HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I know the system has a lot of defensive depth, but I really wouldn't mind Jones or Ristolainen at all. After those two I'd rather have a forward, but after seeing how good Rielly looks I really wouldn't mind some more high end skill in the back. Risto could add that plus a physical element..
Depending what position the Habs draft from,it's a kind of moot point at this stage.I would like Bergevin to make a trade with Columbus for one of their three 1st round picks.Hopefully giving them a chance to get Drouin and Carrier or Mantha,the Habs teams in the past that were perennial Stanley Cup Finalists always had Francophones that made huge contributions.Heart and soul type players with the team in mind played a major part in those years and this season the Habs have the opportunity to draft a few of those type of players.With Dmen like Subban,Beaulieu,Diaz and Bennett still learning the trade the Habs have many offensive quarterbacks coming and forwards with talent and size should be a priority with so many early picks.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Et le But

I'm not a fan of the "Habs need Francophones to win because they always had them on SC winning teams" argument, because let's be honest here, there's a reason the Habs decline parallels the globalization of the game. Even in 1993 Europeans and Americans had much less of an impact than they have today, and as far as heart and soul goes, the 86 winning Habs team was probably the toughest, at least in the fighter/intimidation sense, and also the most international of the cup winning sides. There's a certain benefit to having local players though. At the very least, at least Barkov is already a fan.

The wealth of Q talent in this draft is huge for us, this is an unusually good class for the Q and we definitely need to take advantage of that, but with the first pick BPA should win out above all else. If we can get another first round pick, great, but at the very least we have some 2nd round picks and this will be a great opportunity to scout our backyard.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the "Habs need Francophones to win because they always had them on SC winning teams" argument, because let's be honest here, there's a reason the Habs decline parallels the globalization of the game. Even in 1993 Europeans and Americans had much less of an impact than they have today, and as far as heart and soul goes, the 86 winning Habs team was probably the toughest, at least in the fighter/intimidation sense, and also the most international of the cup winning sides. There's a certain benefit to having local players though. At the very least, at least Barkov is already a fan.

The wealth of Q talent in this draft is huge for us, this is an unusually good class for the Q and we definitely need to take advantage of that, but with the first pick BPA should win out above all else. If we can get another first round pick, great, but at the very least we have some 2nd round picks and this will be a great opportunity to scout our backyard.
When comparing SC winning Montreal teams one should look at their last Cup in 93,which was almost entirely Francophone.Check it out.John Leclair while obviously from French descent was from Vermont if memory serves but the team was almost all Francophone.Like you say Barkov is a Hab fan and a outstanding player,in the end BPA will be the deciding factor and only if very close in their future upside can they choose the Francophone.There are many that will be available in the 1st & 2nd rounds this year,so I may get my wish in the end.

Last edited by S Bah: 10-25-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
When comparing SC winning Montreal teams one should look at their last Cup in 93,which was almost entirely Francophone.Check it out.John Leclair while obviously from French descent was from Vermont if memory serves but the team was almost all Francophone.
As much as I was a fan of the 93 team since it's one of my earliest hockey memories, the league was still much more Canadian-centric back then than today and to say it was almost entirely Francophone does a disservice to some of the best players on the team being Anglo Canadians like Mueller, Bellows and Keane, and Americans like LeClair and Schneider.

And it wasn't just the Habs, Quebecois players dominated the NHL in 93 - Lemieux, Robitaille, Turgeon, Bourque. The league was getting more and more European stars at that time but most established players were still coming out of Quebec and Ontario.

It makes sense for multiple reasons for the Habs to have a Quebecois core but we want guys like Roy and Damphousse regardless of where they are from.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:02 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
When comparing SC winning Montreal teams one should look at their last Cup in 93,which was almost entirely Francophone.Check it out.John Leclair while obviously from French descent was from Vermont if memory serves but the team was almost all Francophone.Like you say Barkov is a Hab fan and a outstanding player,in the end BPA will be the deciding factor and only if very close in their future upside can they choose the Francophone.There are many that will be available in the 1st & 2nd rounds this year,so I may get my wish in the end.
Back then growing up in Quebec it was different than today. The Roys, Carbonneaus were last of a different breed. Last I saw that kind of passion for winning was in Bourque's eyes when he hoisted the Cup. Today the world is much different than when they grew up. Anybody who's 50+, can remember wasn't much else to do in Quebec over a long cold winter other than hockey. Except maybe for the catholic church, all there was back then was hockey and the church. No money around, dirt poor. No travel, we never hardly left the province. We had our own little society. Quebecers was looked down upon by rest of Canada. Even more so by USA. Especially after the world wars. You all read the stories of the Rocket's eyes, Habs players leaving a restaurant in a Leaf player would happen in, and so on and so on. But if there was one area we excelled in, and had tremendous passion for was winning in hockey. We hated to lose in hockey.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Back then growing up in Quebec it was different than today. The Roys, Carbonneaus were last of a different breed. Last I saw that kind of passion for winning was in Bourque's eyes when he hoisted the Cup. Today the world is much different than when they grew up. Anybody who's 50+, can remember wasn't much else to do in Quebec over a long cold winter other than hockey. Except maybe for the catholic church, all there was back then was hockey and the church. No money around, dirt poor. No travel, we never hardly left the province. We had our own little society. Quebecers was looked down upon by rest of Canada. Even more so by USA. Especially after the world wars. You all read the stories of the Rocket's eyes, Habs players leaving a restaurant in a Leaf player would happen in, and so on and so on. But if there was one area we excelled in, and had tremendous passion for was winning in hockey. We hated to lose in hockey.
Yeah, there's far more for kids to do nowadays, including playing other sports, and even in rural QC you got TV and the internet. Plus the current generation has no memory of the great or even the very good Habs teams. Drouin wasn't alive in 1993.

Of course this doesn't excuse Hockey Quebec's poor development and scouting, and failure to encourage immigrants to play hockey which has been a big part in the recent group of players coming out of Ontario and Western Canada.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You must have loved our big bodied late 80's/most of the 90's 1st rounders then...how did that work out?

You take the BPA, especially in round 1. Period.

Drouin had 2 goals and 2 assists in his return to the lineup tonight.
I am not talking about all guys under 6"0. If MacKinnon, Shinkaruk or Drouin are still there by the time Montreal drafts, go for them for sure. But between the guys around Domi's draft position, I don't think he is much more superior than De La Rose or Erne. I would go for one of them.

I think Drouin would be the best pick. One of the most skilled players in this draft.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Et le But

I'm very much against drafting for height in the first and even though I like Domi, I think he's a terrible fit with this team. He's just too similar to other players we have.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:56 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I'm very much against drafting for height in the first and even though I like Domi, I think he's a terrible fit with this team. He's just too similar to other players we have.
Exactly. We have Gallagher, Collberg, Kristo and Hudon that are small and skilled. If a small but skilled player slips to us in the draft obviously take him but if Domi is available at #15 but so are Erne or De La Rose, I would take one of them. o need to stack on similar players.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:16 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Yeah, there's far more for kids to do nowadays, including playing other sports, and even in rural QC you got TV and the internet. Plus the current generation has no memory of the great or even the very good Habs teams. Drouin wasn't alive in 1993.

Of course this doesn't excuse Hockey Quebec's poor development and scouting, and failure to encourage immigrants to play hockey which has been a big part in the recent group of players coming out of Ontario and Western Canada.
Immigrants are disproportionately working-class. They're not going to put their children into ice hockey.

The blame lies squarely with "Canada Soccer", they're the ones who should be benefiting from high immigration, rather than taking us all the way to 8th place in Concacaf.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
S Bah

Quote:
As much as I was a fan of the 93 team since it's one of my earliest hockey memories, the league was still much more Canadian-centric back then than today and to say it was almost entirely Francophone does a disservice to some of the best players on the team being Anglo Canadians like Mueller, Bellows and Keane, and Americans like LeClair and Schneider.

And it wasn't just the Habs, Quebecois players dominated the NHL in 93 - Lemieux, Robitaille, Turgeon, Bourque. The league was getting more and more European stars at that time but most established players were still coming out of Quebec and Ontario.

It makes sense for multiple reasons for the Habs to have a Quebecois core but we want guys like Roy and Damphousse regardless of where they are from.
Et le But doing a disservice to is simply misspelling one of the most important players name as in former Asst Coach Kirk Muller not related to Peter Mueller.Considering Kirk has been with the team more than away since 93.I remember him being in the Habs private box with Saku Koivu after his eye was injured during the Carolina series.Don't insult the Habs or a lifelong Hab fan to make a silly political point,I look at the player and the attributing factors that may bring the SC back is all.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Et le But

Did I really misspell Muller? Damn, I love Kirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Immigrants are disproportionately working-class. They're not going to put their children into ice hockey.

The blame lies squarely with "Canada Soccer", they're the ones who should be benefiting from high immigration, rather than taking us all the way to 8th place in Concacaf.
But that doesn't explain why more and more the children of immigrants are getting assistance to play hockey, especially in Ontario. The Subbans are an obvious example and there's only going to be more over the next few years.

Canadian soccer is a whole extra level of fail.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

How about we get back to the draft?

Anyone think Mantha will end up a top 15 pick in the end?

Old
10-25-2012, 07:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well we did invite him to training camp, so clearly we have some interest. If he keeps up his play, I wouldn't mind a late round flyer on him.

On the other hand, how much of his good play is a result of not getting the checking assignments that are going to MacKinnon/Drouin?
interesting, i completely forgot that he was invited. This was my first time seeing him play, but he stood out despite the MacKinnon/Drouin show who were putting up the points. if i end up seeing the moose again, will keep an eye out for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post

Sounds like it.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:58 PM
S Bah

Quote:

At the rate his play is maturing,that wouldn't be surprising in the least.Carrier's play has been great also but Drouin's game and his size as well are increasing and Gauthier's game has caught fire too.The Hab's might want to try to acquire another 1st or two IMO,to go along with their three 2nd rounders.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
At the rate his play is maturing,that wouldn't be surprising in the least.Carrier's play has been great also but Drouin's game and his size as well are increasing and Gauthier's game has caught fire too.The Hab's might want to try to acquire another 1st or two IMO,to go along with their three 2nd rounders.
Speaking of surprising, I caught part of the Quebec-Baie Comeau tonight to see Nikita Kucherov (his 1st goal is posted on the prospects board - very smooth and easy a la Drouin). However, the guy who caught my eye was Valentin Zykov for the Drakkar with 3g, 1a, +3 and 10 shots. (13-9-6-15+9 on the year, tieing for the lead on his team). Decent size (6'1 215), very quick, quick release, a buzz around the net. Now that he has his feet wet on this side of the pond, I think he will be doing some serious damage to the score sheet before the year is out (2013 draft eligible)

Old
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Valentin Zykov is picking apart the Remparts as they are being blased 8-2, and Grigorenko has 0 points and is -1. Zykov is a 95 born.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Fozz

Quote:

That's been my impression since March.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Valentin Zykov is picking apart the Remparts as they are being blased 8-2, and Grigorenko has 0 points and is -1. Zykov is a 95 born.
Gally with 3 pts and Grigo pointless tonight... Who's the boss?

Old
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Mono is back with a vengeance I guess.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
From the bits I saw, Grigorenko is still the best player on the ice. Playing a very strong two way game. Not nearly as physically imposing or implicated in tough areas as Galchenyuk though.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:20 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Zykov and Acadie Bathurst's Raphael Lafontaine both are worthy of consideration for the later rounds of the draft and bare keeping an eye on their progress this season.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Sportsnet's top 10 CHL 2013 draft prospects.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...ing_cosentino/

NHL.com on QMJHL prospects: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644176

Old
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Et le But

The one thing I don't like about Seth Jones is he's almost a full year older than many of these other players - in fact, compared to Mackinnon, he's a month away from being a year older!

Old
10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
So were Yakupov and Murray last year.

Closed Thread