HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The WJHC's should be the highlight of this year for hockey,Team Canada will have great goaltending,defence and plenty of offence.Drouin and MacKinnon being a huge part of the offence,who knows by the end of the Tournament they could be #'s 1 & 2.I'm really hoping the NHL plays by New Year's,that giving the Hab fans the chance of a lottery pick in the Top Five.Drafting a top five Francophone star like Johnathan Drouin to help lead the Montreal Canadiens for the next generation would rekindle the fiery spirits of all the lifelong Hab fans.The thought of a Montreal Canadiens team without a Francophone star such as Howie Morenz,Aurel Joliat,Maurice Richard,Jean Beliveau,Guy Lafleur or Vincent Damphousse just doesn't seem right.The team may as well be named the Kamloops Canadians without Francophone players on the team,I'm Welsh born but I've always been a Hab fan since living in Longueuil in the 50's.It's time to build a team with a great mix or multi-cultural players that can bring the fans the 25th Stanley Cup.Another SC Parade for Montreal to ring in the new Millennium by 2015-2016,let's get the puck rolling and bring back Firewagon Hockey.
Drouin and MacKinnon may not even be on the team let alone a big part of the offense, unless the lock out ends quickly and we lose a pile of 19 year olds it will be a mostly veteran team with possibly one of MacKinnon or Drouin as #13 forward. They won't be bumping guys like Scheifele RNH Strome Huberdeau etc

Old
11-29-2012, 08:25 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Drouin and MacKinnon may not even be on the team let alone a big part of the offense, unless the lock out ends quickly and we lose a pile of 19 year olds it will be a mostly veteran team with possibly one of MacKinnon or Drouin as #13 forward. They won't be bumping guys like Scheifele RNH Strome Huberdeau etc
I think Mackinnon will make it, but Drouin is doubtful. If there were no lockout, he would find a place on the team.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
I think Mackinnon will make it, but Drouin is doubtful. If there were no lockout, he would find a place on the team.
MacKinnon has no chance at center and he struggled on the wing in the Subway Series though. Drouin plays LW so that may help him as they are not as deep there.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
bsl

Quote:
2014? I think one.

And I think the Habs do it, to get someone they really want but, as much as I want them to move in the top 5-top 10 (if were unlucky) without giving up too much, I don't think there will be many teams will bite.
I agree.

Some posts on this thread are just ****ing dumb, by that I mean only those here who think we'll pick top ten next year with no season. We will almost assuredly not pick top ten next year if there is no season.

If that is the case: Just curious. When was the last time any team traded a 15th-30th 1st round draft pick, and a second round pick, for a top ten pick, let alone a top five, in that draft year, without also trading a blue chip NHL proven prospect? Go ahead, look it up. Never? Would not be surprised. And especially as this draft is huge, it makes the chances of such a trade zero.

The Habs are screwed if they don't play this year, and end up with 15th pick or lower. They are not trading up for a top ten, they don't have enough NHL caliber resources along with their lower picks to trade, and they will need both.

Let's be clear: If Habs get screwed in a stupid post lockout lottery and get 15-30 overall,which is quite likely, no team, not one, will take our 15th-30th and a second round player or even our first and 2 second round players for a top ten pick in this draft. Not ****ing happening. Ever.

Unless we give up Max or Subby too. Are you willing to do that for an unproven top 10 18 year old? Go ahead.

Top ten picks are HUGE now. And Top 5 picks are not even in play for a trade unless the pick you're trading is top ten. 1-10 is now miles above 15th, at each draft. I'm not talking about actual results of course, we all know a 2nd or 5th round pick can be gold, but no team is trading a top 5-10 pick for a 15th-30th, and a second rounder. Not happening. The perceived value of top ten is now massive, right or wrong.

Before you flame away, ask yourself this: How would you feel if the Habs were picking 8th next year and traded that pick for a 21st pick and a mid second round pick of the same draft, with no other compensation? Not too good?

Conclusion To the dreamers here who keep talking about top five to ten picks: You'd better hope we play this year. Otherwise, to those here who keep bringing up top ten picks, stop talking about top ten picks, and start talking about 15-30th picks, because that is what Habs will have if there is no season.

Last edited by bsl: 11-29-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 10:25 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We have 3. Hopefully Bergevin is ready to move one or two of them to have a top8 pick.
This is what I mean in my post above. Nothing personal man but it is completely idiotic to think we will pull off a trade of 2 second rounders for a top 8, especially in this draft.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are also trading our first rounder in that deal. Otherwise, get real. Why would any team make this trade?

Old
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
MacKinnon has no chance at center and he struggled on the wing in the Subway Series though. Drouin plays LW so that may help him as they are not as deep there.
He didn't struggle because he was on wing. Ask andre tourigny... He was more comfortable in the second game and wasn't playing his 3rd game is as many days... Anyone would put in a better performance with rest.

And if he plays well in camp he could see time as center if he makes it...

Old
11-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Conclusion To the dreamers here who keep talking about top five to ten picks: You'd better hope we play this year. Otherwise, to those here who keep bringing up top ten picks, stop talking about top ten picks, and start talking about 15-30th picks, because that is what Habs will have if there is no season.
Far too strongly worded. When we don't know what the system would be for determining the draft order - let alone if there even will be a draft - it's impossible to state where we *will* pick. It's not automatic that they go to the Crosby draft formula. But that seemed like a reasonably fair formula, if they did have to make up for another lost season. Habs would have something like a 23% chance of a top-10 pick under that formula. 10.74% of picking top-5. 2% chance of #1 overall.

But of course, there's a chance there will be no draft at all. In which case, maybe that improves our odds of just signing good talent? Drouin is a Habs fan, non? Maybe a CBA-less free-for-all is something we should hope for!

And then there's a chance there will be a season, in which case our odds are probably better than the snake draft, given that our team is typically expected to have a less-than-average chance of making the playoffs. But that's all up in the air until the games are actually played, so who knows.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:20 PM
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

But of course, there's a chance there will be no draft at all. In which case, maybe that improves our odds of just signing good talent? Drouin is a Habs fan, non? Maybe a CBA-less free-for-all is something we should hope for!
Well, gotta use that 40+ million per year in profit for something.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
S Bah

Quote:
When talking about MacKinnon and Drouin being # 1 & 2 in the draft,Team Canada might be wise to consider the Huberdeau-Drouin-MacKinnon line from the Subway Series. Having Top End scoring ability against all of the Countries involved in the Lockout is a good idea not only for next years team but this years edition.Drouin is the only player that has scored at over 2 points a game average in Junior Hockey this season.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
When talking about MacKinnon and Drouin being # 1 & 2 in the draft,Team Canada might be wise to consider the Huberdeau-Drouin-MacKinnon line from the Subway Series. Having Top End scoring ability against all of the Countries involved in the Lockout is a good idea not only for next years team but this years edition.Drouin is the only player that has scored at over 2 points a game average in Junior Hockey this season.
It is a small sample and I don't get to see Drouin and MacKinnon in regular league play, but based on the Game 2 SSS, I would definitely have them as strong candidates for Team Canada, despite their age. They are just that good. Even in a lockout year with some other big name talent available which otherwise might not have been, I would be ready to find a spot for those two on the team... they would still have to earn it in camp, of course, they are not in the category of player who is a pre-camp lock, but I would definitely have them in camp and be thinking of them as strong candidates to win spots.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:38 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Guys I was wondering if you'd consider using a lpick on Marcoux. He's putting some pretty good stats as a 19 year old and he's pretty much the best goalie in the Q right now. Delmas and Mayer aren't working out and if Desjardins is playing good enough he'll probably take Budaj's place in Montreal and Marcoux will have it easy in the AHL in the beginning.

Edit: He also one of 3 goalies in the CHL that has a GAA less than 2 and out of those 3 goalies, he's the one with the most starts. He also has the best SV% in the Q.

Last edited by JayKing: 11-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 10:08 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Guys I was wondering if you'd consider using a lpick on Marcoux. He's putting some pretty good stats as a 19 year old and he's pretty much the best goalie in the Q right now. Delmas and Mayer aren't working out and if Desjardins is playing good enough he'll probably take Budaj's place in Montreal and Marcoux will have it easy in the AHL in the beginning.

Edit: He also one of 3 goalies in the CHL that has a GAA less than 2 and out of those 3 goalies, he's the one with the most starts. He also has the best SV% in the Q.
He's the best goalie in the Q, but I don't know if that's saying much... He could be worth a late round pick as I think he's better than Delmas was at that age...

Old
11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Et le But

I want us to draft a goalie actually, but not before the 3rd round at best.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I want us to draft a goalie actually, but not before the 3rd round at best.
I only know QMJHL goalies buts couple of interesting late rounds projects could be good bets for goalies:

Phil Desrosiers from Rimouski was rock solid the 2 times I saw him.
Storm Phaneuf (Blainville) did great when Marcoux got injured.
L-P Guindon from Drummond despite bad stats play solid and steal games for them. they count shots a weird way in Drummond.

others that I'm not a fan of:
Phillippe Cadorette (Baie Comeau): he is too small and inconsistent IMO
Domenic Graham (Drummondville). Got lot of praise as a 16 yo and now he's loosing the starting spot to Guindon
Eric Brassard (Gatineau). well he got pulled the 2 games I've seen of him so yeah.

I've yet to see Alexandre Bé.langer from Rouyn and Zachary Fortin from Quebec but from what I hear they're both very decent. time will tell for them. Maybe Serge Kostitsyn74 can provide more info on Fortin.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Habssupporter

Quote:
I agree.

Some posts on this thread are just ****ing dumb, by that I mean only those here who think we'll pick top ten next year with no season. We will almost assuredly not pick top ten next year if there is no season.

If that is the case: Just curious. When was the last time any team traded a 15th-30th 1st round draft pick, and a second round pick, for a top ten pick, let alone a top five, in that draft year, without also trading a blue chip NHL proven prospect? Go ahead, look it up. Never? Would not be surprised. And especially as this draft is huge, it makes the chances of such a trade zero.

The Habs are screwed if they don't play this year, and end up with 15th pick or lower. They are not trading up for a top ten, they don't have enough NHL caliber resources along with their lower picks to trade, and they will need both.

Let's be clear: If Habs get screwed in a stupid post lockout lottery and get 15-30 overall,which is quite likely, no team, not one, will take our 15th-30th and a second round player or even our first and 2 second round players for a top ten pick in this draft. Not ****ing happening. Ever.

Unless we give up Max or Subby too. Are you willing to do that for an unproven top 10 18 year old? Go ahead.

Top ten picks are HUGE now. And Top 5 picks are not even in play for a trade unless the pick you're trading is top ten. 1-10 is now miles above 15th, at each draft. I'm not talking about actual results of course, we all know a 2nd or 5th round pick can be gold, but no team is trading a top 5-10 pick for a 15th-30th, and a second rounder. Not happening. The perceived value of top ten is now massive, right or wrong.

Before you flame away, ask yourself this: How would you feel if the Habs were picking 8th next year and traded that pick for a 21st pick and a mid second round pick of the same draft, with no other compensation? Not too good?

How about last year when calgary traded 12th pick for buffalo's 21st + a second.

I agree that its not likely someone would trade down from the top 10 for way later in the draft. However, it's not unheard of of teams trading down a couple of spots for a second rounder (especially in a draft that is considered very deep)

What i'd like is say the habs are drafting 9th, i'd like for them to package a second rounder and depending where this second rounder is you can get the 7th with an outside chance at #6 spot.

Then you secure one of mac, jones, monahan, drouin, barkov, lindholm or Ristolainen (never saw him but ppl here are putting him in the same category)

Old
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are also trading our first rounder in that deal. Otherwise, get real. Why would any team make this trade?
Oh yeah I'm including the first rounder (and am assuming it won't be too much of a late one as well). I thought this was a given, as you said teams would be idiotic to trade a top first rounder in this draft just for a few second rounders.

A 12th overall + 2 second rounder can net a lot of good NHLers in a draft like this, if a team drafting top8 has a few players later in the first round or in the second round on the radar they would gladly accept I think as it would allow them to replenish their prospect pool. Bergevin should at least try to work something out to go with quality instead of quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian
And so is Barkov in fact!

Barkov+Drouin would be pretty neat to say the least.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habssupporter View Post
How about last year when calgary traded 12th pick for buffalo's 21st + a second.

I agree that its not likely someone would trade down from the top 10 for way later in the draft. However, it's not unheard of of teams trading down a couple of spots for a second rounder (especially in a draft that is considered very deep)

What i'd like is say the habs are drafting 9th, i'd like for them to package a second rounder and depending where this second rounder is you can get the 7th with an outside chance at #6 spot.

Then you secure one of mac, jones, monahan, drouin, barkov, lindholm or Ristolainen (never saw him but ppl here are putting him in the same category)
It was the 14th pick btw.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

This would be awesome territory for me.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
This would be awesome territory for me.
If this were to happen, we would become cup contenders in a hurry.

Ohh, and don't forget Hunter Shinkaruk, he's a Habs fan too.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I know this is about them making WJHC's but the only team that I want to see Drouin on is the Habs,on a line with Galchenyuk and Collberg.Truly that's not so far-fetched an idea,when one considers the Habs finished last season in 28th overall.Usually most teams don't rebound from a year like that for 2-3 seasons at best,look at the Edmonton Oilers for instance.The Lockout Lottery system favours teams for consistent failure the Oilers aren't getting the #1 pick in this case,Finally.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:13 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
I only know QMJHL goalies buts couple of interesting late rounds projects could be good bets for goalies:

Phil Desrosiers from Rimouski was rock solid the 2 times I saw him.
Storm Phaneuf (Blainville) did great when Marcoux got injured.
L-P Guindon from Drummond despite bad stats play solid and steal games for them. they count shots a weird way in Drummond.

others that I'm not a fan of:
Phillippe Cadorette (Baie Comeau): he is too small and inconsistent IMO
Domenic Graham (Drummondville). Got lot of praise as a 16 yo and now he's loosing the starting spot to Guindon
Eric Brassard (Gatineau). well he got pulled the 2 games I've seen of him so yeah.

I've yet to see Alexandre Bé.langer from Rouyn and Zachary Fortin from Quebec but from what I hear they're both very decent. time will tell for them. Maybe Serge Kostitsyn74 can provide more info on Fortin.
He has been shaky so far tonight, giving lots of juicy rebounds in his crease. I've seen him vs Sherbrooke too here, but that wasn't much of a game as the Phoenix got trounced something like 8-1, and allowed 5 goals while they were on the PP He did look good in that game though, but the Phoenix was no match with Rouyn on that given night.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:27 PM
MaxLacoste

There is players that the Habs needs in very portion of this draft. Here are my choices for each portion of the draft, where ever we draft.

TOP 5 PICK:
Aleksander Barkov. He's my favorite player from this draft. I would take him first overall. Exactly what we need to become cup contender. Very big goalscoring center. If we draft him, I would move Gally to his wing and make a 1st line with them and Collberg.

TOP 10 PICK:
Jonathan Drouin. A very complete offensive threat. Could complete perfectly Galchenyuk as his winger, with his playmaking ability. Giving his hands, him and Gally would be a very spectacular duo to watch. A fan of Montreal.

10-15 PICK:
Adam Erne. Very good goal scorer with size. I could see a 1st line of Pac - Gally -Erne. The kind of big scoring line we didn't have for decade.

15-25 PICK:
Anthony Mantha. French canadian goal scoring winger with size and speed. Have 1st line potential which is very good for a pick of the second half of the 1st round. Another favorite of mine.

25-40 PICK: (We could have 2 pick in that range with our and Calgary's picks)
Anthony Duclair: Could drop to the second round. IMO he could be a steal like Subban was. His problems are consistency and work ethic. Kind of have a attitude. But he got thing that you can't teach like speed and scoring touch. I don't really like him as a 1st rounder, but I will watch him this season because I hope he'll fall into our hands in the 2nd round.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:42 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
There is players that the Habs needs in very portion of this draft. Here are my choices for each portion of the draft, where ever we draft.

TOP 5 PICK:
Aleksander Barkov. He's my favorite player from this draft. I would take him first overall. Exactly what we need to become cup contender. Very big goalscoring center. If we draft him, I would move Gally to his wing and make a 1st line with them and Collberg.

TOP 10 PICK:
Jonathan Drouin. A very complete offensive threat. Could complete perfectly Galchenyuk as his winger, with his playmaking ability. Giving his hands, him and Gally would be a very spectacular duo to watch. A fan of Montreal.

10-15 PICK:
Adam Erne. Very good goal scorer with size. I could see a 1st line of Pac - Gally -Erne. The kind of big scoring line we didn't have for decade.

15-25 PICK:
Anthony Mantha. French canadian goal scoring winger with size and speed. Have 1st line potential which is very good for a pick of the second half of the 1st round. Another favorite of mine.

Anthony Duclair: Could drop to the second round. IMO he could be a steal like Subban was. His problems are consistency and work ethic. Kind of have a attitude. But he got thing that you can't teach like speed and scoring touch. I don't really like him as a 1st rounder, but I will watch him this season because I hope he'll fall into our hands in the 2nd round.
Good list, I would add Carrier and Gauthier to the 25-40 pick.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Good list, I would add Carrier and Gauthier to the 25-40 pick.
Agreed. If Mantha is on you draft list, Gauthier and Carrier should be in the same range, or at least in the 25-40 range.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

TOP 5 PICK:

TOP 10 PICK:

10-15 PICK:

15-25 PICK:

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Closed Thread