HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Lansdowne Construction Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 12:56 PM
FuriousSenator

vCash: 500
OT - Lansdowne Construction Thread

Hey all,

Lansdowne construction has picked up steam big time. As anyone who has driven by the site lately knows, the whole place is a massive construction site with the underground parking lot nearly finished and the building of the east side berm is getting started.

Just wanted to know if anyone else wants a thread to keep up to date on the construction of the stadium and surrounding area!

Exciting next few months for Lansdowne, Ottawa, and the future CFL team!

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
FuriousSenator

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/La...114/story.html

Old
10-05-2012, 01:54 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

The tears from the "Friends of Lansdowne" sustain me...

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
The tears from the "Friends of Lansdowne" sustain me...

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
Whenever I need a laugh this always cheers me right up

What a bunch of ******* *******

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:36 PM
FuriousSenator

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...846/story.html

New sports merchandise franchise to open at Lansdowne.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Minister of Offence

Better bring some high end retail to the area. It's one big chance for the city to get something people actually care about right. It's about time people don't feel the need to drive to Montreal, Toronto, etc to shop.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Am I the only one here who thinks that the "fans" of Ottawa will not support the team well enough for the city to sustain a football team for long term

2Cowen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks that the "fans" of Ottawa will not support the team well enough for the city to sustain a football team for long term
For the first little while at least, new Lansdowne park is going to be a place people want to be. That alone should make football sustainable short-term and give them a good chance to hold onto people long-term.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:42 AM
BK201

Quote:
Hard to say really. But considering they also want to bring in MLS I see this being busy more than just football nights.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:49 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
I despise this attitude. ANY sport can work if it is well managed. Wouldn't you like some kind of sporting distraction when the Sens are locked out twice a decade?

Not to mention the fact it is an embarrassment the Canadian CAPITAL lacks a CANADIAN football team.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Better bring some high end retail to the area. It's one big chance for the city to get something people actually care about right. It's about time people don't feel the need to drive to Montreal, Toronto, etc to shop.
I'm hoping that Nordstrom sprouting up in the Rideau Centre will start a tide of reputable merchants coming to town. H&M has also said that they're particularly horny to get into this market as well - they may show up in Bayshore after the expansion.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I'm hoping that Nordstrom sprouting up in the Rideau Centre will start a tide of reputable merchants coming to town. H&M has also said that they're particularly horny to get into this market as well - they may show up in Bayshore after the expansion.
Ya exactly. It's about time.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I think that anyone with a long enough memory to remember the horrific crash & burn that was Les Ailes Du Mode at Bayshore can tell you that it's not the right mall for large-scale high-end retail.

That being said, I think H&M is a pretty good fit for Bayshore, but anyone getting any ideas about anything glamorous and/or high-end landing in that mall can forget about it.

Speaking of crazy high-end malls, I was in Singapore a few weeks ago, and stayed in a hotel on Orchard Road, which is like the Rodeo Drive of Southeast Asia. I swear, I can't make this up - there was a Louis Vuitton store , and literally across the street from it, not 100 feet away?... yep, you guessed it: another Louis Vuitton store. It was kitty-corner to the Dolce & Gabbana store. I felt like I was going to get charged $100 just for looking in the general direction of that intersection.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think that anyone with a long enough memory to remember the horrific crash & burn that was Les Ailes Du Mode at Bayshore can tell you that it's not the right mall for large-scale high-end retail.

That being said, I think H&M is a pretty good fit for Bayshore, but anyone getting any ideas about anything glamorous and/or high-end landing in that mall can forget about it.

Speaking of crazy high-end malls, I was in Singapore a few weeks ago, and stayed in a hotel on Orchard Road, which is like the Rodeo Drive of Southeast Asia. I swear, I can't make this up - there was a Louis Vuitton store , and literally across the street from it, not 100 feet away?... yep, you guessed it: another Louis Vuitton store. It was kitty-corner to the Dolce & Gabbana store. I felt like I was going to get charged $100 just for looking in the general direction of that intersection.
How was Singapore? In respect to the thread topic, we'll keep this exchange short. I'm just interested.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
How was Singapore? In respect to the thread topic, we'll keep this exchange short. I'm just interested.
It was very cool. It seems like a really, really hella-fun place to be (which depends on your definition of "fun", I suppose, seeing as how alcohol is CRAZY over-taxed over there - a $7 bottle of wine in Ontario was like $25 there).

I wanted to stay in the world famous Marina Bay Sands hotel, with their infinity pool (if you have a fear of heights, do not google that), but the wife used her executive veto and instead we stayed in a Holiday Inn. A $600/night Holiday in (her work paid for it).

We did the Night Safari with the kids (basically a unique world-class zoo full of nocturnal animals, that you go at night to see them when they're up and active), which was good. And we did some other tourist-y things. Oh, and we drank a lot: There's a very ingrained "executive culture" there that caters to... well, executives. Which they foolishly thought we were, because my wife's work paid for our fabulously extravagant accommodations. Those accommodations got us access to a bunch of "executive lounges", which were ridiculously opulent. I mean, my daughter asked if they had hot chocolate, and the did not... so instead they melted $12 Swiss chocolates into warm milk for her. It was like a $48 hot chocolate. Ridiculous.

Also, the shopping was insane. You can easily tell why everyone in SE Asia goes to Singapore to shop, the whole city/country is built around malls. They're everywhere, and unlike the malls in Ottawa, they're built UP, not OUT. I was in a mall that had 14 floors. It was crazy.

So yeah, Singapore is good times. Expensive, expensive good times. I highly recommend it, if you are anywhere nearby, and have the good fortune of having your workplace subsidize your entertainment expenditures.

PM me with any other Q's, as I agree that this isn't the "Bonktastic's Adventures in Asia" thread.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
It was very cool. It seems like a really, really hella-fun place to be (which depends on your definition of "fun", I suppose, seeing as how alcohol is CRAZY over-taxed over there - a $7 bottle of wine in Ontario was like $25 there).

I wanted to stay in the world famous Marina Bay Sands hotel, with their infinity pool (if you have a fear of heights, do not google that), but the wife used her executive veto and instead we stayed in a Holiday Inn. A $600/night Holiday in (her work paid for it).

We did the Night Safari with the kids (basically a unique world-class zoo full of nocturnal animals, that you go at night to see them when they're up and active), which was good. And we did some other tourist-y things. Oh, and we drank a lot: There's a very ingrained "executive culture" there that caters to... well, executives. Which they foolishly thought we were, because my wife's work paid for our fabulously extravagant accommodations. Those accommodations got us access to a bunch of "executive lounges", which were ridiculously opulent. I mean, my daughter asked if they had hot chocolate, and the did not... so instead they melted $12 Swiss chocolates into warm milk for her. It was like a $48 hot chocolate. Ridiculous.

Also, the shopping was insane. You can easily tell why everyone in SE Asia goes to Singapore to shop, the whole city/country is built around malls. They're everywhere, and unlike the malls in Ottawa, they're built UP, not OUT. I was in a mall that had 14 floors. It was crazy.

So yeah, Singapore is good times. Expensive, expensive good times. I highly recommend it, if you are anywhere nearby, and have the good fortune of having your workplace subsidize your entertainment expenditures.

PM me with any other Q's, as I agree that this isn't the "Bonktastic's Adventures in Asia" thread.
That's awesome, I'm in a cross-cultural management class and this whole executive focus in Singapore is something we've touched on. We'll leave it at that, good stuff man.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
SENSfreak_03

Final vote passes 21-3, it's over. Time to build.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM
FuriousSenator

Confirmed (not surprisingly):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...agreement.html

Let the shovels hit the ground!

I know a few people in municipal engineering and they think the underground parking garage could be done as early as this November, then the south side stands will start taking shape as a foundation is dug.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Yipee!!!

This is great for Ottawa.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
Confirmed (not surprisingly):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...agreement.html

Let the shovels hit the ground!

I know a few people in municipal engineering and they think the underground parking garage could be done as early as this November, then the south side stands will start taking shape as a foundation is dug.
Is it basically the same design? As in will the North be covered and the South side uncovered? I used to love that about the Frank Clair..

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Holy ****, Ottawa is building light rail and fixing Lansdowne.

Maybe the world is going to end in December.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:08 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Is it basically the same design? As in will the North be covered and the South side uncovered? I used to love that about the Frank Clair..
The plan can be seen in this video (though slight modifications have been made since its release), with new stadium design, and surrounding area.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
FuriousSenator

Not pictured of course is the large underground parking lot (under construction now) which is going to sit underneath the retail buildings north of the stands.