HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Chiuozu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post

If we can find a deal that makes sense for our club (no 1st rounder or top prospects) then I hope Burke does it.
Oh, this I agree with. But the thing is - Vancouver fans (And I know the disconnect between fans and GM's is generally huge, but it's all we have) want at least a 1st Rounder or a Top Prospect.

If that's the price - then no way. Way to much risk.

I just don't think Carlyle can fix all our defensive issues with 1 year. We have players who are porous defensively, and others who are supposed to be decent, but have ingrained bad habits from Wilson Hockey.

Given the climate of the Toronto fanbase, the snake-like attitude of the disgusting Toronto media, and Luongo's mental fragility, and I'm not liking our odds.

Chiuozu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Interactif

Again, people missing the point. I wonder what assurances Gillis gave Burke for not tendering an offer sheet on Schneider this summer? Why wouldn't the Leafs do this knowing it would have backed Gillis into a match situation. Burke could have had Gillis by the balls if he forced his hand. 9.33M for 2 goalies could have been 10M+ easily if Burke wanted to stick it to The Nucks.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Toronto now>>>>>Florida then. They were quite literally the worst team since the lockout while Luongo was there.

I don't see why some Leafs fans want to tank. Kessel, Lupul, Grabovski, and Phaneuf, are all in their primes right now. Why waste their years by sucking instead of trying to start competing? Gardiner's going to continue his development this year, while Rielly will likely make the team in a year or two.
I really think that you should re-word this because this does not make any sense, do you really know who was on the team? While I wouldn't say that the Leafs are worse but they certainly (IMO) aren't >>>>> greater than the Panthers.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
I really think that you should re-word this because this does not make any sense, do you really know who was on the team? While I wouldn't say that the Leafs are worse but they certainly (IMO) aren't >>>>> greater than the Panthers.
Well if you compare on a player by playet basis and see how many ">" you come up with.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Again, people missing the point. I wonder what assurances Gillis gave Burke for not tendering an offer sheet on Schneider this summer? Why wouldn't the Leafs do this knowing it would have backed Gillis into a match situation. Burke could have had Gillis by the balls if he forced his hand. 9.33M for 2 goalies could have been 10M+ easily if Burke wanted to stick it to The Nucks.

Edit: NVM.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:02 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
I'd bet on toronto ripping up Luongo in no time.

Yeah, our goaltending has sucked, but even if/when it improves a lot with Luongo, we would still be as viscious and he wouldn't last long in this town.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post

Yeah, our goaltending has sucked, but even if/when it improves a lot with Luongo, we would still be as viscious and he wouldn't last long in this town.
Always fun when YOU KNOW lol. Hey we just got an all-star ****ing goalie... one of our biggest needs.... for pretty cheap too...... run him out of town? Yup.

But seriously, I find people are more viscious to **** goalies like Raycroft, Toskala, Pogge, Giguere to some extent etc. When we had CuJo, Potvin, and Belfour... they were treated like royalty. Remember when Giguere had the shutout in his first game? God.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:19 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post

He handled the pressure in Vancouver...

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJayMann View Post
There isn't anything wrong with that, but the 1st could potentially be our 1c, with this deep C draft. Fanson makes sense going the other way, so does a forward making over 3 million. With a possible decreasing cap, and the ability to no longer bury contracts in the minors Van will have to take salary back.

I think a deal is entirely possible without having to give up our first rounder. 1st or 30th overall selections, teams in our position need these picks.
The draft is under-water?

Terrible I know, but I had to. And I'm bored.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Frankly Toronto will be a joke compared to Vancouver. Here he was expected to win the cup every year. In Toronto it will just be playoffs and they erect a statue of him.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Always fun when YOU KNOW lol. Hey we just got an all-star ****ing goalie... one of our biggest needs.... for pretty cheap too...... run him out of town? Yup.

But seriously, I find people are more viscious to **** goalies like Raycroft, Toskala, Pogge, Giguere to some extent etc. When we had CuJo, Potvin, and Belfour... they were treated like royalty. Remember when Giguere had the shutout in his first game? God.
Yeah, and people were ready to run Belfour out of town and conveniently forgot their stance when he demonstrated how damn good he was. I'm confident that would happen because Luongo is an elite option at goaltender-- this team should do anything, within reason, to get him. Good goalies are IMPOSSIBLE to get via trade generally. How people can't be willing to roll the dice on him boggles my mind.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:46 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Frankly Toronto will be a joke compared to Vancouver. Here he was expected to win the cup every year. In Toronto it will just be playoffs and they erect a statue of him.
That's ****ing bull ****.

Fans of any team always want more because it's human nature to always want more. Last several years we haven't made the playoffs, so we want them badly. As soon as we make the playoffs we are going to want more. If you think the Leafs fan base will be satisfied with just making the playoffs then you're out of your mind.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:59 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Vancouver can't deal with the fact their team chokes in the playoffs so they blame the goalie.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Vancouver can't deal with the fact their team chokes in the playoffs so they blame the goalie.
It depends. Against Chicago some of his performances were inexcusable; they are the one team that gets under his skin. In the Boston series though there's not a single goalie who could have one the cup with the way the team played in front of him.

Luckily for Toronto the odds are extremely unlikely they ever meet Chicago in the playoffs.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
It depends. Against Chicago some of his performances were inexcusable; they are the one team that gets under his skin. In the Boston series though there's not a single goalie who could have one the cup with the way the team played in front of him.

Luckily for Toronto the odds are extremely unlikely they ever meet Chicago in the playoffs.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Chicago's got a good of a chance as anybody in the west

Old
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Every teams goal is Cup.
It would take 1 playoff game for Leaf nation to start demanding a Cup ....

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
Every teams goal is Cup.
It would take 1 playoff game for Leaf nation to start demanding a Cup ....
As long as your team can actually score, Luongo is good enough to get it done.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:34 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
hehe you say here as if you live in Vancouver

That's cute

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

That's cute
Heart of a Canuck.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:51 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

That's cute
Don't bust his balls for that.
I catch myself doing the same thing (cities reversed). After years of being in b.c

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:08 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
First of all, do we really have any reason to believe that Schneider and his agent were open to the idea of signing an offer sheet?

Second, wouldn't Gillis just matched the offer and then traded Luongo to anywhere but Toronto?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:11 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Yeah, and people were ready to run Belfour out of town and conveniently forgot their stance when he demonstrated how damn good he was. I'm confident that would happen because Luongo is an elite option at goaltender-- this team should do anything, within reason, to get him. Good goalies are IMPOSSIBLE to get via trade generally. How people can't be willing to roll the dice on him boggles my mind.
Well said, and I couldnt agree with you more. Goaltending is by far, the biggest need, and to not want to address it with a pretty good goaltender is ridiculous. No one really knows if he comes to Toronto, what the cost will be, but I doubt it will be as high as many seem to expect; probably somewhere in the middle of all the never ending trade proposals. Some goaltenders do have long shelf lives, at 33 I believe he may have 3-5 years left of good play, probably 3-4, he has alot of miles, and seen plenty of rubber over the years, especially when in Florida.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:14 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post

Belfour was booed in TO before he ever even played a game.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Well if you compare on a player by playet basis and see how many ">" you come up with.
1 Olli Jokinen
2 Joe Nieuwendyk
3 Jozef Stumpel
4 Nathan Horton
5 Jay Bouwmeester
6 Martin Gelinas
7 Gary Roberts
8 Chris Gratton
9 Mike Van Ryn
10 Juraj Kolnik
11 Stephen Weiss
So I see 2 HHoFers (IMO) Olli, Horton, J-Bo, Gelinas and a young Weiss.....Who on our team now is going to the HHoF?

Last edited by Borjes Baumingdyk: 10-21-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:15 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
I'm not a fan of John Shannon, but on the fan 590 last week, he went on to say that it is believed throughout the NHL among executives, scouts and media types, the Vancouver media is much harder on players than in Toronto, whereas in the Toronto media it is the coaches and GM's that take the brunt of the criticism, not the players. Shannon also went on to list the 20 or so goalies that played for Vancouver over the years and had challenges. The belief is if Lou comes to Toronto, he would thrive here moreso than in Vancouver.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote