HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How many games will be played this season?

View Poll Results: How many games will be played this season?
none 22 35.48%
40+ 6 9.68%
50+ 6 9.68%
60+ 11 17.74%
70+ 9 14.52%
full season 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-21-2012, 04:29 AM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
How many games will be played this season?

Just wondering what everyone thinks. IMO its going to look alot like the NBA season last year. So I voted 60+.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I am staying optimistic because where things stand now I believe there is a deal to be made that will in return still provide a full 82 game NHL season.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:51 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I said 70+
I think a deal may happen soon, but not soon enough to cram a whole season in

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

almost pulled the trigger on the "None" option, because I don't think the owners are going to move as much as the players need to, but I think that somehow some semblance of reason is going to enter the picture in the next couple of weeks,, went with 70+

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I also think that if a deal isnt reached to begin the season November 2nd, then we will be in this for the long haul and won't see hockey until January. If not January, no season at all.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

I hovered over full, then none, and settled for 70+

Not sure why I selected that option. I think if a deal isn't made by the end of the week it's toast. If it is... then we can still play a whole season.

10-21-2012, 08:07 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
I went with 70+. I say they start American Thanks-giving weekend. Too late for full season but should be able to manage approx 72.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
tgo0

Went with 40+

Think they'll be back on Jan 1 for the Winter Classics, probably something like a 41 game schedule (although if they push back the end of the regular season could be around 60). If they're not back by Jan 1 then I don't see any way they have a season this year.

tgo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:54 AM
sully1410

I'm choosing optimism. I selected full season.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
My optimism's been shattered, I said none. It's like two 5-year-olds arguing over the nicer toy.

10-22-2012, 02:42 AM
TroubaFan1

Interesting results thus far. I honestly didn't expect this much doom and gloom.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
Interesting results thus far. I honestly didn't expect this much doom and gloom.
There's always the potential for doom and gloom when self interests come before anything else. Both the NHL and NHLPA could careless about the fans and that's shown by their lack of actually coming up with some type of compromise. Most fans on the other hand will support the product no matter what (raising prices, lockout, strike, etc...). Then you can fully understand why the owners and players could careless in the end if they lose the whole season.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:45 AM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
There's always the potential for doom and gloom when self interests come before anything else. Both the NHL and NHLPA could careless about the fans and that's shown by their lack of actually coming up with some type of compromise. Most fans on the other hand will support the product no matter what (raising prices, lockout, strike, etc...). Then you can fully understand why the owners and players could careless in the end if they lose the whole season.
If the league locks out the whole season again, I won't spend another dime on the NHL. Hopefully im not alone in this.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:23 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
If the league locks out the whole season again, I won't spend another dime on the NHL. Hopefully im not alone in this.
Meh. I have a line but it's not there yet.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:41 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgo0 View Post
Went with 40+

Think they'll be back on Jan 1 for the Winter Classics, probably something like a 41 game schedule (although if they push back the end of the regular season could be around 60). If they're not back by Jan 1 then I don't see any way they have a season this year.
According to Bettman, the deadline for for whether or not the NHL commits to spending millions to put on the Winter Classic is fast approaching, and if they don't have labor deal in place soon, they won't pull the trigger on it. If that's true, negotiations would have to come to a favorable conclusion quickly or that game is scrubbed anyway, even if 3/4 of the season still gets played. The NHL probably has a little more flexibility than he's saying, but it sounds like the game won't happen if a deal isn't done by the start of December.

It seems like all or nothing to me. 82 or 0. Today I clicked None. Maybe if it wasn't Monday morning I would have clicked Full Season.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Meh. I have a line but it's not there yet.
If the NHL and the NHLPA can't come to an agreement, and have 2 missed seasons in 8 years. They do not deserve any of our money.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

They are the only professional sport to do this crap, and they look mightily silly for it.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

I firmly believe that the deal gets done this week. If not, and it's due to "principle", I don't know what to say.

There's a deal on the table: 50-50. Only question is how they get there. They're (mostly) smart people - there has to be a solution that's palatable to both sides. Even if the direct monetary losses to the owners can be weathered over this year, the loss of potential overall franchise value and good will regarding sponsors will be more difficult to overcome in the long term. Both sides will "lose".

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Meh, whatever happens, I'll be back. I am not losing my ST, I still want my Jets merch, I still want beer/snacks at the game, I still need to park to get to the game. Jets will still be getting my money, even if they lock out for the entire year, even if it goes on for two years. That won't matter.

I am a huge NHL fan, I will be back.

And I do think that this deal gets signed this week. It is neither sides best interests to say "we are close to a deal". The first side to say that says we folding, plus it will look good when it's signed to say we came together last minute, etc. I really don't think they are nearly so far away as they claim, if you review the deals closely you will see they really are not that far apart. I think both sides want this deal done and now. This is NOT like 04, in 04 the sides were not even talking, you would go months between meetings.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I had a big response to this bu HFboards crapped out on me.

I think you will be alone, or at least in a generally negligible crowed. I heard a lot of guff last lockout, all of which turned out to be hollow.

Does it make it worse there doing it again? sure , but i really don't think most of those who say "thats it, i'm done" will NOT be watching when the puck finally drop, most people are too pragmatic to get overly offended in "principle" about these thigns.

I love hockey. I love it enough that i hate losing a season to a lockout. But I also love it enough that i'll deal with losing a season if it means a better likelihood of the sucess of my franchise and the league/sport as a whole. Frankly i'm just a bit to jaded on "principle" and "fairness" to deprive myself of something i enjoy was muich as watching hockey over it...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
If the NHL and the NHLPA can't come to an agreement, and have 2 missed seasons in 8 years. They do not deserve any of our money.
I can agree with your sentiment, but there will always be someone willing to pickup your share, so in the end it will just be your own personal choice. I respect that, but it won't make enough of a difference (similar to politics) as long as others pay their money out. The NHL and NHLPA knows this and can continue with these types of situations now and in the future.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I can agree with that is your line and a reasonable one for you to have... just not reasonable for me.
The general population will be back but I'm sure there are some that won't be, and you may indeed be one of those.

It is true that the only way for a fan to actually have any sort of leverage is for mass leaving of the sport. Although slightly comical interpretation here:
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/9/4/nhl-f...d-just-go-away

Slightly off topic, some almost comical but very interesting reads by the same guy:
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/9/25/your...e-nhl-barnyard
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/9/19/leng...nterest-in-nhl

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:44 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
It is all about money. Unfortunately, the fans don't have a voice. If we got together and, say, skipped a game at the start of the season, that might say something. But really, that wouldn't even accomplish anything. I think Michael Farber got it right a couple weeks ago on TSN:

Quote:
The fans almost never have a say in these [negotiations]. They’re the pawn who will be played out. And when it’s all over at some point — there will be hockey eventually — the NHL will have “Thank you, fans” — remember that stencil on the ice afterwards? I mean, there will be some kind of sucking up to the fans. But neither side is about the fans. This is about two sides trying to reach an agreement. -- http://hockeyfansunion.com/the-nhl-l...ns/2012-10-09/
The only way the NHL and NHLPA would pay attention is if there were a competing league like the WHA on the radar. But I think the NHL has enough of a monopoly and enough power to say, great, where are you going to play? You can't just start up a new league at the drop of a hat. But if this does drag on for more than a season ... you never know.

At the end of the day, high ticket prices are good for the league and the players. Neither group has the fans' interest in mind. The only way ticket prices go down is supply/demand, which would mean less fans or more seats. Will the NHL piss off enough fans so demand for tickets goes down?

Last edited by fatschoonerrat: 10-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.
fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote