HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 04:20 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Lu has some solid years left.

Leaf fans cant wait for CHI/LA/PITT/EDM type rebuild

Leafs will be ready for a push in 2 - 3 years

I wouldn't object, if it didnt uproot the future.(by taking our youth or handcuffing us financially)
Luongo is 32, so if we're looking at 2-3 years down the road he's the wrong guy to target. Should stay with the current Leafs' goalies and hope when they are 26-28 they are ready. Reimer's 24, Owuya is 23, so if there is nothing to be concerned about in the next couple years then just let the team develop.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I thought about Schroeder, but he's a smurf.

Canucks have enough NHL defenders for their current NHL team, they don't need Gunnarsson.
Yeah, we have one too many Smurfs and Americans, take your pick on the team already. Just kidding....Though we would be giving up one, so it is a saw off. Disagree about the Nucks not needing D depth, their d is not deep enough after Edler, not crazy about Ballard either, Gunnar would be an upgrade at 5 on that D. He's a Swede too, the Nucks love their Swedes and or euros. Loss of Salo and or Ehrhoff depleted depth.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:22 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
That was the same logic some applied to the Toskala transaction in believing his SJ numbers were transferable at par to the Leafs team thereby believing the goaltending was about to be improved.

Applying the stats from a President's trophy team to a bottom 5 team and expecting the results to be similar for the player under two vastly different scenarios might open you up for disappointment if you believe they're transferable at par.

Vancouver is trading Luongo because they believe he is not the answer to winning the Stanley Cup for them, but in turn Leafs should believe he is the answer for them?
I agree with the first two parts of your post. When it comes to the bolded section, if you have to goalies who you believe are of equal talent, you keep the younger cheaper goalie. Correct?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I agree with the first two parts of your post. When it comes to the bolded section, if you have to goalies who you believe are of equal talent, you keep the younger cheaper goalie. Correct?
Considering where the Leafs are in their rebuild, maybe they should be targetting Lack.

Yes, from the Canucks perspective Luongo is redundant.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Considering where the Leafs are in their rebuild, maybe they should be targetting Lack.

Yes, from the Canucks perspective Luongo is redundant.
He does dance you know.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:31 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The Canucks have much less leverage than Gillis has hypnotized the fans into.
I have said the exact same thing and I think Gillis is doing the exact same thing Scott Howson did. He said multiple times he wanted an A+ paclage of players and prospects for Rick Nash, along with saying he won't trade him until he gets that type of deal. Just like Gillis has said about Luongo. Plus Howson didn't care if Nash started training camp with the Blue Jackets. Even though Luongo said he would report to training camp and Gillis doesn't mind, I don't think he really wants to. I see it as saying the right things to the media. However in the end we know that never happened with the type of players and prospects Howson got and I can see the same thing happening to Mike Gillis.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
hockeywiz542

Damien Cox: Lockout Doesn't End Luongo Speculation

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...eculation.html

Quote:
Yes, the Leafs remain very much interested in securing the services of Luongo, and the talks are very much alive. It's believed Leaf GM Brian Burke and his Vancouver counterpart Mike Gillis spoke as recently as two weeks ago, at which time the Canucks demands were reduced from the bounty they requested at the draft, but not enough for the Leafs to agree to anything.

At the draft, reports indicated Vancouver asked for centre Tyler Bozak, defenceman Jake Gardiner, a first round pick and winger Matt Frattin in exchange for the 33-year-old Luongo. The Leafs had no interest in paying that kind of price, largely because there is no significant market for the services of the veteran goaltender.

The Leafs, however, have only James Reimer on their NHL roster, and he's a goalie in search of bounce-back season himself. So they have a definite need for quality veteran goaltending and the Canucks need to get Luongo out-of-town.

So talks have continued on and off, with Bozak as the centre-piece. Vancouver believes Bozak would be a good fit as their No. 3 centre behind Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler. The Leafs might be willing to pay more than Bozak, but how much more is unclear.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
I would happily give Bozak+franson+2nd for Luongo.

The issue has always been how much we would pay for him, not so much the contract and the length. Contracts can be dealt with, im not giving gardiner for luongo.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:56 PM
zeke
#freewilly

33 year old goalie with good numbers but a questionable reputation, owed over $53m dollars.....and without many suitors.

The canucks will not get anywhere near the value gillis initially asked for or canuck fans currently suggest.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:57 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
I would happily give Bozak+franson+2nd for Luongo.

The issue has always been how much we would pay for him, not so much the contract and the length. Contracts can be dealt with, im not giving gardiner for luongo.
this kind of package makes sense.

3 quality but secondary young parts or something like it.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:57 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Sportsnet John Shannon: Luongo will be traded to Leafs

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...o_maple_leafs/

Quote:
However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.

I do not know who or what he will be traded for, and believe it or not, I don’t think general managers Mike Gillis and Brian Burke know either. The rules of any new collective bargaining agreement will dictate the actual transaction.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Even Florida fans, who are in a much better goaltending position than TO, were willing to do a deal like Petrovic(top defensive prospect), Matthias(3rd line C), and a 1st round pick.

Oilers fans were willing to do something around Hemsky(top-6 winger, slightly injury prone) and either a 1st or MPS.

I don't see how Burke thinks he's able to get a chance at Luongo if he only offers Franson + Steckel + Komisarek, or such nonsense.

Is any one else seeing this ? ahaha

First off, unless you're gillis in disguise and somehow know what every team has offered vancouver ( it doesn't matter what the fans offer) , then i don't see how you come up with all this .. But if the Florida offered such a great offer, why haven't you guys taken it ?

I never said Franson speckle and komiserek.. i said MacA +2nd plus choice between bozak and franson..

what you say though is two of the following is what you want.. 1st, Kulemin, JVR.. that right there is nonsense.

Last edited by Donato: 10-20-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:09 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Even Florida fans, who are in a much better goaltending position than TO, were willing to do a deal like Petrovic(top defensive prospect), Matthias(3rd line C), and a 1st round pick.

Oilers fans were willing to do something around Hemsky(top-6 winger, slightly injury prone) and either a 1st or MPS.
No they are not. I have shown you before, but Oiler fans are much harsher in their stand/viewpoint towards Luongo than Leaf fans. Majority of Oiler fans are offering less, and I bet it's the same case with Panther fans.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:12 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
LOOOOL at gillis wanting jake, tyler, 1st and matt... What a joke

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:17 PM
DaveT83*

This whole thread is a joke.

Lou is a joke.

His contract is a joke.

Leaf Fans wanting to mortgage the future AGAIN is a joke.

Believing that Lou is going to take this team from the basement to promised land is a joke. In his prime he couldnt' do it with a similar lottery roster in Florida - why on earth anyone thinks he can do it now is simply lunacy.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
This whole thread is a joke.

Lou is a joke.

His contract is a joke.

Leaf Fans wanting to mortgage the future AGAIN is a joke.

Believing that Lou is going to take this team from the basement to promised land is a joke. In his prime he couldnt' do it with a similar lottery roster in Florida - why on earth anyone thinks he can do it now is simply lunacy.
I know man, it makes me sick the guys who are willing to waste all this time we have spend on Kadri for basically a rental goalie.

We haven't even given kadri a legitimate shot at what he was projected to be... if we were going to trade him.. the time was 2 years ago.. not now after we wasted all this time developing him.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:24 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

looks like we will finally get real goalie.
he will be good for at least the next 7 years
Stanley cup type of goalie

Attachment 59261

Last edited by cup67: 02-09-2013 at 11:34 PM.
cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Why wouldn't Florida want Luongo? He takes them closer to the cap floor, and we pay part of his salary. I'd rather Luongo go to Florida for free than to Toronto for Franson's rights and Komisarek, etc.

That said, there are other teams interested, and if Burke's offers are similar to the one's here, I don't see him getting Luongo.
Because they have the world's best goalie porospect. They don't need Luongo.

And Luongo makes more cash than cap hit. Not good for a team in the red,.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post
Is any one else seeing this ? ahaha

First off, unless you're gillis in disguise and somehow know what every team has offered vancouver ( it doesn't matter what the fans offer) , then i don't see how you come up with all this .. But if the Florida offered such a great offer, why haven't you guys taken it ?

I never said Franson speckle and komiserek.. i said MacA +2nd plus choice between bozak and franson..

what you say though is two of the following is what you want.. 1st, Kulemin, JVR.. that right there is nonsense.
Kadri, not JVR.
And Franson and a 2nd are quite frankly useless to us. Bozak may have some use, but is not by himslef enough. Macarthur would join the ranks of Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, etc as a 2-3 line tweener.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
No they are not. I have shown you before, but Oiler fans are much harsher in their stand/viewpoint towards Luongo than Leaf fans. Majority of Oiler fans are offering less, and I bet it's the same case with Panther fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I hate this whole "we aren't going to compete for another 3 years" mentality a lot of Oiler fans seem to have. We have been saying that as a fanbase since we drafted Hall.

At some point we have to make moves to make our roster better now. Luongo would be a very nice fit in Edmonton. Provided that we can move Dubnyk in a seperate deal, I would make a serious offer for him.

Tambo would be smart to offer up one of MPS/Gagner/Hemsky as a starting point and building a package around that depending on which player Vancouver prefers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I for one see Lu as a really good goalie. I would def do Gagner and MPS only if we could find a 2 line center for another team/another trade or Hallsy can play center (unlikely) Our center depth would be brutal.

Maybe a 3 way trade to get a 2 line center
Yeah.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

I don't want Luongo. If Reimer/Scrivens **** the bed, we get a top draft pick. Isn't that the point of everyone here wanting to tank?

The Leafs aren't in a position to add Luongo. He'll only make the draft pick worse. And they'll won't be a cup contender with him.

Canuck fans think we desperately need Luongo because Reimer and Scrivens are crap. Isn't that what I hear "Tanking" is all about? I'm confused by this double-standard.

Remember, Luongo put up terrific numbers in Florida and never took them to the playoffs once.

I believe with better goaltending the Leafs can compete no doubt, but Luongo's contract will haunt us down the road.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Because they have the world's best goalie porospect. They don't need Luongo.

And Luongo makes more cash than cap hit. Not good for a team in the red,.
The new CBA allows teams to pay part of the salary of traded players. So that's good news for Florida. And so what if they have the world's best goalie prospect? They jump-start their competitiveness, then relegate Luongo to backup whenever they want. As a cap floor team, Luongo at a slashed salary is great for them.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:40 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The new CBA allows teams to pay part of the salary of traded players. So that's good news for Florida. And so what if they have the world's best goalie prospect? They jump-start their competitiveness, then relegate Luongo to backup whenever they want. As a cap floor team, Luongo at a slashed salary is great for them.
What? It hasn't been signed yet. Talk about wishful thinking.

How do you know that will be part of the new CBA?

Old
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
LOOOOL at gillis wanting jake, tyler, 1st and matt... What a joke
Any GM to read that would have to laugh in his face, I dont see how you could contain it.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
What? It hasn't been signed yet. Talk about wishful thinking.

How do you know that will be part of the new CBA?

Fine. Although for the entire offseason people were saying Luongo's cap hit would count against the team he's traded to even after he retires, so his value is super low. Now that we finally make progress, and in the proposed CBA the only thing that changes Luongo's value is positive, it doesn't mean anything anymore.