HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Bertuzzi: "I see us losing a year"

Old
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

vCash: 500
Bertuzzi: "I see us losing a year"

Quote:
According to the Detroit Free Press, Bertuzzi was attending a players-run practice on Monday when he stated he was "not very optimistic," that a deal could be reached and that "I see us losing a year."
Source: TSN

Bert actually sounded pretty sensible in the article. I'm glad he acknowledged just how disgusted the fans are with this whole thing.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:48 AM
FabricDetails

At first I thought the title of this thread said, "I see us having a losing year." Yeesh.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Harnessed in Slums

All I'll say on the topic is if you are a hockey fan you should want the players to win this time around. Why? Because if they do the NHL owners will be much less likely to go the lockout route for a fourth straight time after the CBA expires and as a result we probably will not lose a third season. Fehr destroyed the baseball owners in 1994-95 and they have not had any problems with lockouts or missed seasons for close to 20 years. Baseball fans get to watch baseball without any Gary Bettman-like histrionics. People who illogically support the owners cry about baseball missing one World Series and playoffs. Well guess what? We've lost one playoff, one Stanley Cup, one Winter Classic and are about to lose a second playoff and Stanley Cup.

Supporting the owners just means we'll go through all of this yet another time once the new CBA - whenever that is agreed upon - expires.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
All I'll say on the topic is if you are a hockey fan you should want the players to win this time around. Why? Because if they do the NHL owners will be much less likely to go the lockout route for a fourth straight time after the CBA expires and as a result we probably will not lose a third season. Fehr destroyed the baseball owners in 1994-95 and they have not had any problems with lockouts or missed seasons for close to 20 years. Baseball fans get to watch baseball without any Gary Bettman-like histrionics. People who illogically support the owners cry about baseball missing one World Series and playoffs. Well guess what? We've lost one playoff, one Stanley Cup, one Winter Classic and are about to lose a second playoff and Stanley Cup.

Supporting the owners just means we'll go through all of this yet another time once the new CBA - whenever that is agreed upon - expires.
Not just lose...but lose big.

There is nothing about the owners proposal that changes the economics of the league that could prevent us from being here 5-6 years from now with the same scenario.

There are very few NHL businesses losing gobs of cash that don't deserve to be losing gobs of cash.

Either they're poorly run (Cbus, Islanders), they're intentionally spending more than they should (SJ), or they were put someone they never should have been (Glendale)

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
ricky0034

Quote:

if the players won the league would probably be in such poor shape by the time the CBA expires that the owners would be forced to have a lockout regardless

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Bench
Realgud!

I'm going to agree with Bert on this one.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
doublejack

Quote:

I support neither. At this point I would like nothing more than to see the NHL collapse or disappear into irrelevancy, and a new league to emerge with a different set of owners.

I know that's not what I'll get, but it is truly what I want. I ceased caring about the NHL or the CBA this time around. I'm not supporting either side.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I miss hockey.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
I miss hockey.
What is this hockey you're talking about?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Goalie guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I support neither. At this point I would like nothing more than to see the NHL collapse or disappear into irrelevancy, and a new league to emerge with a different set of owners.

I know that's not what I'll get, but it is truly what I want. I ceased caring about the NHL or the CBA this time around. I'm not supporting either side.
I agree completely with you on this .

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:53 PM
TatarTangle

I talked to him before training camp was slated to start up, he comes into my work quite a bit, and even then he said things weren't looking good and there's little hope. Which is why I have not tried to read into much of anything.

Sergei Samsonov comes in as well and I tried to get his take but couldn't get anything out of him.

Could care less at this point, I went to the Michigan vs Michigan State hockey game at Yost a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Going to get to Grand Rapids for dollar beer and hot dogs, maybe a Whalers game. Still plenty of hockey to be watched if you want to go bad enough.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
I talked to him before training camp was slated to start up, he comes into my work quite a bit, and even then he said things weren't looking good and there's little hope. Which is why I have not tried to read into much of anything.

Sergei Samsonov comes in as well and I tried to get his take but couldn't get anything out of him.

Could care less at this point, I went to the Michigan vs Michigan State hockey game at Yost a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Going to get to Grand Rapids for dollar beer and hot dogs, maybe a Whalers game. Still plenty of hockey to be watched if you want to go bad enough.
Good point, if you want to watch hockey you most certainly can.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote