HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Lockout Discussion on the Air in Middle TN

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2005, 10:26 PM
PeteWeber

vCash: 500
Lockout Discussion on the Air in Middle TN

Thursday afternoon at 4:20 on SportsNight (106-7 and 99-7 FM), we will have labor law expert David Williams on from Vanderbilt to explain how the law views an impasse situation in the United States.
Wednesday night at 6:40, former Montreal Canadiens' goaltender Dave Elenbaas (who now is head of the Employee and Labor Relations for the firm of McMillan and Binch in Toronto). Elenbaas explained the Canadian legal interpretation, and the fact that there are different standards for each of the Canadian provinces. He had previous experience when the major league baseball umpires association had a similar situation a few years ago and how it was viewed in Canada.

Old
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hm, that should be a good listen. Thanks for the heads-up and welcome to the boards, Professor.

Personally, an "impasse," in my opinion, is probably an unlikely goal for the NHL, but it will be interesting to hear from a professional perspective.

Old
02-03-2005, 08:02 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Indeed, welcome, Professor! Your insights and comments are most welcome here

Old
02-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I've been listening since 4:20 ... where is David Williams???

Old
02-03-2005, 04:40 PM
PredsMan

Hey Pete.

listening, and I don't hear the discussion.

Schedule change?

Old
02-03-2005, 06:40 PM
PeteWeber

We had to reschedule David Williams -- sorry for not getting on here earlier...preliminary plan is to have David or another US Labor Law expert on Friday afternoon, likely in the 4 o'clock hour.
Thanks for listening!

Old
02-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Thanks Professor,

and welcome to the fold

the more you keep us abreast of Hockey talk on WTN, the better

Old
02-03-2005, 07:57 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
wait a second....is this really pete weber on here? If so, I also welcome you, professor. If not, well, I still welcome you.

Old
02-03-2005, 10:26 PM
PeteWeber

Optimistic or Pessimistic

Yes, it really is me -- at least now I know I can sleep tonight -- at first it appeared the two sides might continue on through the night. I think all of us would be happier if they bricked in the meeting room and waited 'til they had a deal done.

However, the fact that they are actually talking now (notwithstanding the months of time wasted from September to December) has me cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic. I fully expected them to storm away after a brief meeting today.

Now, we can only stay tuned.

Old
02-03-2005, 11:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think that any realist was pretty aware that IF it was going to get done..it was going to be an 11th hour type of thing. It's hard to make right or left of tonight's meeting...EXCEPT for one positive fact: they're meeting again tomorrow. Now, to be fair..this could only be because they got nowhere tonight and are going to take one more stab tomorrow, but it could also be that they're making a little headway and are going to continue to hack away at it. Here's to hoping.

Old
02-04-2005, 12:34 AM
AdvDave

My respect for Pete has gone through the roof.
He is sweating this out just like us.
Cautious optimism is my feeling to.
All the talk from Roenick and Thibault is my source of optimism.

Old
02-04-2005, 07:08 AM
handtrick

Thanks Pete for the reply....seeing that you are going through the same emotional rollercoaster as un die-hards, gives me emotional fortitude [but with caution] to keep a flicker of hope allive for the season.

Old
02-04-2005, 07:27 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I too am in the same boat...I'm "cautiously optimistic." Waiting for this is almost like I'm 5 again and it's Christmas Eve. I just wish I could go to sleep so tomorrow would come faster and I can find out what happened.

Old
02-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Welcome aboard Pete. I won't be able to catch the show due to work, but I expect a full report out of somone here.

Today could be it fellas.....Make or break day for the season

02-04-2005, 05:25 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWeber
Yes, it really is me -- at least now I know I can sleep tonight -- at first it appeared the two sides might continue on through the night. I think all of us would be happier if they bricked in the meeting room and waited 'til they had a deal done.

However, the fact that they are actually talking now (notwithstanding the months of time wasted from September to December) has me cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic. I fully expected them to storm away after a brief meeting today.

Now, we can only stay tuned.

Well Pete was close.....they stormed away after a long day and a half meeting....I can't believe the "no progress was made" horsecrap statement from Saskin ......any guesses as to what is going on behind the scenes right now?

Old
02-04-2005, 08:09 PM
predhead1

Allow me to add my welcome Professor!

This has been a very disheartening experience - especially after the Preds finally broke through last season. I'm afraid this lockout will have a far-reaching impact of the popularity of the game in the U.S. I just hope that the fans in Nashville will be around when, and if, the game returns to the GEC.

Old
02-04-2005, 11:18 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Well Pete was close.....they stormed away after a long day and a half meeting....I can't believe the "no progress was made" horsecrap statement from Saskin ......any guesses as to what is going on behind the scenes right now?
I'm halfway thinking that the NHL gave some type of ultimatum and said something like "think about it over the weekend and if you don't agree to it, we're cancelling the season on monday."

Just a guess.

Old
02-04-2005, 11:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I'm halfway thinking that the NHL gave some type of ultimatum and said something like "think about it over the weekend and if you don't agree to it, we're cancelling the season on monday."

Just a guess.

i hate to say it, but I can't help but feel that the NHLPA is on the verge of cracking. You're seeing new people speaking out every day...and a lot of "experts" feel that Goodenow's little tantrum today was something for dramatic effect. If the league thought this was over..they'd go ahead and cancel. They say it's darkest before dawn...and I don't think we're quite at the 11th hour just yet afterall...let's see what early next week brings..

Old
02-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
Wish I'd read this sooner, glad to have you around Professor.

This whole situation is killing the NHL's overall life, the longer this goes on the worse the odds are of getting the non-hardcore fans back.

Old
02-05-2005, 12:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury77
Wish I'd read this sooner, glad to have you around Professor.

This whole situation is killing the NHL's overall life, the longer this goes on the worse the odds are of getting the non-hardcore fans back.

I agree..and at the same time..disagree. This is really a sad commentary on just how bad it is, at least in much of the United States:

I just had a lengthy discussion with a friend that attends the University of Tennessee. She considers herself a decent Preds fan, and when she's in town she tries to attend a game here and there. She has a Preds window-cling in her car.

Me: "This whole hockey rollercoaster thing is driving me nuts. I just want some closure at this point, good or bad."
Her: "Huh?"
Me "I'm going nuts without hockey!"
Her: "Why haven't you been watching?"
Me: "Uh...because...there's hasn't been NHL hockey all year..due to the lockout?"
Her: "What? What are you talking about?"

She had NO clue that there was even a stoppage..and she's what I'd consider one of the upper fringe fans. In most markets...this hasn't breached people's consciousness enough to even upset them. If\when it comes back, if their geographically convenient team is successful, they'll care as much or as little as they ever\never did, and the diehards, despite their fierce words and numerous vows...will of course be back as well.

Old
02-05-2005, 10:43 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i hate to say it, but I can't help but feel that the NHLPA is on the verge of cracking. You're seeing new people speaking out every day...and a lot of "experts" feel that Goodenow's little tantrum today was something for dramatic effect. If the league thought this was over..they'd go ahead and cancel. They say it's darkest before dawn...and I don't think we're quite at the 11th hour just yet afterall...let's see what early next week brings..
Well, I don't know when the NHLPA will crack, but it is just a matter of time. It could be this week. It could be this summer. Who knows, but it WILL happen. Although right now if you tweaked the NHL's most recent offer and put to a vote amongst players, I'm quite certain it would pass.

Old
02-05-2005, 11:43 AM
tulsytrid1

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...asonpoll050203
Little ESPN poll...I know that ESPN blows, but the poll is interesting all the same.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Well, I don't know when the NHLPA will crack, but it is just a matter of time. It could be this week. It could be this summer. Who knows, but it WILL happen. Although right now if you tweaked the NHL's most recent offer and put to a vote amongst players, I'm quite certain it would pass.

well, the problem is that once the season is canceled...there won't be any more meetings until august or september. there won't be any "cracking" when there's no pressure to do so.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:10 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
well, the problem is that once the season is canceled...there won't be any more meetings until august or september. there won't be any "cracking" when there's no pressure to do so.
Yep and we will be in the same boat next season...waiting for these guys to get together and hammering out a deal. Once they cancel the season, I don't see the 2 sides meeting again until August or September. Let's hope I am wrong.

Old
02-05-2005, 04:53 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
you're right. I retract my summer comment. let it suffice to say that we could be sitting here in the same boat this time next year.

Closed Thread