HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
A Western Canadian boy
Everything I know about Western Canada I learned from Bryzgalov.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
Who the hell turns down Southern California for Western Canada?
I'd rather live in the densest forest than in the most exciting city. Not everyone can or should like the same ****. People need to learn this.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
This choice isn't even close. Orange County is some kind of hell specifically dreamed up for my personal nightmares.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:49 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
This choice isn't even close. Orange County is some kind of hell specifically dreamed up for my personal nightmares.
Yeah, I'm sure the Ducks players all just hate the nice beaches and fine ladies of Southern California. I'd much rather be in Canada freezing my ass off

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the Ducks players all just hate the nice beaches and fine ladies of Southern California. I'd much rather be in Canada freezing my ass off
is indeed optimal because it's quite silly to assume to every single person in the world agrees with you. I'd much rather be in Canada enjoying the beautiful outdoors and clean air than sitting in traffic for half my life sucking down tailpipe exhaust and trying to deal with ladies whose personalities are made of the same thing as their bodies: plastic.

....and that's not even taking into account the hockey aspect.

Last edited by Xokkeu: 11-19-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old
11-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
For all we know Schultz is just here for the short-term. Rack up some points with some talented forwards, then cash in somewhere else. Hopefully we pay him what he deserves and he stays though. He's looking outstanding so far, and is meshing well with his teammates. Couldn't ask for much more.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:09 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Why wouldn't you rather be in Canada?? One of the greatest things in life is being able to skate on outdoor rinks and play shinny with a bunch of strangers...

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:14 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
is indeed optimal because it's quite silly to assume to every single person in the world agrees with you. I'd much rather be in Canada enjoying the beautiful outdoors and clean air than sitting in traffic for half my life sucking down tailpipe exhaust and trying to deal with ladies whose personalities are made of the same thing as their bodies: plastic.

....and that's not even taking into account the hockey aspect.
Well it's also quite silly to assume everyone agrees with you. Schultz wanted to go to Canada and I get why, he was born and raised there.

I'm just saying, you said that the Orange County was your version of "Hell". Then I pointed out that it's really an awesome lifestyle that many people love, and others dream about. Then you got defensive.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:40 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Well it's also quite silly to assume everyone agrees with you. Schultz wanted to go to Canada and I get why, he was born and raised there.

I'm just saying, you said that the Orange County was your version of "Hell". Then I pointed out that it's really an awesome lifestyle that many people love, and others dream about. Then you got defensive.
So I pointed out that I don't like Orange County, but that somehow means that I assume everyone agrees with me? Interesting leap.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:

Yet from my point of view, you were being defensive when you chimed in about how great Cali is.

Just for the record I love Cali too. Not a fan of freezing my ass off, but Canada is special in it's own way and I do love living here.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:32 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I've lived in Edmonton AND LA. I can say that as a 20-30 year old, I prefer the social life and entertainment value of LA over Edmonton. But as a younger kid, I liked the outdoorsy feel of Edmonton more. Not saying either place is good or bad, just depends on your preference at whichever point in your life.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:45 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
I've lived in Edmonton AND LA. I can say that as a 20-30 year old, I prefer the social life and entertainment value of LA over Edmonton. But as a younger kid, I liked the outdoorsy feel of Edmonton more. Not saying either place is good or bad, just depends on your preference at whichever point in your life.
In my honest opinion I think Schultz probably looked at Taylor Hall, Yakupov, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins and thought, "this could be fun." If he just wanted to play at home he would have signed for the Canucks. (He lived in Wisconsin for 3 years so he's clearly not afraid of needing a jacket) Instead he probably looked at the Oilers and thought, this team might be Pittsburgh 2007. Anaheim have some great players but when Teemu retires, with Getzlaf and Perry UFAs, Bobby Ryan trade rumors and some rumored cheapskate owners, the situation could turn south quickly.

I think it's a lot more of a hockey decision than anything.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
It was a hockey decision - the opportunity to play with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov made the decision easy.

On a side note: for people who are not wealthy athletes, Canada is the clear choice because of health care. I love the weather in California and Arizona but, having someone in my family get sick shouldn't cost me significant money. All of my American friends lament the health care system and that is the one thing that keeps me in Canada. I simply couldn't afford to get a serious disease in the US. If the USA had Canadian-style healthcare, I would likely live in Phoenix right now.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
It was a hockey decision - the opportunity to play with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov made the decision easy.

On a side note: for people who are not wealthy athletes, Canada is the clear choice because of health care. I love the weather in California and Arizona but, having someone in my family get sick shouldn't cost me significant money. All of my American friends lament the health care system and that is the one thing that keeps me in Canada. I simply couldn't afford to get a serious disease in the US. If the USA had Canadian-style healthcare, I would likely live in Phoenix right now.
If you're a Canadian citizen and you are granted a work visa in the US there is about a 99% chance that you're job will have quality healthcare attached to it. Looking Latino would be a better reason not to live in Arizona.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
If you're a Canadian citizen and you are granted a work visa in the US there is about a 99% chance that you're job will have quality healthcare attached to it. Looking Latino would be a better reason not to live in Arizona.
What is your definition of quality healthcare? My friends all have a $5,000 annual deductible and if they were to get cancer or diabetes....yikes! One of my friends in AZ had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago and said the healthcare was really good - only cost him $1,900 out of his own pocket!

Getting sick shouldn't force you into bankruptcy.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:02 AM
voxel

Quote:
Why turn down NYC or Florida (Miami) too? As a free agent he could signed anywhere.

Actually, I'm surprised he didn't choose a team like Lightning or the Hawks. Maybe he really wanted to be in Canada.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
What is your definition of quality healthcare? My friends all have a $5,000 annual deductible and if they were to get cancer or diabetes....yikes! One of my friends in AZ had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago and said the healthcare was really good - only cost him $1,900 out of his own pocket!

Getting sick shouldn't force you into bankruptcy.
He's also going to be a multimillionaire. I don't think he has to worry about medical bankruptcy the way that I or any of the other Americans here might.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:35 AM
ricky0034

some of us actually LIKE cold weather

just saying

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:25 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Weather and climate had nothing to do with his choice. Ice-time and team make-up were the driving forces here.

Call me crazy, but I would prefer to live in Alberta over California.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:33 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
I live in calgary and have travelled all over the world and have yet to find a place I'd rather live. Alberta is amazing and I bet most people here that say it sucks have never been. Come visit, I bet we have more money than whatever state you're from

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Musashi

who wants to live in a place half the size of bc, yet has a bigger population then all of canada

something about a cold winter that really weeds out most of the ****** from choosing to live here

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

plus, don't forget that other than Texas and Florida (I believe) Alberta has the lowest taxes in the NHL

he's be taking in more money here

and let's not forget the these guys go a road trips to warmer climates throughout the season, and go golfing in Palm Springs with Owner Katz (who has a home there), fly on private jets, stay in great hotels

it's not a bad lifestyle...Gretz handled it

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Hynh

You get as much as 2:30 hours more sunlight in the summers. Pretty good deal if you are into hiking or something similar.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Yes it is depressing to have the sun go down at 5:00PM in the summer.
I enjoy my sunlight until 10:00PM.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:20 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
He's also going to be a multimillionaire. I don't think he has to worry about medical bankruptcy the way that I or any of the other Americans here might.
for the NHS

and i know he having a great season so far, but i and many duck fans would have predicted this we knew the kid was NHL ready that why he was offered the last 10- 15 games of the season and why give TML someone of Gardner quality, Schultz has nothing to prove at this level the real test is when he finally gets a go at the NHL if that ever happens

DuckshaveaRPG is offline   Reply With Quote