HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nathan MacKinnon vs Connor McDavid

View Poll Results: higher ceiling thus far
MacKinnon 99 25.92%
McDavid 283 74.08%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
McDaxid will be better than MacKinnon. Just like how Tavares was supposed to be better than Stamkos, Larrson was going to better than Hall/Seguin, Yakupov better than RNH, Mackinnon better than Yakupov, etc.
lol wut?

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:12 PM
nitz

Neither of these players have even been drafted. I can't believe the mods even let threads like these to exist. It's a bunch of armchair GMs jerking each other off while not really knowing anything at all.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:12 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
McDaxid will be better than MacKinnon. Just like how Tavares was supposed to be better than Stamkos, Larrson was going to better than Hall/Seguin, Yakupov better than RNH, Mackinnon better than Yakupov, etc.
People always bring up "shiny new toy," but it's just not the case:
- At the 2012 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that Yakupov > RNH? No
- At the 2011 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that RNH > Hall? No
- At the 2010 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that Hall > Tavares? No
- At the 2009 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that Tavares > Stamkos? Yes
- At the 2008 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that Stamkos > Kane? No
- At the 2007 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that Kane > EJ? Yes
- At the 2006 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that EJ > Crosby? No
- At the 2005 draft, was the majority opinion on hfboards that Crosby > Ovy? Yes

It's simply not true that people always think the new top prospect will be better than the old top prospect. Many people are capable of looking at the new prospect, comparing him to the old prospect, and giving their opinion without simply being swayed by the "shiny new toy" just because he's new. It doesn't mean the opinions are right, even pro scouts are wrong about prospects very regularly, and casual fans are wrong INCREDIBLY often, but I think it's ludicrous to say that people prefer the new prospect just because they're new. In general, if you compare the current 1st overall pick to the next 1st overall pick, there's roughly a 50% chance that the "next" pick will be better.

Now, I know I was comparing guys with just one draft year difference, compared to two years between McDavid and MacKinnon, but my general point was that CHL fans aren't automatically more hyped on the younger prospects.

Last edited by ponder: 10-20-2012 at 02:47 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Neither of these players have even been drafted. I can't believe the mods even let threads like these to exist. It's a bunch of armchair GMs jerking each other off while not really knowing anything at all.
Oh thats a valid point. Okay everybody, lets not talk about undrafted players anymore, that cool?

Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Oh thats a valid point. Okay everybody, lets not talk about undrafted players anymore, that cool?
ughhh... fine.

I think Big Mac is gonna be one of the best 1st overalls in the last 10years... He is no "average" first overall... So explosive/intelligent.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:43 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
MacKinnon is you're "average " first overall pick, McDavid is your potential generational talent. It'll be ten years since Crosby was drafted and McDavid will be up there with Tavares/Crosby then hype wise.
Average looool. You my friend need a bunch of live viewings of MacKinnon before you label him as "average". He's far from it. I've seen both players live, both are fantastic players. In terms of future reference, I'll reserve my judgement until McDavid is in his draft year.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
This describes every hfboards thread ever

Last edited by JetsHomer: 10-20-2012 at 02:53 PM.
JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Average looool. You my friend need a bunch of live viewings of MacKinnon before you label him as "average". He's far from it. I've seen both players live, both are fantastic players. In terms of future reference, I'll reserve my judgement until McDavid is in his draft year.
I really hoped I didn't have to explain what I meant by average but apparently I should have.

In no way did I say he's an average player, I said he's an average 1st overall pick, he's not head and shoulders better than any 1st overall pick in the last ten years (2003-2013) except Fleruy and Johnson, but he's probably below the "big" first overall picks in Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares. McDavid belongs in that group. I don't see much seperation between MacKinnon (He might be the best of this group) and Kane, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and if he was from Sydney, Gaspe, or Fredrickton I don't think many peoole would either.

Nullus Reverentia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Well said. It's silly to talk about players that haven't been drafted. Especially on a prospect board of all places!

Dripping with sarcasm...

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:10 PM
tony d
Giant Doctor

Mcdavid

10-20-2012, 04:12 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post

you my friend need to take a second to comprehend what you are reading...

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
I really hoped I didn't have to explain what I meant by average but apparently I should have.

In no way did I say he's an average player, I said he's an average 1st overall pick, he's not head and shoulders better than any 1st overall pick in the last ten years (2003-2013) except Fleruy and Johnson, but he's probably below the "big" first overall picks in Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares. McDavid belongs in that group. I don't see much seperation between MacKinnon (He might be the best of this group) and Kane, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and if he was from Sydney, Gaspe, or Fredrickton I don't think many peoole would either.
Wat.

Tavares is not on the level of Crosby, Ovechkin, and Stamkos. Everyone here is talking out their rears. Shiny new toy syndrome in full effect.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Wat.

Tavares is not on the level of Crosby, Ovechkin, and Stamkos. Everyone here is talking out their rears. Shiny new toy syndrome in full effect.
I think he was talking in terms of hype/potential. Just the way I read it, though

WonderTwinsUnite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:26 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Wat.

Yes Tavares was at the draft, probably above Stamkos.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

McDavid.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:30 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Wat.

Though I'm sure Tavares is going to break out and break PPG quite handily, right now he belongs at the top of the Hall/RNH tier

Crosby
Ovechkin
Stamkos

Tavares
RNH
Hall
Kane

Johnson

Imo

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Wat.

Hype level he's number two on that list, and talent wise he's absolutely up there. Not performing at the level yet but doesn't mean he won't get up there. Let's not look too far in stats.

And you're absolutely wrong about about this "shiny new toy syndrome". McDavid is better.

Nullus Reverentia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:13 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Hype level he's number two on that list, and talent wise he's absolutely up there. Not performing at the level yet but doesn't mean he won't get up there. Let's not look too far in stats.

And you're absolutely wrong about about this "shiny new toy syndrome". McDavid is better.
Especially when you consider what team he plays on. Tavares has tons of talent but he's on probably the worst or near the worst ran franchise.

Ya look up McDavids points... at age 15! Nothing to do with "shiny new toy". He is putting up above PPG numbers right now and is the youngest in the league. How often do we hear this hype 3 years before they get drafted? If anything, Nate would be the shiny new toy since his draft is next June.

King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:14 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
You realize you are on the prospects board right? You know, where 95% of the threads are on undrafted players.. it's what is discussed on a prospects board.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
You realize you are on the prospects board right? You know, where 95% of the threads are on undrafted players.. it's what is discussed on a prospects board.
That's not true -- at all. There is a lot of discussion about players who have yet to make the NHL but are already property of NHL teams.

I went with MacKinnon.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:26 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
That's not true -- at all. There is a lot of discussion about players who have yet to make the NHL but are already property of NHL teams.

I went with MacKinnon.
I exagerated obviously but there is plenty of threads on undrafted players. Just skimming the first page there is Drouin, Nate, this thread, Barkov, Virtanen, Lazar, Buttons 2013 list.... I mean that is quite a few on the first page might be a couple more.

But even watching drafted players who have yet to play in the NHL you could use the same "armchair GM's" arguement since alot go back to the CHL, where these guys are.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Mackinnon is a great prospect to be sure. He reminds me of a more athletic Eberle with a better shot. Both guys are quick, elusive, and can finish. Eberle was showing a bit more creativity with the puck but Mackinnon is just a lot stronger and more athletic - he's got 40G 90P potential at the NHL for sure.

That said, McDavid has the potential to be a top 3 offensive player in the world in his prime, maybe even # 1 if he can bulk up. He is hands down the best prospect since Crosby at this age.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:39 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
Mackinnon is a great prospect to be sure. He reminds me of a more athletic Eberle with a better shot. Both guys are quick, elusive, and can finish. Eberle was showing a bit more creativity with the puck but Mackinnon is just a lot stronger and more athletic - he's got 40G 90P potential at the NHL for sure.

That said, McDavid has the potential to be a top 3 offensive player in the world in his prime, maybe even # 1 if he can bulk up. He is hands down the best prospect since Crosby at this age.
I think you could make a case for Tavares, he was pretty sick at that age as well. But most people do compare Nate to a mix of Eberle and Giroux.. so it sounds about right.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:54 PM
SmellOfVictory

I think the guy with the Scottish name will really win out in the end.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:01 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I think you could make a case for Tavares, he was pretty sick at that age as well. But most people do compare Nate to a mix of Eberle and Giroux.. so it sounds about right.
I never thought of Tavares as even closely comparable to Crosby because of his skating ability. And while he's improved that, he will never be an elite skater like Crosby. McDavid is already a great skater and has shown better awareness than Tavares at the same age.

But in terms of effectiveness, 15 y/o McDavid will probably put up similar point totals as a 15 y/o Tavares, but I expect they'll be a bit better.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote