HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 07:34 AM
kihei

vCash: 2951
I got in a long discussion (if that's what you can call it) on the main board's Luongo thread last night, and the Vancouver guys, many of whom are incredibly thin-skinned and have serious reading comprehension problems, are expecting a King's ransom for Roberto, something on the order of Kulemin, Kadri and a first or more. They think Burke is desperate to make the playoffs and that Luongo automatically guarantees that. So they are like kids waiting for Santa to deliver the goodies. I trust Burke to disappoint them. He'd better anyway.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:46 AM
MorriPage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I got in a long discussion (if that's what you can call it) on the main board's Luongo thread last night, and the Vancouver guys, many of whom are incredibly thin-skinned and have serious reading comprehension problems, are expecting a King's ransom for Roberto, something on the order of Kulemin, Kadri and a first or more. They think Burke is desperate to make the playoffs and that Luongo automatically guarantees that. So they are like kids waiting for Santa to deliver the goodies. I trust Burke to disappoint them. He'd better anyway.
And I thought Philly fans were annoying back when I was visiting the Flyers forum during the infamous offer sheet to Shea Weber. These Vancouver clowns are even worse. I swear to God, Luongo can't get traded somewhere other than Toronto fast enough. Only then will all the trolling Canucks fans slink back to their own board.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Fogelhund

Vancouver is a NOW team, while a first round pick is attractive, it does not address their immediate needs. This deal is more about getting rid of the cap hit of Luongo, and getting the best they can get back in a deal, from a limited market. They want players who can play now. MacArthur, Kulemin, Lupul, Frattin are probably all people Vancouver might ask for. People who can fit in their #2/3 lines, provide some secondary scoring, at decent cap hits... Franson too might be a target.

One of the challenges here, is determining exactly what Vancouver wants, or needs. Had the season started, you could argue that they would have wanted a 2/3 Center, to replace Kesler while he mended... Depending on the length of the lockout, he could very well be 100% healthy, and the need might change. Let us suppose this lockout goes until sometime next summer... look at their UFA's...what are the needs then? What would we have left to trade that also isn't UFA?

Kadri, MacA/Franson, 2013 2nd round pick.

Last edited by Fogelhund: 10-23-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:20 PM
kihei

vCash: 2951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Kadri, MacA/Franson, 2013 2nd round pick.
And if Kadri is a third as successful as Cherry thinks he will be, even if Luongo ekes the Leafs into bottom-rung playoff spot, the trade will blow up in Burke's face. After all the time they have invested in bringing Kadri along, I can't see the Leafs trading him until the team sees the kind of contribution he could make. I just don't think a team trades its only elite forward prospect for a goalie whose best days are almost certainly behind him.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
And if Kadri is a third as successful as Cherry thinks he will be, even if Luongo ekes the Leafs into bottom-rung playoff spot, the trade will blow up in Burke's face. After all the time they have invested in bringing Kadri along, I can't see the Leafs trading him until the team sees the kind of contribution he could make. I just don't think a team trades its only elite forward prospect for a goalie whose best days are almost certainly behind him.
I agree. We spent three years developing Kadri. It would be dumb to trade him now. He needs one full season in the NHL to get his feet wet. Then the following season I can see him breaking out.

Yo-yoing him back and forth won't help. He needs time to develop chemistry.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
We aren't going to get Luongo for free.. Kadri is a prospect at this point... nothing more, maybe he'll be really good, or not. Sometimes you have to take risks. I'm not sure how we would conclude that Luongo's best days are "certainly" behind him...we've seen many goalies play very well into their late 30's.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
We aren't going to get Luongo for free.. Kadri is a prospect at this point... nothing more, maybe he'll be really good, or not. Sometimes you have to take risks. I'm not sure how we would conclude that Luongo's best days are "certainly" behind him...we've seen many goalies play very well into their late 30's.
I'd rather put in Ashton than Kadri. But I'd still prefer not to trade for Luongo in general.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Ashton + D'Amigo + 2nd rounder (2013) for Luongo.

Kadri stays.

King William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Pierre on the radio said this morning that the Leafs should really think of Gardiner for Luongo.

He stressed "I didn't say do it" but he did say they should really think about it.

Vancouver would be so lucky.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Pierre on the radio said this morning that the Leafs should really think of Gardiner for Luongo.

He stressed "I didn't say do it" but he did say they should really think about it.

Just no. Gardiner is has soooooooooo much upside.

Komisarek+Connolly+Lombardi+Deschamp for Luongo take it or leave it.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Jerkini

Quote:

That's funny. He would no doubt get on the radio the next day and **** all over the team for making a trade like that.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
And as much as Canuck fans would have you think, Burke isn't going to give up a king's ransom. The proposals from Leaf fans seem much more realistic then what Vancouver fans are thinking.

Hanta Yo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:

Critical thinking isn't required to say no to such an awful deal.

Hanta Yo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:

Pierre... McGuire, right?

Because that doesn't sound like something a credible 'Pierre' would say.

IE., Pierre LeBrun.

King William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Sam Slick*

I was on the Van boards until about 3 am chatting with a couple people. Well, they were tolerable. hehe

They want Finn, Bozak, Frattin and our first. That seems to be the consensus if Gardiner is off the table.

Many were happy with that, but most weren't. They seem to think MG has Burke bent over a barrel.

I am having a change of heart. I like bozie and Frattin. This Finn kid is starting to look like a draft steal of big proportions. And who knows where our first will end up being. Lou is a great goalie, but he is also 33. He has a habit of crapping the bed about every 8 games or so.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Pierre... McGuire, right?

Because that doesn't sound like something a credible 'Pierre' would say.

IE., Pierre LeBrun.
Had to be Lebrun, Macquire is irritating, but not stupid.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

Pfft lol

Trade a defensemen we could have for the next 10-15 years to get a goalie we'll for 3 to 5 tops.

Ok Pierre.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:54 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:

Some of them are hilarious.
When I would agree with something they would say, they would attack me over it. So they would start to argue against the point they were trying to make 2 minutes earlier. I got a solid hour of lols doing this.

Pretty sure some of them are just really young or something.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I was on the Van boards until about 3 am chatting with a couple people. Well, they were tolerable. hehe

They want Finn, Bozak, Frattin and our first. That seems to be the consensus if Gardiner is off the table.

Many were happy with that, but most weren't. They seem to think MG has Burke bent over a barrel.

I am having a change of heart. I like bozie and Frattin. This Finn kid is starting to look like a draft steal of big proportions. And who knows where our first will end up being. Lou is a great goalie, but he is also 33. He has a habit of crapping the bed about every 8 games or so.
Still way too much.

What Vancover fans don't realize is we don't need Luongo especially with that contract. We're doing them a favor, So they don't have a media circus around the starting goaltender that deraills their whole season, Like they seemed to do for the past few seasons. Also let's not forget, Vingnault pulled Luongo in the first round elimination games against L.A, So it's crystal clear on who he has more confidence in.

So for them to be demanding an king's Ransom is ludacris. There's more than likely other goalies who could be had a much more reduced prices than the one Van fans are asking for Luongo, And won't have huge circumventing deals which with certain CBA tweaks teams may get stuck with the full cap hit of the contracts even after the player has retired.

The main reason some of them are being so unreasonable is cause we're Toronto. So if they want to send him some where else cause they seem to have teams lined up out the door for him(Or so I hear) Then I hope Mike Gillis doesn't waste anytime and moves him so we can be done with this.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 748
“I’m trying to build a championship team here,” -Burke

Gardiner is more important to us if we want to win a championship than Luongo. Yes Luongo increases our chances of making the playoffs more than Gards does at this point, but even with him we won't be a contender. We are a few years away from being a contender and I'm not sure how good Lu will be by then. Gardiner is a piece you give up if you're getting back a piece that puts you over the top. There will be other opportunities to pick up a good goaltender, perhaps next summer if Backstrom becomes a free agent. If Lu comes for a very reasonable price then you'd be stupid to not consider the deal, but there is no rule saying he will be the only goalie available ever again and we must trade for him.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:37 PM
galiano

This is a really interesting thread from both perspectives. I wonder this - if Burke does not trade for Luongo and the Leafs don't make the playoffs largely because of weak goaltending, does he get fired ?

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
This is a really interesting thread from both perspectives. I wonder this - if Burke does not trade for Luongo and the Leafs don't make the playoffs largely because of weak goaltending, does he get fired ?
If the Leafs don't make the playoffs for any reason he should be fired.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
I would hope so, but not likely. He would only have one year left on his contract as GM and President. It would cost MLSE more money to find a temporary guy short term but more in the long run to fill to jobs....unless they could find a guy that could do both. But that is not likely.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
Only one guy really rustles my jimmies.,.
The Gards, 1st, kadri/ashton/biggs/finn guy. (ya'all know who i mean)

I went most of last season without an avatar, was worth it.
Holy **** same feelings here. Can't stand that guy. Honestly, all of them at this point are acting really arrogant right now. In no universe does Luongo return a first or a top prospect, let alone both and/or more.

Tommy Torini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I rather trade with the Wild for Nicklas.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote