as well. I was just making a case for Drouin, because it seems people tend to overlook him because of his size so-called issues (really, he's on his way to become a 5'11'' 185+ lbs player, what's wrong with that?) and the fact that he's not a premier defensive forward. The fact remains that MacKinnon, who's been touted as the next big thing for a while, has a much weaker PPG than Drouin.

My personal opinion on drafting high is that you go for the talent. Mainly the offensive talent, since it's the hardest to find. Drouin is just that. a boatload of offensive talent that is unrivaled in this draft class. I think he has the highest ceiling as well. He may or may not translate well to the NHL, but the same can be said about any non-generational talent. Barkov, MacKinnon, Monahan or anyone else in this draft class are not a generational talents.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I'm not discrediting Barkov or anything. I'd love to have him with the Habs as well. I was just making a case for Drouin, because it seems people tend to overlook him because of his size so-called issues (really, he's on his way to become a 5'11'' 185+ lbs player, what's wrong with that?) and the fact that he's not a premier defensive forward. The fact remains that MacKinnon, who's been touted as the next big thing for a while, has a much weaker PPG than Drouin.

My personal opinion on drafting high is that you go for the talent. Mainly the offensive talent, since it's the hardest to find. Drouin is just that. a boatload of offensive talent that is unrivaled in this draft class. I think he has the highest ceiling as well. He may or may not translate well to the NHL, but the same can be said about any non-generational talent. Barkov, MacKinnon, Monahan or anyone else in this draft class are not a generational talents.
Don't get me wrong, Drouin is a very exciting talent and the more I see him the more I'm convinced his size won't hurt him too much, but I think the likes of Barkov and MacKinnon have just as much offensive skill, which is why things like defense and size become factors to me. Barkov might be a slightly worse dangler than Drouin but it's very close if you ever watch one of Barkov's shootout goals. If he uses it less in game it's because he's so smart and strong he doesn't have to.

Drouin actually reminds me of another Finn, Granlund, one of my favourite prospects in recent years who I'm also convinced will overcome his size issues. And Barkov is better than Granlund.

Here's another example of Barkov's strength, skill and underrated speed in action for those who haven't seen it yet. He's the one in the gold helmet.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Roulin

Letting my mind wander about potential ramifications of decertification, a successful antitrust lawsuit, the abolition of the draft...

Does anyone know much about Drouin's personal background? Is he a Habs fan? Does he speak much English? How about the rest of the top Q prospects, Erne, Carrier, Gauthier, etc... would they be likely to sign with Montreal if made free agents?

Old
11-24-2012, 10:02 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Letting my mind wander about potential ramifications of decertification, a successful antitrust lawsuit, the abolition of the draft...

Does anyone know much about Drouin's personal background? Is he a Habs fan? Does he speak much English? How about the rest of the top Q prospects, Erne, Carrier, Gauthier, etc... would they be likely to sign with Montreal if made free agents?
Unsure about Drouin but I know Barkov is a Habs fan.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:08 PM
That

Hunter Shinkaruk is a Habs fan.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

I don't know anything about Drouin's background but he does speak fluent but accented English, as in its clearly his second language but one he uses regularly. The guess is that he'd be a Habs fan but who knows.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:40 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I don't know anything about Drouin's background but he does speak fluent but accented English, as in its clearly his second language but one he uses regularly. The guess is that he'd be a Habs fan but who knows.
I don't know if Drouin is a Hab fan but I'm a Hab fan and a Drouin fan does that count?

Old
11-24-2012, 11:08 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
They are completely different types of players. Rielly can skate by a couple of defenders and pass the puck or deke the goalie (something Pulock would have a hard time doing) but then again Pulock can stand in the high slot and blast the puck past the goalie, something Rielly would have trouble doing.

Pulock (24 gp - 9g - 16a - 25pts) has more points than Rielly (25gp - 4g - 18a - 22pts), so they both are relied on for their offense but they go about it differently. Pulock is more about passing and shooting and Rielly is more about using his skating to create opportunities - a puck possession type of player.
I was going to say Pulock has more points than Reilly and 6 months younger

Old
11-24-2012, 11:17 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
The thing is, when have the possibility to draft a game changer, you look for his offensive output, not his "two-way play". Drouin has the kind of skills that can't be taught. He is blowing out of the water, statistically, every single player in the CHL, even the ones older than him that have been drafted in the top ten one or 2 years ago. That includes guys such as Huberdeau, Strome, Galchenyuk, Scheifle (sp.) and more. At this rate, he would be the 3rd player with the best PPG to be drafted since the lock-out, behind Crosby (2,7ish) and P. Kane (2,5ish) if I'm not mistaken.
If he can maintain that level of play for the whole year, I don't see how you can't consider him over a guy like Barkov. Honestly, he may very well go 1st as well. I can't predict how he will develop, but a guy who arguably has the best hockey sense and the best hands in an absolutely stacked draft class sounds like a solid candidate for the 1st overall, or at least the top 3.

Whatever happens, I hope the Habs can draft him. It would shut the media once and for all relatively to the French superstar drama that has been haunting the Habs for the last decade or more. He's also kinda good at playing hockey.
Got to remember Drouin has advantage of playing with #1 overall pick. I can remember one draft Sam Gagner was thought to be future offensive star. A lot of his success was playing with Kane. Gagner did alright for himself, but never the star once projected of him.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Got to remember Drouin has advantage of playing with #1 overall pick. I can remember one draft Sam Gagner was thought to be future offensive star. A lot of his success was playing with Kane. Gagner did alright for himself, but never the star once projected of him.
The thing is, Drouin produce at a higher clip than the expected 1st overall pick. Not to mention that at this rate, Drouin himself might be the 1st overall pick.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:25 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
The thing is, Drouin produce at a higher clip than the expected 1st overall pick. Not to mention that at this rate, Drouin himself might be the 1st overall pick.
No, he won't go ahead of MacKinnon. Drouin doesn't have the scoring history behind him until he got with MacKinnon. Last year less than point a game as 17 year old, sounds like MacKinnon playing a role in his draft status.

Drouin 6 months older and 20 games small sample size. Sam Gagner his draft year, after the World Junior many had him ahead of Kane also.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:34 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
No, he won't go ahead of MacKinnon. Drouin doesn't have the scoring history behind him until he got with MacKinnon. Last year less than point a game as 17 year old, sounds like MacKinnon playing a role in his draft status.

Drouin 6 months older and 20 games small sample size. Sam Gagner his draft year, after the World Junior many had him ahead of Kane also.
You're wrong, the guy didn't go 2nd overall in the 'Q draft because he was a pied de céleri. Guy was tearing MAAA apart with Deluca and Duclair for LSL. He came in at mid season last year, he did start slow but then went on a rampage and was a beast in the playoffs.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Drouin helps him as much or more than the other way around. Drouin is a crazy playmaker a la Giroux who makes guys around him better. MacKinnon is more an individual player that scores goals on his own. Any players numbers would be helped by either guy, but moreso Drouin because of his slick playmaking.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Fozz

Why are so many of you talking as if the Habs will have a top-5 pick guaranteed? I just don't see it and you're just setting yourselves up for some major disappointment. We should be talking about guys that will be available in the 10-15th pick range and stop fabulating about Drouin, Barkov and Monahan.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:49 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Why are so many of you talking as if the Habs will have a top-5 pick guaranteed? I just don't see it and you're just setting yourselves up for some major disappointment. We should be talking about guys that will be available in the 10-15th pick range and stop fabulating about Drouin, Barkov and Monahan.
Agreed. So if Montreal is drafting at around 15 with MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Risto, Lazar, Pulock, Domi, Nichushkin, Morrissey and Dickinson off the board, who would you take with the 15th pick.

I would lean towards 1 of Erne, Burakowsky, Zadorov, Hagg or Nurse.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Saw Zykov yesterday, damn impressive, he is built like a tank and not affraid of traffic, real snipers' touch and can also score the dirty goals, he is a lot like Moulson. Going to be a top 40 or 50 pick, maybe 1st round(he'd be a sure 1st in a weaker draft).

Old
11-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Agreed. So if Montreal is drafting at around 15 with MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Risto, Lazar, Pulock, Domi, Nichushkin, Morrissey and Dickinson off the board, who would you take with the 15th pick.

I would lean towards 1 of Erne, Burakowsky, Zadorov, Hagg or Nurse.
lol
I like Erne's drive and physicality. I believe that's what's missing in our prospect pool. Rychel is another very good option there.

Closed Thread