HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Platapie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
You do realize this is a message board, in which people offer their opinions and discuss various topics right?
Perhaps you should phrase it like an opinion?

e.g: I don't think Burke is willing to trade X and Y for Luongo.

Rather than "We're not interested in Luongo for X and Y"? Subtle, but one makes you sound ridiculous.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:47 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
re: today's hockey central

Doug Maclean suggested that Kadri might be a good trade piece to Vancouver for Lu.

just saying.

maybe:

Bozak
Kadri
2nd

for

Lu

?
Never do what Doug Maclean thinks is a good deal.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
100% keep Kadri ditch the lou idea imo

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Too much for a salary dump. Too much for Lou's ugly, cap circumventing, contract.
Yeah for Grabo the Canucks would have to add.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
100% keep Kadri ditch the lou idea imo
**** Luongo. Move on.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
There's still a lot of uncertainty. I'm speaking in terms of present conditions. All else being equal, as things currently stand, the market does not dictate a top prospect + a 1st.
There are no current conditions there are previous conditions and conditions yet to come.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Perhaps you should phrase it like an opinion?

e.g: I don't think Burke is willing to trade X and Y for Luongo.

Rather than "We're not interested in Luongo for X and Y"? Subtle, but one makes you sound ridiculous.
You do know what an opinion is, right? Me saying "We're not interested in Luongo for X and Y" is an opinion. Everything anyone says on any given topic is an opinion. It's called a dictionary. Pick one up, might enlighten you.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
**** Luongo. Move on.
With Reimer in goal?
Really?

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why do you think Gillis would take significantly less from the Leafs in order to avoid trading with Edmonton or Chicago? Gillis has gone on record saying that he has no problems dealing with anyone in the league, and is more concerned about acquiring the pieces to build his team as opposed to what other rivals are doing.
Who said "significantly less"? If anything the Leafs will be willing to match anything you're offered from Chicago or Edmonton, who by the way haven't been directly connected to Luongo other than through wild speculation. And even if some blogger mentioned it in passing, it definitely has not been to the extent he has been rumoured to the Leafs. You're trying to drum up competition with teams that likely aren't very interested.

You don't trade Luongo to Edmonton/Chicago because a) making your divisional/conference rivals better is never a good idea (and Vancouver is not going to win ANY trade involving Luongo) and b) you do not want, 4/6 times a season, to face a goalie you ran out of town who is determined to prove you wrong.

Dealing Luongo to the Leafs, or the Eastern Conference for that matter, mitigates against any scenarios where he comes back to haunt you with regularity. This isn't rocket science.

You're like a really awful car salesman.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Well it's an overpayment to you since you like this player and are not objectively looking at what a #1G would mean to the franchise.

None of us know what the Nucks want, but it doesn't take a genius to surmise they would like to upgrade their 3rd line when it was evident how they struggled against LA last year in the playoffs. Sami Pahlsson was brought in to be the #3C if I recall correctly.
Cool, we get our goalie, now who plays center for us? Connolly, Lambo and Bozak are all UFA's this year. Before you say we get Getzlaf, what if he doesn't sign with us? Now what?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
With Reimer in goal?
Really?
I'm with you on this one. Luongo may have a terrible contract, but if we get him we're almost guaranteed a playoff spot. Not to mention that he'd be a great mentor to Reimer and would allow management to focus on acquiring a first line center for Kessel and Lupul.

We have a good core with Kessel, Lupul, Grabovski, Kulemin, JvR upfront and Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarsson and Holzer on the point. We have Kadri, Rielly, Finn, Colborne, Ashton, Biggs, Percy, Brown and Granberg who are all up-and-coming young talents, but nobody capable of being a starting goalie in the NHL in the next few years. Adding Luongo in net makes the Leafs a legitimate playoff team that could really scare some teams in the East. Reimer is a good goalie, but he proved last season that he's not ready to be a starter in the NHL. He's a backup that can play ~25 games and not hurt the team one bit. Luongo is a real #1 and one of the best goalies in the league.

Why wouldn't we want him?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Throw in a decent prospect like Finn and I'd do it. But unless Burke already has a deal in place for a No.1 C I don't see it happening.

If anything, the Canucks would be adding to that deal.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:04 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Cool, we get our goalie, now who plays center for us? Connolly, Lambo and Bozak are all UFA's this year. Before you say we get Getzlaf, what if he doesn't sign with us? Now what?
I guess Burke will have to pull off another 'Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner' type of deal and get a guy who's talented but struggled with injury, in a bad situation (not personality issues) or something. Unless he wants to spend a first rounder, that's how we'll have to go about acquiring one.

Burke has turned garbage into productive players over the past couple seasons. We've acquired Phaneuf, Gardiner, Lupul, Grabovski (Fletcher) and Liles for essentially nothing and all of these guys have really helped improve this team and are going to be good pieces going forward. Hopefully he can work his magic and get us someone who can play between Kessel and Lupul.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Agreed 100%.

I was dead set against Luongo.

I say "WAS" because if this new CBA makes the team who offers the contract liable for the cap hit should the player retire, I am starting to change my mind.

Actually just went and looked over Luongos contract. No thanks. I thought it was more front end loaded.

Back to Dead set against Luongo.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:19 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
With Reimer in goal?
Really?
How is Reimer not good enough ?

Old
10-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Build from the net out, Franchise goalie, 2 stud D's and the a #1C Center. This has been a proven formula proven over and over again. Not building by #2C and filling in positions as they may come.

Zajac, Roy, Ribiero and Weiss may be UFA's in 2013, then there's Getzlaf. One can realistically hope Bozak resigns with us, and we can develop players from within. Colborne and Kadri, this should reassure your fears in the meantime.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Bozak, Franson and a high pick....that's my prediction
All that would get u is 10 seconds of Gillis laughing at you before hanging up. Bozak is a garbage player, the only reason he put up 47 points last year (which is pathetic by the way) is because of an elite sniper on his arm. Franson is a RFA after this season, why would Vancouver want that? I mean don't get me wrong he's an intriguing player and all but he needs to be signed to a long term deal BEFORE Van shows any interest.

Its going to cost something like this IMO- Kadri, Komiserak, 1st. They get a potential 2nd line player, a physical defensmen and a 1st round pick which they badly need to draft a top 30 player.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Do you really even have to ask? Yes he played amazing late in 2011/12, he played average at the beginning of last season, and was horrible when he came back from his injury. Riemer does have potential but he is nowhere near being a starting goalie let alone an elite one, sorry but if you belive that then I have some swamp land in Florida for you for $1M.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Your basing the fact that he is good enough off of 37 games he played, not last season, but the season before. Are you actually completely disregarding HALF OF HIS NHL CAREER when you say such a silly thing?

Phaneuffan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:27 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Its going to cost something like this IMO- Kadri, Komiserak, 1st. They get a potential 2nd line player, a physical defensmen and a 1st round pick which they badly need to draft a top 30 player.
For crying out loud, stop. Just stop. People need to realize there is an extremely limited market for Luongo. Even less when you factor in that contract. Add in that goalies typically do not bring in a large return. And Vancouver fans need to stop adding in that 1st round pick. It's not happening. Jesus.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
For crying out loud, stop. Just stop. People need to realize there is an extremely limited market for Luongo. Even less when you factor in that contract. Add in that goalies typically do not bring in a large return. And Vancouver fans need to stop adding in that 1st round pick. It's not happening. Jesus.
1. I'm not a Vancouver fan, I'm a leafs fan
2. I was stating my opinion hence the "IMO" before I made my prediction
3. The leafs are in NO room to try to lower the deal because of how desperately they need a #1, we are the ONLY team to miss the playoffs since 04
4. If you want to believe thats not the price for Luongo then fine but dont sit there and state it as fact as it wont happen.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Kirkpatrick

Now I want the Leafs to get Luongo just to see what the pieces involved are.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:40 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
1. I'm not a Vancouver fan, I'm a leafs fan
Apologies. I was speaking more in general terms but using your comment as a springboard.

Quote:
2. I was stating my opinion hence the "IMO" before I made my prediction
I missed that, so apologies again.

Quote:
3. The leafs are in NO room to try to lower the deal because of how desperately they need a #1, we are the ONLY team to miss the playoffs since 04
I agree and disagree with this statement. I agree that we're the only team to miss the playoffs since the previous lockout since, well, it's a fact. But I disagree that the Leafs are operating from a position of weakness here. They are not. Gillis and the Canucks are. Burke, I'm certain, is perfectly fine with a tandem of Reimer and Scrivens if he has to go that way. He'd be an idiot to include another 1st round pick in a deal, especially since Luongo is currently not the calibre of player that Kessel was and is. Vancouver is the team that's currently spending upwards of $9 million on their goaltenders alone. Gillis' problem, not Burke's. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but I can virutally guarantee that Burke does not include a first round pick in any deal unless the player coming back is Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan.

Quote:
4. If you want to believe thats not the price for Luongo then fine but dont sit there and state it as fact as it wont happen.
I'm stating it as fact because Burke is not stupid. He is not going to send Gillis the Leafs' first round pick for a 33 year old goaltender with a horrendous contract. Gillis needs to unload Luongo and he's going to try and get the best price. But he will not get a 1st round pick from Burke. He's going to get a worse return than what Howson got for Nash. Guaranteed.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:58 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

If GIllis had any intention of trading LUong to Burke why the heck is OUR future #1 Center sitting in BUffalo?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:34 AM
67Cup

Luongo doesn't guarantee a playoff spot any more than he did when he was in Florida, when he was a better goalie, with a less onerous contract, than he is now. Still, he is better than anything the Leafs have now. If the price is right,and if the Leafs would not be stuck with a cap hit into retirement, he might well be worth trading for. But that price has to be right.

PS ask Dave Nonis if Luongo guarantees a playoff spot, even in Vancouver.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote