HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
11-26-2012, 02:07 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Ay yo, forget Schultz. Eberle is ****ing sick.
Nah, bro, that shooting percentage is unsustainable.

Gotta keep that in mind for Schultz too. His goal totals are inflated by an unsustainable shooting percentage and his assist totals are inflated by Eberle's unsustainable shooting percentage.

If my calculations are correct(and I, like our Oilers math expert bloggers, am sure it is), Schultz actually only has around 10 "real" points.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:12 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

Gotta keep that in mind for Schultz too. His goal totals are inflated by an unsustainable shooting percentage and his assist totals are inflated by Eberle's unsustainable shooting percentage.

If my calculations are correct(and I, like our Oilers math expert bloggers, am sure it is), Schultz actually only has around 10 "real" points.
Which would be equivalent to 4pts in the nhl.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Shanahanigans

vCash: 500
Another thing that has impressed me about Schultz is his character and professionalism. Over the fiasco of his free agency and choosing to sign with Edmonton, the guy really hasn't said word, even though he was trashed publicly many times. He reported to OKC without saying a word about the whole fiasco and what everyone was saying about him, the rumors, character bashing, etc. He let his play do the talking for him, and through his play and post game/ pre game comments (not much, I know), you get a sense that he is already emerging as one of the real leaders on the Barons.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:15 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Which would be equivalent to 4pts in the nhl.
Damn. I thought we finally had a good prospect this time.

One of these days we'll be blessed enough to find the next Shawn Horcoff.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Link to hilights of Sunday's game.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:23 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Yeee, math tings.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
yeah....not gonna happen

only 4 defensemen in the entire NHL put up that many points last year and you think Schultz is gonna do it as a rookie?

this guys starting to become pretty overrated

I mean he's had a great 18 games in the AHL but all of a sudden people are acting like he's the next Bobby Orr
Well he is currently outscoring an NHL player that had 76 points last year for starters. Next up is that he is the perfect point man for our PP. Lastly is that he will be having Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, and yes even Gagner up front to be dishing the puck to/getting the puck back from.

I wouldn't bet on him getting 52 points, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet against it. That said I've been watching the games and seeing just how dominant he is nit just reading the box scores. As for the next Bobby Orr that's ridiculous quote me the post where an Oilers fan said something like that or else you'll come across as trying to stir the pot and full of it.

11-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Ched Brosky

One thing people forget is that even with him out-producing Eberle RNH etc and that the AHL being higher quality right now is that no team has the quality of his team right now. He is playing with 3 guys that were the top line of an NHL team last year. Most teams at best have a couple decent young players who could crack NHL lineups plus 4th line plugs.

Syracuse for comparison (1 of 2 teams ahead of Barons in the standings) has only 2 NHL players in their lineup for when the lockout ends. One was a rookie last year in Brett Connolly (who managed 15 points over 68 games in the NHL), the other a player with no NHL experience but Bolts fans say is a lock to make the team in Cory Conacher. Although Tyler Johnson may crack the Lightning as well.

Abbotsford (top team) has Baertschi (No pro experience outside junior) Horak (was a rookie last year... 60 NHL games 11 points) Brodie (also just had his rookie year... 54 games 14 points) and maybe Bouma (27 NHL games)

They don't have 3 60+ point NHL players plus other top prospects and 4th liners like the Barons

So that could be a major reason as to why his point totals are soo high. I think if the talent he had to work with was similar to the league average of teams, he would probably have 10-15 points in 18 games which is still pretty amazing for a d-man.

Last edited by Ched Brosky: 11-26-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:36 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
One thing people forget to mention here along with him out-producing Eberle RNH etc and that the AHL is higher quality right now is that no team has the quality of his team right now. He is playing with 3 guys that were the top line of an NHL team last year. Most teams at best have a couple decent young players who could crack NHL lineups plus 4th line plugs.

Syracuse for comparison (1 of 2 teams ahead of Barons in the standings) has only 2 NHL players in their lineup for when the lockout ends. One was a rookie last year in Brett Connolly (who managed 15 points over 68 games in the NHL), the other a player with no NHL experience but Bolts fans say is a lock to make the team in Cory Conacher. Although Tyler Johnson may crack the Lightning as well.

Abbotsford (top team) has Baertschi (No pro experience outside junior) Horak (was a rookie last year... 60 NHL games 11 points) Brodie (also just had his rookie year... 54 games 14 points) and maybe Bouma (27 NHL games)

They don't have 3 60+ point NHL players plus other top prospects and 4th liners like the Barons
No... It's been covered lots before. People that actually watch him, and don't just try and pull out random stats, tend to agree he's been the best player on the team

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No... It's been covered lots before. People that actually watch him, and don't just try and pull out random stats, tend to agree he's been the best player on the team
I didn't say he wasn't. If I was stat watching I would assume he was. Also I don't see how I am pulling out random stats? Eberle, Hall, RNH are the Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin of the AHL right now except there are no Sedins/Stamkos etc for other teams in the league. Only 1 AHL team even has a player who has been on pace for 40 points in the NHL after playing over 50 games (Hodgson I believe is the only one who qualifies), let alone 3 who have been on pace for 70 each over a full season. Is it not fair to compare the quality of other AHL teams compared to his? For comparisons sake, if an entire NHL team's roster signed with one KHL team, would it not be fair to discuss the quality of competition compared to the quality of linemates when that team posts insane stats?

The only other team I can think thats even close to the Barons in talent is Adriondack since they have B.Schenn, Couturier, E.Wellwood, MA Bourdon, and Rinaldo. But still Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz, Paajarvi, Fedun (didn't he make the Oilers before an injury cost him all of last season?) is much much better. These 2 teams are the only teams that are stacked on paper with NHL talent.

That's why I mentioned other things that are positives like outproducing the big 3, and the higher quality of the league. But do u really think he is not a benefactor of an insanely stacked team and that if it wasn't soo stacked he wouldn't appear to be the best player in the AHL but instead a very good top prospect?

I don't think Eberle, Hall and RNH are playing to the top of their abilities as they having nothing to prove in the AHL, plus why risk getting hurt? which could be why Schultz appears to be better than them. Who knows maybe he actually is better than them and that they actually are trying/playing all out, but right now it's more realistic to think he is just a top prospect who is NHL ready. Benefiting from 3 1st line NHL players to play with until we see how he fares in the NHL.

Last edited by Ched Brosky: 11-26-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Ola

Quote:

Good point.

I've seen a little of Schultz in the AHL, and he is playing really well and what not. I am impressed with him for sure (I had pretty high expectations and he is doing better than what I expected).

But... people gotta remember / acknowledge / be aware of that the pts in itself don't say all that much to be honest. The AHL is a league in which the game is played at a furious tempo and its really hard to get ahead of the play so to speak, but once you do get there is all kinds of openings all the time. OCB is there, not JS alone, right now. JS just get a ton of pucks with all kind of time on the blue line on a regular basis. PP and 5 on 5.

Like, and I know some will react to this given his stats, but I think he is far from the best D in the AHL I've seen this season (and I've not seen all teams). But he is up there in the top 10. Peolpe talk about him being the best player on his team, I don't know. I depends completely for what criterias you use. From a objective criteria, like using the yard stick for picking 3 stars and what not, sure. Call him the best player. But what OCB has that other team has that is not the play of JS, its the forwards who other teams can't handle. At least from the little I've seen.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:38 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Good point.

I've seen a little of Schultz in the AHL, and he is playing really well and what not. I am impressed with him for sure (I had pretty high expectations and he is doing better than what I expected).

But... people gotta remember / acknowledge / be aware of that the pts in itself don't say all that much to be honest. The AHL is a league in which the game is played at a furious tempo and its really hard to get ahead of the play so to speak, but once you do get there is all kinds of openings all the time. OCB is there, not JS alone, right now. JS just get a ton of pucks with all kind of time on the blue line on a regular basis. PP and 5 on 5.

Like, and I know some will react to this given his stats, but I think he is far from the best D in the AHL I've seen this season (and I've not seen all teams). But he is up there in the top 10. Peolpe talk about him being the best player on his team, I don't know. I depends completely for what criterias you use. From a objective criteria, like using the yard stick for picking 3 stars and what not, sure. Call him the best player. But what OCB has that other team has that is not the play of JS, its the forwards who other teams can't handle. At least from the little I've seen.
Ummm... You do realize that the post you quoted was complete sarcasm right? Your argument is absolutely ridiculous

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:01 AM
sirMcDuck

It's hard to think Schultz even as a prospect when he is only 7 days younger than Erik Karlsson. It's pretty clear that guy will have good NHL-career if he stays healthy.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Good point.

People on HF are use to Oiler fans over rating their prospects based on a hot streak here and there. But you have to look at the people in this thread that are posting. These are not the guys who typically go all gaga about any shiney new toy.

What Schultz has done so far this year has been remarkable. I go back to 72 with the Oilers and I must say that offensively he reminds me a lot of a young Coffey. He does not skate as well as Coffey of course, but his anticipation and sense of when to jump into the play is very much like Coffey's. I want to stress that I am not saying he will be the next Paul Coffey, just that Schultz has demonstrated qualities that are actually fairly rare.

But what is perhaps most surprising to me is the skill and poise he has demonstrated in his own end. The Barons have a very inexperienced defense and a very young team overall. His partner has been Martin Marincin, who is an AHL rookie. They have been great all season long, and I think most would say that Schultz has played like a vet in allowing Marincin the freedom to take chances and to express his own offensive game.

I've watched every Baron's game so far this year. An while I might be biased I'd say that Schultz has been the clear best defenseman in most and the best player on the ice in many. Will it last? I don't know. But when you say that Schultz is far from the best defenseman you have seen in the AHL so far this year I really have to wonder who you think has been better.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
worraps
Acceptance

I agree that Schultz's numbers are inflated by the relative dominance of the forwards on his team. That doesn't change the fact that he is producing at a higher rate than a near PPG scorer in the NHL who is also tearing up the AHL.

As insane as it would bave sounded a month ago, at present, I don't see why Schultz outpacing Eberle will change in the NHL.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Mr Writer

I hope Hockey Canada gives him some consideration for the Olympic team...and least a chance to win a spot at the summer evaluation camp come August. If their PO run fizzles in the spring, bring all 4 to the WC team...why not? couldn't hurt any!

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I hope Hockey Canada gives him some consideration for the Olympic team...and least a chance to win a spot at the summer evaluation camp come August. If their PO run fizzles in the spring, bring all 4 to the WC team...why not? couldn't hurt any!
As big a fan as I am of Schultz's game so far I think talk of the Olympic tem is premature. There are a lot of guys in front of him. So until he plays in the NHL and shows I don't think he would get any consideration and justifiably so.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Let's not get too carried away here. He hasn't done anything that deserves such consideration as of yet. Perhaps he will in time, but not yet.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:01 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Crazy...

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
As big a fan as I am of Schultz's game so far I think talk of the Olympic tem is premature. There are a lot of guys in front of him. So until he plays in the NHL and shows I don't think he would get any consideration and justifiably so.
Time for some out of the box thinking... lets shake things up...

Old
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
I don't think he'll get any consideration, unless he is leading the nhl in defensive scoring next season. That said, I think that Weber, Doughty, and Pietro should be the only locks to make that team.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Is there really a need to shake things up.. you know.. Canada are the reigning champs

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Is there really a need to shake things up.. you know.. Canada are the reigning champs
I'm not claiming he's an automatic, I'm all for exposing the best talent to the opportunity to prove where he stacks up against his competitors. No harm in including him in the summer evaluation camp and taking a look. If he looks out of place, then he's a candidate for 2018.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
topchowda

Quote:
I'm not claiming he's an automatic, I'm all for exposing the best talent to the opportunity to prove where he stacks up against his competitors. No harm in including him in the summer evaluation camp and taking a look. If he looks out of place, then he's a candidate for 2018.
Agree with this guy, Doughty was largely considered to young to make the team but ended up being the best guy. Schultz is by no means should be considered a solid choice for a spot, but if you give a guy a try out, you never know

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:05 PM
canucksPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I don't think he'll get any consideration, unless he is leading the nhl in defensive scoring next season. That said, I think that Weber, Doughty, and Pietro should be the only locks to make that team.
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
Hamhuis - Weber
Letang

Hard to see any of those guys not making it.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote