HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
TmlHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We'll see. Kadri would be ideally suited for our 2nd line, as a playmaker playing with Kesler and Booth, but Vigneault can be really tough on rookies in making them earn their minutes, but hopefully he does well wherever he ends up.
Honestly, I hope Kadri doesn't get traded and I hope he gets a decent chance in the NHL as a top six forward.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Most would not consider a #2C, a #3C on Vancouver an overpayment for a #1G. Leafs may need cap room for later deals that will fill the top 6 void, that's the difference between Bozak and keeping Grabo. Burke is going to turnover this team to make it a winner, no one including Kessel is safe on this team if he can get players that will improve this team. They are all chess pieces to an end.
Most would consider Grabo an overpayment and where he fits on the Canucks depth chart is meaningless.

If there is another deal to be made down the road, cap space won't prevent it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Vastly superior? lol He'll fall victim to the same team defensive lapses like any other of our goalies. I will admit that Schenn is gone, but we still have a somewhat weak defense according to our record the last few years. It would be a pleasant surprise if Carlyle can tighten up our defense as a team!

The pressure on Lu in Toronto will be far greater than in Vancouver. He might just wilt under it! He could not take a VASTLY superior team in Vancouver to the promised land! What make anyone think he'll do it with an inferior Leaf team?

Just say NO to Luongo and his wretched contract unless all we give up for him is our trash! Even if all we give up is our garbage, that contract will be an albatross around our GM's neck for years to come!
I keep hearing this but don't understand it.

Vancouver is a Cup contending team whose fans expectations are Cup or bust. Meanwhile in Toronto just making the playoffs will be seen as a win in the fan base's eyes. How is that exactly is the pressure greater?

As far as him not taking "a VASTLY superior team to the promise land": He took the lowest scoring team since the expansion to game 7 of the Finals. He was the ONLY reason Vancouver got that far & weren't swept. 11 of his 15 wins were 1 goal games. he took them as far as he could without scoring some goals himself!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I keep hearing this but don't understand it.

Vancouver is a Cup contending team whose fans expectations are Cup or bust. Meanwhile in Toronto just making the playoffs will be seen as a win in the fan base's eyes. How is that exactly is the pressure greater?

As far as him not taking "a VASTLY superior team to the promise land": He took the lowest scoring team since the expansion to game 7 of the Finals. He was the ONLY reason Vancouver got that far & weren't swept. 11 of his 15 wins were 1 goal games. he took them as far as he could without scoring some goals himself!
The guy would be a God in Toronto just for providing adequate goaltending for the first time in almost a decade

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:42 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
The guy would be a God in Toronto just for providing adequate goaltending for the first time in almost a decade
This is absolutely true. He better have thick skin though if he lets in an early softee.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
This is absolutely true. He better have thick skin though if he lets in an early softee.
That's the problem. I heard he didn't like the pressure in Vancouver. If so, we'd be a nightmare for him

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Bills09

Tyler Bozak+2nd book it.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
That's the problem. I heard he didn't like the pressure in Vancouver. If so, we'd be a nightmare for him
I see this a lot but I think fans in this city are EXTREMELY lenient when it comes to goaltenders. Raycroft AND Toskala both had huge groups of people coming up with a million excuses why they were so bad, and they didn't have a fraction of the talent a Luongo has. Even Reimer last season did not receive as much criticism as he probably deserved, it was just excuse after excuse ("he's coming off a concussion bla bla bla").

I would say Vancouver is infinitely harsher when it comes to their goaltenders than Toronto is.

Luongo would be the first genuine starting goalie this team has lacked since Belfour turned 40 and Cujo stabbed us in the back.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I see this a lot but I think fans in this city are EXTREMELY lenient when it comes to goaltenders. Raycroft AND Toskala both had huge groups of people coming up with a million excuses why they were so bad, and they didn't have a fraction of the talent a Luongo has. Even Reimer last season did not receive as much criticism as he probably deserved, it was just excuse after excuse ("he's coming off a concussion bla bla bla").

I would say Vancouver is infinitely harsher when it comes to their goaltenders than Toronto is.

Luongo would be the first genuine starting goalie this team has lacked since Belfour turned 40 and Cujo stabbed us in the back.
Belfour was boo'd his first game, I was there.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

With all this CBA BS going on it's tough to negotiate a price for Luongo...

If the 'cap hit' for longterm contracts continues if they retire, Bobby Lu is worth nothing but a 3rd round pick + B prospect...

If there is a 'grandfather' rule that excepts the cap circumvention contracts that have already been signed, Bobby Lu is worth more. Maybe Colborne + Komisarek + 2nd

either way Burke has all the leverage in the negotiations and unless we win this deal, i wouldn't do it.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Belfour was boo'd his first game, I was there.
I remember that. But that was an extension of his ATROCIOUS pre-season and letting in a very bad goal on what I believe to be the first shot of the game, if memory serves correctly. But then he quickly settled down, his talent spoke for itself and there was a significantly higher amount of Eddie chants than booing during the rest of his Toronto career. This city is starving for some real talent in the net. Luongo would be a king.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Steveorama

Bozak, Kadri + a 3rd round pick.
Book it.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
With all this CBA BS going on it's tough to negotiate a price for Luongo...

If the 'cap hit' for longterm contracts continues if they retire, Bobby Lu is worth nothing but a 3rd round pick + B prospect...

If there is a 'grandfather' rule that excepts the cap circumvention contracts that have already been signed, Bobby Lu is worth more. Maybe Colborne + Komisarek + 2nd

either way Burke has all the leverage in the negotiations and unless we win this deal, i wouldn't do it.
I fail to see how Burke has all the leverage when Gillis could just turn around and deal Luongo to Florida or Chicago or Edmonton, or keep him in Vancouver. Burke is the one in need of a goalie, and Gillis is the one with an extra goalie who's available. Sounds like a perfect storm for a trade, but if one tries to one up the other a deal won't get done.

10-22-2012, 04:44 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Most would not consider a #2C, a #3C on Vancouver an overpayment for a #1G. Leafs may need cap room for later deals that will fill the top 6 void, that's the difference between Bozak and keeping Grabo. Burke is going to turnover this team to make it a winner, no one including Kessel is safe on this team if he can get players that will improve this team. They are all chess pieces to an end.
We save .200 in cap space by moving Grabo for Luongo. Why not just wait 1 season until Lambo, Connoly etc are off the books. We all know you hate Grabo, but your logic is flawed, it's not even borderline insanity, it's just straight up craziness!

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I fail to see how Burke has all the leverage when Gillis could just turn around and deal Luongo to Florida or Chicago or Edmonton, or keep him in Vancouver. Burke is the one in need of a goalie, and Gillis is the one with an extra goalie who's available. Sounds like a perfect storm for a trade, but if one tries to one up the other a deal won't get done.
Florida has 3 goalies and one of them very young and already very good. They are already out. I highly doubt Gillis is going to trade Luongo to their arch-rivals outside of their division, barring a huge overpayment that Chicago will not pay. They are out. Edmonton doesn't even have an arena to play in, in the next few years, and they aren't going to sell their team for a goaltender when they need defensemen. The problem is Burke has all the leverage because Gillis has no where to go with Luongo.

10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Florida has arguably the best goaltending prospect in the league in their system. They're not going to stunt his development for the next 7-10 years by acquiring Luongo. It has been widely reported they have little interest in dealing anything of consequence for Luongo.

Vancouver sure as hell isn't trading Luongo to a division rival (Edmonton).

Nor are they trading him within the conference to one of their arch nemeses (Chicago).

You must also take into account that Luongo controls where he goes.

Any other teams I can shoot down for you?

Hilarious to see you STILL think you're in the drivers seat here when you have so many things going against you. Cannot WAIT for this trade to be consummated to see the outrage on the Canucks boards.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Florida has 3 goalies and one of them very young and already very good. They are already out. I highly doubt Gillis is going to trade Luongo to their arch-rivals outside of their division, barring a huge overpayment that Chicago will not pay. They are out. Edmonton doesn't even have an arena to play in, in the next few years, and they aren't going to sell their team for a goaltender when they need defensemen. The problem is Burke has all the leverage because Gillis has no where to go with Luongo.
Edmonton needs defense and could use a goalie.

I don't understand the logic behind Gillis willingly taking less from another team to avoid getting a better deal from a team in the West. I don't see how that makes any sense whatsoever. If a team like Chicago makes a fair offer and a team like Toronto doesn't, then I fully expect Luongo to be in Chicago. If no teams make a fair offer then I fully expect Luongo to be in a Canucks uniform whenever hockey starts again. I don't see how any team can claim an advantage in this situation.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Florida has arguably the best goaltending prospect in the league in their system. They're not going to stunt his development for the next 7-10 years by acquiring Luongo. It has been widely reported they have little interest in dealing anything of consequence for Luongo.

Nor are they trading him within the conference to one of their arch nemeses (Chicago).

Hilarious to see you STILL think you're in the drivers seat here when you have so many things going against you. Cannot WAIT for this trade to be consummated to see the outrage on the Canucks boards.
Why do you think Gillis would take significantly less from the Leafs in order to avoid trading with Edmonton or Chicago? Gillis has gone on record saying that he has no problems dealing with anyone in the league, and is more concerned about acquiring the pieces to build his team as opposed to what other rivals are doing.

Luongo may have a NTC, but as reported by local media the threat of being waived and claimed by Columbus is quite large in the event he turns into Dany Heatley. I don't see Luongo being unreasonable.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Edmonton needs defense and could use a goalie.

I don't understand the logic behind Gillis willingly taking less from another team to avoid getting a better deal from a team in the West. I don't see how that makes any sense whatsoever. If a team like Chicago makes a fair offer and a team like Toronto doesn't, then I fully expect Luongo to be in Chicago. If no teams make a fair offer then I fully expect Luongo to be in a Canucks uniform whenever hockey starts again. I don't see how any team can claim an advantage in this situation.
This may very well happen like many before. The difference this time is hockey insiders reporting that a deal is done. Vancouver will get a decent return for Luongo from Toronto.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
We save .200 in cap space by moving Grabo for Luongo. Why not just wait 1 season until Lambo, Connoly etc are off the books. We all know you hate Grabo, but your logic is flawed, it's not even borderline insanity, it's just straight up craziness!
That was not the point, the point is you can't add 5.33 and keep 5.5 when you want to upgrade the top 6 later on, what is flawed is you refuse to let go of a ridiculously overrated #2C on this team even when the price for a #1G is practically in your lap.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
This may very well happen like many before. The difference this time is hockey insiders reporting that a deal is done. Vancouver will get a decent return for Luongo from Toronto.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Darren Dreger deny those reports? Dreger is Dave Nonis's cousin so I would consider him to be very hooked up on Leafs issues.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

How did this thread turn into another argument about Grabovski?

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post

This ^
I never to thought that we (you & I) would ever see eye 2 eye on anything, however after reading this and the last couple of posts (on different threads) I would like to ask for what your motto says : TRUCE??
Also, Van fans want to acquire the world for a player that the fanbase was ready to crucify over the last 3 years, and what will they give in return for accepting such an asinine contract? Nothing they say, the fact that Louie is a world class goalie should be enough but we all remember his recent collapse record. Any trade that has a heavy contract involved usually has a "free gift" attached to it.
So when all is said and done your fanbase (Vans) may be crying foul.
To quote Guinevere:
One must not spend too much time staring at the sun

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Why do you think Gillis would take significantly less from the Leafs in order to avoid trading with Edmonton or Chicago? Gillis has gone on record saying that he has no problems dealing with anyone in the league, and is more concerned about acquiring the pieces to build his team as opposed to what other rivals are doing.

Luongo may have a NTC, but as reported by local media the threat of being waived and claimed by Columbus is quite large in the event he turns into Dany Heatley. I don't see Luongo being unreasonable.
Do you honestly think he'd consider that a threat? If you said that to me, I'd say "fine, go ahead", then i'd park myself until the other team moved me. Of all the people in your scenario, Luongo has the least to lose. I'd bet CBJ remembers Carter too.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Darren Dreger deny those reports? Dreger is Dave Nonis's cousin so I would consider him to be very hooked up on Leafs issues.
Don't know if you noticed we are in the middle of a lockout.
Both teams have to deny everything.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote