HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nathan MacKinnon vs Connor McDavid

View Poll Results: higher ceiling thus far
MacKinnon 99 25.92%
McDavid 283 74.08%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-20-2012, 06:49 AM
amnesiac
Space Oddity

vCash: 500
Nathan MacKinnon vs Connor McDavid

yes its early.... but I just wonder for those whove been watching both closely, who looks to have the higher ceiling?

amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:49 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

McDavid's better at the same age.

I'll go with McDavid for the potential, but MacKinnon's a safer bet.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Huffman

The younger prospect - the better prospect

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Actually, they are to completely different players. One is a dangler and a finesse player and the other is a go to the net guy with explosiveness.

MacKinnon is the most talked prospect since Tavares. All he has done is proving that he's a special player. McDavid is still young but what he is doing right now in the OHL as a 15 yo is amazing.

I'll always go with Nate. IMO, the best prospect since Crosby.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Jp20

McDavid

Jp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:12 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Its McDavid quite easily, if you watched yesterdays game you know why. Also big name scouts are labelling him as a superstar NHL player.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Nullus Reverentia

MacKinnon is you're "average " first overall pick, McDavid is your potential generational talent. It'll be ten years since Crosby was drafted and McDavid will be up there with Tavares/Crosby then hype wise.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:04 AM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Its McDavid quite easily, if you watched yesterdays game you know why. Also big name scouts are labelling him as a superstar NHL player.
This, When i was watching the game yesterday i couldn't believe he was only 15, he was the best player on the ice in my opinion. He came close to scoring twice as well as quite a few nice setups that came close.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Crosby.

Seriously. McDavid. Lets just hope he stays hungry and doesn't get complacent.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:08 AM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Well Nate is real good. The best Q prospect (not saying that much I suppose) since Sid. But he will likely top out as a top 10 NHL player. Who knows, could prove me wrong (Look at Giroux). From all I've heard about McDavid, he could be the next Sid. Both have high potential but one has been labeled the next "generational superstar".

But who knows, alot can change in a couple of years as both are very young

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:46 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
MacKinnon is you're "average " first overall pick, McDavid is your potential generational talent. It'll be ten years since Crosby was drafted and McDavid will be up there with Tavares/Crosby then hype wise.
I'd say MacKinnon is more than just an average first overall pick. He's hyped more than anyone post Crosby save for Tavares (and maybe Kane and Stamkos).

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I'd take McDavid. Better than MacKinnon at the same age and I think he will be the undisputed top pick in his year whereas MacKinnon has not been number one in all the rankings I've seen.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Was Stamkos hyped that much? I seem to recall people just treating him like an "average" first overall. The whole "seen Stamkos" phrase was there but I didn't think there was as much talk compared to alot of first overalls.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:09 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
I'd take McDavid. Better than MacKinnon at the same age and I think he will be the undisputed top pick in his year whereas MacKinnon has not been number one in all the rankings I've seen.
Who is? Jones? I haven't paid alot of attention to lists yet (I typically due early in the new calender year) but Barkov is probably there with Nate as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see Barkov and Drouin better long term than Nate from everything I've heard/seen.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Was Stamkos hyped that much? I seem to recall people just treating him like an "average" first overall. The whole "seen Stamkos" phrase was there but I didn't think there was as much talk compared to alot of first overalls.
I think MacKinnon will be hyped like Lecavalier was. Maybe the hype will be above average for a first overall but as we have seen with Lecavalier, lots of hype does not always mean the player will actually live up to the hype.

Quote:
Who is? Jones? I haven't paid alot of attention to lists yet (I typically due early in the new calender year) but Barkov is probably there with Nate as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see Barkov and Drouin better long term than Nate from everything I've heard/seen.
I have seen Jones ranked higher on a couple lists.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
ESH

Woah. I wasn't expecting it to be this much in McDavid's favour.

I guess I'm the minority in picking MacKinnon here.

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I don't remember an all out hype of Stamkos before his draft year. I think the hype machine only gets revved up well in advance for what the media deems exceptional status or there is some kind of hook i.e. Mackinnon and Crosby from the same hometown. Mackinnon is no doubt worthy of being a number 1 potential pick... but if his hometown was Fort McMurray... would be get the same hype? Interesting..not sure what the answer would be...

Ekblad doesn't get the hype, he has exceptional status...but plays a less sexy position. We'll see next year if he gets the hype... Jones seems to be getting more hype than Ekblad.... and I think Ekblad is a better player...but of course I have a Canadian bias.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Actually, they are to completely different players. One is a dangler and a finesse player and the other is a go to the net guy with explosiveness.

MacKinnon is the most talked prospect since Tavares. All he has done is proving that he's a special player. McDavid is still young but what he is doing right now in the OHL as a 15 yo is amazing.

I'll always go with Nate. IMO, the best prospect since Crosby.
From the little I've seen of McDavid in the OHL, I don't know that I agree with that statement. I don't know that he's quite as explosive in terms of his acceleration as Nate, but he's close, and like MacKinnon he can really make plays at top speed. McDavid also seems to have a solid build and great strength on his skates for a 15 year old, definitely has some "crash and bang" to his game (neither MacKinnon nor McDavid are power forwards or big time hitters, but both use their body a lot to protect the puck and separate opponents from the puck, think Crosby or Parise type physicality).

I actually think the two are decently similar players in general. If I had to point out some differences between current McDavid and MacKinnon when he was first entering the Q, I'd say McDavid has smoother hands and a higher hockey IQ, while MacKinnon is a bit more explosive. I think they're on similar levels, but if I really had to pick one for the future, I'd go with McDavid. I think both will be 1st overall picks and allstar #1 centres in the NHL.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
HabLover

Quote:
On pace for 70+ goals, yeah just your average 1st overall pick,

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
On pace for 70+ goals, yeah just your average 1st overall pick,
Pace doesn't matter 12 games in. Plus chl scoring always tightens up second half of the season.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:06 PM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Quote:
He was not, IIRC.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:09 PM
RJQuack

Pfff, McDavid's just the shiny new toy

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
I'd say MacKinnon is more than just an average first overall pick. He's hyped more than anyone post Crosby save for Tavares (and maybe Kane and Stamkos).
Stamkos wasn't hyped tons during his draft year. A lot of people had already turned to Tavares as the next big thing. Yes, Stamkos was the center of attention for that draft year, but he wasn't considered to be as good as people perceive him now. Not sure why that was as he was clearly a dominant player.

Kane was also not hyped a ton because he shared the spotlight with Kyle Turris and James van Riemsdyk.

Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:27 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Your*

And I don't think MacKinnon would fit the "average" first pick guy. That woudl be someone like Hall, or RNH. And that's not saying those are average players lol

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:59 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

McDaxid will be better than MacKinnon. Just like how Tavares was supposed to be better than Stamkos, Larrson was going to better than Hall/Seguin, Yakupov better than RNH, Mackinnon better than Yakupov, etc.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote