HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Part XII: Connor Brown is a Steal

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 10:55 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 500
If Reilly could show the same progression as OEL I would be very happy.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Interactif

Going to give Percy some love in this thread, a lot of talk of Finn and Rielly and rightfully so. But Stuart is quietly having a very good year thus far. Definite top 2 pairing D man with tremendous understated value.

You almost want to fast forward to 2 years time, when Finn, Rielly, and Percy are all patrolling the blueline for the Leafs, hopefully we can keep them all together and add them to Gardiner and Dion. I am not one to make hyperbolic statements, but you have potentially the makings of a championship defence with these 5 guys. Just need a #1G.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:00 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Going to give Percy some love in this thread, a lot of talk of Finn and Rielly and rightfully so. But Stuart is quietly having a very good year thus far. Definite top 2 pairing D man with tremendous understated value.

You almost want to fast forward to 2 years time, when Finn, Rielly, and Percy are all patrolling the blueline for the Leafs, hopefully we can keep them all together and add them to Gardiner and Dion. I am not one to make hyperbolic statements, but you have potentially the makings of a championship defence with these 5 guys. Just need a #1G.
I think it's unlikely all are on the blueline at 20-21 years old lol Not sure that's the best recipe for success..

I know what you were getting at though. Good talent coming through on the blueline.

10-21-2012, 11:00 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

How are they gonna share the ice!

I think you may be right about these guys. Burke and Morrison seem to have done well so far getting these guys. I wish they had the eye for centers though.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:02 AM
JVReemer

Including Gardiner, and defense n potential/quality of prospect, how would you guys rate our top 5 defense prospects?

Mine:

1. Reilly (Based on potential)
2. Gardiner
3. Finn
4. Percy
5. Holzer

Old
10-21-2012, 11:03 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Including Gardiner, and defense n potential/quality of prospect, how would you guys rate our top 5 defense prospects?

Mine:

2. Gardiner
3. Finn
4. Percy
5. Holzer
From what I hear, Percy has the best defensive potential, which could put him at the top of that list. Plus lets not leave out Blacker. He should make as at least a solid 2way bottom pairing guy.

In a few years time we will be delving less and less in the FA market. I love that thought.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
How are they gonna share the ice!

I think you may be right about these guys. Burke and Morrison seem to have done well so far getting these guys. I wish they had the eye for centers though.
Forgot to mention, and not to be undersold, all 3 have tremendous leadership qualities. It's an exciting prospect seeing these guys develop and perhaps all in the same lineup playing with the big team.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:05 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

Mine:

2. Gardiner
3. Finn
4. Percy
5. Holzer
Dont forget about Blacker who is a strong defensive two-way D. Can fit nice next to Gardiner in a few years time.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:07 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Forgot to mention, and not to be undersold, all 3 have tremendous leadership qualities. It's an exciting prospect seeing these guys develop and perhaps all in the same lineup playing with the big team.
I really think one of them will end up packaged in a trade to fill a hole. We still have 2 huge needs.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Percy, Blacker and Finn are all from the Toronto region too. Suck it Cherry.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Interactif

Quote:

Mine:

2. Gardiner
3. Finn
4. Percy
5. Holzer
Really tough question, like them all. Value wise, all high.

But I would go if we were in the playoffs one day and based on projection on how our defence will look:

1. Rielly
2. Phaneuf
3/4. Finn/Percy (too tight to call)
3/4. Percy/Finn
5. Gardiner

Old
10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
JVReemer

Ahh I always forget about Blacker! My mistake, I would have him in Holders place. And regarding the above poster speaking of Percy, I agree he may have the highest defense upside, but I don't think he will have the same impact as the players I listed above him.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:10 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
Has anyone been watching Josh Leivo? Any info on him would be appreciated.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I really think one of them will end up packaged in a trade to fill a hole. We still have 2 huge needs.
Blacker, Holzer, Gunnar before those 3.

Older guy Liles has some value.

It would take a monsterous trade for me to trade any of Rielly, Finn, or Percy. Throw in Jake also. But if it improves the team, then you have to consider it.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:12 AM
JVReemer

Quote:
Really tough question, like them all. Value wise, all high.

But I would go if we were in the playoffs one day and based on projection on how our defence will look:

1. Rielly
2. Phaneuf
3/4. Finn/Percy (too tight to call)
3/4. Percy/Finn
5. Gardiner
I disagree with Gardiner at 5, swapping he and Percy makes sense Imo. Gardiner has way too much talent for the third pairing.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Interactif

I hope Jesse shows some improvement this year, I'm not as high on him as others are. He would make a good sweetner, in a possible trade.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:14 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Blacker, Holzer, Gunnar before those 3.

Older guy Liles has some value.

It would take a monsterous trade for me to trade any of Rielly, Finn, or Percy. Throw in Jake also. But if it improves the team, then you have to consider it.
I'd only do it for a young 1C. I also wouldn't move one until they are fighting for space in the NHL. Maybe in a few years, when a pending FA like Stamkos wants out. If that were to happen

By the 15-16 season, we should see what these kids can do. That's the last year of Stamkos contract. It's just a timing speculation, and wishful thinking, so don't freak out fellas.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I disagree with Gardiner at 5, swapping he and Percy makes sense Imo. Gardiner has way too much talent for the third pairing.
I put Gardiner at #5, mostly because I see the other guys as better defensive players. In the NHL playoffs, you want to throw out a D man in a tight situation and know they are not going to hurt you. Nothing wrong with Jake, just see him more one dimensional, but it's a very good dimension to have.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I'd only do it for a young 1C. I also wouldn't move one until they are fighting for space in the NHL. Maybe in a few years, when a pending FA like Stamkos wants out. If that were to happen

By the 15-16 season, we should see what these kids can do. That's the last year of Stamkos contract. It's just a timing speculation, and wishful thinking, so don't freak out fellas.
I think we have enough in terms of players on the current roster to do a deal for a top Center like Getzlaf.

But if a team insists on a prospect, and Biggs, Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, or Percy are on this. I would say no. These guys are deal breakers.

But say there was a deal and Kessel was the center piece, Will give you only 1 or 2 of Kadri, Colborne, Ashton, Frattin, Blacker, Holzer, Ross, Mckegg, before this happening but it would take something crazy to give up the top guys.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Mine:

2. Gardiner
3. Finn
4. Percy
5. Holzer
I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to include a Gold Medal winning defender on that list before someone like Percy, maybe another European before Holzer.

But since there is no way to tell we can't say you are wrong and someone else is right.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I know this is the prospects thread but IMO any projected defence that doesn't have Carl Gunnarsson in it is crazy.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I know this is the prospects thread but IMO any projected defence that doesn't have Carl Gunnarsson in it is crazy.
Ulf's favorite player might make Carl redundant in a Leafs uniform. He's not a make it or break it player in a trade. I like Carl but when some of these prospects are suiting up in a Leafs uniform, he will be moving down the ladder of the depth chart, that's if we can sign him after this season. My bet is he will be dealt before then.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Ulf's favorite player might make Carl redundant in a Leafs uniform. He's not a make it or break it player in a trade. I like Carl but when some of these prospects are suiting up in a Leafs uniform, he will be moving down the ladder of the depth chart, that's if we can sign him after this season. My bet is he will be dealt before then.
Carl provides a lot of mistake free minutes. You don't trade that unless you know that you've got someone who can replace that...unless it's in a deal to improve the team.

I guess what I'm saying is that don't trade Carl just because we think Finn or Percy can replace him.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Carl provides a lot of mistake free minutes. You don't trade that unless you know that you've got someone who can replace that...unless it's in a deal to improve the team.

I guess what I'm saying is that don't trade Carl just because we think Finn or Percy can replace him.
That's what Gm's are paid to do however, you weigh the pros and cons, and you make the best call in hopes of bringing a championship to the city. Keeping an eye on the end result. There's risk in not dealing either, works both ways.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:57 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to include a Gold Medal winning defender on that list before someone like Percy, maybe another European before Holzer.

But since there is no way to tell we can't say you are wrong and someone else is right.
I think Dion will be our best Dman still in 5 years. I think he's underrated and will look better with better support.

Closed Thread