HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nathan MacKinnon vs Connor McDavid

View Poll Results: higher ceiling thus far
MacKinnon 99 25.92%
McDavid 283 74.08%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Step Daddy J

vCash: 500
These are great players , but I think Sam Reinhart is more clutch than Mckinnon and Mcdavid . Sam Reinhart will get you're team Stanley Cups and Sam Reinhart will win Con Smythes . I know this thread is about Mckinnon and Mcdavid but I had to throw Sam Reinhart into the equation .

Step Daddy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
McDaxid will be better than MacKinnon. Just like how Tavares was supposed to be better than Stamkos, Larrson was going to better than Hall/Seguin, Yakupov better than RNH, Mackinnon better than Yakupov, etc.
No professional scout thought that Yakupov would be better than RNH, almost all are thinking that Mackinnon is better than Yakupov and C Mcdavid is more talented than neither one of them and is pretty close to RNH.

Also as of huge fan of Connor and RNH i must say that from past 3 years there has only been one guy who is offensively as talented than these two are and that guy is Teravainen. They all have same kinda playing style and they finesse as hell with them passes.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Big MacKinnon fan/proponent and Halifax resident here, but I think the ceiling has to be a bit higher for a 15 year old sharing the same world stage as 17-19 year olds due to his "exceptional status" - especially when you also consider his production to date in the OHL.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Battle of the scots!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
What McDavid is doing at 15 is about as subtle as a blow horn at announcing who has the higher ceiling between the two players.

Mcworraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You hope the lottery is rigged in your favor?

I'm a huge CBJ fan and even I don't want them to rig it for us. That's pretty despicable (rigging the lottery that is).

What I hope for is that it's live and Columbus wins picks #1 (NYR), 2 (LA), and 3 (CBJ). But then if wishes were horses...
Lol. Yes.

We've sucked forever. Time for something to go our way.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 08:04 AM
wings5

I'm guessing McDavid is still the preferred player here?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 08:15 AM
oilpen

Until McDavid has the opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level I'll go with Mack. McDavid in all likelihood will be the better NHL'er but I still think it's close.

oilpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Daddy J View Post
These are great players , but I think Sam Reinhart is more clutch than Mckinnon and Mcdavid . Sam Reinhart will get you're team Stanley Cups and Sam Reinhart will win Con Smythes . I know this thread is about Mckinnon and Mcdavid but I had to throw Sam Reinhart into the equation .

I don't see how one can say who is more clutch out of these three. Why choose Reinhart out of those three?

Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 08:59 AM
The Dream
User Registered

What is the difference between their ceilings? 5 points. I could see MacKinnion scoring between 85-95 points in his prime and I could see McDavid scoring between 90-100 in his prime. So, his potential is slightly higher. I'd rather have the guy I know will not be a total bust.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 09:35 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
I essentially view it like this: McDavid is more talented than MacKinnon, although I do think MacKinnon's strengths work so well in the modern NHL game that I don't think their production will be all that different when all is said and done. Slightly higher upside than MacKinnon, but maybe not quite Crosby-level.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 10:01 AM
lethal
"Let's win it all"

vCash: 550
Eichel

lethal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 10:22 AM
FlaPanthers11
#CatsAreComing

Still Connor. Nothing changed.

FlaPanthers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Conner *might* become the better player in the careers, but I have an extremely hard time buying that McDavid will have a better rookie season over MacKinnon. It's not the amount of points Nathan accumulated, since Skinner was able to put around the same number as well. BUT, it's the impact how MacKinnon scored those points. I mean even in the playoffs, he was the sole player where Ryan Suter (top 3-5 defenseman in the league) had to shutdown or bad things happened against the Wild. Since watching his junior career (McDavid), I haven't really since this ability like I saw with Nathan at the same point in time.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Rendole

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Conner *might* become the better player in the careers, but I have an extremely hard time buying that McDavid will have a better rookie season over MacKinnon. It's not the amount of points Nathan accumulated, since Skinner was able to put around the same number as well. BUT, it's the impact how MacKinnon scored those points. I mean even in the playoffs, he was the sole player where Ryan Suter (top 3-5 defenseman in the league) had to shutdown or bad things happened against the Wild. Since watching his junior career (McDavid), I haven't really since this ability like I saw with Nathan at the same point in time.
Yah Mackinnon is a very special player in his own right, I remember he had something like 7 points in his first 2 playoff games and everyone was preaching he was the next crosby

Rendole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 12:04 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendole View Post
Yah Mackinnon is a very special player in his own right, I remember he had something like 7 points in his first 2 playoff games and everyone was preaching he was the next crosby
Agreed, JSC basically sums up my opinion of this thread.

Quote:
McDavid will be better than MacKinnon. Just like how Tavares was supposed to be better than Stamkos, Larrson was going to better than Hall/Seguin, Yakupov better than RNH, Mackinnon better than Yakupov, etc.
Both are not even close to Crosby's level, and Eichel is closer in terms of talent to McDavid than Bobby Ryan was to Crosby.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 12:06 PM
DayTripper

Quote:
McDaxid will be better than MacKinnon. Just like how Tavares was supposed to be better than Stamkos, Larrson was going to better than Hall/Seguin, Yakupov better than RNH, Mackinnon better than Yakupov, etc.
Well, who could be so crazy...

DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 12:10 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'd say MacKinnon is more than just an average first overall pick. He's hyped more than anyone post Crosby save for Tavares (and maybe Kane and Stamkos).
Kane doesn't fit here.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Kane doesn't fit here.
I know points don't mean that much. But Kane had 145 points in 58 games including 65 goals. I don't think McDavid will even scratch that total. Kane although undersized was a very good prospect.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomAssist View Post
Eichel
As he types on his laptop while sipping on his latte in Starbucks.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:01 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 50
the real question is which "Mc" name is better Mac or Mc?

ihaveyuidonttouchme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Meeqs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Daddy J View Post
Given their careers to date, I dont see how you could say Reinhart is more clutch than Mackinnon.

Meeqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeqs View Post
Given their careers to date, I dont see how you could say Reinhart is more clutch than Mackinnon.
Check the date he posted that.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:42 PM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Well it's not often that the 1st overall pick gets drafted to as production friendly environment as MacKinnon was. I mean most 1st overall picks end up in rebuilding teams with crappy rosters. MacKinnon had an excellent rookie season but let's not pretend that he would've scored as much in FLA/BUF/EDM etc.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Thenameless

MacKinnon. Admittedly, I'm just taking the "bird-in-hand". It's a big step to translate Junior success to the NHL, and Nathan has proven himself admirably. I hope he doesn't go through a sophomore jinx.

I also wish McDavid well. We need all these young gentlemen to carry us to more Olympic Golds.

Thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote