HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
The Luongo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't understand how people don't think Luongo is a good idea. Sure the contract looks bad but I'm sure Burke will have a way out of it. Plus do we really want to rely on Reimer? One of the things stopping us from making the playoffs is a #1 goaltender. Everyone knows that Reimer is our most important player going into a playable season. I'd feel a lot better saying Luongo was in our net then Reimer.
Contract doesn't scare me at all, as long as we can still bury cap hits in the A. He has a NTC, not an NMC. Not much risk to the richest eam in the league.
Last post.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Peter Griffin

So just curious, what do the Leafs fans that want Luongo think is a fair offer for him taking into consideration the Canucks' needs?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
So just curious, what do the Leafs fans that want Luongo think is a fair offer for him taking into consideration the Canucks' needs?
Cond. 7th if he is still with a >.915 % in the last year of his contract.

LOL If you don't know what sarcasm is..

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Aplayaz2000

as a man who thinks he's a decent goalie with great success

bad contract, rather pass
plus i love Reimer!

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Cond. 7th if he is still with a >.915 % in the last year of his contract.

LOL If you don't know what sarcasm is..
Soooo....is that in the 2022 or 2023 draft?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:
Kessel, Rielly,(Not a snowball's chance in heck)
Lupul, Gardiner, JVR,( Preferred centrepieces)
1st, Kulemin, Kadri.(Would require any 2 of these if none of the above tier)

With Colborne, Ashton, 2nd round picks, Frattin, etc. being throw ins.

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.
hahhahahaha good one man! what a joke. You think you would even get a 1st round pick on it's own? nevermind +kadri + 1st for luongo (that's just hilarious). I don't think so.

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
I don't think Canucks fans will ever be satisfied with what Leafs fans would offer. Personally, the following would be available:

Blacker
Colborne
Kadri
Frattin
Picks after the first round
and other prospects

These are the main pieces the Leafs would be willing to deal. Like it or not, I believe that's the reality of the situation. If the Canucls can do better then Kadri or Colborne, then that's great, good luck.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
hahhahahaha good one man! what a joke. You think you would even get a 1st round pick on it's own? nevermind +kadri + 1st for luongo (that's just hilarious). I don't think so.
Okay. But I don't think we'll move Luongo for less. We won't move him unless we become noticeably better, whether now or in the future.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:52 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Okay. But I don't think we'll move Luongo for less. We won't move him unless we become noticeably better, whether now or in the future.
Then keep him. Good luck having that much of the cap on 2 goalies. This is what Canucks fans don't seem to understand; the 29 teams around the league know you're cornered. On top of this, you have a handful of teams to deal to. Mainly, 2, being Miami and Toronto and the Panthers aren't likely interested. If I'm the Leafs GM I know you don't have leverage. You wanna go into the next NHL season with that much committed to 2 goalies, thats fine, you do that. The Canucks have much less leverage than Gillis has hypnotized the fans into.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:47 AM
cloak

Luongo is a good idea?

LOL

not sure if serious.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
If I was Vancouver, I would personally want Bozak in the deal. With recent injuries to Kesler, I would want someone who can play #3 center behind him when he is healthy but move up into the top 6 if needed from injuries.

That wouldn't be enough though, don't know what else they would want however. Their team is pretty solid so it's not like they have needs, they more have areas to upgrade and I'm not sure which area is the most dire. Would they want a skilled guy to replace what they lost when they traded Hodgson? Or are they looking for more of what they got in return in that deal (Kassian)? Do they want a goalie in the deal?

That's what makes a fair trade for both teams more difficult. Hard to pin down exactly what they need. It's mostly just upgrades at spots they need and if they are trading Luongo they want a sizable upgrade, but no team seems to be willing to do that.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:20 AM
K19*

I think the best thing that could happen to this franchise would be to bottom out once again and get, at minimum, a top-5 pick in 2013. There's a good chance it could fill our glaring #1C need for the next 10-15 years.

BUT, I don't think Burke nor ownership would go for that. Knowing this, I think Luongo is a decent option. He would make us a legitimate borderline playoff team. This team needs that because right now our goaltending is terrible and we have no credibility. Add a Luongo to what we have and suddenly we're a much better team.

To summarize: I'd tank for an attempt at a potential franchise player in 2013, but knowing Burke/ownership likely won't, I think Luongo is a pretty decent option all things considered.

The question is "how much will we give up?"

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:28 AM
lampshade*

I would much prefer him over Reimer. With the tendy random we have now we cannot expect to go anywhere or soon. That said a over payment for him would be stupid, something this org is very capable and has a consistent past record of doing.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:45 AM
DaveT83*

I can't believe some of you are talking about including Gardner/1sts/Frattins/Blackers etc

Have none of you learned anything from the last decade?
You're ignorance is astounding.
I'm truly embarrassed to be a part of this fan base.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:56 AM
htpwn

Quote:

I've gone over with you about this before on the Trade Board. Many, if not the majority, of us Leaf fans would welcome Luongo on this team but are not interested in trading anything significant to get him.

From our perspective, you have a 34-year-old goalie on your hands with a large, long-term contract and a NTC with very limited suitors. You have to be absolutely daft to bring up names like Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner, or Lupul. The only way those names move, period, is if Kesler is coming back the other way.

In fact, I wouldn't even trade Kulemin, 1st, or Kadri straight up for Luongo, let alone two of them in a package.

You'll get something along the lines of MacArthur and a 2nd for Luongo if he does get traded to Toronto. It is a fair return given the circumstances.

Last edited by htpwn: 10-20-2012 at 07:13 AM.
htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:29 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

everything depends on what the cba looks like. if its status quo or changes so the hit stays with his team post retirement, his value will be low. If it changes to his hit staying with the team he signed the contract with then his value will be high.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:30 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Then keep him. Good luck having that much of the cap on 2 goalies. This is what Canucks fans don't seem to understand; the 29 teams around the league know you're cornered. On top of this, you have a handful of teams to deal to. Mainly, 2, being Miami and Toronto and the Panthers aren't likely interested. If I'm the Leafs GM I know you don't have leverage. You wanna go into the next NHL season with that much committed to 2 goalies, thats fine, you do that. The Canucks have much less leverage than Gillis has hypnotized the fans into.
Leafs will not get Luongo for cheap. Having two good goalies is a tremendous asset. Both are tradable. The bigger problem is not having a decent #1 goalie which puts the Leafs in a desperate position. furthermore, Burke is not in a great position since he has huge pressure to make the playoffs. Their fans and ownership want that as well. If anything the Leafs will overpay. It will cost them something like Gardiner, Kadri and some throw-ins/picks. Some on here will not like that because, hell, they want Luongo for almost nothing but you have to give to get a #1 like Luongo. That's just being realistic.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:31 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I've gone over with you about this before on the Trade Board. Many, if not the majority, of us Leaf fans would welcome Luongo on this team but are not interested in trading anything significant to get him.

From our perspective, you have a 34-year-old goalie on your hands with a large, long-term contract and a NTC with very limited suitors. You have to be absolutely daft to bring up names like Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner, or Lupul. The only way those names move, period, is if Kesler is coming back the other way.

In fact, I wouldn't even trade Kulemin, 1st, or Kadri straight up for Luongo, let alone two of them in a package.

You'll get something along the lines of MacArthur and a 2nd for Luongo if he does get traded to Toronto. It is a fair return given the circumstances.
Another example of what I'm saying.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:32 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

And he's 33.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:34 AM
MapleReef

Made me laugh too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
I would only give a first if Vancouver took salary too.....maybe a Connolly or a Komasirek?

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:34 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I can't believe some of you are talking about including Gardner/1sts/Frattins/Blackers etc

Have none of you learned anything from the last decade?
You're ignorance is astounding.
I'm truly embarrassed to be a part of this fan base.
Then you forget about Luongo and find a solution elsewhere. Gillis will not simply give him away for AHLers just to help out pour Burkie.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Bozak + Rights to Franson + 2012 2nd

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:37 AM
MapleReef

It's Gillis who needs the help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Then you forget about Luongo and find a solution elsewhere. Gillis will not simply give him away for AHLers just to help out pour Burkie.
Bet that is exactly what he ends up doing!

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:46 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
Bet that is exactly what he ends up doing!
I think so too. It does not solve the goalie situation but we keep or top prospects. But it likely means no playoff again which is disappointing. If one of Reimer/Scrievens turn out to be genuine #1 then that would be the best course of action. If both of them fail then the Leafs have the same problem next year with even more pressure to land a #1 and will likely have to give up more assets to get a #1.