HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Hynh

vCash: 500
For all the SH% jokers, AHL goalies are AHLers for a reason. It is safe to say that we should expect a player with NHL skills to be exploiting the goalies to higher percentage than what is considered "sustainable" in the NHL. Everyone intuitively expects his pace to drop when he transitions to the NHL and I think it is agreeable that the causes would be not just better defenders not making the same mistakes but better defenders and better goalies.

TL;DR Worrying about sustaining SH% in the AHL is flawed because the reasoning behind SH% regressing is based on NHLers facing NHLers, not NHLers facing AHLers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
Hamhuis - Weber
Letang

Hard to see any of those guys not making it.
Injuries combined with being on a hot streak might do it.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm not claiming he's an automatic, I'm all for exposing the best talent to the opportunity to prove where he stacks up against his competitors. No harm in including him in the summer evaluation camp and taking a look. If he looks out of place, then he's a candidate for 2018.
It is possible he gets an invite to the evaluation camp. But I would not be surprised at all if he did not. Doughty was a second overall pick who had already had one very good NHL year under his belt. Despite what Schultz has done he has yet to establish himself playing with the big boys.

Barring injury he is not going to beat out any of Weber, Pietrangelo, or Doughty. Keith has not be as consistent of late but he is still probably close to a lock. Offensively, you have Letang who is certainly much more established than Schultz. Others is line would be guys like Burns, who has been terrific in SJ, Seabrook, Dan Girardi, and a bunch of very good shutdown type guys.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
Hamhuis - Weber
Letang

I can quite easily see Hamhuis not making it actually

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

from highlights it looks like Eberle is just dominating/right place right time and him and Shultz are just skating and making plays through everyone

Raym11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSTaN View Post
Edmonton isn't cold, try Winnipeg. We get the extreme cold. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Where in California can you go outside and play a game of pick up hockey? On ice.
You're right, that -30 is so much worse than -25. Winterpeg is as bad as it gets south of the Arctic Circle, but Edmonton is pretty close.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I hope Hockey Canada gives him some consideration for the Olympic team...and least a chance to win a spot at the summer evaluation camp come August. If their PO run fizzles in the spring, bring all 4 to the WC team...why not? couldn't hurt any!
I don't think there is any chance Justin Schultz gets consideration for the Olympic team.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
I didn't say he wasn't. If I was stat watching I would assume he was. Also I don't see how I am pulling out random stats? Eberle, Hall, RNH are the Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin of the AHL right now except there are no Sedins/Stamkos etc for other teams in the league. Only 1 AHL team even has a player who has been on pace for 40 points in the NHL after playing over 50 games (Hodgson I believe is the only one who qualifies), let alone 3 who have been on pace for 70 each over a full season. Is it not fair to compare the quality of other AHL teams compared to his? For comparisons sake, if an entire NHL team's roster signed with one KHL team, would it not be fair to discuss the quality of competition compared to the quality of linemates when that team posts insane stats?

The only other team I can think thats even close to the Barons in talent is Adriondack since they have B.Schenn, Couturier, E.Wellwood, MA Bourdon, and Rinaldo. But still Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz, Paajarvi, Fedun (didn't he make the Oilers before an injury cost him all of last season?) is much much better. These 2 teams are the only teams that are stacked on paper with NHL talent.

That's why I mentioned other things that are positives like outproducing the big 3, and the higher quality of the league. But do u really think he is not a benefactor of an insanely stacked team and that if it wasn't soo stacked he wouldn't appear to be the best player in the AHL but instead a very good top prospect?

I don't think Eberle, Hall and RNH are playing to the top of their abilities as they having nothing to prove in the AHL, plus why risk getting hurt? which could be why Schultz appears to be better than them. Who knows maybe he actually is better than them and that they actually are trying/playing all out, but right now it's more realistic to think he is just a top prospect who is NHL ready. Benefiting from 3 1st line NHL players to play with until we see how he fares in the NHL.
You make some fair points, but couldn't the same argument also work against your point? For instance, take the last game where Schultz puts up 4 pts, Hall and Ebs 3pts, yet the Nuge gets blanked. You can say the overload of talent may lead to inflated numbers, but they can't all be on the score sheet at once. I understand people outside of Oilerville tempering their opinion because of the small sample size at the pro level, or the NHL calibre supporting cast, etc. However, at some point you have to simply watch and process what the kid does, game in and game out. The conclusion I've drawn is he has world class vision, patience and timing at the point when on the attack. Call it overrating, but his ability to create passing and shooting lanes reminds me a bit of Ray Bourque (keep in mind, I'm not saying his overall game). Erik Karlsson created ways to get pucks on net (though he is a much better stick handler at the point), but the point of bringing him up is he takes a much different approach than most of his peers who just want to unleash bomb after bomb.

Bottom line is, the kid has been the best player on that team, and as you mentioned it is a team with no shortage of talent.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
Hamhuis - Weber
Letang

Most of those guys are RH defensemen as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
from highlights it looks like Eberle is just dominating/right place right time and him and Shultz are just skating and making plays through everyone
Eberle has really turned his game up a notch in the last 8-10 games, Schultz has been great from the word go.

11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Kershaw

Notice how the Barons start playing well with Hall and Eberle/Schultz go on a tear. Hall is their best player.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
As for the next Bobby Orr that's ridiculous quote me the post where an Oilers fan said something like that or else you'll come across as trying to stir the pot and full of it.

Ill just go ahead and justify it.

Messier-Gretzky-Bure
Chara-Orr

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Notice how the Barons start playing well with Hall and Eberle/Schultz go on a tear. Hall is their best player.
This happened with Hall on the Oilers last season too, but for some reason opposing fans think that they know best and don't give him any respect.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:44 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This happened with Hall on the Oilers last season too, but for some reason opposing fans think that they know best and don't give him any respect.
Even Oilers fans do it. No hands, no balance, blah, blah.

Fact is the puck is in the offensive zone whenever he's on the ice. Gonna turn into points for somebody.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Most of those guys are RH defensemen as well.

Eberle has really turned his game up a notch in the last 8-10 games, Schultz has been great from the word go.
Zomg! Taylor Hall has 10GP.

Damn, I was beaten to it. But yeah, Hall.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Even Oilers fans do it. No hands, no balance, blah, blah.

Fact is the puck is in the offensive zone whenever he's on the ice. Gonna turn into points for somebody.
Hall is the engine that drives everything for the young Oiler properties.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:09 PM
AngelDuck

All those guys are amazing, and don't really belong in the AHL. (Schultz, Eberle, Hall, RNH)

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:25 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
All those guys are amazing, and don't really belong in the AHL. (Schultz, Eberle, Hall, RNH)
They wouldn't be there under better circumstances, but in a way I'm glad they are.

RNH is still very young, Hall is coming off major surgery, and this is a nice bridge in talent level for Schultz to get into pro hockey at the shallow end of the pool.

Plus they are getting a chance to gel as a unit without getting constantly hammered on by other NHL players. This chance to get familiar with each other should help a lot when they take the step back up to NHL competition.

It could only be better if Yakupov had been eligible to play too.

now, iam not happy there is an NHL stoppage, just that this is a silver lining of sorts for my favorite team.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Exit Dose

How is PRV doing? I haven't heard much about him with all the clamor around the stars.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
How is PRV doing? I haven't heard much about him with all the clamor around the stars.
Actually started to add a physical element to his game, which he needs to try and make it as a 3rd liner in the NHL. He still has no idea how to create offense, and its not really improving. Just no hockey IQ.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Exactly. The people who think Eberle>Hall make me laugh. Hall is easily better. Hall is an amazing young player.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:56 PM
40oz

Quote:
He's played well and his physical game has blossomed some this year, he's also started crashing the net more rather than lob wristers and the goalies. But him and his line (Lander and Hartikainen) isnt putting up much in terms of points on a regular basis. But they play hard, draw penalties, and are strong along the boards.
Unfortunately the PP time is hard to come by in OKC.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
Hall is the engine that drives everything for the young Oiler properties.
His impact is massive in terms of the team winning. When Hall plays every other player gets more space just because he's tearing around and one of the D needs to follow him. The difference when he is in an out of the lineup is night and day. Eberle in particular is having a field day walking around defenders because Hall has taken the other one out of the play. With Eberle's hands he's probably going to beat an AHL D one on one 90% of the time.

That being said, Schultz is producing at about the same rate as he was pre Hall, so I'm not sure Hall's return can fully explain what Schultz is doing.

Quote:
He's coming along nicely. He has 12p in 18 games. Still needs to add a bit more polish to his game but he's playing grittier this season which is great to see. I expect he'll play the season in the A regardless of if an NHL season happens or not.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
From the games I've watched, he's been a little underwhelming. He's thrown his body around though, which is nice to see, he's a decent PKer and he has tremendous speed. But he simply has no ****ing idea how to score goals.
As for his NHL future, the consensus on the Oilers board seems to be that he should become a Radek Dvorak-type 3rd liner.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:23 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

That being said, Schultz is producing at about the same rate as he was pre Hall, so I'm not sure Hall's return can fully explain what Schultz is doing.
While I agree that Hall's presence hugely and more immediately opens space for the other forwards, I would imagine that is insertion to the line up makes it much harder for the opposition to try adjust to covering Schultz (and vice versa.)

The more talent you have in your line up the exponentially harder it is to neutralize any given player. I also think having to keep an eye to the blue line (due to Schultz,) also frees up a tonne of ice for the forwards. This is a facet opposition teams had an easy ride against the Oilers during recent seasons. they could focus on the kids without much care for offense from the blue line.

Hopefully more weapons in different positions sees more success from all of them.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
Hamhuis - Weber
Letang

is this some kind of sick joke?

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:35 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
is this some kind of sick joke?
lol I'm surprised that went under the radar for as long as it did.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote